PDA

View Full Version : Tell me I did this right...

Giselle
09-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Facts of the case:

As I was walking Giselle and Ivy, a neighbor's dog (who we've met before) was loose. Ivy is extremely leash reactive so I yelled (verbatim), "My dogs aren't friendly!!" (Giselle is friendly, but that takes too much time to spit out.)

Anyways, that wasn't even a problem because their dog came out and charged Giselle. My hands were literally tied then because I had to simultaneously protect Giselle and keep Ivy away from their dog. Obviously, I could only do one, so Giselle had to bear the brunt of the attack. The owner of the other dog immediately ran up and grabbed her and apologized. I was too shocked to reply, so I just continued our walk. When I went home, I saw a laceration about the size of a nickel on the side of Giselle's face. It looked pretty shallow, so I gave it 3 days to heal by itself.

By the third day, it didn't look right so I went to the e-vet. They just gave us antibiotics and told us to keep it clean. I sent our neighbors a letter explaining what happened, why I took Giselle to the vet, and that I would appreciate it if they paid the full cost of the bill. I included a copy of the receipt and pictures of the wound.

But I have this weird guilty feeling. These neighbors have been very nice to us and they like Ivy a lot. It also doesn't help that their dog is a Pittie. :( I've always been a champion of pitties (especially shelter pits), and it feels so odd now that we've actually been attacked by one. Our neighbors have not responded yet, and I just feel extremely nervous and guilty...Please, tell me I did this right...

Karen
09-28-2008, 12:54 AM
You did the right thing. Don't feel guilty, and I am sure if they are dog lovers they will understand. They probably wouldn't want the police involved and the media because their dog is a pittie, so they'll appreciate you keeping it between you two.

scrain2329
09-28-2008, 01:32 AM
You are 100% doing the right thing. Even if the neighbors dog wasnt a pittie, it is the right thing to keep it between the 2 of you, as well as ask them to pay for the billing.
Hopefully all is well with the puncture now : )

bckrazy
09-28-2008, 02:35 AM
Omg. :( Poor little Giselle... she doesn't deserve to go through that, and neither do you.

Your neighbors made a mistake - and when people make mistakes, they SHOULD be accountable for any and all reprecussions of their mistake. Hopefully, when they see that bill and the statement that verifies that their dog actually hurt Giselle, they will re-think allowing their dog to roam off-leash. Don't feel guilty, at all, Sophie! You absolutely shouldn't be paying for the damage that some one else's dog inflicted, especially out of their own carelessness. I love Pitties, too, but GOD knows the last thing this breed needs is owners who allow their dogs to run amuck biting other dogs.

Gonzy says he wishes he could've been there to defend his boo!

kt_luvs_kitties
09-28-2008, 02:42 AM
First off, I am sorry about Giselle, and for you. How scary!

Second, I think it is perfectly acceptable for you to ask for the bills to be covered. It is their fault their dog got loose. I know I would want to pay for ANY AND ALL damage my dog caused to someone elses property OR pets.

I would ask for proof of immunizations as well, to be on the safe side.

I also would have went to talk to them personally, because it is hard to get true emotions/expectations across through a letter. BUT nonetheless.. They should be more than willing to pay. If they are good owners, no hard feelings will come of this.;) GOOD LUCK! And kisses to Giselle.

Ginger's Mom
09-28-2008, 07:23 AM
You did the right thing in presenting them with the bill. Since you said you had a good relationship with them I may have done it in person rather than by letter, but the fact that I am older has a lot to do with that (I don't think you should have). However, they should be responsible for the costs associated with the injury caused by their dog. Taz went after a friend's dog while we were talking about a month ago, and I offered to accompany her to the vet or pay the bill (just a little puncture under the eye-she said she would take care of it herself, no vet). They probably didn't realize that Giselle was actually injured at the time. I hope Giselle is feeling better.

chocolatepuppy
09-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Did the neighbor inquire as to if Giselle was okay the day of the attack? They should have. Then you wouldn't be wondering if you did the right thing. Even if they are nice people and this is the first time their dog was loose and maybe by accident, it doesn't matter, they are responsible for what their dog did, just as any of us here would be.
I hope Giselle is doing ok.

