PDA

View Full Version : Border Collies?

SheltieLover234
02-01-2001, 05:00 PM
I am a current owner of a beautiful 6 month old Border Collie.But I dont know that much about the breed if you know anything about them ,or owned one could you please tell me a little about them???

Angels3
02-01-2001, 07:39 PM
Border collies are one of the most popular breeds of dogs in my country. The Border Collie Club have provided great information on the breed as part of their rescue page.
Go to http://ozdogrescue.go.to/
From Menu at left, click on Dogs Needing Adoption. When the page comes up, scroll down to Border Collie (click to go to page). So click on that. Up will come the detailed information on the breed prepared by the Border Collie club.

kiska171
02-04-2001, 12:10 PM
I had a beautiful border collie named mickey. He was really cute but really bad behaved. but we had to get rid of him cuz when my parents got divorced we couldn't keep him (he was the first male dog i have ever owned) I was sad http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif But now i got My Favorite dog kiska http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif She is so sweet and i love her very much and she talks to me http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

carrie
02-04-2001, 04:39 PM
I have to confess that I haven't looked at the link given earlier - but I will!!

Border Collies were recognised as a breed in this country around the middle of the 18th centuary. It came from the Border country between Scotland and England, prime sheep country. The breed had been around for a lot longer than that. They were bred for their intelligience, fast actions, herding instinct, endurance, and willingness to learn. The dogs true to the breed are constantly ready to go, always open to training if the handler is the right one and impossible to tire! Just when you think they can take no more, ask them to do something else and they can!
We tried them as Guide dogs but found them too fast for most owners, even crosses. They are also liable to sound shyness under any sress.
The true dog is an uncomfortable house mate unless his mental and physical needs are catered for. A bored collie will be a destructive collie. Either to himself or, more commonly, his environment. This is not a breed to take on lightly.
The UK kennel club was petitioned some years ago to seperate the breed into two, or preferably three, classes: the working collie, the show collie and the pet colie.
This shows the variation within the breed, but nearly all are extreme in their need for mental and physical stimulation, at the same time if possible. The mental stimulation is the part that most owners struggle with. This is a loyal, clever dog that will be your best friend if you treat it properly. That is not to say that you can't work and have collies - you just have to put them before everything else when you get home! Obedience was made for these dogs as was agility and flyball and, if you work, these activities could save your sanity!
Border Collies should be bred to be fairly dominant - they won't handle sheep if they're not- so you need to be a pretty savvy owner to give the dog a life that is equal to it's abilities.
Not for everyone, but if you have the time and energy to teach you have a sponge as a pupil!

I Love My Aussie
02-04-2001, 06:09 PM
I good site on border collies is www.tailsawaggin.com (http://www.tailsawaggin.com)

Go Aussies!

My friend has two BCs and they are very sweet and know the whole "Way to me, come by, etc., etc." routine

good luck bye

------------------
*Get a Grip Get an Aussie*

learlaw
02-21-2001, 10:10 AM
I have a border collie mix, but she is all border collie in her personality. She is very high energy, but calming down a bit as she has left puppyhood. When I take her to the dog park, she herds the other dogs. She also herds my two cats, which they don't really for. She is a bit clumsy but gentle. We have Jessie stay in a crate when we go to sleep and she loves it. She puts herself to bed when we go to bed. We also put her in the crate when we are at work because it stops her from having garbage parties in the house. We are certain not leave her in for too long. She was very easy to potty train, she was done at 3 months. (However, when we went on vacation, she decided to tell us he did not like that and pooped in the house.) She is very smart and will do any trick you teach her for a cookie. Extremely agile, she static jumps about 5 feet in the air and is great at playing catch. She loves people and kids and most dogs. Since she is a herding breed, I don't have to worry about her running away. She stays close and is a great hiking companion. I could go on forever, but I hope this gives you some idea.

ownerof3dogs
02-22-2001, 06:05 PM
Hey Learlaw
I have a border collie/ Rotty mix his name is zeus. He is really active too and really smart. He can clear six feet easily and make it over An eight foot fence.It must be a Border collie trate to jump! If you what to see a picture of him look under Dog general "My Babies"

Mimi
03-18-2001, 10:47 AM
We have 10 border collies, both show dogs and rescue. We have never owned any other breed, nor would we want to {no disrespect to lovers of other breeds} The border collie makes a loyal and intelligent companion, but you must remember, they need something to do. Physical exercise is not enough. The high intelligence of this breed means they need mental as well as physical stimulation. they become easily bored, and are not a breed to be left alone, for hours on end. We are very proud of the achievments of our dogs. Duke is a P.A.T dog, {pets as therapy} and visits sick & infirm people. Jazz is one of our show dogs, and has qualified for Crufts for life, as has Ellie. Our latest 'baby' Beau, has just started his show career, and is showing great promise. If you have or are thinking about getting a BC, good luck, you will have a friend who will dedicate his or her life to loving you.