PDA

View Full Version : My other mother talks to fish

StarandBratsmom
09-30-2008, 10:10 AM
My future mother in law (I hope, if her son every asks me to marry him) has fish, each one has a name and a personality. She talks to them on a daily basis, and they actually respond to her. Are fish really that intelligent? She also talks to her water frog.

Zippy
09-30-2008, 11:30 AM
I talk to Liberty every day.I know he is listening.I usually swims around more when I talk to him.He also does wiggledances.I used to play a game with my late betta Nemo.I would make a fishface and when I did he would flare.I don't know about other fish but bettas are very intelligant fish with big personialtys.

IRescue452
09-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Fish are pretty smart. They're certainly capable of learning tricks and commands with reinforcement techniques. I'm pretty sure they can pick out certain voice tones too. Predator species like bettas and cichlids seem to be among the smartest, goldfish as well. The smeller prey species aren't quite up to their level.

StarandBratsmom
10-03-2008, 08:14 AM
We had a lot of cats growing up so we didn't have fish. We had them once but I think they all panicked with 5 pairs of cat eyes staring in their tank all the time.

chocolatepuppy
10-04-2008, 09:48 PM
I talk to my fish. ;)

king2005
10-07-2008, 07:35 AM
As others said, fish are quite smart.

When Mango was a live he would be scared of new people, but if he saw someone he has seen before he would charge the tank & try to kill them, while splashing water everywhere. Mango was by far NOT friendly. I had to go in armed with a spoon, but he learned how to get that away from me. SO I used a fork.. Nope, he got that away from me too.. so I used a errrrr... brain fart... pancake flipper:o Darn fish learned how to take that too... People always asked why my kitchen was inside the fish tank. I'd answer, I was trying to get the guard back onto the intake, but Mango kept trying to attack me :rolleyes:

cloverfdx
10-09-2008, 07:53 AM
I talk to mine as well and they respond :). They are not as dumb as some people think ;).