PDA

View Full Version : Anika's Last Update, Anika will be PTS Today. #114 Posted on Cat Memorial Section

Anikaca77
09-29-2008, 06:19 AM
I've decided to start a new thread about Anika because the other one was more related to her possibly peeing on the floor but now that's not the issue or my main concern.

Here is the previous thread:

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=146482

My husband got home last night from work about 1:30 a.m. and she didn't want to eat and so he tried again around 4:30 and nothing.

So I got up hoping I could try to get her to eat and nothing. :( I'm so worried about her right now. I had to go to work or otherwise I would of stayed home and tried to give her food every 2 hours. My husband is home with her at least. I'm going to be calling the vets as soon as they open to see if I should bring her in sooner.

Over the past 2 days the tuna has been going ok but this morning she didn’t want to touch it or even the milk I offered her.

I know you all probably think why didn't I notice this before but with 8 cats in your house and the bowls are still getting empty, plus she was always sitting out by the water dish so I just assumed that she was eating her hard food but she won't.

I feel like such a failure as a mom and my husband and I are no where near ready for more vets bills but what has to be done will be done.

I just hope they are understandable about it.

Please pray for her today, I will post if I can get her in sooner today.

Thanks for your prays,
Melissa

kb2yjx
09-29-2008, 07:09 AM
Will send prayers and healing thoughts to Anika and for you, too!

Medusa
09-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Begging unnecessary; we pray w/out ceasing here. Keep the faythe.

ChrisH
09-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Prayers on the way.

Anikaca77
09-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Begging is all I can do I think right now because I feel so bad that I didn't catch this sooner.

I called the vets and they said they are completely booked right now. They said I could drop her off but I just don't want to stress her out by leaving her there unless I have to, plus I'd like to know what tests might have to be ran and what not.

Thanks for the prays,
Melissa

Freedom
09-29-2008, 08:26 AM
plus I'd like to know what tests might have to be ran and what not.

Melissa, living with 11 cats and 15 pets, I can understand a bit how you feel. Believe me, we ARE in tune to our pets, we DO notice, we DO catch things. You did fine thus far, so please try to stop beating yourself up!

Most likely they will do a complete blood work up, and a urinalysis. That along with the physical will start to narrow down the possibilities. Hang in there, and keep us posted!

kb2yjx
09-29-2008, 01:00 PM
I agree with Freedom!!! do not beat up on yourself. I sent you a pm. and continued prayers heading out to Anika...

Anikaca77
09-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Well as of right now Anika has only had 3-4 licks of tuna juice, 1 pounce treat.

:(

I'm so worried I won't be able to bring her home with me.

God please don't take my baby away from me.

Melissa

LionHart
09-29-2008, 02:38 PM
I agree w/Freedom as well. You can't beat yourself up, you need to hang in there for your other furbabies.

Anikaca77
09-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Well my husband put her in the cat carrier, my mom is going to be keeping her at her house until I come get her and go with my mom to her vet appointment.

:( Man I wish I could leave work right now.

GILL
09-29-2008, 03:09 PM
I know how you feel as we just lost ET. BUT please DO NOT beat your self as we all know that you you have done every thing possible. We ae wishing you all our prayers.

Anikaca77
09-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Thank you all for the continued prays.

I just hope they are able to figure out what's wrong with her and that what ever she has is curable.

I love my dear sweet Anika so much and she was my first baby after my other girl RC passed away back in Dec. 2001. I got Anika from the SPCA right before Valentines Day in 2002 and she was 2 years old then and now she's only 8 years old.

She loves to give head rubs and I love her so much. My husband and I are worried so much about her but then we are worried about money as well.

Well I'll let everyone know once I get back from the vets.

Melissa

phesina
09-29-2008, 05:01 PM
More prayers for Anika that the vet visit is going well.

Sevaede
09-29-2008, 05:53 PM
**HUG** and Good thoughts that things start to go better for Anika. :(

Anikaca77
09-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Anika and I are back home, awaiting for the vets phone call.

She ran a general health/CBC/Electrolytes test which was $99.25, plus she gave her some fluids and that was $11.00 plus the visit $25, and some medical waste thing $2.00

So they wanted me to pay $50 of the $173.02 so with some donations I was left to pay about $35 but I already had a check clearing of $33 tomorrow plus a check already cleared there earlier this month for $44.53.

I'm not sure if she needs meds how I'm going to be able to afford to pay for them because I'm pretty much left with $45 for the next 2 weeks.

I'm so worried about her. The vet did say she had bad breath and she said with bad breath, and losing weight and not eating it could be kidney failure.

Then what.

I'll let you guys know if I hear something sooner.

Melissa

Freedom
09-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Hang in there, just need to get the results before you start imagining the worst. Fingers (and paws) crossed here.

Anikaca77
09-29-2008, 08:20 PM
I finally just got a call from the vets and she said that Anika has 2 elevated liver enzymes. She said something is irritating her liver but she doesn't know what until she runs this other test in the morning and then she'll call me back with a plan.

I'm so worried now about money and how I'm going to be able to afford this.

I'll do what I have to for my Anika, luckily I was able to get her to eat some can food tonight after I warmed it up in the microwave.

Well that's it for now until I hear more tomorrow :(

Melissa

Taz_Zoee
09-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Melissa,
I can totally sympathize with what you are going through. Not only worrying about our babies, but worrying about how to pay for them to get better. The timing was just not good for me. ALSO not knowing exactly what is even wrong with them. I am going through this with my Taz right now too. Missed work today to take him to the vet, couldn't pay for it (at the time, they require payment immediately), but worked a small deal. I've been crying all day, my head feels like a balloon.
We can do this. We have to do this for our babies. They rely on us and we WILL pull through for them to the best of our ability.
The waiting and not knowing is the worst part. We can do it together. Hang in there.

