PDA

View Full Version : McCains' swollen left cheek?

joycenalex
09-28-2008, 11:51 AM
anyone else noticed that his left cheek has gotten puffier and larger since late winter?

Grace
09-28-2008, 12:36 PM
I thought it appeared more pronounced, also.

Usually he prefers to sit so the camera is on his right - thus the swelling isn't as evident.

joycenalex
09-28-2008, 01:01 PM
i know that was the side that he's had some melanomas removed from, so some post biopsy swelling is normal, but it's been a good while since he's reported to have had a biopsy, so this swelling seems unrelated to that. and even to my eyes on a smallish computer screen, it looks pretty obvious.

Catty1
09-28-2008, 01:39 PM
There are three kinds of melanoma...my dad unfortunately got the kind that you don't wanna get. By the time you see evidence on the skin, it is through the body's system, and usually fatal. It can quietly spread even if not visible on the skin.

While I wish the man good health for his own sake, this does raise the possibility of Sarah Palin becoming Pres should McCain win, and his health fail afterwards.

He underwent the surgery in 2000, so odds seem good...but what's with the latest biopsies?

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/01/senator-mccains-health/

Paging Dr. Gupta « Back to Blog Main
April 1, 2008
John McCain’s health
Posted: 02:44 PM ET

By Dr. Sanjay Gupta
Chief Medical Correspondent

Tonight, we are going to air a piece about Sen. John McCain’s health. Truth is, it has been hard to get many details about the man, as his staff has not released his medical records since 2000. We know, as I’m sure you do by now, that if he wins, he will be the oldest president ever elected. He would be 2 years and 165 days older than Ronald Reagan was at the time of his inauguration. Though, I must admit, I love that his 96-year-old mother has occasionally been on the trail with him. He is making the point that he has good genes.

You have probably also heard McCain has malignant melanoma. Our research shows that if elected, he would not be the first president to have cancer. Grover Cleveland had cancer in his jaw. Reagan had both colon cancer and skin cancer, a less serious basal cell carcinoma, on his nose. From what we have gathered, McCain has Stage IIA melanoma, which carries an average 10-year survival rate of 66 percent. Dermatologists say McCain’s odds are better because the odds improve the longer you go without a recurrence.

If you see the pictures of his face, you will no doubt see a scar running down the left side and persistent puffiness of his left cheek. This is from the aggressive operation he had to remove the cancer as well as the lymph nodes in the area, as well as part of his parotid gland. When we show those pictures to independent doctors, some have told us an operation of that magnitude would’ve been done only for a much more serious and aggressive cancer than IIA melanoma. Other doctors disagree, saying McCain’s aggressive operation may have been done out of an abundance of caution, where doctors removed more lymph nodes and other tissue than is normally done, because he is, well, John McCain.

Grace
09-28-2008, 02:14 PM
I tend to think the extensive scar is due to aggressive surgery. Better to be safe than sorry. McCain was originally diagnosed back in 1993.

Sam Donaldson had a melanoma removed from his groin in 1995. He was a stage III - and is still going strong 13 years later.

Shonda Schilling, wife of Curt Schilling (Baseball Pitcher) had a melanoma removed back in March 2001. She was stage II.

Troy Aikman had one removed 10 years ago.

Then there was poor Maureen Reagan who died in 2001. She was diagnosed 5 years earlier, but she ended up with mets to the bone and brain.

lizbud
09-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Then there was poor Maureen Reagan who died in 2001. She was diagnosed 5 years earlier, but she ended up with mets to the bone and brain.

Wow, I really didn't think of this as a "serious" tpye cancer.:eek:

I have no idea what the swelling is from, but I've noticed it in some of
McCain's news pictures. I've also noticed the positioning he favors when
being interviewd on film.