PDA

View Full Version : For all pet owners...

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-09-2002, 05:27 PM
Here's a question for all you pet owners- - -

Your pet is dangerously ill. How much are you willing to pay for your pet to be treated at the animal hospital? Gimmie lotsa answers all u quiet ones out there i wanna do a survey!

since i am only a kid i dont really have a say it that. when i grow up if i have enough money i will pay all the costs, even if its just for a cat! no offense you cat lovers! please choose one of the following....

(A). no more than $500
(B). no more than $1000
(C). any amount over $1000... I would do anything!

C for me!

thanx-
meg:rolleyes:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-09-2002, 05:45 PM
"C" for me also. The determination to stop any treatment would not be made by the cost, it would be made by the determination of quality of life. I would not continue to treat if the animal would live a life of pain. Other than that, though, there would be no end to what I would do. If it were Tubby or Peanut I would gladly spend years paying off a credit card bill to keep them healthy.

Soledad
09-09-2002, 07:07 PM
My parents (not huge animal lovers) answered "C" much to their surprise, when I was around ten years old. Our dog had a rare blood disorder (which we strongly suspect was brought on by our neighbor's poison attempts) which required regular and expensive treatments and surgeries. One night, Smokey had a horrible attack, and my father drove three hours at 2am in the morning to take him to the closest animal hospital open at the time. He drove him to that hospital on at least two other occasions, and paid a phenomenal amount of money (despite us not being particularly wealthy) to keep that dog with us. My parents always left the choice up to us kids as to what Smokey's fate would be, telling us that they would do whatever they could to support it. Ultimately, I made the decision and convinced my brothers that Smokey was in too much pain and that we had to let go, for his sake. We gathered around and took turns petting him, crying and laughing about all the great times we'd had with him.

I think my parents had a remarkable insight into that whole situation. They really allowed us to work through it on our own terms and were truly responsible pet owners (and great parents). If that were to happen again, with me as the adult, I would do everything I could, and not thinking about the money as much as the effectiveness of the treatment, quality of life, etc.

Aspen and Misty
09-09-2002, 07:36 PM
C

Before I got Chewy I asked my parents if they would pay a vet bill if chewy got hit by a car had 2 fractured rids a broken leg and a hospital stay for 4 days all adding up to 4 thousand doallrs (I dunno if thats right but you get the idea) they said they would. I didn't want to get a dog if my paretns were not going to be willing to pay the vet bill if something went wrong. I knwo this isn't alot but every week 8 doallrs gets put into a bank acount of mine. (my dad ptus it in there). The money will not be spent unless one of the pets needs it for a bill. I started it in the middle of last year, when I found out I would be getting a dog. I odn't have alot in there but it is some money :D .

Ash

ps: This isn't alot of money but we payed 30 dollars for a vet apointment for hope. Which to my mom is just a 5 dollar rat. :rolleyes:

Cincy'sMom
09-09-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
"C" for me also. The determination to stop any treatment would not be made by the cost, it would be made by the determination of quality of life. I would not continue to treat if the animal would live a life of pain. Other than that, though, there would be no end to what I would do. If it were Tubby or Peanut I would gladly spend years paying off a credit card bill to keep them healthy.

Couldn't say it better myself

Karen
09-09-2002, 08:54 PM
C.

Cookiebaker
09-09-2002, 09:00 PM
I have to agree with Tubby & Peanut's Mom. It's not a matter of cost, but quality of life, and how much they suffer. It's not how much it costs, but how much they suffer!! If treatment works, then it is sooo worth it!!

anna_66
09-09-2002, 09:08 PM
C for me too. Anything for my babies.

Nomilynn
09-09-2002, 10:35 PM
c for me too!

Fuzzy317
09-10-2002, 02:06 AM
I think it would be a C, depending on the quality of life.

Vi Co Bi's cat, Chrystal, that had to stay with her ex, was put to sleep this past weekend. :( I am leaving talking about details to her, if she is up to it. :confused:

Miss Meow
09-10-2002, 02:26 AM
We chose 'C' about six months ago for Mini and are still paying off the visa card. But we don't care; every time we walk in the door and see how happy and healthy he looks now, it doesn't matter how long it takes to pay back. Money can always be earned and repaid in the future, but a life is unique.

But I'd consider all options if a cat was in constant pain or if there were other quality of life issues.

I'm sorry to hear about Vi Co Bi's cat.

Piglet
09-10-2002, 03:02 AM
If my cat would have a good chance of living a healthy happy life after treatment I would do anything!

But....I really don't think any amount of money can express how much someone loves their pet. It's not really fair to people with very limited resources to say 'you don't really care about your animals because you can't pay for treatment'.

We should all consider ourselves lucky to know that we will allways find a way through credit cards or friends and family helping out, it's not like that in some other parts of the world!

Ann
09-10-2002, 05:00 AM
C for me too. While I really don't have any money, I would get them any way I had to if my family's (pet or human) life depended on it. I'd borrow money, I'd rob a bank... Whatever it would take.

Former User
09-10-2002, 05:03 AM
My answer is D, it depends. As I don't have work, I can't decide that now we use all the money for this and that. I'd love to answer C, but I can't really go on and spend money I don't have and never will have :(

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-10-2002, 06:35 AM
Depending on the quality of life, my answer would be C.

C.C.'s Mom
09-10-2002, 10:19 AM
Definately C.

We know that there are huge bills coming our way with Eddy, and we have a special saving account for the pets where we put some money in every month. Just in case, so that we have a certain amount ready without worrying too much.

But I agree with Piglet and Niina too. When I was a student and my cats were sick and needed treatment, I always struggled to pay the vet bills. And credit cards aren't even accepted here at the vet.