Cindy

Anikaca77
09-30-2008, 11:42 AM
I just got a call back from the vets.

She said the test she ran this morning looked good. So she is going to send Anika's blood away for a thyroid test just to make sure it's not hyperthyroidism.

She said we can't rule out cancer yet but the next steps right now are getting her on a 10-day antibiotic and giving her baby food or can food to make sure she eats.

Then she will check her again in 2 weeks and if the antibiotics do not improve her then she will have to have an ultrasound done to rule out any tumors and to see what she might have.

The price of that will be about $150-$200 but she doesn't do it so I'd have to go to this other vet they recommend and I would have to pay upfront there.

I should know the results of her thyroid test either tomorrow or on Thursday.

I hope these pills or liquid will help her. I'm going there tonight to pick up her meds.

Thanks for the continued prays,
Melissa

Medusa
09-30-2008, 03:59 PM
We'll keep the prayers going for Anika. Hold a good thought that all will be well. PT prayers work miracles, as you know. Keep the faythe.

kb2yjx
09-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Anika, be a good girl and take you meds!! We are all praying for you!!

The Clan: Norton, Tina Peepers, Riley, Hayley, Hope Simone, Nimet, and Bianca Rose

Anikaca77
09-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Tonight I got home about 6 pm after going to 2 different vets, 1 to pick up Osiris (he got fixed today) and 2 to pick up Anika's meds.

When I got home I tried to give Anika some of this A/D food and she didn't want it.

So I figured I better give her this pill and give her, her liquid meds. She hates me right about now. I gave her a little water by a syringe tonight and she didn't like that either and I got pretty much covered in the liquid meds.

I've tried several times now to get her to eat and I even picked up some baby food, I think it's called chicken broth and she turned her nose up to it which I don't blame her for that at all. I think it smelled horrible.

Well if any of you have any suggestions on what more I can try to get her to eat I'd appreciate it, tuna isn't working either right now.

I'm hoping it's only because I gave her the meds and hopefully maybe after a few more doses she will be wanting to eat more.

Thanks for the prays,
Melissa

Anikaca77
10-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Well my husband and I last night had to force feed Anika.

It went ok. I felt so bad but as far as we know she wasn't eating any can food or eating any dry food so we felt we had no other choice.

After we forced her to eat some, I noticed she still didn't come out of the kitchen so I went ahead and sneaked up to the kitchen and she was having a few pieces of dry food!!

I was so happy. I couldn't believe it! When I watched her she only had a few bites.

This morning however she didn't want any can food or anything but my husband will try later this afternoon.

I gave her, her meds this morning and I did it slow enough or so I'm thinking I did and she through it right back up so sadly she didn't get any meds in her this morning at all only last night.

So I have to call the vets again to see what I should do now.

Thank you all so much for the continued prays & donations.

Anika and I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Melissa

Anikaca77
10-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Well I just got a call back from the vets and well her thyroid test came back negative.

So that means either 1 it's a bacteria infection and will be fixed with Amoxicillin or 2 it's cancer or 3 a tumor or 4 something that we won't know till we do an ultrasound.

Please say a pray for my baby.

Melissa

Kirsten
10-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Melissa, I just read your entire thread on poor Anika. I really hope that whatever she has is something treatable!

Sitting here waiting for the result of Luna's FeLV-test, I know what it means to fear for the life of a beloved furry friend, and the vet bills don't make it easier...

Keeping you and your sweet Anika in my thoughts...

Kirsten

momtomany
10-01-2008, 01:56 PM
We will keep praying for your baby and hope that it is an infection. I don't know if you were using Gerber baby food, stage 2 as it is the better one, but you can consider mixing it with KMR or Whiskas' cat milk (it must less expensive) and she may go for that.

Anikaca77
10-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Well the vet asked me to try to give her food before giving her meds and I'm sad to say it didn't work.

I forced some a/d can food on her and she did really really well and I waited about 20 mins and gave her meds and she threw up all of her meds and her can food.

I'm afraid the next step will be the ultra sound.

Which will cost $150-$200.

Please pray for her.

Thanks,
Melissa

Medusa
10-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Does the med come in liquid form? Sometimes it's easier to just squirt it in and some cats have a bad gag reflex on pills, especially if the pill is bitter.

Anikaca77
10-01-2008, 07:32 PM
She is actually on the liquid form right now and I think that's what's making her gag more maybe.

I tried just giving her some cat milk and nothing. I feel like I'm losing my baby.

:( I just want to cry so bad right now.

Does the med come in liquid form? Sometimes it's easier to just squirt it in and some cats have a bad gag reflex on pills, especially if the pill is bitter.

phesina
10-01-2008, 08:24 PM
We keep a lot of the Gerber's Stage 2 Chicken and Chicken Gravy baby food on hand for kitties who don't want to eat much of anything. That winds up being a nice tasty treat for many of them. You might want to see if Anika would like that.

Prayers and love and healing, strengthening energies are still coming from all of us.

Pat and cats

Medusa
10-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Yes, maybe give the baby food a try. It's so gentle on the tummy. We'll keep the prayers going. Don't lose hope, sweetie.

Anikaca77
10-02-2008, 06:23 AM
I don't know if it's the Stage 2 but I think I tried the Beech something Chicken Gravy with her and she wouldn't touch that either :(

We keep a lot of the Gerber's Stage 2 Chicken and Chicken Gravy baby food on hand for kitties who don't want to eat much of anything. That winds up being a nice tasty treat for many of them. You might want to see if Anika would like that.

Prayers and love and healing, strengthening energies are still coming from all of us.

Pat and cats

GILL
10-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Our prayers are still with you. The CREW is pulling hard.

Anikaca77
10-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Ok, the vets just called me and we are now going to start on Injection shots of antibiotics.

I will be leaving work at 10:45 a.m. to make it at the vets at 11:30 a.m.

