PDA

View Full Version : NHL: 2008 - 2009 season is upon us

Grace
09-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Finally!! The Wings are now in Traverse City for training camp, with a little golf thrown in on the side.

Can't wait for the season to begin.

http://www.nhl94.com/images/logos_lg/red_wings.gif

RICHARD
09-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Los Angeles Kinks.......YES, the Kinks.....

NO duck fans here.:D

Shelteez2
09-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Go Flames Go!! :D:D:D

Going to my first pre-season game on Tuesday!!! Woohoo!!!!

smokey the elder
09-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Go, Devils! (And RPI, too...college hockey.)

Grace
11-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Igor Larionov will be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame tonight. Here's a great article from ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=lebrun_pierre&id=3685460)

http://www.thehockeynews.com/imgs/dynamique/photos/original/article_15688_2.jpg

Puckstop31
11-10-2008, 07:56 PM
<tips hat to The Professor>

Now that is out of the way... The Dead Things ain't going nowhere. ;)

LOL

YES, I love/hate the Wings. They are the perfect pro sports organization. Making it easy to be a fan. LOL It is getting boring watching them win.

Grace
11-10-2008, 08:41 PM
<tips hat to The Professor>

LOL It is getting boring watching them win.

Not for those of us living in Michigan :)

Did you happen to catch the show? Also inducted was linesman Ray Scapinello. He never missed a scheduled game in 33 years!! The Cal Ripken of hockey!!

Puckstop31
11-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Not for those of us living in Michigan :)

Did you happen to catch the show? Also inducted was linesman Ray Scapinello. He never missed a scheduled game in 33 years!! The Cal Ripken of hockey!!

LOL

For some reason, part of my post got left out. I said at the top, "Tips hat to The Professor". Igor was a master playmaker.

I missed the show. But kudos to Ray... One of the best ever. And he had to be tough... Can you imagine the number of times he had to break up Probert/Domi fights? LOL

Puckstop31
11-11-2008, 08:48 PM
How bout' them Penguins tonight, eh Grace? ;)

LOL

:love:

JenBKR
11-11-2008, 09:38 PM
How bout' them Penguins tonight, eh Grace? ;)

LOL

Was THAT a game or what?? Unfortunately, I didn't actually get to watch it, since Armstrong cable doesn't carry versus. I listened to a little bit of it and kept checking online, since I knew that it was going to be a good game. YAY to Staal for the hat trick, I am so excited to see him get that after his scoreless streak at the beginning of the season.

You'd think that the red wings would be selling more tickets, especially after winning the cup, but I keep reading about how they can never sell out their arena. Any idea why?

Grace
11-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Well, that was an interesting evening :(

Puckstop31
11-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Was THAT a game or what?? Unfortunately, I didn't actually get to watch it, since Armstrong cable doesn't carry versus. I listened to a little bit of it and kept checking online, since I knew that it was going to be a good game. YAY to Staal for the hat trick, I am so excited to see him get that after his scoreless streak at the beginning of the season.

You'd think that the red wings would be selling more tickets, especially after winning the cup, but I keep reading about how they can never sell out their arena. Any idea why?

Yeah, Stall was en fuego. LOL The hat trick, plus he had the helper on the winning goal.

Kudos to the Penguins for an awesome win. For whatever reason, the Red Wings defence just broke down. The Pens got the cycle going down low and the Wings could not keep up.

As for the Wings not selling tickets.... I remember when EVERY home game at "the Joe" was a sellout. Detroit is a city in decline, in so many ways. Very sad. :(

JenBKR
11-12-2008, 03:49 PM
AND Staal got all 3 of his goals in the last 12 minutes of the game. Would have been such a fun one to watch. *sigh*

RICHARD
11-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Dude,

Johnson of the Kings was really physical last night, I had to laugh at the check he threw. He put a player into the Kings bench and they had a good laugh about it.

Out of last place!

JenBKR
11-13-2008, 08:34 PM
The NHL network is re-airing the Pens-Red Wings game on saturday at 2:00 since it drew such high ratings. Too bad that's the day of Ty's party - I am still going to miss it!

Grace
11-13-2008, 10:12 PM
The NHL network is re-airing the Pens-Red Wings game on saturday at 2:00 since it drew such high ratings. Too bad that's the day of Ty's party - I am still going to miss it!

You could record it.

JenBKR
11-14-2008, 06:26 AM
You could record it.

But that would make sense! :eek: :D

I would have to have someone else do it, since I don't get that channel :(, but that is a good idea.

RICHARD
12-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Isn't a rebound a "sloppy second"?

