PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back winter....

Glacier
09-29-2008, 10:25 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Scenery08/yardsnow.jpg
It started snowing a couple hours ago and it's still coming down.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Scenery08/housesnow.jpg
My cozy little house and a herd of wild huskies!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Scenery08/doggydinner.jpg
The dogs did take a short break from their game of chase and wrestle to eat dinner in the snow! They are now back to enjoying the snow. Even Daisy came over to play with her buddies!

blue
09-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Dang!

We are still a few weeks off from our first snow, it is creeping down the mountains though.

chocolatepuppy
09-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Yay! Snow! Lots of great Glacier pictures coming soon.:D

Daisy and Delilah
09-29-2008, 10:38 PM
YAY YAY YAY!!!! I know all of you are ready to go!!:)

RICHARD
09-30-2008, 12:02 AM
All those DOGS SHOULD BE INDOORS!;)

Karen
09-30-2008, 12:13 AM

Ahem - she has tried that - and some of individuals are so convinced they are outdoor dogs that the door was nearly destroyed in the attempt to get back outside!

You think Eddie can be insistent? Ramp him up in scale, energy level and voice by a factor of ten - and give him non-retractable claws ...

blue
09-30-2008, 12:15 AM
The millitary base on Adak had standing orders that all the base dogs remain outdoors for the dogs own well being.

Glacier
09-30-2008, 12:15 AM

LOL, most of them will be shortly...just so the neighbors don't have to listen to howling at 2am! But getting a husky to come inside during a fresh snow....not gonna happen!

RICHARD
09-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Ahem - she has tried that - and some of individuals are so convinced they are outdoor dogs that the door was nearly destroyed in the attempt to get back outside!

You think Eddie can be insistent? Ramp him up in scale, energy level and voice by a factor of ten - and give him non-retractable claws ...

LOL,
Karen, don't you think I know that!:)

I have a Maine Coon PIT BULL, Smaller, a higher pitched whine-one that isn't as loud and retractable claws!:)

--------

2 a.m.? I thought the sun never went down in Alaska!

I just chose a smaller version of grief!:D

Glacier
09-30-2008, 12:22 AM
LOL,
--------

2 a.m.? I thought the sun never went down in Alaska!

Oh, Richard, I'm not in Alaska...I'm a Canadian in the Yukon! The sun never sets in the summer, but it goes down earlier and earlier every day this time of year!

Glacier
09-30-2008, 12:25 AM
YAY YAY YAY!!!! I know all of you are ready to go!!:)

Oh we are so far away from ready to go it's not even funny. We haven't even done a training run yet this fall. The brakes on the ATV are broken; finding parts for a 22 year old machine isn't easy! No way to stop or slow down + 8 dogs equals trouble!

Plus I don't have a truly reliable command leader anymore. Tehya's not quite ready to take over; Anvik might be but I've never run him up front without Pingo or Paxil. I'm sure a new leader will show up sooner or later, but until then, it's a problem!

RICHARD
09-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Oh, Richard, I'm not in Alaska...I'm a Canadian in the Yukon! The sun never sets in the summer, but it goes down earlier and earlier every day this time of year!

LOL,
SOmeone told me that there were houses in ALaska. That dang Sara Palin!!:eek::o:(

blue
09-30-2008, 12:35 AM
LOL,
SOmeone told me that there were houses in ALaska. That dang Sara Palin!!:eek::o:(

I own one o dem houses in Alaska and Mrs Palin is my Gov.

jennielynn1970
09-30-2008, 03:12 AM
I own one o dem houses in Alaska and Mrs Palin is my Gov.

I'm so sorry (that she's your governor).... are you one of them Alaskans that goes out your front door every morning to look to see if there are any errant Russians in your yard, and if they don't have a good reason to be there, you tell them to "Shoo!" like Mrs. Palin does?! ;) :p

Freedom
09-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Tamara, those photos look so -- EARLY!! I am still enjoying the high 60's and wondering where the 70's went to. :confused: I am glad you love the weather where you live!

