PDA

View Full Version : When cats get bored

Freedom
09-29-2008, 08:34 AM
We are having the kitchen remodeled. Had a temporary door put in on the hallway and the cats are all safe behind that. They have access to a small hallway, 3 bedrooms and a bathroom. Normally, they have access to 7 rooms, 2 bathrooms, plus the cellar, so this is a cut back. In general, they seem to be doing FINE!

However. They are BORED. They can't run and race and use up their energy, they can't knock off lamps, vases and picture frames. So they have developed new interests.

1. The toilet paper is constantly unrolled and left in a shredded heap in the one bathroom. I have NEVER had this issue in 14 years of owning cats. (I know many of you have had the pleasure! :D)

2. I know someone has diarrhea, just thought it was due to a bit of stress; until yesterday afternoon. I found an EMPTY bag of sugar free candy, and all the wrappings. Guess more than one kitty has diarrhea! For those unfamiliar, sugar free foods usually contain maltilol, a sugar alcohol. Which is sweet, and fine in limited amounts. Over eat, and it will give you: gas, cramps, and diarrhea. If 3 candies is the limit for humans (according to the package), and a human is at least 140 pounds (being gracious, here!), then how many is TOO many for a 10 pound cat? :rolleyes: I picked up the remains, and they should have their systems cleaned out and cleared up in a day or so.

Sorry, no photos. :D

wolf_Q
09-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Just in case you didn't know... http://www.holisticdog.org/xylitol.html
I'm not sure if that applies to cats too, but you may want to check and see if your sugar free candy had xylitol.

catmandu
09-29-2008, 08:51 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/8ab49f43.jpg
THE PARTY CATS:cool::cool: HAVE AGREED TO VISIT YOUR CATS TO LIVELY THINGS UP , AND THEY GUARANTEE THAT THIER WILL BE NO CANDY!!!:eek:

StarandBratsmom
09-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I understand cat boredom. Are there any places you can tie a string and cat toys?

Randi
09-29-2008, 10:25 AM
I've just layed a carpet in my office and lots of things had to be moved in to another room of course, but Fister thought it was quite exiting. ;)

I hope your kitties are fine in spite of the candy - they sure seem to know how to entertain themselves. :D

Gary, I don't know what you did to that picture LOL - but here's one a little bit sharper. ;)

jazzcat
09-29-2008, 10:53 AM
When we did some major home improvements a few years ago the cats got very bored being shut up. We are hoping to start our kitchen remodel. We've been putting it off a couple of years already but I dread all the work and inconvenience, especially for the cats.

I sure hope your guys don't suffer any more ill effects from the candy.

Freedom
09-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Oh Gary, the Party Cats are the LAST thing I need around here just now, he heee.

Thanks everyone. Yup, I do know about Xylitol, hadn't even given it a thought, thanks for the suggestion! Not in these candies, so they will be alright eventually.

Star and Brats Mom: I moved 2 climbing trees into the sewing room bedroom, an dI put out 4 new cat toys (with fresh catnip scent) last evening. WRONG time, they were so energetic I didn't get to sleep for an hour!

It will all work out. I wasn't complaining, just sharing the "joys of remodeling." :D

LionHart
09-29-2008, 03:10 PM
They can't run and race and use up their energy, they can't knock off lamps, vases and picture frames.

Guess you'll have to set some items up just for that purpose:D