PDA

View Full Version : Ash update....

carole
09-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Just thought i would stop by and tell you how old Ashey boy is doing.

Since his diagnosis of CRF two months ago,things have been very up and down for my ole fella, he has lost a dramatic amount of weight ,he is a shadow of his former self, getting him to eat is a real mission and takes time and effort, well worth it i might add, i think we have tried almost every cat food available almost, one day he will love one particular food , the next day he does not even want to know about it, some days he eats well, others hardly at all, enough to feed a mouse really.

I realise this is all part of his condition but it saddens me and fustrates me and upsets me to see him like this.

He was a large rather chubby old fella before, and he weighed in at 6.7kgs which was a tad overweight, he came down to 5.2,which was the weigh in at the vets for the dental, and now he is my lightest cat weighing in at 4.4, i can hardly believe he weighs so little, he is a bag of bones and so frail and fragile now compared to this large stature cat i used to have.

On the brighter side, i really believe his medication is helping him and keeping him going, he also hardly vomits these days, only occasionally, so even though he eats little he is keeping it down mostly,and since the dental he eats very slowly and chews his food properly, he used to scoff it down so quickly and usually that resulted in him bringing it up again.

So all in all there is some improvement, but of course some decline which is to be expected, i don't know how long my old boy will be with us, but we are making the most of it,he has even become much more placid natured and cuddly compared to what he used to be.

He has developed more of a bond with my daughter Melissa, spending every night with her on her bed,she loves Ash very much and was the one who at eight years old found him and asked me if we could keep him,sad in some ways as she is going to be very upset when his time comes as we all are.

Melissa has said if we ever want to go away for a night she will pill Ash and make sure he eats, she say's no way is he ever going in a cattery, i thought that was quite sweet, although pilling him would be very difficult for her indeed.

Well guess who is upstairs at the moment visiting me, my old Ash, his ears must be burning lol.

Anyhow that is about it really, just keep those positive thoughts going for my dear boy please, would appreciate it very much, thanks again for listening to me prattle on.:)

p.s i must add the pilling is going well now, practice makes perfect, well almost, Ash seems more resigned to the fact,no matter what ,those awful owners of his are going to stick that pill down his throat, no matter what he trys,so all in all a much easier task, with less stress on kitty and us,phew thank goodness.

davidpizzica
09-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Carole, I'm so sorry to hear about Ash's condition. Here are alot of Pittsburgh prayers and thoughts and of course {{{{Hugs}}}} coming to you and good wishes to your family. I'm happy to hear that Melissa wants to take on the responsibily of pilling Ash. It shows that she's a grown up.

carole
09-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks my friend, got the old boy to eat reasonably well yesterday,but it sure is a battle , i am sure many others can sympathize who have CRF kitties,yes Melissa is a pretty responsible young lady,she will only pill him if we decided to go away for night,but i am not planning that in the near future,and i know how difficult a task it is, takes two of us to do it,but the thought that she wants to take on his care is nice isn't it?:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks for this update on you & Ash!! What a lucky boy he is, having such caring & loving :love:humans:love: taking care of him!!

phesina
09-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry. Hugs to you and Melissa and gentle pets to Ash. And lots of prayers for you all. God bless you all.

moosmom
09-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Sounds like Ash is on her way to a full recovery. Hugs and kisses to you both.

:love::love:
Donna & Crew

carole
09-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Donna my friend, are you not getting enough sleep lately,lol Ash is a boy and sorry but there is no recovery with Chronic renal failure, my dear ole fella is dying, but i am doing the best to keep him alive and comfortable for as long as he has left.

He is not eating at all well today, bad day again,i am getting very concerned at his lack of appetite, his medication is supposed to improve that, but it does not seem to be doing much, he has good days where he will eat quite a lot, and others where he will eat barely anything at all,i have tried nearly every food on the market, one day he will love that particular food,the next he won't touch it.

Oh well i knew it was not going to be easy, but it is worrying watching him fade away like this,might ring the vet for some advice .

davidpizzica
09-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Oh, Carole. Pittsburgh prayers are continuing for Ash to be as comfortable as he can be for his time left. I did the same thing for Thai as old age set in on her. I made her very comfortable, but she got really feeble at the end and my heart broke when I felt she'll be happier at the Bridge. I pray that you won't have to make that decision for him soon. {{{{HUGS}}}} to Ash and Marigold has her paws crossed for him, too.

carole
09-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Thank you for your kind words of comfort my dear friend, i made a decision when he was diagnosed, that i would provide him with the best care and comfort to the end, and that meant affording his medication every month, which i knew would prolong his life and make him more comfortable, however i did decide then and there that i would not prolong his life to the point he was miserable or suffering.

