PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Disasters #III?

RICHARD
09-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Hey!

It's time to update our culinary skills by posting our 'almosts' in the kitchen!

I had a new one just this past week that was funny and could be written into a spy/thriller movie! You know, the movie where the hero gets trapped in the kitchen and he makes a bomb/weapon out of ordinary kitchen stuff?

Welcome to HOME MADE TEAR GAS!!!

This recipe (for disaster) calls for a hot skillet and infused oil!

I had always steered away from infused oil-You see the bottles in stores -they take olive oil and stuff some herbs into the bottle and age it. I like the decorative value of the containers but never really gave it a second thought as far as cooiking went.

I had a bottle of Red Pepper Oil-Ah, you didn't see this one comiing, neither did I-that I thought I'd break open and cook with. Hokay.....I put on the skillet to heat the oil, toss some in and walked out of the room for a second.

I walked back in to check the temp and HOLY JIMINY CHRISTMAS with some EYE SCORCHING, NASAL CLEARING, PAINT PEELING stupidity added for entertainment value.

I leaned toward the hot pan and took a whiff of the now warm skillet and capsicum fumes coming off of the stove.

I will never laugh at anyone who gets maced or pepper sprayed again.

(Well, maybe I will, God knows you have to be stupid to get zapped intentionally!)

Dang,
IT was pretty shocking and funny at the same time. I was tearing, laughing, choking and trying to get the flame turned down as I realized my stupidity and ignorance.

I managed to get things under control and enjoyed a dish cooked with that lovely infused oil, that in a pinch can be used for self defense, offense and a wonderful fried rice dish!

So, remember the basics of kitchen safety.

Never leave a pot on a flame unattended.
And don't be stupid, like me!

Bon Appetit!!!!!

Daisy and Delilah
09-29-2008, 10:11 AM
WOW!!! That must have been unforgettable.

Booby Flake poured some oil in a pan that was too hot on Iron Chef. The whole thing caught on fire:eek::eek::eek:
Sometimes I wonder if that guy is getting any rest. He seems out of it all the time.

sparks19
09-29-2008, 02:26 PM
This is why Brian does all the cooking in this house lol. He's much better at it than I am.

I remember one time while making microwave popcorn I almost burned the house down lol. I had to throw a smoldering bag of popcorn out into a snow bank and my dad had to buy a new microwave... hehe OOPS

Killearn Kitties
09-29-2008, 02:44 PM
You have confirmed my suspicions that those infused oils are simply for display. A real cook uses more natural ingredients. ;)

Like eggs

pomtzu
09-29-2008, 03:19 PM
I've got a bone-headed one for you that my son pulled on my electric stove a few years back.
He put a pot of water on to boil for spaghetti and turned the burner on high and left the kitchen. One problem -turned on the wrong burner and there was an empty pan sitting on it. Before too long - this miserable acrid smell was filling the house and the smoke alarms were blasting. :eek: I walked in to the kitchen to see this empty pot glowing red - as well as the drip pan under the burner. Grabbed both with tongs (the aluminum drip pan was melted out of shape) and tossed both out the back door and turned the hose on them. That was too close for comfort for me.

RICHARD
09-29-2008, 05:36 PM
You have confirmed my suspicions that those infused oils are simply for display. A real cook uses more natural ingredients. ;)

Like eggs

Ahem, What's more natural than Tear Gas?:rolleyes::eek: LOL, I have faked my way thru some meals.....I make drinks better anyway!:p

Let me send you some religious medals? O.k.?:D

Husky_mom
09-29-2008, 05:48 PM
our very own MacGiver chef !!!.... LOL...

you know.. a while ago I asked my son (5) what he wanted to be when he grows up...and he said... firefighter and chef..

now I see a use to that combo... LMAO !!!.. ;)

Killearn Kitties
09-30-2008, 05:51 AM
Let me send you some religious medals? O.k.?:D
Are you sure there is no law forbidding their export right now?

RICHARD
09-30-2008, 07:01 AM
Are you sure there is no law forbidding their export right now?

