PDA

View Full Version : Do you have pet insurance?

turner
09-09-2002, 09:34 AM
I thought this would be a good poll. Don't know if this has been done yet.

Does anyone have pet insurance for their pets?

Albea
09-09-2002, 09:46 AM
Yes, from VPT of Brea, California.

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-09-2002, 10:24 AM
Yes, we have pet insurance for Draker. It's with Veterinary Pet Insurance (http://www.petinsurance.com)

wolf_Q
09-09-2002, 10:27 AM
Good thread...I've heard of it, but I don't know much about it.

Anyone know approximately how much it costs and how it works?

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-09-2002, 11:37 AM
Amy, Drake is now about 95 lbs. For a dog his size in the state of Georgia, I pay $27.00 a month for the Superior plan. In addition, I have the Vaccination and Routine Care Package. You can get the basic plan and no other coverage, for as little as $11.00 a month. Primiums are different depending on the area you live in and the breed of the dog.

There is a 5 step online quote generator. Click here (http://www.petinsurance.com/enrollmentcenter/enroll/default.cfm?session_id=040B03030C06040800010B01040 504) to check it out.

It has been great since Draker is a trouble maker and looks for things to get into :D He has gotten hurt several times and the bills have been pretty hefty! But this insurance helps a whole lot.

Uabassoon
09-09-2002, 12:00 PM
I've been thinking about getting insurance for my cats. My roommate has insurance, I've kind of been waiting around for her to use it so I can see how well the insurance is and how well the company works before I sign up for a plan. But since you seem pretty happy with it I may start looking into getting insurance again.

Cookiebaker
09-09-2002, 12:40 PM
"There is a 5 step online quote generator. Click here (http://www.petinsurance.com/enrollmentcenter/enroll/default.cfm?session_id=040B03030C06040800010B01040 504) to check it out. "

I tried this link because I'm really interested in getting a quote. Unfortunately none of the links on the webpage seem to be working. I can enter Dog's name/breed, but then it stops dead. Anybody else having this problem??

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-09-2002, 01:44 PM
Cookiebaker, I just tried it and it seems to be working fine. Tyr going to the main page: www.petinsurance.com (http://www.petinsurance.com ) and look for the online quote button.

lovemymaltese
09-09-2002, 03:10 PM
They wouldn't touch Tango with his health history. The vet knows him very well, ear troubles, cancer, gum disease, anal gland problems, and allergies.

Kfamr
09-09-2002, 03:23 PM
We're haveing a hard itme geting insurance for my dad, let alone for Simba.

Cookiebaker
09-09-2002, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the help, Doggiesarethebest, but still I click on the "next" button, and NOTHING happens. We have a firewall (does that mean much to you, it doesn't to me) and apparently that prevents me from going certain places, so I don't know if that is it, or what.

Cookiebaker
09-09-2002, 10:57 PM
OK, I tried this website again, and this time it likes me!! The cost is so reasonable--$10/mo. When I think of all the vet bills we have already paid for, I am going to seriously consider this. It seems like we have been in there at least once every three weeks. To start off with ,we had kennel cough, then it was for eating kitty litter, then it was for eating rocks (X3). And in between all of that we had regular shots every 4-6 weeks or something like that. But we love our Mister Malone SO very much, and his kisses and loving nature make it worth every bit!!! Now if I could learn to stop worrying about what is going to happen to him next, we would be all set.....but, there, I'm rambling. :)

C.C.'s Mom
09-10-2002, 10:31 AM
We did get all the information on all pet insurances in Germany, but we decided against it. They don't pay anything, so why bother with it in the first place?

I rather put some money aside monthly to cover vetbills.

We have her in our insurance though, in case she breaks something or hurts someone. In that case, my own private insurance covers all bills. The insurance also covers vet bills if she hurts another dog.

09-10-2002, 11:04 AM
I agree to C.C's mom !!!!
those vet-bills can run high sometimes !!!!

pupper-lover
09-10-2002, 01:12 PM
My pups don't have health insurance exactly, but they are on a wellness plan from my vet. It covers all vaccinations, office visits, spay/neuter, blood tests, deworming, etc. We also get 10% off all meds. The vet is right in Petsmart, so it is very convenient for me. With Addie's recovery from being on the streets and Jake's ear probs, I have saved over a thousand dollars just on office visits in the past year and a half (once a week for months). However, if you are blessed with a healthy dog, it may not be worth your money at $19.95 per month. For me that's one office visit. We are lucky if a month or two goes by without a trip to the vet.

Cookiebaker
09-10-2002, 02:16 PM
I have never heard of a "wellness plan" Is this something I should ask my vet about or do you get them somewhere else? Are they popular and I just never heard about them??

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-10-2002, 02:23 PM
Some vets offer a "Wellness Plan." In addition, the vet clinics at Petsmart offer it as well as many Petcos. As far as I know, this doesn't cover accidents or major surgeries, etc...

Cookiebaker
09-10-2002, 02:33 PM
Unfortunately we live in the middle of nowhere, and there aren't any Petsmarts or Petco's (the closest is almost 2 hours away). But we have a vet appt. on Friday, and I will just ask my vet if they have anything like that. Thanks for the reply!! :)

Cincy'sMom
09-10-2002, 04:18 PM
Ralph and I talked awhile ago about getting pet insurance, but never followed up on it. We were going to ask our vet next time we went in if they had any suggestions or any company they regularly worked with. I sorta forgot about it though. As luck would have it, Cincy is going in on Thrusday. I will try to remember and ask then. I did calculate out this one and it would cost me about $36/mo for both dogs w/ the optional routine vaccination option. Thanks for putting this back in my head :)

sabies
09-10-2002, 05:19 PM
Now that Sadie is older I will definitely be getting pet insurance for her before her next checkup. My aunt has a dog with cataracts and due to it being a pre-existing condition it is too late for her to get insurance to cover the operation.