So far he is not in the category in my opinion, there is still plenty of life and spark in the old boy yet, he still will run up the stairs and tree and play on the stairwell from time to time, it is just when he has a bad day of not eating i worry, but i also know that you have to take each day as it comes, and that tomorrow he might have picked up and be a much happier boy,he is just a bag of bones now, he used to be such a big strong large hefty boy, it is sad to see his decline, sure he needed to loose a few pounds in those days, but now he needs to gain some or at least maintain.

I am sure it is far from his time yet David, but yes when the time comes,it is going to be the hardest thing in the world for me to do, but i also know my Ash has had a wonderful life with us,and has brought us pleasure and joy in our lives, even if he is a mr grumpy puss, we still love him to bits.

Again thanks for your thoughts ,they mean a lot to me, especially when i am worrying about him,as i am right now.

DJFyrewolf36
09-25-2008, 07:45 PM
My thoughts are with Ash and you! *HUGS* and *Gentle Pets* from all of us.

carole
09-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Thank you all for your kind words, i got him to eat some chicken, part of my dinner for tonite, i know it is not that good for his kidneys though, but it was all he would take, he only ate like a dozen biscuits this morning and now a small amount of chicken, so you see that is not much ,at least he is still eating i guess, fingers and all paws crossed for a better day tomorrow.

He likes this tin of Dine tasty chicken casserole, i got to admit it smells good, we can only get it at one supermarket, so make a special trip to get it,however he usually likes it for one day , then goes off it, trouble is my Ellie-mae who is the only other kitty who eats wet food, gets his left overs and as result is becoming rather chubby..all my other kitties need to loose weight and poor Ash needs to put it on,just like my hubby and I lol,he can have my extra anyday.:)

carole
09-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Ok well the weekend was awful, Ash was totally miserable and hardly ate anything, we had a chicken from red rooster for dinner,which he usually loves, and yes he did eat a little, however by that time we had administered his new medication, gabe the vet has put him on anaplex, a anabolic steroid and vitamin D.

I am so happy to tell you there is some progress today, the medicine must have kicked in and he has been eating well today, two plates of biscuits and two small plates of chicken, and lots of water, he is still quite fussy about what he want to eat, and even the dine tasty casserole he has still been turning his nose up at.

He did however look kinda drugged up yesterday afternoon,kind spaced out,which i did not like, but just the fact he is eating better is such a blessing and i am so relieved, i thought his days were coming to an abrupt end, and i was having many sleepless nights just wondering what to do next for my ole fella,anyhow will keep you all posted on his progress, please just keep in your thoughts and prayers if you can, thanks.

phesina
09-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Ash is doing a little better if he's eating something! Seems like the meds are beginning to work.

Maybe he seemed drugged because he had just been drugged! I would think that effect would wear off as his system gets used to the meds. If it doesn't soon, you might consult the vet about it.

Best wishes and lots of prayers for Ash and your whole family,

Pat and kitties

carole
09-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Thank you Pat, yes of course it will take time for his system to adjust to the meds, honestly yesterday he ate like a horse, i was so relieved, today not so good, but still eating much better than before, i feel the meds are the right choice for him and i am happy with my decision., to medicate Ash, i made a promise to him and myself i would prolong his life and make it more comfortable to the end, but i would not put him through anything painful,or distressing to either of us.

I have time to prepare myself for what lies ahead, and i know when his time comes it will be very hard on me, but i also know we all have to come to the end of our life sometime, and his will be whenever it is to be, and i will have comfort in knowing i helped him as best i possibly could.

Anyhow on a more cheerier note,he is basking out in the sunshine,enjoying the warmth today,and through his recent illness Ash enjoys a bit more cuddles than he used to, he still gives me the odd hiss and growl, but to me it is now music to my ears, i know he is still fighting on.:)

phesina
09-30-2008, 04:18 PM
That sounds wonderful, that Ash is eating some and doing better, enjoying the sunshine and the cuddles but still being up for the odd hiss.

You sound very wise, to take each day as it comes and celebrate the love you and Ash share. Please keep us all posted. This is the kind of report I love to follow.

