PDA

View Full Version : Pirate's Lump.... :)

Glacier
09-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Seems appropriate that I noticed this on talk like a pirate day!

Remember the lump on Pirate's side that we can't remove? It's been growing a bit in the last couple weeks. Nothing major just slowly getting a bit bigger. Last Sunday she somehow managed to rip it open. It was DISGUSTING, blood and puss everywhere. I've dealt with lots of wounds, blood, infections ect over the past 10 years, but this one actually made me nauseas. Pirate seemed unbothered by any of it!

I debated taking her to the vet, but really what's he gonna do....she can't handle even light sedation to take it out or stitch it up. I have antibiotics at home so I've tossing those in with her dinner. Her dinner bowl is very colorful--orange, pick and white pills in with her kibble!

Today I checked her side before I left for work. It's almost flat!!!!! It's certainly not normal skin, but the vast majority of the lump is gone!!

Karen
09-19-2008, 02:28 PM
How nice that the antibiotics seem to be working, and that it was likely just an infection.

Cinder & Smoke
09-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Remember the lump on Pirate's side that we can't remove?

Last Sunday she somehow managed to rip it open. It was DISGUSTING ...

I have antibiotics at home so I've tossing those in with her dinner.

Today I checked her side before I left for work. It's almost flat!!!!!
... but the vast majority of the lump is gone!!

:)

THANKS, God!! ;)

And Thanks for teaching Miz Glacier to be such a good First Aid Giver!!

Hang In There, Pirate ... We're ALL *rooting* for ya, Kiddo!!

Psssst ... Hopefully we'll *skip* the 'Film at Eleven' segment on this one!
:p

cassiesmom
09-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Last Sunday she somehow managed to rip it open. It was DISGUSTING... the vast majority of the lump is gone!
Glacier, my heart stopped when I saw the title of this thread. Pirate Girl, maybe this is your version of the bad news/good news joke? At any rate, I hope it will heal 100%!

pomtzu
09-19-2008, 04:59 PM
I don't mean to sound like an alarmist, but don't forget - not all antibiotics work the same. Different situations can require different types of antibiotics and they have to be given long enough to kill whatever it is that they're attacking. If not taken long enough, the problem could come back. I'd definitely at least give the vet a call and explain the situation and see what he thinks.

Cinder & Smoke
09-19-2008, 06:19 PM
I'd definitely at least give the vet a call and explain the situation
and see what he thinks.

With all due respect ...
How many of Glacier's Posts have you read?

Glacier (TamaraLyn) has been around here on Pet Talk for 6 years ...
And we've followed her Tails & Treatments of her 25+ Dogs and a small
herd of Kats ... She's a bit more savvy about FurKid Meds than the
average 2-Legger might be - She's got some pretty serious 'experience' in
dealing with diseases and injuries.

She's probably administered most every antibiotic know to Veterinary
Medicine ... and pays very close attention to their use and effect.
AND she has a great relationship with a team of DVMs who trust her
judgment and knowledge.

I think I'd let her treat ME; and for sure I'd let her First Aid my FurKids!

(Written with Tongue in Cheek ... Please Don't take offense!)
:D

cyber-sibes
09-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Last Sunday she somehow managed to rip it open.... Pirate seemed unbothered by any of it! Hey, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, right Pirate?;)
Glad to hear she's on the mend. She's one tough ol' gal!

pomtzu
09-20-2008, 07:08 AM
With all due respect ...
How many of Glacier's Posts have you read?

Obviously not enough!:( Sorry - thought I was perhaps offering something somewhat helpful, especially since so many people misuse antibiotics.
No offense taken. :)

Cinder & Smoke
09-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Obviously not enough!

... since so many people misuse antibiotics.

No offense taken. :)

;)
A very true statement about folks "misusing / abusing antibiotics" ...
Including some Vets who pass 'em out like candy! :mad:

As for Glacier / TamaraLyn ~ I guess she's approaching
"Legendary Status" here on PT ... she posts often, and there's always
a *rush to read* her threads ...
because it's either a really :cool: Dog Tail -OR- a Beautiful Photo Essay -
or BOTH.

(Suggestion: Get REAL comfortable before you start reading her 'stuff' -
you'll be wanting to read a long time!)

:D
/s/ Phred

Emeraldgreen
09-20-2008, 12:32 PM
That Pirate! She just keeps on truckin'. :) I hope that she is feeling better with the lump drained now. I know you said there seems to be no pain involved with it but the lessened pressure hopefully feels a bit better than before.

Louie and me
09-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi Pirate - Louie here.
I've had a lump on my neck for a while. The white coats said it was just a fatty lump and didn't need any treatment. Then it started to grow as big as a billiard ball and knowing what happened to you my humans got really scared and took me to the clinic. They stuck a syringe in it and pulled a whole lot of clear liquid out, it turned out to be just a cyst so I feel a lot better now. I often think of you when my back-end forgets how to get up or I trip over my feet. Glad to hear your lump has mostly gone same as my cyst at least for the time being.
Hang in there - we oldies have to stick together.

Glacier
09-20-2008, 01:50 PM
I don't mean to sound like an alarmist, but don't forget - not all antibiotics work the same. Different situations can require different types of antibiotics and they have to be given long enough to kill whatever it is that they're attacking. If not taken long enough, the problem could come back. I'd definitely at least give the vet a call and explain the situation and see what he thinks.

No worried, pomtzu. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time I've had to use antibiotics at home! My vet and I have a good relationship. He knows that I occasionally self-treat without calling him and he's ok with that. If I had any concerns about the way Pirate was healing, I'd take her in right away.

pomtzu
09-20-2008, 02:02 PM
No worried, pomtzu. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time I've had to use antibiotics at home! My vet and I have a good relationship. He knows that I occasionally self-treat without calling him and he's ok with that. If I had any concerns about the way Pirate was healing, I'd take her in right away.

Cinder & Smoke set me straight!!! :) I should learn to read more before opening mouth and inserting foot!!! :( And when she said your "real" name - I knew right away who you were. I have one of your beaded bracelets! :D