Freedom
09-28-2008, 10:02 AM
How frightening! I think you did fine focusing on your reactive dog. Poor Giselle, glad it isn't serious.

And I agree with you following up with the neighbors. I think Ginger's Mom said it well.

moosmom
09-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Your neighbors should consider themselves very lucky that you are ony asking them to pay the vet costs. You did the right thing.

Taz_Zoee
09-28-2008, 11:10 AM
OH my gosh, Sophie. I got tears in my eyes reading this. I cannot imagine going through that. How scary!
But I agree, you did the right thing. Unless you feel like you, along with one of your parents, could go follow up on the letter, you might just have to realize they won't pay what you requested. It would be great if they did, but you never know. I also hope it doesn't cause uncomfortableness (Is that even a word? LOL) between you now.

Poor Giselle, I hope she is feeling better soon!! Give her hugs and kisses for me please. :)

Spiritwind
09-28-2008, 12:50 PM
I agree with everyone else. I would hope the owners of the dog would step up and pay the bills without any issues... I don't think you did anything wrong!

I had something similar happen what about 13yrs ago... I was walking my first Collie, who was barely a year old... we were walking around the high school football stadium when this guy with a Golden showed up with his dog off leash.. he was on the complete opposite side of the stadium but his dog saw mine and came charging around after us. The owner of the Golden did nothing more than walk around to get to his dog, he was in no hurry... of course by the time he got to his dog, his dog had already jumped on mine (I was 12-13yrs old at the time) and knocked him down a few steps, and though I didn't know it at the time, my dog had got bitten a couple times on the hock. I couldn't break it up myself, plus my dog wouldn't let the golden near me, he kept himself between me and the other dog.... by the time the owner got there the dog stopped attacking mine... the goldens owner asked if I was ok, didn't ask about my dog... and said his dog just wanted to play.. leashed him up and left...

As I was walking home I noticed blood running down my dogs back leg... vets were closed so we took him the next morning... it was nothing major but he was sore for a few days and limped around for a few days.

I didn't know who the Golden's owner was though... but by talking to a few other people in the general area, who have had similar issues with a Golden going after their dogs, we got the name of the possible owner and tracked him down so he could pay vet bills... took a couple weeks to finally talk to the guy but he paid the bills...

Giselle
09-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys. Well, how's this for a positive update?

The owner of the dog called me this morning to apologize and gladly offered to pay the full cost of the bill. He also said he didn't feel comfortable knowing that Giselle and his dog would have this angst between them, so he wants the two dogs to re-meet each other in a controlled setting. The ONLY reason why I'm agreeing to this is because we've met his dog twice before and she *was* very dog friendly. I appreciate his wanting to work through it, so I'll give it one shot but I'll be insisting his dog be muzzled. I also intend to use the opportunity to tell him that, regardless of whether or not HIS dog is friendly, Ivy can never be approached by a loose dog. Hopefully, I can convey my message clearly enough that we won't have to go through this again...

Giselle is doing fine. Her wound looks a little angrier today, but I know all things get worse before they get better. Here's what it looked like yesterday:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/LSophie/IMG_4215.jpg
You gotta love greyhound skin :rolleyes: It wasn't bad on the first day, but then it got bigger and redder and puss-ier so now we're on meds just in case!

scrain2329
09-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Thats a great update, I'm glad that they are choosing to do the right thing. I think a re meet is a great idea on his part and a muzzle is also a good thing : ) glad everything is turning out well.

kt_luvs_kitties
09-29-2008, 02:39 AM
That is a GREAT update. Sounds like your neighbors are responsible dog lovers who want the best not only for their dogs, but their communities as well.

