PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Rabbit! Help!

Desert Arabian
09-29-2008, 12:00 PM
http://a802.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/6/l_d33563bf37d333fa497f536840f432d9.jpg

Normally my fat Peanut is a little princess. She is never aggressive towards me and has never bit me intentionally - a few times on accident when she grabs treats from my fingers. She has bit my boyfriend hard and it drew blood, for some reason she does not like him. She is incredibly food aggressive with my two other rabbits Buster and Nibbles and I'm down right sick and tired of it. Whenever I put treats (veggies, store bought, etc) in the pen she lunges at them, snorts, and bites them. Many times ripping out fur, one time she made Buster's nose bleed a little. I shout at her NO and tap her hinny if I can reach her. I try to give her her portion immediately in the opposite corner of the cage to distract her, but if she see them reach for treats out of my hand she will spin around and attack them. If there are no treats around, she is fine with them- they get along great. She goes berserk especially when I give them their Oxbow pineapple papaya tablets- she goes ballistic. I've also tried a squirt bottle filled with water to zap her when she attacks them- it stops her for a few seconds but it's not enough to stop her completely. She will also chase them around their pen biting at Buster or Nibbles behinds.

Any suggestions on how I can curb her extreme food aggression!? HELP!

Karen
09-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Goodness, gracious. Is she spayed?

I would just try separating them at feeding time, poor guys. And Peanut *looks* so sweet!

Desert Arabian
09-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Yes, she is spayed!

Karen
10-01-2008, 11:38 AM
I guess it's just part of Peanut being Peanut then, her food aggressiveness. Do you "double clap" loudly when she does it? (Human equivalent of 'danger' thump for rabbits.) That's the only thing that ever works that I know of with bunny training ... But of course it didn't always work with Miss Hoppy. She was an only bunny for good reason!

Catty1
10-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Sounds like she needs her own cage, to be away from the others.

From what you said about your bf, I think it is jealousy aggression...when someone or the other bunnies seem to be paying attention to you, she wants all the attention. Might be something like that playing in also.

Either that - or bunny Prozac. But I am sure you wouldn't want to give her meds.

Karen
10-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Catty1, have you had any experience owning rabbits? I do not think Peanut needs her own cage, rabbits do like to be together and bond, and she said in general they get along well. Peanut's aggression is apparently only food-based. I do think she may need to be fed separately, but that is different than being removed entirely from her friends.

Marigold2
12-01-2008, 03:31 PM
I have found this behavior to be more in the females then the males. Perhpas you could feed them at different times or get a new cage for her. She is awful cute and I am sure a pleasure 99% of the time.

Husky_mom
12-01-2008, 04:14 PM
I have no first hand experience on bunnies... but you could use a divider... so they are still together but canīt reach each other to bite....

is this a new thing?... since your bf? or since adding bunnies?.. or maybe the new treats she want all to herself?... she sounds like an alpha bunny

Desert Arabian
12-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Thought I'd update....

Peanut started acting aggressive when Nibbles came in to the picture- before then it was just her and Buster and she was completely fine. Ever since Nibbles came in to the home Peanut hasn't been very fond of her. I don't think Princess Fatty likes having competition with Buster!

SO, I finally separated Nibbles from them and placed her in her own cage. The problem with Peanut's nasty behavior is somewhat solved. Nibbles cage is directly next to Peanut & Buster's so she can see them, sniff noses, etc - just not provoke Peanut to go nuts. They all seem to be doing just fine and content. Every so often Peanut will chase Buster around in the cage and nip at him - but not as severe as in the past. Earlier today, I let all 3 out of their cages to run around and get some exercise. Everything went alright; Peanut chased Nibbles around with her ears flat back but did not bite. Of course I was quick to stop her and made sure all 3 could run around peacefully. I am surprised Nibbles still has fur on her chin considering she has to ferociously chin everything within her reach!!! I do not believe that Nibbles is unhappy with being separated. She seems to be her usual spunky self, no signs of separation anxiety. She tended to keep to herself when in the cage w/ Peanut and Buster, so I believe she is fine with being alone.

I think the problem is solved. I wish all 3 would just get along though- I hate having them separated, but I think it's best. :confused:

Karen
12-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Oh, thank you for the update. I am glad to hear the problem is somewhat solved. I know some people prefer being alone, I am sure the same is true for bunnies!