PDA

View Full Version : Call 999? I am all ears!

RICHARD
09-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Woman calls 999 over rabbit's ears

Police say a woman dialled 999 to complain that the rabbit she had just bought did not have floppy ears.

The caller phoned the emergency number when she discovered the pet's ears did not live up to their description in a newspaper advert.

Other nuisance calls revealed by Central Scotland Police included two people who dialled 999 after being splashed by cars in wet weather.

Another caller asked for the postcode of Grangemouth police station, near Falkirk, reports The Sun.

The force condemned the calls as "unbelievable and frivolous" and said they were putting at risk the police's ability to respond to life-or-death emergencies.

In one of the calls, a man reported being soaked by a car driving through a puddle as he walked along a pavement.

Just moments before, a woman called making an identical claim. When she was told calling 999 for such incidents was inappropriate, she verbally abused the call handler.

Chief Inspector Alan Stewart said: "This should serve as a reminder that the 999 system is for real emergencies only, in such circumstances life can be at stake and as swift and efficient a response as possible is required to ensure public safety."
-----------------------

I am glad that some crazy people decided to leave California for other countries on the planet.;)

Pam
09-20-2008, 07:40 AM
A friend of mine had an elderly mother who was beginning to suffer from dementia. She and her brother were concerned about her living alone, especially after she found out that her mother had called 911 because the morning paper had not been delivered. :eek:

RICHARD
09-20-2008, 11:35 AM
A friend of mine had an elderly mother who was beginning to suffer from dementia. She and her brother were concerned about her living alone, especially after she found out that her mother had called 911 because the morning paper had not been delivered. :eek:

I wonder what kind of shenanigans I'll be up to when I get "the call"
Dementia runs in my family....:eek:

Karen
09-20-2008, 12:19 PM
As to the woman who called about the bunny's ears, I hope the operator told her if it was a juvenile lop, sometimes their ears don't flop down until they get a little older!

There should be a different number than 999 or 911 for elders who are calling ... some are just lonely, I think, and need someone to listen.