PDA

View Full Version : *77...important!!

moosmom
09-28-2008, 10:31 AM
My former manager sent me this in an email. I've checked SNOPES and it is not a hoax. Please read this and pass it on, as it could save your life.

Subject: Must Know About *77Must know about*77I knew about the red light on cars, but not the *77.It was about 1:00 p.m. in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visitafriend. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lightson.*Lauren's parents have always told them never to pull over for anunmarkedcar on the side of the road, but rather to wait until they get to a gasstation, etc. *Lauren had actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called* 77 on her cell phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would notpullover right away. She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was anunmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her.Thedispatcher checked to
see if there were police cars near where she wasandthere weren't, and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that hehadback up already on the way.Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her along with the unmarked carbehind her.One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind.They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground. The manwasa convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes, including previousImpersonating an Officer charges.I never knew about the*77 Cell Phone feature, but especially for a womanalone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car. Apparentlypolice have to respect your right to keep going to a safe &quiet placee.You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them (i.e.puton your hazard lights) or call *77 like Lauren did.Too bad the cell phone companies don't generally
give you this littlebit ofwonderful information.*Speaking to a service representative at BellSouth Mobility confirmedthat*77 was a direct link to state trooper info in all states. So, now it'syourturn to let your friends know about *77.Send this to every woman (or person) you know; it may save a life.

Catty1
09-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Actually, Googling the subject brings up items that are perhaps hard-to-find, in this case, on Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/fakecop.asp

HOAX.

Snopes doesn't seem to allow copy-and-paste, but they do quote an example of the email from 2002. It's been around a while.

The name, numbers dialed, and countries change over a few years (see "Variations")

Cinder & Smoke
09-28-2008, 10:45 AM
I've checked SNOPES and it is not a hoax.

*Speaking to a service representative at BellSouth Mobility
confirmed that *77 was a direct link to state trooper info in all states.

Here's the Snope.com link on this >>>

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/fakecop.asp

NOTE:

*77 and #77 do NOT work in all states and with every cellular system!

Snope.com suggests calling 9-1-1 if you need Help on the road.

moosmom
09-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Well now, I feel pretty stupid.

Catty1
09-28-2008, 10:59 AM
You're not stupid at all...these emails are very believable.

A couple of signs that an email IS a hoax:

1. No specific dates or locations are mentioned, where someone could actually check on the story.
2. Dramatic and urgent story.
3. THIS is the biggie - it asks you to send TO EVERYONE ON YOUR LIST.
4. "Proof" -
*Speaking to a service representative at BellSouth Mobility confirmedthat*77 was a direct link to state trooper info in all states. Call BellSouth yourself; call the email's bluff.

#3 is the real tip-off.;)

Cinder & Smoke
09-28-2008, 12:37 PM

No need for that!
It's sometimes very difficult to check out a story on Snopes.com -
they write some VERY *strange* titles for their articles -
*searching* for the wrong key words can lead you to a dead-end
and the thought that there is no Snopes coverage on the subject.

Been there! :p

Medusa
09-28-2008, 05:36 PM

Nothing stupid about trying to help people, Donna.

smokey the elder
10-02-2008, 12:37 PM
I think 911 is a safer bet, and every police organization in the country would agree.

sumbirdy
10-02-2008, 10:57 PM
While this is a hoax, it is true that you shouldn't pull over for an unmarked car but rather lead them to the police station. They do have to respect your right for that. Where I live 99% of the cops are crooked, so I would always drive them to the police station. Our police station road has a good bit of traffic at most times.