Then I will be shown how to give her the injections and I'll re-check in with the vets on Monday (she is leaving town for a vets conference at noon today and won't be back till Sunday late) and see how she's doing and then it's the ultrasound most likely.

Poor girl but the vet said that since she would eat a few bites of her dry cat food last night that's at least encouraging.

I'm praying so hard she doesn't have cancer.

Melissa

kb2yjx
10-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Melissa, we are all out here pulling for Anika and you!!!

LionHart
10-02-2008, 04:21 PM
since she would eat a few bites of her dry cat food last night that's at least encouraging. True.

I'm praying so hard she doesn't have cancer. Praying for YOU as well.

kb2yjx
10-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Have you tried offering chicken baby food to Anika?? I use Beechnut and that seems to work when I have a non eater.....Prayers that she will eat soon....

Catty1
10-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Posted by Anikaca:
I tried the Beech something Chicken Gravy with her and she wouldn't touch that either

Anikaca77
10-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Well I gave Anika her anitbotic tonight and it went ok, the first time I stuck her she cried, so I took it out and restarted and that worked better. Right now she's just lying the bedroom but she was out more this evening I think.

I just hope she does improve.

Thank you all again so much for your hard prays and thoughts,
Melissa

pomtzu
10-03-2008, 09:28 AM
I know you said you tried tuna before, but how about what I call "Tuna Soup"? It used to work when I had kitties that wouldn't eat. Take some chunk light tuna packed in water and mash it up real good (don't leave any chunks) and add enough warm water to make it the consistance of gravy - not too thick yet not too thin. :p It might be worth a try since she doesn't seem to want anything else. Good luck!
Come on Anika - please eat for your Mom!

Anikaca77
10-03-2008, 09:38 AM
This morning I gave Anika her other shot, this time it went better but I'm still so nervous doing it.

It seemed a lot easier at the vets.

I had to force feed her some more A/D food and she will keep that down at least.

But the weird thing is last night I tried to give her some milk by a syringe and she started to foam it back up again, almost like she didn't want to swallow it and just wanted to spit it up so I tried some water and the same thing happened.

I'm not sure how I'm going to get fluids in her but I'm leaving work early today so I'll be better to monitor her drinking today and the rest of this weekend and see if she picks up eatting, if she doesn't an ultrasound will be scheduled. :(

My poor girl. I just hope these meds help her since we are now able to get them in her.

Medusa
10-03-2008, 05:28 PM
We're going to think positive and pray easy that the meds will work for Anika and that she'll be back to normal in no time. Extra prayers being sent for you, Melissa.

jennielynn1970
10-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Goodness dear Anika! You really need to eat and drink and get better! This has been going on way too long, and you are worrying your meowmy sick!

Please eat something, drink something, and keep on doing it and get much better!

Catty1
10-03-2008, 06:07 PM
She IS keeping her food down...in a PM to me, you said you did see her drinking on her own after the syringe incident.

If this is going to help, it should really be showing by tomorrow, I would think.

PT Prayers for Anika kitty.

Sweet faced baby. :)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/ANIKA/DSC00186.jpg

All curled up
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/ANIKA/PICT00028-3-072.jpg

Snuggly Girl
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Candace_1956/ANIKA/anika.jpg

Anikaca77
10-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Ok this is the latest update for now. :(

Anika is not eatting on her own, I haven't seen her drinking since the last time at the water bowl and that was a few days ago.

Since then she was at the vets had the fluids and now just comes out occasionally comes into the living room and goes back on the bed and lays down.

Tonight we forced fed her and she threw up once, we waited a while and gave her some more food and she kept it down.

I went to give her, her shots (1 amoxicilin and 1 baytril) and she started drooling right after the last shot.

I'm so worried now. I went ahead and scheduled an ultrasound since she's not improving with 3 does, tonight was her 4th dose and it's scheduled for Wed. at 11:30 a.m. unless I can get my vets to call them on Monday and get her in sooner.

I'm afraid I'm not sure how much longer she is going to last if she doesn't eat.

My poor girl, it's already been 1 week since we noticed she wasn't eating. How often should a grown cat get feed every 2 to 4 hours?

The vet said just to give her a tablespoon or what would fit on my thumb at the time but I've been just doing the syringe.

I'm so afraid what I'm doing is not working for her but I hope I can continue to do what I'm doing until my regular vet gets back on Monday and then call her.

I can't afford to go see an on call doctor but if I have to I will for my baby.

Please pray.

I'm so worried about my baby.

Thank you everyone who has donated money. I really appreciate it and can't thank you enough during this hard time right now.

Melissa

Medusa
10-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Oh how worrisome. I'm so sorry, Melissa. I know how difficult it is for you to see this and feel so helpless. I wish I had an answer for you. Puddy even tried to eat right up until the end so I've not had to deal w/the not eating issue. Sweet little Anika, we're praying for you.

Anikaca77
10-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Thank you so much.

Oh how worrisome. I'm so sorry, Melissa. I know how difficult it is for you to see this and feel so helpless. I wish I had an answer for you. Puddy even tried to eat right up until the end so I've not had to deal w/the not eating issue. Sweet little Anika, we're praying for you.

Catty1
10-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Melissa, when my mom was force-feeding her sick kitty, she did mix the A/D with warm water and make a goop out of it...she also gave it a bit at a time.

I am sure you are doing that, but wanted to make sure Anika is getting enough time between "doses" to swallow completely. If too much hits her tummy too fast, up it comes! And with the water in there, less concern about her drinking.

Also, A/D is a surgical recovery food - it is WAY too rich for regular healthy cats to have. So anything she DOES keep down is packed with nutrition a few times over.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Catlady711
10-03-2008, 09:57 PM
So sorry to here she's not doing well.

