PDA

View Full Version : A question for students! :)

Sevaede
09-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I am beginning college a week from tomorrow!! :eek:

I *NEED* a backpack of some sort. I was curious where all of you students got yours? :D My schools bookstore wants about $50 for a BASIC backpack. :eek: I have done some web searching and such but have not been able to turn up anything that I like.

I have to carry four large textbooks (including a $200 French book!! :eek:), a math packet, photography packet (including seven rolls of film, a magnifier, and some other things) and an English to French grammar book. Not to mention the a syllabus for each class (there are four), binders, paper, etc etc etc! I will also probably have to carry my manual camera and lenses with me but I have a special case for that.

I would like a backpack or messenger bag. It needs to be durable, highly preferable for it to be waterproof, and something that won't kill my shoulders and back. Also, I would like for it to be customized or just to have some nice little design that sort of represents me, maybe? (It would also be handy to identify if I ever lost it! :D). I am not very concerned with the style of bag (regarding the flap and pockets, etc.).

So my question is where do you students go for your bags and such?:D

Cinder & Smoke
09-21-2008, 01:05 PM
I *NEED* a backpack of some sort.
I have to carry ... (a LOT)!

:eek:

Good GRIEF!
You don't need a backpack - you need a Moving Van!

:p

Suki Wingy
09-21-2008, 01:23 PM
You'll probably find out that you don't need to bring your textbooks to every class, but even still, I like to have a backpack with two compartments. One main one and a smaller pocket on the front for my ipod, headphones, wallet, etc.

Moesha
09-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Have you tried LLBean or LandsEnd? I saw some reports before school started where they tested different school supplies and their backbacks scored very well. They are pricey though. But to carry around the things that you mentioned, you'll need to pay for a durable one. They have them online if you want to browse through the different designs.

ETA: It looks like it must be LLBean. Go to their website and click on the luggage link to get the options for campus supplies.

Lady's Human
09-21-2008, 01:33 PM
US Cavalry, or any mil surplus dealer, look for a medium sized ruck.

Casper
09-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Definitely a backpack.

I have been using Dakine backpacks for years. They are extremely durable and one of the most comfortable backpacks I have owned. My friends claim that my backpack is invincible. ;D I went with Dakine because of the sole purpose of them having packs made to carry boards, which is a necessity for me. Most of their packs might be far too much than what you would need, but if I am not mistaken they have basic models that would be great for school.

Messenger bags put too much pressure on one shoulder instead of evening out the weight on both shoulders. A lot of people I know have ended up with neck problems when hauling around heavy things in a messenger. Just a thought to consider. :-)

Good luck!

Edit/ Forgot to add that most models have fleece-lined pockets made especially for cameras. That might come in handy with some of your photography stuff.

Sevaede
09-21-2008, 03:17 PM
:eek:

Good GRIEF!
You don't need a backpack - you need a Moving Van!

:p

lol! That's about right! :D They are HEAVY! (Especially that *bleepbleep* french book)

Sevaede
09-21-2008, 03:20 PM
You'll probably find out that you don't need to bring your textbooks to every class, but even still, I like to have a backpack with two compartments. One main one and a smaller pocket on the front for my ipod, headphones, wallet, etc.

Indeed, I probably won't even have to bring them on the first day. I suspect it will probably just be like a "get to know you" sort of day. Indeed, the extra pockets would be handy! :D

Sevaede
09-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Have you tried LLBean or LandsEnd? I saw some reports before school started where they tested different school supplies and their backbacks scored very well. They are pricey though. But to carry around the things that you mentioned, you'll need to pay for a durable one. They have them online if you want to browse through the different designs.

ETA: It looks like it must be LLBean. Go to their website and click on the luggage link to get the options for campus supplies.

Awesome! I am checking them out right now (different tab :o). :D I think that I will probably end up paying a higher price just so I don't have to sacrifice quality. :D

Sevaede
09-21-2008, 03:33 PM
US Cavalry, or any mil surplus dealer, look for a medium sized ruck.

Wow! Those are some pretty nifty bags! Definitely something to consider! :D (Yes, I am also looking in a different tab for this site as well! :o)

Sevaede
09-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Definitely a backpack.

