PDA

View Full Version : Netflix?

Sevaede
09-22-2008, 12:43 PM
'Allo, 'allo! :D I was curious if anyone else had a Netflix subscription? Which version? I currently have the one at a time, unlimited, plan and am pretty unsatisfied with it.

The way that it works is they pluck a movie from your queue and send it out (day 1), you receive it the next day (day 2, usually), you watch it and if you're lucky enough to catch the mail and send it out the same day (day 3), day 4 is the day they are supposed to receive. It has been nearly a WEEK and they are JUST now sending stuff out again. Sometimes they will send the notifications, other times not. I pay ten dollars per month for this service (started out as a free trial, then I just sort of kept it) and if I am only getting two movies per month I might as well just walk over to the video store (which I still end up doing). Mind you, everything has always been in the EXACT same condition as it arrived in and everything was sent in a timely manner.

I am contemplating either *upgrading* to the two movies at a time so at least I will have something to watch in the mean time. However, I am not sure if I would have to return BOTH of those before they would send another one out again. I could just deal with it as is, as well. My other option would be to just cancel.

This is not a super important issue and I am not super worked up over it or anything. I just don't have the dollars to *waste* on something that is unsatisfactory.

kuhio98
09-22-2008, 01:01 PM
I signed up with Blockbuster instead. I get 1 movie at a time. Up to 2 a month. We live in Alaska, so we never get it overnight. BUT, instead of mailing it back, you can drop it off at a Blockbuster store and get 1 FREE movie.

So, for $10, we get 2 movies mailed to us, and 2 free ones from the store.

It took me a while to figure out that even though I get 1 movie at a time -- I only get 2 a month. So, if you've received 2 already that month, you'll wait a week or 2 before they mail the next one out to you.

If you have Blockbuster in your area, it might be worth switching.

Sirrahsim
09-22-2008, 01:15 PM
We have Netflix at the 3 at a time price. As soon as they receive one back, they will automatically send the next one on your list. We like to try to send one back every 3 or 4 days so that we keep getting new movies every few days. On the two occasions that we got movies that we could not play for whatever reason they were very nice about it and were prompt at sending us another copy (free of charge, of course).

My only minor complaint is that it takes a few days longer than they advertise to get your movies, but if you get a good rhythm going with turning them in seperately you should always have a movie or two to watch.

Ginger's Mom
09-22-2008, 01:53 PM
I have Netflix two movies a month for $4.99. I LOVE it. It usually takes me at least a week to find the time to watch the movie, then another week to decide if I am going to watch it a second time or just send it back (usually don't have time to watch it a second time). The day after I put it in the mailbox they send me an e-mail saying they received it and are sending out the next movie in my queue. I haven't seen this many movies in years. I am so glad my neighbor suggested that I sign up for this.

Taz_Zoee
09-22-2008, 03:10 PM
We had the two movies at at time, I can't remember how many a month though. It was fine, the service was fine. We stopped it because we just weren't watching the movies anymore. So it was becoming a waste of money for us.

kitten645
09-22-2008, 03:10 PM
I love Netflix! Wish I'd bought stock in the company when they started! Brilliant concept and exceptional customer service. I live in Northern California where the company is based so I get my movies pretty quickly. I'm on the two at a time plan. I'm considering going to three but I'm not sure I have the time. I think I pay $10 a month. I figure if I time it right I can see eight movies a month. I also LOVE their unlimited online viewing. I've been watching the whole Leave it To Beaver series :rolleyes: You might want to look into it to fill in the void between movies.
Claudia

K9karen
09-22-2008, 10:47 PM
So far, I have Netflix 1 movie at a time. I think they're great. Twice, they never received the movie I mailed back (from a post office!) and they didn't charge me or anything. Due to my schedule, I don't mind waiting 2 or 3 days for the turnaround time.

Uabassoon
09-23-2008, 12:12 AM
I love netflix! I have the three at a time, but once I'm done watching all the episodes of battlestar galatica I might drop down to two at a time. I get a quick turnaround, but they do have a center here in Tucson. I mailed a movie back today which means I will get a movie in on Wed. I get usually get around 3 movies a week, sometimes even more than that if I have a dvd marathon on one of my days off.

Gracefulsarah
09-23-2008, 11:00 AM
We have the 1-at-a-time version as well. We seem to get about 1 movie a week. We've been on it about 6 months, and my only complaint is that one time the post office messed up and we never got the movie they sent to us. In fact, we got the e-mail saying they were sending the movie out, then I think 4 or 5 days later, we got an e-mail saying they had received that movie back and were sending out the next one. We decided it wasn't worth the effort to complain, so I just put it in our queue again.