I can't guarantee anything for another cat, but my own Dusty went for 2 weeks 2 days in 1997 without eating. She had aspiration pnemonia from vomiting and apparently blamed the food for it. Even when they got her better from everything she didn't eat until 1 hour before the appt to have her PTS which we GLADLY cancelled as soon as she started eating on her own. She was with us an additional 10 years after that. I do realize she was an extreme case and was fortunate to have been overweight when the whole thing started or she probably wouldn't have survived.

As for the drooling from the injections. That could very likely be stress. When cats get stressed out big time they tend to drool like crazy. It should subside when they calm back down again.

I hope your vet can see her soon and get her feeling better. Give her a head rubbing for me.

Emeraldgreen
10-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Poor Anika! :( Candace's idea of A/D is good. There is another brand of the same idea that has come out called 'Recovery' and you can get that at the vet clinic too. I picked up a few cans of both A/D and Recovery to keep my cat interested when I was trying to get him to eat.

I wonder if she would be interested in just the gravy of some wet food. There are some Fancy Feast cans that have gravy mixed in like the Grilled flavours. And Friskies shredded turkey and cheese has quite a bit of gravy and is well liked by my crew. I know it's like Twinkies for cats but at this point, getting something in her is key.

The foaming at the mouth after syringing milk and water might indicate that it's going down to fast. My vet suggested to me that it is safest to slowly squirt some water into the pouch of the cheek and then they can swallow it. She said that if you syringe it straight in too quickly, it can cause a cat to aspirate and that could cause alot of problems. You may already be doing the cheek thing but I thought I'd pass it along just in case. :)

This may have already been mentioned in this thread but smearing some wet food (a thin layer) on her paw will probably get her to clean it off. Hopefully a few times throughout the day will help her get some nutrients in her.
Prayers going out for Anika that she will soon find her appetite.

Catty1
10-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Lara - Anika is getting A/D. I know Melissa and her husband are anxious to get Anika to eat, so MAYBE Anika is being syringed too much to fast.
MAYBE, I said. ;)

PT Prayers for Anika.:love:

I found some really cute pics of her and posted them a few posts back!:)

Emeraldgreen
10-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Lara - Anika is getting A/D. I know Melissa and her husband are anxious to get Anika to eat, so MAYBE Anika is being syringed too much to fast.
MAYBE, I said. ;)

PT Prayers for Anika.:love:

I found some really cute pics of her and posted them a few posts back!:)

That's great that she has some A/D on hand. The Recovery might offer a new flavour if she tires of the A/D. :)

I was thinking more of the milk and water with regard to aspiration and the syringing too fast.

Saw the pics, she is such a cutie!

Anikaca77
10-03-2008, 11:16 PM
As for the drooling from the injections. That could very likely be stress. When cats get stressed out big time they tend to drool like crazy. It should subside when they calm back down again.

Just now I got up and tried to mix some A/D formula with warm water and give it to her with using a syringe only because I wanted to see if she would be willing to eat on her own or at least drink and she started to foam and got so worked up that she tried to throw up twice.

Right now she is next to me resting so I won't think I will be attempting to feed her for a few more hours. I feel so bad that I'm stressing her out with this food thing but I want her to eat so then she will stay with us and I know that is selfish but I love her so much and I'm so afraid they are going to find throat cancer or cancer of the liver and then we have to make some decisions. Thank you everyone who has given us their thoughts, prayers, and suggestions throughout this whole thing.

We have been trying to give her the food slowly and wait in between but we will pay special attention to make sure we are going to be doing that for sure now to avoid anything. I wish my vet was in town this weekend because I'd be calling her now about this whole thing and her being stressed now about us trying to feed her.

Anika and all of us here thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Thanks,
Melissa

Catty1
10-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Again...the A/D is good food, a little goes a long way.

Maybe the other vet has a can of Recovery that Lara mentioned. You can try that while waiting for your regular vet to come back.

Who knows - maybe it's the flavour! Just because Anika is sick doesn't mean she can't be picky...she's a CAT! :D

orangemm
10-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Praying hard for sweet Anika and you....this is a terribly stressful time for all of you. If there is anything else we can do, please let us know.

Come on Anika...eat a little for your meowmie!

Medusa
10-04-2008, 07:46 AM
When I'm feeling sick, even if I'm hungry, I don't want to eat. So perhaps it's the same way w/cats, Anika in particular. I'd let the force feeding go for a while, give her some time to calm down and get a little hungry because, as Candace said, a little of the A/D goes a long way. Also, my vet told me that even if food is vomited, that still means that some of it got into the stomach. If she had constant diarrhea, that would be a different story. So maybe just let things calm down a little and see if she'll come around after a good wait. We're keeping the prayers going, too, so be comforted in knowing how powerful PT prayers are, Melissa. Anika and you have a huge army pulling for you. :)

Anikaca77
10-04-2008, 11:30 AM
The only thing I thing I think I forgot to mention on her is the fact that she's been just siting there not licking herself or anything and she's doing these hard swallows it seems.

So I'm just wondering if she had throat cancer that spread or something.

I am going to call the vets first thing Monday morning to see if we can get her in for an ultrasound a lot sooner than Wednesday.

I love Anika so much and I will just try to offer the food today try not to force feed and we are now mixing her A/D with some water because as far as I know she is now not drinking water, last night she went over to her dish and just sat there but didn't drink.

I'm still having faith that she will turn around until I know what the ultrasound results are. I've attached picture of my Annie (we call her that sometimes instead of Anika from 2007).

Thank you all again for your prays and continued support throughout this hard time.