I have been using Dakine backpacks for years. They are extremely durable and one of the most comfortable backpacks I have owned. My friends claim that my backpack is invincible. ;D I went with Dakine because of the sole purpose of them having packs made to carry boards, which is a necessity for me. Most of their packs might be far too much than what you would need, but if I am not mistaken they have basic models that would be great for school.

Messenger bags put too much pressure on one shoulder instead of evening out the weight on both shoulders. A lot of people I know have ended up with neck problems when hauling around heavy things in a messenger. Just a thought to consider. :-)

Good luck!

Edit/ Forgot to add that most models have fleece-lined pockets made especially for cameras. That might come in handy with some of your photography stuff.

Invincible, eh? :D Is there a particular bag that you would recommend? It makes sense, about the messenger bags, I mostly just like the way they look, heh. :o The fleece pockets would be SUPER handy for my cameras and gear. :D

kitten645
09-21-2008, 03:52 PM
:eek:Have you considered a donkey?? :D That's alot of stuff to lug around. I'd bet a backpack. Better weight distribution for your back. I get mine at a thrift store near me.

Lady's Human
09-21-2008, 04:23 PM
The reason I mentioned the ruck is simple......troops carry around a lot of weight, and they are specifically designed for use over long periods of time. I'd rather have my back intact than make a fashion statement, though some of the newer rucks don't look bad, either.

finn's mom
09-21-2008, 04:26 PM
I prefer the messenger type bags. The shape of them usually seems more conducive to carrying books. That's what I take to school. I'm only taking two classes right now, so I only carry one book and the chapters I need for the other (it's not a typical book, it's loose leaf and you put it in a binder).

In your case, I'd carry a backpack with part of the books and a shoulder type bag for the others. I'd hate to try and put that much in any single bag.

Sevaede
09-21-2008, 07:06 PM
:eek:Have you considered a donkey?? :D That's alot of stuff to lug around. I'd bet a backpack. Better weight distribution for your back. I get mine at a thrift store near me.

A donkey! There's an idea! :D I am not sure how much the faculty would enjoy it. :p:o

Sevaede
09-21-2008, 07:14 PM
The reason I mentioned the ruck is simple......troops carry around a lot of weight, and they are specifically designed for use over long periods of time. I'd rather have my back intact than make a fashion statement, though some of the newer rucks don't look bad, either.

Indeed, I'd much rather have my backpack as well. And that bag you mentioned does look very durable and very functional. :) That way, I wouldn't have to buy several over the course of my college days. :D The only reason I mentioned the looks thing is (not for a fashion statement) but I don't get to treat myself to anything really nice. I just was hoping that maybe (although it doesn't have to be, it's not a requirement or anything) that I could get something with a nice little design or something. :D

Sevaede
09-21-2008, 07:24 PM
I prefer the messenger type bags. The shape of them usually seems more conducive to carrying books. That's what I take to school. I'm only taking two classes right now, so I only carry one book and the chapters I need for the other (it's not a typical book, it's loose leaf and you put it in a binder).

In your case, I'd carry a backpack with part of the books and a shoulder type bag for the others. I'd hate to try and put that much in any single bag.

That seems like a good idea. :) Because I have four classes and they are all on the same days it would probably be wise to carry a backpack. (My camera and stuffs can be carried in their case. :D)

sirrahved
09-21-2008, 07:52 PM
I still have two backpacks that I got at old navy when I was in high school. They got me through high school, college, sleepovers, hiking trips... they are so durable!

Karen
09-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Indeed, I'd much rather have my backpack as well. And that bag you mentioned does look very durable and very functional. :) That way, I wouldn't have to buy several over the course of my college days. :D The only reason I mentioned the looks thing is (not for a fashion statement) but I don't get to treat myself to anything really nice. I just was hoping that maybe (although it doesn't have to be, it's not a requirement or anything) that I could get something with a nice little design or something. :D

That's easy to solve - get a good rucksack, and a couple of fabric markers! Instant personalization! :)

Suki Wingy
09-21-2008, 11:36 PM
I got my backpack three years ago at TJ Maxx for about $10, and I love the design on it. I still use it now for college.
Here's the only picture I have of it right now. (the last picture)
http://irridescent.deviantart.com/art/A-Photo-Meme-82111226