*LabLoverKEB*
09-23-2008, 11:47 AM
My mom keeps saying that we WILL sign up for Netflix, but it never happens with her busy schedule...:( I've heard great things about Netflix, I'd love to do it!

jazzcat
09-23-2008, 01:38 PM
We got six months of the one at a time for a Christmas gift last year. We would get a movie for every weekend and that worked great for us. We upgraded to two at a time for a month but it was more than we needed. Right now we've put our membership on hold because we are usually busy in the summer and fall but we'll probably start it back up for winter.

smokey the elder
09-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Netflix is annoying because their ads seem to be able to beat my pop-up blocker. There's even one at the top of this page. *grump, grump*

Suki Wingy
09-23-2008, 01:53 PM
At home my mom and stepdad have Blockbuster online, and we all love it. It's pretty quick and you can go to the store and exchange one you got in the mail for a dvd from the store if you want something right away. We did the 3 at a time.

Denyce
09-23-2008, 03:25 PM
We have the Blockbuster 3 at a time program. We can also exchange up to 5 movies a month at the store all for less than 20 a month. I would say we usually get an average of 10-12 movies a month. I love it! I also love watching movies and I can watch series I might have missed. Between that and my Comcast On Demand I never whine there is nothing to watch.

sumbirdy
09-26-2008, 11:44 PM
My parents have the 2 at a time plan. They love it. They have a rotation going where they always have a movie to watch and as soon as they send one out the next one comes in.

K9soul
09-27-2008, 09:28 AM
I have Netflix and it works very well for me. I have never had a problem. I don't watch movies except for perhaps one on the weekend so I just have a 1-at-a-time plan. When I'm done I mail it in and the next day the receive it and mail the next out, which I receive the day after that. Considering it would be at least a 40-minute round trip to drive somewhere to rent one and then another to return it, it works out well for me. I've seen more movies since I joined than I have in a couple years. They have various plans available to meet the demands of people's movie-watching habits. I personally think if you're the type who needs a movie every night, the $10 plan is not the right plan for you. And really I wouldn't think a person could expect 30 or so movies a month and expect to only pay $10. Just my opinion.

Sevaede
09-27-2008, 02:18 PM
I signed up with Blockbuster instead. I get 1 movie at a time. Up to 2 a month. We live in Alaska, so we never get it overnight. BUT, instead of mailing it back, you can drop it off at a Blockbuster store and get 1 FREE movie.

So, for $10, we get 2 movies mailed to us, and 2 free ones from the store.

It took me a while to figure out that even though I get 1 movie at a time -- I only get 2 a month. So, if you've received 2 already that month, you'll wait a week or 2 before they mail the next one out to you.

If you have Blockbuster in your area, it might be worth switching.

I, also, had a trial with Blockbuster. Like the service a lot. :) I've considered switching and may just do that. :) All in all, Netflix isn't a bad service. I just wished it was a tad more frequent.

Sevaede
09-27-2008, 02:36 PM
I have Netflix and it works very well for me. I have never had a problem. I don't watch movies except for perhaps one on the weekend so I just have a 1-at-a-time plan. When I'm done I mail it in and the next day the receive it and mail the next out, which I receive the day after that. Considering it would be at least a 40-minute round trip to drive somewhere to rent one and then another to return it, it works out well for me. I've seen more movies since I joined than I have in a couple years. They have various plans available to meet the demands of people's movie-watching habits. I personally think if you're the type who needs a movie every night, the $10 plan is not the right plan for you. And really I wouldn't think a person could expect 30 or so movies a month and expect to only pay $10. Just my opinion.

I don't expect a movie every day of the week. Being an unemployed, but actively seeking work, college student, I do like to watch movies in my down time. Money is, also, a precious commodity. I just don't feel that it's a great convenience if I pay more to go through them and get three movies over the course of one month. I could just walk over to Blockbuster and get a better deal. ;):p

Sevaede
09-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. :) I appreciate it. :)

I agree, Netflix isn't that bad of a service. I just wish it was a little more frequent, you know? I don't usually have money to splurge and Netflix is definitely mine. I just hoped to get a little more "bang for my buck" as it were. :p

K9soul
09-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Wenis, I hope it didn't seem like I was speaking to you specifically (realize it might have seemed that way), I was just speaking in general. Sounds like Blockbuster might be more convenient for you since you live close to one.

Catlady711
09-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Why not check movies out from the local library? They're free, and usually have a time limit of a whole two weeks before it has to be returned. Our library usually limits movies checked out to 4 at a time, I'm sure each library varies.