LOL, poor house rules!:eek::D

RICHARD
08-18-2009, 11:52 PM
I was in the mood for tater salad and decided to toss a batch together.

I boiled, peeled, chopped and then got to the mixing portion of the program!

The hardest part of the recipe is mixing it all together!

I grabbed my spoon and began to add mayo and mustard...

Boil, boil, toil and trouble.

The effing spoon breaks in half. It's a half rubber/half steel job- the spoon part is made of metal, the shaft is shoved into the handle part and secured with a hard plastic 'grommet'. I look at the handle in my hand and notice the hard plastic part had broken in half and I cannot find the rest of it.
:rolleyes::mad::(

I have a 5-6 lb pot of freshly made Tater Salad and can't find the rest of the piece of plastic belonging to the spoon.

I pick up the pot to toss it out...then decide to take my chances.

I just can't toss out a whole pot of newly made tater salad!

I was teetering on the edge of throwing it out and eating my way thru/around plastic shrapnel in the pot? I decide to test just what the salad tastes like when the spoon I am using -a new spoon, not the POS spoon-hits a plastic-y sounding chunk!

I pulled the scoopful out and found the missing plastic piece from the broken spoon....A little "post accident investigation" reveals that there are no more foreign objects inside the PS.

Dude, that was some good tater salad. I feel like a pig, but am glad I didn't throw out the whole danged thing!:D

karyn674
08-19-2009, 12:18 AM
I just love them, but I do my own!

It's not rocket science! You just briuse the garlic, lemongrass, chillies or whatever you're using and fill it up with olive oil or if you want an oil that takes more temperature use peanut and forget it for 15 day to infuse!

But when cooking, if you fry the onion and garlic in the chilli oil you don't need to add more chillies, plus you can use it as sinus clearing!!! LOL! Like you did!!

I also like it for lunch with bread. Crusty bread with a soft inside, sliced tomatoes, dash of salt and pepper, basil leaves and chilli oil!! Mmmmmm!

RICHARD
08-19-2009, 01:41 AM
I also like it for lunch with bread. Crusty bread with a soft inside, sliced tomatoes, dash of salt and pepper, basil leaves and chilli oil!! Mmmmmm!

You forgot Cheese!!!!!!;)

karyn674
08-19-2009, 05:34 AM
not keen on cheese, but yeah why not :D

happylabs
08-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Oh dear Richard...where is Ed during these experiments. He should be supervising you. :D

Cinder & Smoke
08-19-2009, 10:25 AM
The effing spoon breaks in half. :mad:

I have a 5-6 lb pot of freshly made Tater Salad and
can't find the rest of the piece of plastic belonging to the spoon.

I pick up the pot to toss it out...then decide to take my chances.

I just can't toss out a whole pot of newly made tater salad!

:eek:

I'da sifted the pot with a fine-toothed comb before tossing it!
You NEVER throw out 'Tater Salad!
:p

Lady's Human
08-19-2009, 03:04 PM
The Edster saw what Richard was doing and hauled butt out of the kitchen.:p

RICHARD
08-19-2009, 04:18 PM
The Edster saw what Richard was doing and hauled butt out of the kitchen.:p

He'll come back for "paper bag chikin', I know it!!!

:eek:

I'da sifted the pot with a fine-toothed comb before tossing it!
You NEVER throw out 'Tater Salad!
:p

No fricking way! I lucked out by finding it in that first spoonful.:D

Lady's Human
02-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Couldn't find the thread on hard boiled eggs, so this one will do.

Online recipe sites?

Great, I love being able to type in what I'm looking for and find something at least close to what I want to make.

Cooking while the recipe is up on the laptop.....

Laptops and stoves don't mix.

RICHARD
02-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Couldn't find the thread on hard boiled eggs, so this one will do.

Online recipe sites?

Great, I love being able to type in what I'm looking for and find something at least close to what I want to make.

Cooking while the recipe is up on the laptop.....

Laptops and stoves don't mix.

LOL, ask for a PDA for your birthday!

Boiled eggs?

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?97778-How-do-you-boil-eggs&highlight=boil+eggs