PDA

View Full Version : Visitors to our yard

Pam
09-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I was just about to let the dogs out the other day and spied these beautiful creatures in the woods behind my house (you can see our gate leading to the woods). There were three little ones and a mom. In the past Ripley's barking has made them run for their lives. :p I have no idea what he would do if they were inside our the fence and didn't run. He'd probably be scared to death. :rolleyes: They stayed for about 15 minutes so hubby had lots of time to grab his camera. :)

What makes this all so interesting is that I live in the suburbs and not in the country, literally yards from a major highway. I have often wanted to leave food for them but I am sure that is not a good idea.

pomtzu
09-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Aren't they beautiful??? I love to sit out on my front porch and watch them come out of the woods across the street. Normally I only see 1 or 2 at a time, but a couple of weeks ago 4 came out of the woods and were playing in the farmer's soybean field. Next year corn will be planted there (he rotates crops each year) so I'll probably see a lot more of them! :D

AdoreMyDogs
09-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Oh how beautiful they are. What a lovely sight that must be right outside your back door! Lucky, lucky you!!!

lvpets2002
09-26-2008, 10:12 AM
:love: Awee how so pretty they are.. great pics thanks

Logan
09-26-2008, 10:46 AM
That is amazing, Pam. I'm so glad Wade had his camera handy and that our friend, Ripley, didn't scare them off!! :)

pitc9
09-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Wow!
Great pictures!

Freedom
09-26-2008, 01:46 PM
What a lovely family! How nice that you were able to enjoy them. And that WE can share the fun. Thank you!

Ginger's Mom
09-26-2008, 02:05 PM
They sure are beautiful, Pam. I really do wonder how they survive around here, it really is so built up. You are smart, pretty ones, to stay so close to Pam's house, she will help keep you safe.

Pam
09-26-2008, 02:14 PM
They sure are beautiful, Pam. I really do wonder how they survive around here, it really is so built up. You are smart, pretty ones, to stay so close to Pam's house, she will help keep you safe.

It is amazing, isn't it Joyce? The thing that really amazes me is how they walk along the side of the Atlantic City Expressway with cars traveling 70 MPH :eek::eek: and don't seem to even notice.

Hubby got an awesome picture several weeks ago of a young buck. He still had his "velvet" on his antlers. I didn't even know that is what it was called but my son has friends that hunt and he used that term. I could never kill such a beautiful animal, but I don't want to take this thread in another direction. They are just beautiful awesome creatures!

buddy.09
09-26-2008, 03:19 PM
They are beautiful
Great pictures!

RICHARD
09-26-2008, 03:31 PM
I have often wanted to leave food for them but I am sure that is not a good idea.

DON'T DO THAT!!!!!

They'll come back for your plants later on!:D

Neat pics!

Edwina's Secretary
09-26-2008, 04:43 PM
When we lived in Chicago we had deer. Yup...in the city of Chicago. I would see them often very early in the morning. One evening we were out for a walk and saw a momma deer and her twin fawns a couple blocks from our house. They were having a buffet of the community garden! :eek::eek: Then we saw poppa...a buck with a gorgeous rack!

I should note we lived on the edge of a forest preserve and golf course.

Your visitors are lovely!

Karen
09-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Wow, cool. There must be abundant food for her to have triplets who survived. Beautiful creatures, thanks for sharing. We occasionally see a deer or two by the side of the highway near here, but they are always right on the edge of the thick woods, into which they could rapidly escape.

boomersooner
09-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Very cool!!! If we had them around here, Boomer and Cassie would probably freak at the "giant squirrels"!

K9karen
09-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Isn't mummy nature wonderful????

Thanx for the lovely pictures! Big hugs to the photog man!

Pam
09-26-2008, 09:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Belrip/DSC_4914_CS2_1600.jpg

Here's the shot that hubby took a few weeks ago of the young buck in the woods, also just a little beyond our fence. Handsome, huh?

blue
09-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Cool pics.

Ive had winter scares letting the dogs out when moose are in the yard.

gini
09-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Oh Pam, what wonderful pictures. That is something I will never see in my backyard. I loved the picture of the young buck.

boomersooner
09-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Great pictures of the young buck...He looks very confident and brave....just like a young buck!! HA

Alysser
09-27-2008, 08:51 AM
What a great picture hubby took of the young buck. He's so handsome and looks pretty proud of himself. :p I always see deer near Six Flags(I MENTION this place WAY too much!!) INSIDE the parking lot and near the employee housing. There are many fire roads going through the woods around there and we see them all the time all the way down the dirt roads or in the fields by the employment center. The park has a big problem with wildlife at times, especially in winter.

Casper
09-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Beautiful! I adore seeing deer, they are one of my most favorite animals.

Deer are a problem around here, too. Quite a few of them reside in our neighborhood. And like you, we live very close to a busy highway.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r310/CheckAgain/IMG_5759.jpg
These two always hang out around our yard, but now have lost most of their spots.

Thanks for sharing those pictures, the deer were captured beautifully!

Randi
09-27-2008, 09:34 AM
What a view you have, Pam! :) So soothing! I'll be looking forward to go for a walk in Dyrehaven (a wood north of Copenhagen) to see all the animals. This is the place:

pomtzu
09-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Great pictures Pam. I live in the country and I don't get to see them at such a close range - across the front yard, across the road, across a field - and then finally the woods! Occassionally one will dart across the back yard late at night - Sparky took off in hot pursuit of one not too long ago. :eek: Dumb pup! With all I've seen this year it will probably be a great year for the hunters. Bummer!!!! :(

jazzcat
09-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Neat pictures Pam.

My Dad has a mother with her two young that come into his front yard to eat apples from his tree every couple of days. I took some pictures with my cell phone but they didn't come out well.

My Father-in-Law just emailed pictures he took of 4 or 5 deer in his yard this week. I'm always terrified when I drive to either one's house that a deer will run out in front of me and this year there seems to be so many more.

cassiesmom
09-27-2008, 06:29 PM
When we lived in Chicago we had deer. Yup...in the city of Chicago. I would see them often very early in the morning. One evening we were out for a walk and saw a momma deer and her twin fawns a couple blocks from our house. They were having a buffet of the community garden! :eek::eek: Then we saw poppa...a buck with a gorgeous rack!

I should note we lived on the edge of a forest preserve and golf course.

Your visitors are lovely!

Awwww, hello, lovely visitors!

Every now and again, mostly in the spring, I see a doe close to the road at the edge of the forest preserve.

Cinder & Smoke
09-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Living in the country, with over a mile of dense woods covering the north
side of the road across from the Ranch, we see a deer or two or three
almost any day of the year. And they often visit the pond for a sip 'o
water in the evenings.

The FurKids and I were bussing our way home from somewhere late at
night last fall ... I'd just turned into the driveway and neared the Pond
on the left ... when Clipp & Clopp *exploded* out of the back seat and
jammed their heads out my driver's window **BARKIN** their heads off!

I stomped on the brakes and tried to reel in the K9 Alarm system ...
just in time to avoid being overrun by The Herd of Bambi's relatives! :eek:

At least 4-5 adults, and a horde of yearlings (6-8 in number) spooked and
dashed up the bank from the pond, split in two to run around the bus,
(TWO jumped OVER the hood :eek: ) and then beat feet across the front
yard, over the fence, and into the neighbor's woods.

I don't think ANY of us had ever been THAT close to a deer on the run,
let alone a dozen of 'em!! :cool:
The Dynamic Duo spent a LOTTA Tyme on their outie trying to *sniff* out
the intruding deer; luckily for all, the deer had wandered off to less
disturbing and noisy stomping grounds.

;)