Melissa

When I'm feeling sick, even if I'm hungry, I don't want to eat. So perhaps it's the same way w/cats, Anika in particular. I'd let the force feeding go for a while, give her some time to calm down and get a little hungry because, as Candace said, a little of the A/D goes a long way. Also, my vet told me that even if food is vomited, that still means that some of it got into the stomach. If she had constant diarrhea, that would be a different story. So maybe just let things calm down a little and see if she'll come around after a good wait. We're keeping the prayers going, too, so be comforted in knowing how powerful PT prayers are, Melissa. Anika and you have a huge army pulling for you. :)

Medusa
10-04-2008, 11:56 AM
The only thing I thing I think I forgot to mention on her is the fact that she's been just siting there not licking herself or anything and she's doing these hard swallows it seems.

So I'm just wondering if she had throat cancer that spread or something.

I am going to call the vets first thing Monday morning to see if we can get her in for an ultrasound a lot sooner than Wednesday.

I love Anika so much and I will just try to offer the food today try not to force feed and we are now mixing her A/D with some water because as far as I know she is now not drinking water, last night she went over to her dish and just sat there but didn't drink.

I'm still having faith that she will turn around until I know what the ultrasound results are. I've attached picture of my Annie (we call her that sometimes instead of Anika from 2007).

Thank you all again for your prays and continued support throughout this hard time.

Melissa

Puddy did the hard swallowing for a couple of years. Dr. Lee carefully examined her tongue, the inside of her mouth and her throat when she was under anesthesia and he could find no reason for it. She didn't appear to be in pain and it didn't choke her while she ate, so he said to just watch and see if any other symptoms manifest in that regard but none ever did. We never did figure out the reason for it.

Catty1
10-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Burning Mouth Syndrome??? Lara found the B vitamins helped that. I wonder...

Medusa
10-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Burning Mouth Syndrome??? Lara found the B vitamins helped that. I wonder...

W/out scanning back in this thread, I think B vitamins may have been mentioned. If not, it sure couldn't hurt and it isn't expensive at all.

momtomany
10-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Maybe she is nauseated. I know I swallow hard when I am trying not to throw up, so could that be a thought.

Catlady711
10-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Maybe she is nauseated. I know I swallow hard when I am trying not to throw up, so could that be a thought.

I was thinking that myself.

Just now I got up and tried to mix some A/D formula with warm water and give it to her with using a syringe only because I wanted to see if she would be willing to eat on her own or at least drink and she started to foam and got so worked up that she tried to throw up twice.

Dusty used to do the exact same thing. She'd get so wound up that she'd force herself to vomit, either before or after ANY type of oral meds even mixed in her food. The only exception was glucosamine, for some reason she liked that in her food, go figure.

I hope you can get into the vet sooner. It's always nerve wracking waiting until the vet opens, or till you can get in.

I'm kinda worried myself as Sabrina has been vomiting the last two days and today is the first day she's not wanted to eat, and of course it's later on a Saturday. *sigh*

Anikaca77
10-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Well today my husband and I had to call my vet on her cell. She is out of town at a vet conference so she gave us her cell for what ever we might need and today I showed Anika her food and she started foaming at the mouth and drooling.

I felt horrible. I just wanted to offer it and not force it and I didn't force it.

So I called the vets and I told her she is no longer drinking and no longer wanting to take food without foaming and drooling really bad.

She said that's not a good sign well yeah I know and she also told me that if we don't get liquids in her that we will have to take her to her one call vet and just walking in the door this weekend will cost us $100.

She said if we can get fluids in her until Monday then we can avoid that..but then what?? put her down? The vet said she had a seminar all day on Friday about gastrointestinal problems and she said she has a few things she'd like to try but my husband I agree if it's cancer we just want her to live out the time she has left here with us as long as she's not in any pain.

What I'm really hoping for on Monday is to get her into our vets or get her into the vets that has the ultrasound machine to find out what she really has going on so then we can go from there.

I've cried so much today, every time I leave the house I just wonder if I'm going to come back and she's no longer going to be alive when I come home. Today I left for about 2 hours and I just felt horrible being gone from her and not being here for her.

I love Anika so much. I just feel like I'm losing her. Thank you all again so much for your prays.

Melissa

Medusa
10-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Somehow this has just got to turn around. This sweet faced little girl just doesn't want to eat and, obviously, force feeding her or even showing her the food isn't working. She may have to go in hospital and be fed by IV. We're w/you in this, Melissa, so don't feel as though you're alone. We're praying for Anika and you. Please be a brave girl, Anika, and get some liquid into your sweet self, girlie.

cristy
10-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Oh Melissa, I feel so bad for you and Anika. We will say prayers tonight that she begins feeling better soon...or at least that you are able to find out what is wrong, economically and quickly. When we had Little Bear, before she went to Gill's, she was doing the hard swallow thing. I believe in the end that it was just dehydration and once Gill took her to the vet and got her rehydrated it went away. Love and healing thoughts to all of you!

Anikaca77
10-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Somehow this has just got to turn around. This sweet faced little girl just doesn't want to eat and, obviously, force feeding her or even showing her the food isn't working. She may have to go in hospital and be fed by IV. We're w/you in this, Melissa, so don't feel as though you're alone. We're praying for Anika and you. Please be a brave girl, Anika, and get some liquid into your sweet self, girlie.

Your post brought so many tears to my eyes, thank you, all I can think about is trying not to cry.

Thank you,
Melissa

Taz_Zoee
10-04-2008, 10:55 PM
I am so sorry Anika is not getting better. I know how stressful this is for you. But know you are not alone, your PT family is here. Unfortunately, most of us have been there and know exactly what you are going through. It helps to have people behind you that can relate.
I will be thinking of you and Anika and hoping she will at least get fluids in her until you can get the ultrasound and find out what's going on.

Hugs to you and gentle hugs to Anika.

Emeraldgreen
10-04-2008, 11:27 PM
I went through your thread again and saw that early on you mentioned that the vet said Anika had bad breath. I think that you've mentioned a few times that her teeth are fine but I wonder if she might have an oral ulcer? If it was located under the tongue or at the back of the throat it might have been missed by the vet. That could account for the difficulty in swallowing and drooling and oral ulcers can cause bad breath. And could make it too painful to eat food.