Hugs and purrs,
Pat and the kitties

carole
09-30-2008, 09:39 PM
well like i said Pat, have to take one day at a time, yesterday he ate a little and much the same today, he has only really had one day on the medication that he ate constantly,so i am not sure this is going to work, but i am going to give it a full month and then if there is not more improvement, discuss it with my vet,i guess he is eating somewhat better than he was.

Poor ole guy i look at the pic of him in my siggy of how he used to be, now he is so thin, i have to be very careful and gentle picking him up as he seems so fragile now,i feel like he might break,seriously though i cannot believe it is my once big healthy strong Ash,still i knew it was to be expected.

Thanks for your input, i appreciate the nice comments and encouragement, i am not giving up on that ole boy yet?plenty of life left in him yet i am hoping.

Catty1
09-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Medusa used sub q B vitamins on her Puddy, and they made quite a difference. Puddy did pass on, for reasons unrelated to her kidneys - but she was coming around wonderfully.

Dear Carole, I get the feeling that you think this will be a death sentence very soon for Ash. Each cat is different, I know...but many live for a number of good years.

If you don't mind, I am going to cross-post this to Cat Health. There are many PTrs who don't come to this General section. Perhaps you might get more encouragement from people there who have dealt with this.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Medusa
10-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Yes, Carole, talk to your vet about injecting a syringe of B vitamins right into the bag of fluids. That way Ash won't feel the sting of the needle. I should've thought of this myself but my brain apparently isn't functioning at full capacity yet. I posted on your other thread in Cat Health. CRF is not a death sentence. Puddy was diagnosed a long time ago, nearly 6 years ago, and was on subQ's for over 3 years. Yes, she finally passed over but she had many other health problems besides CRF. Don't sell Ash short; our kitties are much stronger than we realize. Those B vitamins really helped Puddy get her energy and her personality back. Talk to your vet about it. They're very inexpensive; my local vet told me so and gave them to me twice at no charge. Keep the faythe, Carole.

carole
10-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for your posts everyone, no two cases or cats are the same that is for sure Candace,oh i am very aware Ash can go on for some time yet, and especially with the two medications i am giving him, but he has gone down hill alot since his dental,but no i certainly did not mean to give you all the impression i had given up on him, not even close folks.,if i did sound despondent it was only because i was worried and on a bit of a downer,anyhow on re-reading my posts i did not think that, but again sorry if it seemed that way.

I must stress that my plan for Ash may well not be the same as Mary's or anyone else's,but just know he will be loved and taken well care of until the end, i have taken the advice my vet has given me, and i trust him 100 per cent, so for now i am doing everything he has suggested and am happy with that,on the brighter side Ash has done better today and is enjoying himself baking in the sun outside, his favourite pass time lol.

jazzcat
10-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Carole, Ripley is a CRF kitty and was diagnosed I think about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago but blood test showed the problem began as far back as 6 years ago. I've never had a problem with him not eating but of course like you said every case is different. He did have a problem with constant vomiting until my vet recommended I put him on Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. Since starting that last year in June he has gained a much needed pound and doesn't throw up much any more which is huge because he was a chronic barfer his whole life.

He doesn't have to take any special meds and we've started giving him sub-q fluids here at home monthly. Before that he only needed fluids about every 4-6 months. At 16 1/2 years I think he's doing pretty good but I know that can change at any moment.

I'm really sorry to hear that Ash hasn't been doing as well. Is it possible the meds might be causing the lack of appetite or are they suppose to help with that? I'm not sure what he is taking. Maybe the B vitamins in the fluids would give him a little extra pep. I take my Dad for a B12 injection once a month and I can see the difference it makes in him energy and appetite wise. Probably would work the same way for cats.

Please give him some extra hugs and scritchies for me.

Medusa
10-02-2008, 06:37 AM
he will be loved and taken well care of until the end

I'm sure that no one doubted that for a second. :)

carole
10-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Lori the meds are supposed to help with his appetite, and yes it has improved, he has not lost any more weight this week, so i am pleased, he was loosing like almost 100grms a week.

So far he is doing much better, he has not got an enormous appetite but it is much better thanks, as for throwing up, he used to throw up constantly,but since his dental, the medication, he only throws up maybe once twice a week, so although he is not eating as much, he is keeping it down better, also since the dental he takes ages to eat his food, so i assume he chews it well now, and that was part of the throwing up, scoffing it down,not chewing it or digesting it.