That second photo, with the dogs all bouncing around on front of your home, that really made me smile! Is that Anvik front and center on his rear legs? What a happy bunch of dogs!

Glacier
09-30-2008, 12:00 PM
That second photo, with the dogs all bouncing around on front of your home, that really made me smile! Is that Anvik front and center on his rear legs? What a happy bunch of dogs!

Yes, that's Anvik, doing his happy dog bounce moves. He's such a doofus! :D The other little blurs are Mac, Tehya and Earle.

Jenn...you just about made me spit coffee all over my monitor! ROFL @ shooing errant Russians!

joycenalex
09-30-2008, 05:28 PM
tamara, is that a ladder on the roof? and if so, why? :confused: curious minds would like to know

Glacier
09-30-2008, 06:14 PM
tamara, is that a ladder on the roof? and if so, why? :confused: curious minds would like to know

Yup, it's a ladder. It's permanently attached to the roof. We heat with wood so the chimney needs to be cleaned frequently. The roof is tin and it's slippery, especially in the winter. The ladder allows safe access to the chimney. Stuart finds enough ways to injure himself! He doesn't need to add falling off the roof to his list!

Daisy and Delilah
09-30-2008, 07:02 PM
I hope you all have a blast!! Can't wait for the great pics and videos. :)

Casper
09-30-2008, 07:28 PM
I am sitting here green with envy, but still smiling ear to ear from seeing all those pups enjoying it so much!

People around here are saying it is going to be a harsh winter this year... I sure hope we at least get some snow! If not, I might have you send a cooler full of it down here. ;-)

shepgirl
09-30-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm sitting here NOT grinning. We had one of the coldest rains today with everyone wearing winter jackets. And they are predicting rain mixed with snow for Thursday and I am praying they made a mistake. I am so not ready for another cold spell and white stuff.
Glacier we heat with wood also, one of those airtight fireplaces. We burn those special logs to clean out the chimney and find it works real well, have not had to clean it once in 4 yrs. Do you have those out your way? Beats falling off a roof..or calling a chimney sweep.

Glacier
09-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Glacier we heat with wood also, one of those airtight fireplaces. We burn those special logs to clean out the chimney and find it works real well, have not had to clean it once in 4 yrs. Do you have those out your way? Beats falling off a roof..or calling a chimney sweep.

We could get them, but the manufacturer of our stove(Vermont Castings) doesn't recommend them and our insurance agent won't guarentee fire coverage unless we can prove the chimney has been cleaned reguarly.

blue
10-01-2008, 12:00 AM
I'm so sorry (that she's your governor).... are you one of them Alaskans that goes out your front door every morning to look to see if there are any errant Russians in your yard, and if they don't have a good reason to be there, you tell them to "Shoo!" like Mrs. Palin does?! ;) :p

Dont be sorry, alot of Alaskans are happy with her. I and my neighbors are well armed we dont need to worry about the Russians. We dont tell them shoo, they know better.

finn's mom
10-01-2008, 07:26 AM
How fun! Snow! It's still warm here. Silly Texas, we only get a couple weeks of winter. :rolleyes:

I love your little house and your wild huskies!

Cinder & Smoke
10-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Hey Musher Girl ~

You start with that *S*N*O*W* Stuff WAAAAAy too early!!

We're still waitin for more Kayak snappies!

:cool:

sumbirdy
10-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Awww....I want snow! We're still in the upper 70's/lower 80's. Pics are beautiful! If I lived in a colder place you'd probably find one of your dogs missing. lol . Just kidding. I don't think they'd like Oklahoma. I've seen people with Huskies here, I don't think it's very nice to keep them somewhere where it MIGHT snow once a year (and that melts over night)

Hellow
10-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Sadly, the leaves are still green on the trees in my area, obviously it has not gotten cold enough for them to change yet.

EDIT: It was almost 39*F here this morning, so maybe it is cold enough.

IRescue452
10-02-2008, 10:25 AM
No snow yet for me please.