Mouth ulcers can be from lots of different things including kidney problems. But I didn't read anything about the blood work showing anything regarding kidneys. I did find some stuff on the internet about liver disease and drooling.

And as a few other pt'rs mentioned, it could be nausea. Drooling can be caused by nausea. I don't think ulcers would cause vomiting but nausea sure might.

If your vet doesn't find any ulcers in Anika's mouth and if the ultrasound doesn't show anything new, maybe you could try an anti-nausea medicine and it might help her to be able to eat.

If the injections are stressful, maybe you could ask your vet about a single injection that last for two weeks called Convenia. It is in the amoxicillan family so it might be able to replace the daily amoxi shots you are giving. I don't know about the Baytril though.

I hope you will be able to get some fluids into her. Prayers going out for you and Anika. :love:

Catty1
10-05-2008, 12:07 AM
{{{{{hugs}}}}} Melissa, I wish there was something I could do. :(

I know you and hubby aren't vets...but maybe have a look in her mouth and see if there is anything obvious, like an ulcer?

If you have an eyedropper, drop water into the side of her mouth through the back teeth. Maybe have it lukewarm so the cold doesn't startle her.

PT PRAYERS FOR ANIKA! :love:

Anikaca77
10-05-2008, 11:39 AM
I have looked in her mouth, I think from the start when I found out she wasn't eating I checked her teeth because she had the 2 pulled earlier this year and I thought maybe she had an infection or something but everything looked normal to me.

Yes I noticed the bad breath on Anika as well, I'm not sure if she still has it or not because it's a fight now just to try to get her to take some liquids which we have to do.

She's managed to keep the liquids down for the most part and I'm only giving her a small quantity of water and sometimes chicken broth. The only thing that was really weird was last night when I was sleeping Anika woke me up by throwing up. I got up with her and she threw up this foam stuff and that was odd because I wasn't even trying to feed her or anything I was just sleeping.

Luckily she hasn't done it since 1 a.m. and since then she's had water and kept it down.

Yeah the vet even said that she probably has some nausea but I'm just hoping to continue the liquid every couple of hours and just keep it going till I call the vets first thing Monday morning.

Thank you all again,
Melissa

Medusa
10-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Your post brought so many tears to my eyes, thank you, all I can think about is trying not to cry.

Thank you,
Melissa

Crying is ok, Melissa. Let it out. You're being strong and doing what you have to do for Anika; there's no shame in crying. You'll feel better tomorrow, I'm sure, when your regular vet is back in town and you can get to the bottom of all this. How I wish our furkids could talk at times like this!

jazzcat
10-05-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm glad to hear she's keeping some liquids down.

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

Kirsten
10-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Melissa, I'm so sorry that Anika is still having all these problems. I know how hard it is to see your beloved kitty so ill... at least she kept the liquids down.

Keeping Anika and you in my thoughts,
Kirsten

Catty1
10-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Melissa - has Anika been using the box?

If you look in Cat Health, Sabrina was puking foam...in her case, she was constipated.

Not saying it is the same with Anika, but if she hasn't been drinking enough - even though you are giving her liquids - maybe she is 'bound up' a bit?

Call your vet before you try any Lactulose or anything though. (Even a sprinkle of human Metamucil works).

kb2yjx
10-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Melissa! I am just so sorry to read about Anika. Dealing with sick kitties is not easy. Maybe the vet might suggest a quarter tab of Pepcid 10mg to help with the nausea(the generic pill is a bit cheaper). Continued prayers for your girl....and hugs for you...

Catlady711
10-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Melissa - has Anika been using the box?

If you look in Cat Health, Sabrina was puking foam...in her case, she was constipated.

Not saying it is the same with Anika, but if she hasn't been drinking enough - even though you are giving her liquids - maybe she is 'bound up' a bit?

Call your vet before you try any Lactulose or anything though. (Even a sprinkle of human Metamucil works).

Thank you Catty1, I was about to mention that when I saw her post but you got it for me.

kb2yjx
10-06-2008, 11:12 AM
How is Anika today???? Prayers continue....

lvpets2002
10-06-2008, 11:18 AM
:love: I as well am wondering how is Anika today?? Still sending Lots of Prayers & Positive Vibes..

GILL
10-06-2008, 11:20 AM
The CREW is still praying and pulling for Anika

Kirsten
10-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Wanted to you let you know that you and sweet Anika are still in my thoughts.

Any news from her today?

Kirsten

Anikaca77
10-06-2008, 12:04 PM
This morning I called the vets and the vet wasn't in yet so I had to leave a message and they called me back about 9:30 and wanted her to spend the day there so Ellen (my vet) could observe her and she was or possibly might try something new but I haven't heard anything yet from them, I figured I'd give her another hour before calling but I'm due back to pick her up after work and the ultrasound is still scheduled for Wed. at 11:30 a.m.

So we'll see. My poor girl was crying all the way to the vets and hopefully I'll hear something soon.

Melissa

Catlady711
10-06-2008, 12:21 PM
You can rest assured that they will take good care of her while she's with them. Most vet staff cuddle, talk to and pet the animals staying there on a frequent basis (one of the job perks actually lol).

I hope they find out what's going on with her and can give her some meds or something to make her feel better very soon. I know what it's like to be a worried pet mommy. My thoughts are with you both.

Anikaca77
10-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Anika is going to be put down at 3 pm today.

There is no hope. She is jondus now and the vet said that most chances are she has cancer or chronic paracteristis and then it will be a long term.

I can't think right now. I'm just so upset.

If anyone would like their donations back since I didn't go through the ultrasound please let me know. I'd be happy to send it back.

Melissa

Taz_Zoee
10-06-2008, 01:22 PM
OMG! LES here. I am soo soo very sorry about this. I don't even know what to say. :( :(

Catty1
10-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Melissa...{{{{hugs}}}}

Will you be able to go say goodbye to her?