Albea
09-10-2002, 10:43 AM
It's C for me too.
I don't say this as a possibility in the future but as something I've done already. When my second Golden, Irina, got sick, and she was sick from November'92 to June'93, I did everything that could possibly be done for her at the cost of several thousand dollars, and I didn't have pet insurance at the time.
I would cut back on any other expenses if that would help my dogs. But, on the other hand, I would not keep them with me if I knew they were suffering.
It's also true that some people, no matter how much they love their pets, just can't afford those vet's bills. I have seen and heard many heartbreaking stories about that. :(

Logan
09-10-2002, 10:48 AM
When I realized how much I spent to give my precious Kaycee a chance at a good, comfortable life, I was astounded, but I have to tell you that every dime was worth it. Thank goodness it was over an 11 month period, so it didn't hit me all at once, but when it was over, it added up to thousands of dollars. And I know that there are many who simply can't afford expensive surgeries and emergency treatments. I feel so badly for those people when I read their stories. Thank goodness there are wonderful organizations who use donations from people to help those folks who want to do right, but just can't afford it. Just wish there was an endless supply of $$$$ for everyone.

I vote C, too.

lynnestankard
09-10-2002, 11:11 AM
I have to vote C.
We do have insurance on all three cats - but other cats in the past have cost us serious ££££££.
With our RB - Kisi, the insurance covered all the medical except the first £80 - but when we had to have her put to sleep - we had to pay for that. Even if she wasn't insured I'd have done exactly the same - and paid for it all.

Lynne

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-10-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
C
I knwo this isn't alot but every week 8 doallrs gets put into a bank acount of mine. (my dad ptus it in there). The money will not be spent unless one of the pets needs it for a bill. I started it in the middle of last year, when I found out I would be getting a dog. I odn't have alot in there but it is some money :D .

Ash

ps: This isn't alot of money but we payed 30 dollars for a vet apointment for hope. Which to my mom is just a 5 dollar rat. :rolleyes:

This is a great idea, and I'm glad you're parents are doing this. They are really saying that it's your pet, you are responsible for it. I'm sure they would help out if costs were more than what was in your account, but it seems they are teaching you how to be a responsible pet owner instead of just taking care of everything themselves.

Oh, and I actually got to put my words into action when I took Tubby to the vet the other day. All they did was a blood test and he got a distemper shot, and the bill came to $190.00!!!!:eek: :eek: After I looked at the bill, it turns out they didn't even charge me for an office visit, which is normally another $35.00. But now I know he's ok, so it was worth it. :)

ellensy
09-10-2002, 11:35 AM
I go for C ......:cool: i'll do anything for my doggies. ;)

wolf_Q
09-10-2002, 12:59 PM
Before I got Chewy I asked my parents if they would pay a vet bill if chewy got hit by a car had 2 fractured rids a broken leg and a hospital stay for 4 days all adding up to 4 thousand doallrs (I dunno if thats right but you get the idea) they said they would. I didn't want to get a dog if my paretns were not going to be willing to pay the vet bill if something went wrong.

The exact opposite with me. My parents said I have to pay all of the vet bills. I've probably spent over $150 already....he was sick once, had an eye infection, then all of the regular shots he needed.... I'm going to be getting him neutered very soon too. Luckily, we have a program where you can apply for discount/spay neuter coupons. I applied and I was able to get get a $20 off one for Nebo and Milo (Melissa's cat). Phew! Right now, if there was something seriously wrong with Nebo, I would be seriously screwed. I don't have enough money (literally!) to pay for a very high vet bill. :( My dad always calls him his adopted red-headed grandchild though...lol...so maybe they love him enough now they would help me. If not, I don't know what I would do...but I would do whatever was humanly possible...

lovemymaltese
09-10-2002, 01:31 PM
I would do anything and have. Tango had cancer this summer, costs me $300.00 for tests, and surgery. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I would take out loans if I had to.

NoahsMommy
09-10-2002, 03:31 PM
My answer is "C"...there isn't anything I wouldn't do for them, they count on us for their health, happiness and survival.

Sudilar
09-10-2002, 04:07 PM
My answer is C.

For Killian, it is presently over 5000 since we adopted him in 1996.

As it was also over 1000's for both my precious Bridgepups, Wolf and Avalanche.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-10-2002, 04:09 PM
you guys are some serious pet owners. its so good to see such wonderful people out there that care!
~me:p

trisha0503
09-10-2002, 09:34 PM
My answer is also C...

I'll do anything for Missy... Can't imagine my life without her...

krazyaboutkatz
09-11-2002, 12:07 AM
My answer is also C. I'd do anything possible for my cats. Last year when Pepper was very sick I spent a few thousand on him and it was worth it. Now I see how happy and healthy he is each day and I don't even think about the money.

kohala
09-11-2002, 01:24 AM
Something I don't have, but plan to get soon as she is getting older. I guess I would say "C", funds allowing, but I also have to be realistic like Niina, if it were to be a very high bill. I have put out some serious change inthe past for Grasshopper, but fortunately she is a healthy 16 year old. Knock on wood.

catland
09-11-2002, 06:55 PM
1. Obviously on the quality of life. I once opted to have my cat put to sleep rather than have her go through exploratory surgery when she was very sick. I didn't think she had much of a chance of pulling through and I didn't want her to suffer. (and I cried for a week afterwards)

2. On my current financial situation. Right now both my husband and I are employed (which is a very nifty thing to be here in Oregon), and would be able to absorb the expense.

3. I dearly love and adore my cats, but my parents are getting on in years, and I would take care of them first before my cats.

So, like I said at the beginning, it depends. You sometimes don't know until it happens.