For me it is not about keeping Ash alive as long as possible, it is about keeping his life comfortable and having quality of life, that is my top priority, although giving him the meds, will prolong his life, they will also make him much more comfortable.

However having said that, i also am not keen to add any more medications to the two he is already having, unless gabe convinces me that is is absolutely necessary,i don't want him to be a zombie, again it is about quality of life for him,anyhow that is my stance on this.

jazzcat
10-02-2008, 02:55 PM
For me it is not about keeping Ash alive as long as possible, it is about keeping his life comfortable and having quality of life, that is my top priority, although giving him the meds, will prolong his life, they will also make him much more comfortable.

That is the way it should be.

There was a time last year before we switched Ripley's food that I thought the end was near because he was losing weight, throwing up and just seemed miserable. I took him to the vet for fluids and to discuss his condition thinking the worse but she suggested the Pro Plan and what a difference it has made. He's been doing so well. Maybe Ash just needs a little time to get his eating adjusted. I do understand how you feel though, I'm not going to put Ripley through a lot just to extend his life. I want quality for him, not quantity.

carole
10-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks for that Lori, i really feel you understand where i am coming from on this one, i may well try that food you suggested,trouble with Ash one day he will love a new food, the next day or even that afternoon he turns his nose up at it,i have so many opened tins and biscuits, it is lucky i have two other kitties who can eat it,although one is getting a tad fatter than she should be, eh ellie-Mae? lol.:)

Medusa
10-02-2008, 03:35 PM
trouble with Ash one day he will love a new food, the next day or even that afternoon he turns his nose up at it,i have so many opened tins and biscuits

Sounds like the Fur Posse. I'll say "I thought you liked this stuff!" and they'll look at me as if to say "That was then, this is now. We're cats! Hello!"

jazzcat
10-02-2008, 04:59 PM
If it helps, my gang all love Ripley's food so I feed some of them (the healthy weight ones) his food and the ones that need to watch their weight get Pro Plan Weight Management with a few pieces of Ripley's mixed in.

Now watch them revolt and stop eating it tonight just because I said this. I better go knock on wood.:eek:

Also, it has done wonders for their coats and seems to have reduced the dander.

carole
10-02-2008, 08:33 PM
I have seen it stocked here in the pet stores, so i know i can get it, i am seriously considering it, i am sure the other two girls will indeed like it anyhow, so worth a try, thanks Lori.:):)

carole
10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
I just had to tell you all i am so excited Ash has gained 100grms,this is only since his new medication, he was loosing about that per week and i was really concerned, i did the weigh in for all the kitties today, some of them need to go on a diet lol, but Ash is doing great, i thought he was looking better, so it was indeed a happy household here today.,just had to share, this is really good news, i would have been happy with maintenance but a gain, awesome.:):)

phesina
10-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Hooray!!!!! You Go, Ash!!!!!!

jazzcat
10-06-2008, 09:11 PM
That is awesome news Carole!!! Way to go Ash!. :D

Medusa
10-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Keep up the good work, Ash and Carole! :) You're doing great!

carole
10-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Yes another good day so far, eating quite well, he has taken a real liking to optimum ocean pilchards biscuits at the moment,he is usually a biscuits and wet food cat, but is eating mostly biscuits at the moment,so whatever he likes he is getting within reason,seems quite perky at the moment and his coat is looking good, i guess it is the drugs helping him along, but still i am a much happier meowmie at the moment seeing these results.:)

davidpizzica
10-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Yes another good day so far, eating quite well, he has taken a real liking to optimum ocean pilchards biscuits at the moment,he is usually a biscuits and wet food cat, but is eating mostly biscuits at the moment,so whatever he likes he is getting within reason,seems quite perky at the moment and his coat is looking good, i guess it is the drugs helping him along, but still i am a much happier meowmie at the moment seeing these results.:)

Carole, it's really good to hear that Ash has some of his appetite back. It's also good to hear how relieved you are at his progress. Continual prayers for Ash and {{{hugs{{{ to his meowmie!

carole
10-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks so much my dear friend, yes David it is so heartbreaking when you see them wasting away and miserable,which is what he was, he now looks really perky, and his coat is lovely, i am sure it is the steriods, i would much rather he did not need medication, but seeing the results i know i have made the right decision for him,he ate readily again this morning,another happy day,yahoo.:)