PDA

View Full Version : Who to Invite

mina'smomma
09-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Ok I'm sure all mom's have been through this. I'm working on the guest list for Cadience's first birthday party, but here is my problem. Hubby and I come from big families and I'm already at 20 people and that is just on my side of the family. Now since Cadie was born the end of November there is no way to have it outside so I'm looking at having to cut the list and find a venue to rent for this. Plus her party will have to be the weekend after Thanksgiving. HELPPPPPPPP:confused::confused:How can I cut the guest list without offending anyone.

Freedom
09-30-2008, 11:42 AM
How many of these people have children? Do they invite you to their children's birthdays? I mean, since you are speaking of family, they would need a location to hold an indoor event as well! That is one way to eliminate some.

How often does Cadience see these people? Include the ones she sees regularly, and not the others.

Just some thoughts to get you started.

Cataholic
09-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Jonah had his first real party several weeks ago- he turned 4. Truly, I think anything large for a first birthday is time , MONEY, and energy misspent. Certainly the party isn't for the baby. Why not just have your husband and grandparents celebrate? Or, maybe even just husband? I know I will take some flack for this but I just don't see the point. Babies this age are so fragile with large groups of people, are on such set schedules for naps/feedings...it just doesn't seem to work. Not to mention that large groups of people in small places only increases the amount of germs.

My opinion. Not right, wrong or anything else.

caseysmom
09-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Jonah had his first real party several weeks ago- he turned 4. Truly, I think anything large for a first birthday is time , MONEY, and energy misspent. Certainly the party isn't for the baby. Why not just have your husband and grandparents celebrate? Or, maybe even just husband? I know I will take some flack for this but I just don't see the point. Babies this age are so fragile with large groups of people, are on such set schedules for naps/feedings...it just doesn't seem to work. Not to mention that large groups of people in small places only increases the amount of germs.

My opinion. Not right, wrong or anything else.

I totally agree! I had a big first party for my girls and now I think...why?

Cataholic
09-30-2008, 01:19 PM
It is so easy to get caught up in all the hoopla. I don't think I even got a Christmas present for Jonah on his 1st Christmas. He was 3 months old! LOL...Santa agreed with me. :)

For his fourth, it was a pirate theme, and I kept it pretty low key. Family and about 5 of his little friends. Great time, the most expensive thing was the sandwhiches from Kroger for the adults.

caseysmom
09-30-2008, 01:22 PM
I did so many things that my girls don't remember at all. They remember any bad thing from years ago though...go figure.

My Dad was getting alzheimers and my mom was in charge of getting the cake for me, my dad picked it up sideways and it broke..I was devastated....I bought another cake...I went a little nuts:rolleyes:

Karen
09-30-2008, 02:45 PM
I would say "keep it small" as even as big as she's getting, not everyone is going to be able to see her open her presents if there are 20 people there! I'd make it just closest family - grandparents, maybe a couple aunts/uncles/cousins if they regularly visit - people Cadience is used to. A small party with a few people will be a lot easier to manage, and Cadience will have a better time if you are not stressed and trying to manage a mob scene! Just take a lot of pictures, and if Cadience will talk (babble, anyway) on the phone, she can make birthday phone calls!

sparks19
09-30-2008, 02:58 PM
I would say invite the people that see her regularly.

We had a pretty big party for Hannah's first birthday. I know she won't remember it but I will remember it for the rest of my life... so in essence the party was more for the adults than it was for Hannah lol. We had almost 30 people in our little house. there were about 6 children here and hannah really enjoyed them.

But.... many of those people were also invited because Brian's parents were coming in from Florida and they don't get to see this side of the family very often so it was more than just for a first birthday party.

If it weren't for that the list would have been cut down to just the people that see her most often.

Either way... don't stress yourself out about it. You will always remember her first birthday and you want it to be a pleasant memory.