PDA

View Full Version : Locks of Love

sparks19
09-18-2008, 10:56 PM
So... Since Hannah has been born I really haven't even thought of getting my hair cut... I have had it cut once just after she was born but not since lol.

SO I figured since my hair is already long... I will just wait until it gets to 10 inches at where I want it cut off and then donate it to locks of love.,

My question.....

I would LOVE to have a little fundraiser and raise some money to send in with my hair.

I would like to encourage people to donate money to Locks of Love but I dont' know HOW to do this.

I would like to have a fundraiser in support of my cutting off my hair OR inspire others to join me in the hair cutting but I don't know the first thing about spreading the word or how to effectively fundraise,

any ideas?

Catty1
09-18-2008, 11:20 PM
A sports arena here was raising money...and a lady came up with the brilliant idea of collecting ONE MILLION PENNIES! :D That works out to $10,000, so you may not need THAT many.

But heck, ask your hairdresser and a couple of other businesses you frequent about putting a "penny can" by their tills. PENNIES ONLY. People will like that! Take a coffee can, put nice wrapping paper around it, cut a slot in the plastic top, and away you go.

Maybe "a quarter million pennies"? Oh - and get your bank to donate some penny rollers...why spend two rolls' worth on a bag of them at the dollar store? ;)

Karen
09-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Their website has ways to help. See http://www.locksoflove.org/ and click on the donate/how to help and it gives you plenty of ideas.

Good luck!

I have never done it, as my first job was selling wigs, and the "real hair" ones were so much heavier and less comfortable ... and I can barely control my hair with many years of practice, but it would be better than no hair at all, and it is a way people can help without having to spend lots of money.

You can look up salons in your area that participate, and many will give you a free or discounted haircut for donating, too.

mina'smomma
09-19-2008, 08:07 AM
There was a lady back here that went around asking everyone to sponsor her hair and their money would be sent to locks for love with her hair. We sponsored a dollar for every inch. (totaled out to 20 inches) She raised almost two thousand dollars to send with her hair.

shais_mom
09-19-2008, 06:39 PM
aw man I was hoping you had done it and had pics!!!

good luck
one of my co-workers just did this as well.

AllAmericanPUP
09-19-2008, 07:00 PM
my mom is going to donate her hair too! she should be ready to cut if off here real soon...i think she's going to do it next week actually:)

Seravieve
09-19-2008, 07:16 PM
About 3 weeks ago I cut 9-9.5 inches off and donated it to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths (http://beautifullengths.com/en_US/) program.

Got an appreciation letter back from them the other day.
Was one of the best things Ive done... :D

Good Luck!

Sirrahsim
09-19-2008, 07:56 PM
I also donated my hair to Pantene's program.:D Locks of Love charges patients for their wigs which seems to defeat the purpose, know what I mean?

Now I'm working on growing my hair out again!