PDA

View Full Version : Luna's blood test results: what do you think? (Another vet visit today!)

Kirsten
09-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Got a copy of Luna's latest blood test, which worries me a bit.

Iron: 16.8 µmol/l (normal: 19.7 - 30.4) -> slightly decreased
(she's getting iron shots from now on)

Cystatin C: 1.1 mg/l (normal: up to 1.0) -> increased
(this is a parameter for an early stage diagnosis of kidney failure; Luna is supposed to eat a protein reduced diet from now on)

The rest of the kidney and liver screening, like AP, GLDH, CK, Albumine, Potassium, Creatinine, Albumin, Sodium, Urea etc. was fine. And so was her T4 (thyroid gland)

Now her blood count, which is a bit weird:

Leukocytes: 3.9 G/l (normal: 6.0 - 11.0) -> decreased
Lymphocytes: 51 % (normal: 15 - 38) -> increased
Neutrophil Granulocytes: 46 % (normal: 60 - 78) -> slightly decreased
Thrombocytes: 154 G/l (normal: 180 - 550) -> slightly decreased

The rest (Erythrocytes, Hemoglobin, Monocytes, Eosinophil and Basophil Granulocytes) was okay.

Her blood count of 2006 and 2007 looked more or less the same; last year, the leukocytes and thrombocytes count was even lower, but her lymphos were not this high (only 45 last year). My vet thinks this is the result from her chronic bladder infection, which affects her immune system. She said if there was a cancer of the lymph nodes, or leukemia, other parameters of the blood count would be peculiar as well, and they aren't.

So what do you think? Do I have to worry about my beloved Luna? Or is this a condition I should have been prepared for, considering her chronic UTIs?

Kirsten

Kirsten
09-30-2008, 04:11 AM
Luna went back to the vet this morning, but not only for the iron shot she was scheduled for. Noticed this morning she has another UTI, as she went to her box every couple of minutes, and peed (only a little drop each time). So she got shots with an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory meds, and she'll be on Marbocyl for the next 7 days.

Hope she will feel better soon! Poor Luna! :love:

Kirsten

kb2yjx
09-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Kirsten, what was Luna's Hemoglobin, hematocrit, WBC, RBC??

Kirsten
09-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Hemoglobin: 136 g/l (normal: 90 - 150)
Hematocrit: 0.40 l/l (normal: 0.30 - 0.44)

Edit:

I think WBC is what we call leukocytes (the total of kinds of leukos):
Leukocytes (WBC): 3.9 G/l (normal: 6.0 - 11.0) -> decreased

This should be her RBC:
Erythrocytes: 9.15 T/l (normal: 5.0 - 10.0)

Kirsten

kb2yjx
09-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks Kirsten!! I forgot the other terms for red and white blood cells!!!

Kirsten
10-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Well, Luna had a tough night, she still went to her box all the time and even whined because she was in pain. So she went back to the vet again this morning for another shot. She seemed to do better after that one, because she hasn't peed ever since. When the vet checked her bladder, it was empty, so she's at least not blocked!

Kirsten

katslady
10-05-2008, 07:58 PM
When Luna is checked for her Uti,s do they culture her urine?If so what is the bacteria? If there is not any bacteria it could be Idiopathic Cystitis. I have a 13 year old female who has had it for 7 years. I treat her with glucosamine and a completly wet food diet with added water to the food.I hope it is not Idiopathic because having A cause is better than never knowing why.Best wishes for Luna I hope the bloodwork is just normal for her.katslady

kittykatharine
10-05-2008, 10:52 PM
I hope sweet Luna is feeling better really soon. UTI's are never fun, and it makes our little ones not feel so great. Hopefully, everything will work out ok, and Luna can go back to being carefree and happy. :love::love::love: