PDA

View Full Version : I got my books today...*(UPDATED)*

*LabLoverKEB*
09-25-2008, 07:04 PM
(all 13 of them) and I start school for Veterinary Technology on monday!:eek::eek::D I'm super nervous, but a ton of people who know me keep saying "sweetie, I know you will do great!". But they are not too convincing, lol.
I mean, this is what I've wanted to do since I could talk. I have always wanted to work in a field involving animals, especially dogs.
WISH ME LUCK PLEASE!
PT prayers would be great, too! Thanks!

*LabLoverKEB*
09-26-2008, 11:35 AM
*bump*:)

Sirrahsim
09-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Yay!! You are on your way!!

Karen
09-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Congratulations and we are all so proud of you! We know you will do well, after all, you are a Pet Talk human!

lvpets2002
09-26-2008, 12:38 PM
:) You will do Great kiddo as long as this is what you want with all your heart.. Now is this the start of being a Dr.Vet??

*LabLoverKEB*
09-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks everyone! I will become a Veterinary Technician. If I want to go further, I will then become a vet.:)

Ginger's Mom
09-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Good luck, Sarah, I am sure you will do great. How long is the course (2 years?)?

*LabLoverKEB*
09-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks! Yeah, it's about 2 years long... 18 months straight! I'm really bummer about no summer vacation, though...:(

smokey the elder
09-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Good luck! PM me if you need any help with chemistry questions.:)

.sarah
09-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Wow, 13 books ... that must've cost a fortune?! I had 9 books this semester and it cost me $500 total, the most it ever has :(

Good luck with all of the classes! 18 months straight is brutal, I did 4 semesters straight with no break (except for the obvious holidays) which was around 12 months, and it was tiring. I'm sure you will do fine though, your classes will probably be very interesting!

Karen
09-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Next time remember that you might not have to actually BUY all your books - the ones that are good for reference are a good investment, but others you may be able to check out from the library!

I only bought books for my first term freshman year, but I went to college in Boston, and so if I couldn't find the book in a public library, I could usually find it in one of the other colleges nearby.

Miss Z
09-27-2008, 05:37 AM
Wow, good luck! I'm sure you'll do great. :D

*LabLoverKEB*
09-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone!:)
The nice thing about these books, it that they are all included in my tuition!:)

Rachel
09-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Sarah, we are so proud of you for pursuing your dream. It will be a lot of hard work but you have the brains and heart to achieve your goal. Don't be nervous. Everybody else will be in the same situation as you. What may seem overwhelming one day, will become managable the next. You'll see, you're going to do just fine.

*LabLoverKEB*
09-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Aww, thanks Rachel! What great advice! I'm just worried about the math, and the whole keeping up with the work part. I have a learning disability, so it may be hard. But, I will keep my chin up!:)

Alysser
09-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Good luck, Sarah! You made it this far, I know you'll be able to do it! I wish you alot of luck, and keep us updated. :D

Pam
09-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Your future is set before you, and this is just the start! My dad always said that when you love your work it is not work. I know that is how it will be for you! Congratulations on what I know will be a great beginning.;)

chocolatepuppy
09-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Best of Luck!:D

Casper
09-28-2008, 10:58 AM
I am so proud that you are following your dream. Too many people hate the jobs they are at, and it will be well worth all the work to someday be able to wake up each morning and look forward to the day ahead.

Best of luck to you!

*LabLoverKEB*
09-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate all of your encouraging words.:)

*LabLoverKEB*
09-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Just got back a little while ago from getting school supplies.... I start tomorrow at 2:30pm, and will get out at 5:30pm. I will usually start at 12:00pm, and then get out at 5:30. I'm soo nervous!

*LabLoverKEB*
11-09-2008, 01:30 PM
So far I LOVE school, I have awesome teachers, and they are all very helpful. They also have a sense of humor, which helps. :)

I'm just extremly stressed, I have a ton of stuff I have to do.
1. Clinical Rotation (which is where you pick a clinic close to where you live, and they teach you a lot of stuff and learn how to do different procedures and then get them checked off by the doctor, or RVT)
I have not started this yet, I am having trouble finding a clinic.:mad: The first one I was assigned to, couldn't take me, and the next one was too far away, and I don''t drive, so that would be VERY difficult. The next one is way too busy to take the time to teach me stuff, which is understandable. Now, I have called this other one close to the high school I went to, and I have to call them back tomorrow, because the office manager isn't in till then. And on top of all that, after every time I go to my clinical rotation, I have to type up a one page report of what I did, and what I learned while I was there.

2.Term 1 project The project for this term consists of picking 1 mammal, 1 avian (bird), reptile, OR amphibian. Listing their name, and scientific name, natural habitat (country of orgin, climate, food/water source, any specific adaptations/behaviors. Reproduction- gestation period, mating, 'litter' size. Zoonotic disease-(a disease that can be transfered to us human... such as rabies) I have to do a minimum of a 3-page report, AND a power point. The presentation must be at least 10-15 minutes long:eek:.

3. I am not doing so well in chemistry. I got a 40% on my last test...:(:mad: Thank goodness my teacher allows us to do test corrections, which consists of re-writing the whole question, and listing the correct answer, and then list why that is the correct answer, and list why all the other options are incorrect.
I am really struggling in chemistry, I really don't understand it one bit.:(
Any chemistry help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for my rant, I am just extremly stresed out.:(

Catty1
11-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Good for you! I BET you are stressed out, you are working a LOT!

I think your chem teacher's idea of rewriting the questions that way is great, because you get to LEARN from it. I never took chem - math marks weren't good enough - but maybe this will help:

The human brain memorizes in groups of 7, hence the 7 digits in phone numbers (in North America anyway).

So - take all the new terms and words in Chem and make yourself a dictionary. In the one science I took it was largely all the new words that stumped me. So, as you come along new words and terms, put them in your 'dictionary' and write a 7 word definition of it.

I'm sure you could go to your prof with your rewritten test and see if there is a pattern - that way, you can focus on one area of how you learn it instead of panicking in anticipation of the next test. ;)

Just a thought.

You go, girl!

Alysser
11-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Sarah I'm sorry to hear you are so stressed. I cannot promise I will be much of a help with chemistry as I'm in hs and you are in college but I can certainly try. What are you learning right now? Pm me if you
want.

*LabLoverKEB*
11-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks you two.:)
Alyssa, we are just learning the basics of chemistry... I don't even know how to explain that... shows how much I know, lol:o

Cincy'sMom
11-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Anything we can do to help with the chemistry, let us know. I think there are several of us here with chemistry backgrounds/degrees.

gemini9961
11-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Good luck! PM me if you need any help with chemistry questions.:)

Chemistry help offered here...

Good luck with school. It will be worth it in the end.

*LabLoverKEB*
11-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys. I understand the chemistry a *little* better right now.... we went over some of it in class today.:)

Alysser
11-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Are you learning Significant Figures? Electron Configuration or something like that?

*LabLoverKEB*
11-14-2008, 12:25 PM
So, I finally have a clinic that I can do my clinical rotation at. :D:D:D I'm sooo excited! I go in today at 2:30pm, and I'll be there intil 6pm or so. Thanks for all the support, everyone.:love:

CathyBogart
11-14-2008, 01:16 PM
I just graduated from a vet tech program in June so I'd be happy to help with anything.

Don't stress about medical math...I failed basic algebra three times (and I was really trying!) but medical math was an absolute snap...I'd be happy to lend a hand if that gives you any trouble!

Edit: I'm afraid I can't help with Chem though...I passed that by the skin of my teeth...literally by like three points! It just boggles my mind.

*LabLoverKEB*
11-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Oh thank you sooo much!! I will deffinetly let you know if I need help with anything! Awesome!:)

*LabLoverKEB*
12-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Sorry I keep bringing this thread back up.... but I have some good news!

We were all given a printout of our midterm grades yesterday during class...
And I have an:
A- in terminology
A- in Breed ID, Animal Handling, Animal Behavior, & Occupational Safety
And the one that shocked me...
C- in Science (Biology & Chemistry) I know that a C- isn't great, but I had an F before! So, I was thrilled (and so were my parents) that I had brought it up!

Pointless post, but I just thought I would tell you all!:):)