Does the heart good to know there are such responsible pet owners out there, and they are showing exactly what a pitbull owner should be. If all owners of pits were like them, Pits would not be condemned in the way they are!:D

Pets for Giselle!:love:

chocolatepuppy
09-29-2008, 05:02 AM
That's great news. Now poor Giselle needs to get all better.

Ginger's Mom
09-29-2008, 10:55 AM
That is a GREAT update. Sounds like your neighbors are responsible dog lovers who want the best not only for their dogs, but their communities as well.

Does the heart good to know there are such responsible pet owners out there, and they are showing exactly what a pitbull owner should be. If all owners of pits were like them, Pits would not be condemned in the way they are!:D

Pets for Giselle!:love:

This says everything I would want to say. :) Oh, except, let us know how the meet up goes.

4 Dog Mother
09-29-2008, 11:01 AM
I am glad that all of this has been resolved and it came out well. An owner whose dog attacks another should be willing to pay the vet bills - and being one of those owners I have always asked if the dog is okay and let them know how to reach me if something showed up later. Thank God,(knock on wood), Dazzi seems to have mellowed in the last couple of years and doesn't do this anymore). Dazzi is a great dog but there are some breeds she doesn't (didn't) like and she would go after them. In response to the golden owner who took his time to get to Spirit Wind's aid, I always start running at her to get her to stop. One time she did do damage to a cocker spaniel at the Bowling Green Dog Park - I gave the lady my name and number and she called and sent the vet bill to me. I quickly paid it. And just so none of you feel the need to ask why I took her to dog parks when she did attack some---we could take Dazzi 100 times to a dog park and she wouldn't pay attention to a dog but if a golden retriever, cocker spaniel or short haired german pointer came in off she went (usually not always). If I saw them coming I would leash her until she met them and I could tell how she was going to react to them and sometimes she had to stay leashed or in the time out cage while the other dog was at the dog park. But there were several occasions (as in the cocker spaniel one) she seemed to be okay with them and then they would do something 5 or 10 minutes later and off she went.

I have seen greyhounds get hurt and with their skin, it always seems worse and harder to heal. I hope all will be better with Giselle soon and yes you did the right thing.

caseysmom
09-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Aw poor Giselle, yes you did the right thing. Hopefully they will be more careful they are risking their own dogs life letting it run free.

shais_mom
09-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I am glad that all of this has been resolved and it came out well. An owner whose dog attacks another should be willing to pay the vet bills - and being one of those owners I have always asked if the dog is okay and let them know how to reach me if something showed up later. Thank God,(knock on wood), Dazzi seems to have mellowed in the last couple of years and doesn't do this anymore). Dazzi is a great dog but there are some breeds she doesn't (didn't) like and she would go after them. In response to the golden owner who took his time to get to Spirit Wind's aid, I always start running at her to get her to stop. One time she did do damage to a cocker spaniel at the Bowling Green Dog Park - I gave the lady my name and number and she called and sent the vet bill to me. I quickly paid it. And just so none of you feel the need to ask why I took her to dog parks when she did attack some---we could take Dazzi 100 times to a dog park and she wouldn't pay attention to a dog but if a golden retriever, cocker spaniel or short haired german pointer came in off she went (usually not always). If I saw them coming I would leash her until she met them and I could tell how she was going to react to them and sometimes she had to stay leashed or in the time out cage while the other dog was at the dog park. But there were several occasions (as in the cocker spaniel one) she seemed to be okay with them and then they would do something 5 or 10 minutes later and off she went.