I didn't donate much - but I say keep what I sent, as I know you have heavy vet back bills, and you and hubby are doing your best to make a go of it.

I am so, so sorry....

You and your hubby have done everything you could, never feel guilty for a moment...if only total love was enough, and sadly, it sometimes isn't.:love:

Kirsten
10-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Melissa, my heart breaks for you! :(

It may sound trivial, but I know what you are going through, what it means to have to say good bye to a beloved furry friend, a feline soul mate. Been there before.

Please know that I'm with you in my thoughts. Your love for Anika will give you the strength to go through this. May she have a peaceful passing. :love:

(((HUGS)))
Kirsten

Medusa
10-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Melissa, I wish I could take this all away from Anika and you. You've been through so much together. Words are inadequate at a time such as this but please know that if I can be of some comfort to you, I'll be there either through PM or a phone call in a hearbeat. My heartfelt prayers are going up for you and your husband and our girl Anika. :love: My Puddy will be on the watch for her and will be a fierce protectress.

rg_girlca
10-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I read most of this thread and I am so, so sorry to read this terrible news.
Know in your heart that you did everything possible that anyone could have to help your precious Anika. My heart goes out to you.

We will all be there with you and Anika during this painful time.

Go peacefully dear Anika and let your meowmie know that despite everything that she has done for you, that you just could not fight anymore. You are ready to go on to the RB, where you will wait for her, one fine day.

phesina
10-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Oh, Melissa, I am so very sorry.

Rest in peace, sweet Anika. Your meowmie loves you very, very much.

Pat,with LES

kb2yjx
10-06-2008, 03:00 PM
I just happened to come to Cat Talk and I saw the update. Melissa, your heart is very heavy right now. It is never easy to say goodbye to a good friend like Anika. Many of us have gone thru exactly what you are going thru now, and we are here for you. Prayers and hugs for you. Sleep softly, sweet Anika...Sandra

pomtzu
10-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Melissa

I am so sorry that all the medical care and PT prayers and well wishes couldn't save Anika. She is at peace now, and may you also find peace knowing that she will be playing and healthy once again at The Bridge.
RIP little Anika. :love:

Ellie

GILL
10-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Oh Melissa the Crew and I are so so sorry. She is with out pain and problems now.
As too the donations, remember you still have the vet bills to pay. I just sorry that we Could not help more. But like ET some times it's out of our hands.

lvpets2002
10-06-2008, 03:25 PM
:( Oh I am so so Saddened to read this.. RIP wittle Anika.. Bigg Huggss Melissa

Anikaca77
10-06-2008, 04:23 PM
I was with Anika today as well as my husband and my mom.

We got to spend about an hour with her before the whole thing took place and it was very hard, she was yellow from the jaundice but now she is sleeping peacefully and playing somewhere. I would of done the ultrasound but from what the vet said she needed intensive care right away and that meant tubes in her nose and an iv. The vet said she could keep her alive and I didn't want her to suffer. She was very peaceful for me it was so hard and I'm going to miss her so much. Sometime I will post something in the cat memorial section but for now I can't.

I will use the donations I've received towards vet bills and if anyone would like theirs back please feel free to PM me I understand.

Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart, Melissa

My husband would like to write something as well:

This is Rob, Melissa's husband. I just wanted to say a heartfelt thanks to all of you who have helped my wife and I through all of this. I know that many of you know the heartache we are feeling right now, and I want you all to know how appreciative we are for all of your help. We did for Anika the last kindness we could, and though our time together was too short, I know I will never be able to look at another cat without thinking of my baby girl and those beautiful, piercing green eyes. Thank all of you for all you have done.

lvpets2002
10-06-2008, 04:31 PM
:( Huggss for you Melissa & family.. Anika is of course Playing at the Bridge.. The RB Angels have come got her & taking Anika to the Golden Doors.. She is with all the other PT Beloved Babies Now.. Corinna will rock Anika for a while to settle her & then All the PT Angels will be playing in the wind & in your Hearts Melissa.. God Bless You All.. I cant see to write anylonger due to the tears.. RIP Wittle One Anika

mamaducky
10-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Melissa and Rob,

My heart is aching for you today; I hope it helps to know that you did everything you could for Anika, and that she knew to the very end how much you loved her.

You're in my thoughts and prayers -- hang in there.

Hugs,
Diana

Catlady711
10-06-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm so sorry. I'm not very good with words at times like this but I can say that from your posts you've given Anika more love and care than many non-PT cats have ever gotten. You've done what you could do for her, tried your best and gave her love until you kindly helped her to the RB. That's the best thing a cat could ask for in a human. She was very lucky to have you for her owner. I'm sure my Dusty is welcoming her to the RB and playing with her right now. My deepest sympathies for you and your family.

carole
10-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Dearest Melissa and Hubby, i am so very sorry for your loss, may you both find comfort here on PT to help you through this, your'e furbaby will be at peace,now happily frolicking amongst the fields at the Rainbow Bridge, RIP little girl, and HUGS to you both.:love:

G535
10-06-2008, 05:12 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Anika. This is almost exactly what happened to my Finnigan last year it's like going through it all again, she even looks a lot like him.

jenluckenbach
10-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Oh dear God, I am so sorry. :( I have not posted, but I know your pain.

RIP Anika. You will never be forogtten.

Alysser
10-06-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm so sorry about poor Anika. :(

cristy
10-06-2008, 07:15 PM
My heart is so heavy for both of you right now. Anika knew to the end how much she was loved and her passing was peaceful and comfortable...that is the best you could do for her. Remember the good times and know that she is happy and you will see her again!

Moesha
10-06-2008, 07:17 PM
OH NO!!! I am so sorry to hear this sad news! I wish there was something I could say to help ease the pain. I hope that you'll remember the happy times and that those memories will bring you comfort.

