PDA

View Full Version : laptop battery life?

Freedom
09-22-2008, 05:33 PM
How long should a laptop battery last?

I've had this laptop since June 2006.

I am in process of ordering a new adaptor, as I have broken the wire and the darn thing barely stays connected. Due to this, it can't keep the battery charged. So I am NOT ordering a battery until I get the new adapter in.

Just wondering if I should be prepared to replace the battery as well? 99% of the time I run this plugged in, not battery only.
Thanks!

Hellow
09-22-2008, 07:25 PM
How long should a laptop battery last?

I've had this laptop since June 2006.

I am in process of ordering a new adaptor, as I have broken the wire and the darn thing barely stays connected. Due to this, it can't keep the battery charged. So I am NOT ordering a battery until I get the new adapter in.

Just wondering if I should be prepared to replace the battery as well? 99% of the time I run this plugged in, not battery only.
Thanks!

It deeply depends on the specifications of the laptop, like a iBook, which is pretty low end, could last 4 or more hours on a charge. A Alienware gaming laptop/luggable would last probably 1-2 hours on a charge. It also depends on what kind of battery it is, and if you have used it alot or discharged it. Even though Lithium Ion batteries dont suffer from the "Memory Effect" that plauged older laptops, it is still wise to cycle them.

Freedom
09-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Oh er, I didn't explain my question properly. I didn't mean how long it will hold a charge (4 hours). I meant do I expect to need a new battery after 2 years? Or after 6 years? I have no idea. Does that help?

Hellow
09-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Oh er, I didn't explain my question properly. I didn't mean how long it will hold a charge (4 hours). I meant do I expect to need a new battery after 2 years? Or after 6 years? I have no idea. Does that help?

Well, if you google around and follow some tips you find, then you can expect your battery to last a while. Lithium Ion batteries are alot better than all the older versions combined.

Freedom
09-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Oh good, thank you Reggie!

I will just plan on spending money on the new adapter. That is a BIG help to know I probably won't need to be getting a new battery just yet.