I have seen greyhounds get hurt and with their skin, it always seems worse and harder to heal. I hope all will be better with Giselle soon and yes you did the right thing.

as soon as I read this I immediatly thought of you Diana, I knew you'd been there done that. I think Sophie did the right thing, just like you did in your case of course. It is assuming responsiblity for something that while you (in general) didn't cause it - you are taking responsibility for the actions of your dog. Your kid breaks the neighbor's window you make him pay for it. In this case since the dog can't pay for it unfortunately you will. I am glad this owner is willing to step up and do what is right.
I have seen Dazzi in action and she does do exactly what Diana says. She has mellowed *(knock on wood)*. :)
Unfortunately as responsible pet owners we have to deal with IRResponsible pet owners out there. Lawn Chair Guy comes right to my mind! :mad:

Taz_Zoee
09-30-2008, 01:24 PM
I am so glad to hear the owner stepped up and also that he wants them to meet again. I'm guessing Ivy is the one that set the other dog off. I'm sure Giselle and the dog will get along fine. I've met Miss Giselle and she is a sweetheart. Of course I've met Ivy too and I thought she was a sweetheart too. She was much younger back then.
This is why I haven't taken Zoee to the dog park in months. Her reaction to other dogs (while on leash) appears to be so aggressive....hair standing up, lunging, barking her head off. I'm sure other dogs and their owners look at her like she is some crazy vicious canine. And I don't want another agressive (or not) dog to misunderstand and attack.

Please give Giselle, Ivy and Lucky loves for me!! :)

Alysser
09-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Aw, Gissie always seems to get attacked. Poor girl. :( I hope she is doing better. That's great news about the other dogs owner, he sounds like a nice guy. Hopefully this was an isolated incident and he won't let it happen again.

cyber-sibes
09-30-2008, 04:05 PM
I just saw this - I also hope Giselle heals quickly. You did the right thing, & it sounds like they are good owners. Hope the meet-up goes well.
You mentioned that you need to tell him Ivy can never meet a dog off leash- just be sure he understands she is NOT dangerous. Somehow wanting to keep Jack away from small dogs (which he wants to play "gotcha" with) has been misconstrued & last week a guy with an Eskie asked me which one of my dogs was "the mean one." MY jaw dropped open. "Neither" I said.

We were only attacked on a walk once, by a golden, not a breed I would expect to be aggressive! When we got home, I noticed a puncture wound on the underside of star's jaw. I called the dog warden, not to press charges, but to check if the other dog was up to date on immunizations. He came out, checked Star & Rosie, then the other dog, it was up to date. He told them if it happened again they would be required to tie their golden and not rely on their invisible fencing, which obviously didn't prevent the dog from leaving the yard. Thankfully there were no vet bills, but I'm pretty sure they would have paid them.

Cinder & Smoke
09-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Unfortunately as responsible pet owners we have to deal
with IRResponsible pet owners out there.

Lawn Chair Guy comes right to my mind! :mad:

Sadly, Lawn Chair Guy is a great example of a BAD Pet Parent;
and he's well on his way to having a BADLY misbehaved Pet (dog). :(

Giselle
09-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Cindy, I think you may have a point with Ivy. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she was the trigger because all of the dogs involved were females (and we all know female dogs are called b*tches for a reason :D). She gives off weird vibes, too. Her style of greeting is really confrontational and seems to bring out the worst in some dogs.

BUT here's another piece to the puzzle: His female dog is NOT spayed. In fact, he currently has 3 of her young puppies at home. Miss Momma Pittie attacked us right in front of her house...Methinks there's some territorial issues going on there... As you can probably tell, I went to his house today to pick up the payment, and he paid it in full and was very apologetic and understanding. That's when I saw 3 little pittie pups in the backyard. At any rate, we'll be walking Giselle and Momma Pit together on neutral territory tomorrow just to help replace a bad memory with a positive experience. Here's hoping it all goes well!

(Also, I did explain to him that Ivy has some odd issues and that I can't have loose dogs approaching her. He was very understanding and rather knowledgeable, too, so I really don't think this incident will ever happen again.)

Thanks for all the support guys! I'm just thankful Giselle is such a calm sweetheart :p For all the bad experiences she's been through, I'm amazed she isn't fearful yet!