LionHart
10-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Dear Melissa & Rob, {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I SO know what you've gone thru and are going thru. A few years ago a stray came into my life, a white and gray boy who I named Baby Boy. He was already neutered. Some one moved away and just left him to fend for himself outdoors.

He was a bad boy, marking everything in sight—inside as well! But he made up for that by being a love bug and a playful bugger. The vet estimated his age as between 6 or 8 yr.

About 2 years after he came he started to get sick, similar to your baby Anika. I did what you did. Vet visits, lab work, the A/D food, force feeding…. But there came a time that I had to make the decision. It was hard in a way, but then again I didn’t want Baby Boy to suffer anymore than he was. Friends kept telling me that I did all I could do for him and that was more than his previous owner. That comforted me, knowing that I gave him a better life than if he were outside alone.

I know it’s hard and it hurts, it hurts every time. You’re not human if it doesn’t affect you.

Know that Anika had your TLC and continue to give that TLC to your other babies! And don’t be surprised if they return it. They have an uncanny way of knowing when you need comforting and TLC.

Lori B...

AbbyMom
10-06-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm so sorry to read about Anika. I haven't posted before, but I've been following this thread and wishing the best for you.

It is so very very hard to let go. Still, you loved her and did right by her.

RIP little one.

Emeraldgreen
10-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Melissa and Rob, I'm so sorry. :(
She is free now and out of pain. You were there for her and did all you could, right up to and including the end.
I would like you to keep my donation and perhaps you could use it for Fatty and Pretty Girl or for other vet bills you have owing for all the wonderful care you've provided for not only Anika but all the cats that have crossed your path. :love:

jazzcat
10-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm so sorry. What sad news. :(

Rest in Peace sweet Anika.

Vermontcat
10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:(
I have been following your thread but I haven't posted, I know you did all you could for Anika.
Sending hugs your way.

jennielynn1970
10-06-2008, 10:15 PM
I am so sorry to be seeing this. Sweet Anika is out of pain, and I know it was so hard for you to do. I remember when my RB Bear was so sick and lost so much weight, and I hoped the vet could do more, but he was jaundiced as well and was in liver failure. Such a shock when you don't know what to look for.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Rob during this time. I'm so sorry that you have to go through all this.

Craftlady
10-06-2008, 10:19 PM
So sorry to read this about Anika. May she be a peace without pain playing hard at the RB Bridge.

ChrisH
10-07-2008, 04:49 AM
Oh, Melissa and Rob, I am so very sorry. :( {{hugs}}

Kirsten
10-07-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm very sorry about your loss, Melissa and Rob. It's the hardest thing to go through, and it's sad that your sweet Anika didn't have more years to stay with you. She would have loved to, if she had a choice, I'm sure. You did everything you could to help her fighting her illness, and you were wonderful kitty parents to her.

She's painfree now, and young and healthy again.

R.I.P. little Anika! :love:

Kirsten

moosmom
10-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Melissa and Rob,

I am SO sorry about Anika. You did all you could for her and she is now at peace. You and Rob will be in my thoughts and prayers.

((((((HUGS))))))))

Donna

Anikaca77
10-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Thank you all again for your pt prays. I just wanted to let everyone know I posted something in the cat memorial section tonight.

Thank you all again from the bottoms of our hearts,
Melissa

Denyce
10-08-2008, 08:24 AM
I just read this now and I am trying my very best not to bawl here at work. Your Annie looks so much like my Deirdre.

We had a cat once with what your Annie had. You absolutely did the right thing. We tried like heck to save our Tiger when he was jaundiced and sick with Pancreatitis and the vets all kept telling us back then that cats don't get pancreatitis. We even stupidly went so far as to put in a tummy tube trying to save our 8 year old boy. He died of a heart attack in our arms from all the stress his poor body was put through.

Know for sure in your heart that you did the most loving thing you could have ever possibly done for your girl and she I am sure is playing and free from pain but missing you too.

Denyce

Anikaca77
10-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Thank you, it seems to be getting a little easier up until I go home and she's not there.

She was the loud mouth of the house. Anika would tell Sebastian (my big grey fuzzy guy) off a lot because he would run after Claudia (she was her baby pretty much even though Annie didn't give birth to her) and Ashley (even though she hissed a few times at Ashely she would still defend her from Sebastian).

It's just so quite at home without her there, I'm glad she's not suffering but it's just so weird not having her around, I keep seeing Athena (my other tiger cat I rescued from bellefonte earlier this year) and I have to do a double take thinking it's Anika, last night I had to catch myself because I could of sworn I saw Anika sitting next to the bathroom door and I was going to say come here Annie and then I realized that it was Athena sitting there.

I wrote a thing in the Cat Memorial section about how Anika adopted me and our life up until the end. You might want to read that another time because it gave me tears writing it last night but I needed to do it.

Thank you again,
Melissa

I just read this now and I am trying my very best not to bawl here at work. Your Annie looks so much like my Deirdre.

We had a cat once with what your Annie had. You absolutely did the right thing. We tried like heck to save our Tiger when he was jaundiced and sick with Pancreatitis and the vets all kept telling us back then that cats don't get pancreatitis. We even stupidly went so far as to put in a tummy tube trying to save our 8 year old boy. He died of a heart attack in our arms from all the stress his poor body was put through.

Know for sure in your heart that you did the most loving thing you could have ever possibly done for your girl and she I am sure is playing and free from pain but missing you too.

Denyce

orangemm
10-09-2008, 05:04 AM
Melissa and Rob, I am so sorry to hear about Anika; my heart is heavy reading your posts. Please know that your sweet girl is happy at the Bridge, playing and waiting for you, free of pain. It's the hardest thing in the world to do, but the ultimate kindness for Anika.

(((((hugs to both of you)))))