PDA

View Full Version : Feedback badly needed for my fur nephew Osiris *He went to the Bridge*

Medusa
09-21-2008, 12:53 PM
If you'll recall, a friend recently adopted a Himalayan and a Maine Coon. Isis, the Himalayan recently renamed Osiris, is in an emergency clinic right now. My friend was out of town when she received a call from her son saying that Osiris was under the bed and wouldn't come out and he had been vomiting. They took him to the emergency clinic because these things always seem to happen on a weekend. After running $700 worth of tests, the clinic vet said that Osiris' BUN and creatinine levels are normal, liver function normal but his glucose is 19 and should be around 90. They have him wrapped in a warm blanket because he was so cold and he's on antibiotics. The vet said that he's stumped as to what could be wrong w/Osiris. He asked if possibly he could have ingested something he shouldn't have and the boys said "not to my knowledge". (They're both in college, so they're not younguns who were responsible for the cat's care.) The vet also said that sometimes Himalayans have a hypoglycemic episode and never have another one. Have any of you experienced this w/any of your cats, Himalyan or otherwise? I sure haven't and I was of no help to my friend other than offering to start this thread to see what I could come up with. She's on her way home from the clinic now and she's going to research it online but, in the meantime, if you have had any experience w/this, please reply. And, as always, prayers would be greatly appreciated.

pomtzu
09-21-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm surprised that the cat was even concious with that glucose level. Has he ever been tested for diabetis? I had 2 dogs and a cat that were diabetic and occassionally they would crash really low and I would have to give Kayro Syrup to bring the sugar back up. I could tell when they crashed since they would get confused and lethargic - and cold. Don't know if this helps any, but I do relate to the symptoms.

critters
09-21-2008, 02:09 PM
He's not blocked, right?

That's bizarre, unless he got into something. Even an untreated diabetic should be high, not low.

Medusa
09-22-2008, 08:32 AM
I received an email from my friend saying that the emergency clinic vet did CPR on Osiris but he just couldn't bring him around. The vet says he still doesn't know for sure what took him but he thinks it could be feline leukemia. Shouldn't they be able to tell through bloodwork, etc? I've only experienced feline leuk once w/a rescue that I took in to a vet because it was clear that he had been badly injured, probably in a cat fight. After the vet tested him, I had him PTS. Now my friend has to worry about Malaya, her other kitten that she got at the same time as Osiris.

pomtzu
09-22-2008, 09:56 AM
One would think the blood work would tell if it's leukemia, but I'm no doctor. Poor Osiris - gone so quickly. RIP dear Osiris kitty - have fun at the Bridge. :love:

Emeraldgreen
09-22-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm so sorry that Osiris didn't make it. :( I hope that Malaya does not have the same thing. Prayers for Malaya and her good health.

katslady
09-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Bless poor Osiris and his mommy. I don't think the bloodwork would pick-up Felv inless it was testing for it.I hope it wasn't Felv and Malaya will be fine. katslady

kittykatharine
09-22-2008, 09:14 PM
I feel so badly for both Osiris and her mommy. These are definitely tough times for Osiris's family. At least Osiris is no longer hurting and in a better place. I would definitely think they should be able to do a blood test for Feline Leukemia, I mean if they can test the living, then there is no reason they can't test those who have recently passed. It is so hard when these things occur so suddenly. It shocks everyone and is very difficult.