I like Sean Avery!

sparks19
12-05-2008, 11:12 PM
No... sloppy seconds are what guys call it when someone gets with their old girlfriend or someone they slept with

Sean Avery is a scum bag and not just because of this.

After what he pulled in the playoffs last year in front of brodeur I have ZERO respect for that guy. I couldn't HAVE less respect for him.

It is one thing to play the game and be a hard a$$ but you don't be a pr!ck and you don't disrespect other players like that.

JenBKR
12-06-2008, 08:37 AM
I can't stand Avery. Seems like his teammates aren't too fond of him right now either, and for good reason. I wonder how they will be towards him when he returns...

RICHARD
12-06-2008, 04:50 PM
No... sloppy seconds are what guys call it when someone gets with their old girlfriend or someone they slept with

It is one thing to play the game and be a hard a$$ but you don't be a pr!ck and you don't disrespect other players like that.

So, Sloppy Joes are guy version?

What is a Groupie then?

No one ever talks about the idiot athletes that do and say stuff that's 10 times worse than what he said. The comment had nothing to do with hawkey and was, at the most, locker room BS.

Isn't beating the crap outta each other on the ice a little disrespectful?;):D

Shelteez2
12-06-2008, 05:34 PM

What is a Groupie then?

No one ever talks about the idiot athletes that do and say stuff that's 10 times worse than what he said. The comment had nothing to do with hawkey and was, at the most, locker room BS.

You know, if he had just mouthed off to Phaneuf during the game then fine. I wouldn't have had a problem with what he said. I think it was wrong for him to specifically call a camera crew out just to say it. It made no sense for him to even comment on that to a camera crew.
I think his career is done now. There's talk of the Stars buying him out, and I doubt any team will want to pick him up.

RICHARD
12-06-2008, 06:06 PM
You know, if he had just mouthed off to Phaneuf during the game then fine. I wouldn't have had a problem with what he said. I think it was wrong for him to specifically call a camera crew out just to say it. It made no sense for him to even comment on that to a camera crew.
I think his career is done now. There's talk of the Stars buying him out, and I doubt any team will want to pick him up.

Does "former Lost Angeles King" mean anything?:rolleyes:

It's all sports and in the grand scheme of things, don't mean anything.

I have to say that when athletes get shot, shoot people, beat the crap outta people/SOs or get involved with drugs or kill someone when they are DUI-that might be a little more serious than calling out a player over his squeeze.

I have sat rink/courtside for games and the stuff I have heard players scream at each other is really funny when compared to this.

hHe did make it a point to tell everyone to enjoy the game........

Wins and losses are the only thing that count?:rolleyes:;):D

sparks19
12-06-2008, 07:42 PM

What is a Groupie then?

Well... that would probably be the case if this was an isolated incident...

however he has said A LOT of inappropriate things in the past and has been suspended before for unsportsmen like conduct on the ice.

And no... beating the crap out of each other on the ice is not disrespectful... CHEAP sucker punches are disrespectful. If two players agree to fight there is no disrespect there and (for the most part) they probably end up having a beer together at the end of the night.

HOWEVER, the things Avery does and says ARE disrespectful. I do wish other sports took that kind of cr@p seriously and didn't allow players to get away with saying stuff like that. not only is it disrespectful to a fellow hockey player... but there is NO need to say such a disgusting thing on national television about a girl you once dated just because she dumped you and you have a hard on about it.

I do not... and never will condone the things Avery has done.

he was ordered to take anger management classes and I think they are much needed.

it is one thing to jabber at each other on the ice, have a man to man face to face fight, etc. But cheapshots, baiting, and inappropriate comments about someone's partner is NOT part of the game... sorry.

an isolated incident... I might let it go... but this is NOT an isolated incident and he has pushed the envelope more and more.

You know why they really took him out of that game? because he probably would have suffered a career ending injury. You can't just let them run wild because "it's sports and it's guys". saying something on the ice when the only people that can hear you are within 10 feet of you and you are in a heated game is one thing... a premeditated offensive comment like THAT on national television... you can't just let that go. especially when it is not the first time or the second.

He got traded because the rangers didn't want to put up with his nonsense anymore... he's not a team player at all and there is no room for that. I would be very surprised if dallas keeps him around especially since his teammates already have a hate on for him.

And for the record... I think you know I am not a PC type person. But at some point you have to put a stop to this stuff and hope he takes it seriously... or someone ELSE will and he will suffer for it.

RICHARD
12-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Poor Sean, I hope he hooks up with at team.

---------

What is the purpose of playing a game in a baseball stadium on NYD?

Really?

Come on Gary, get the 'twists' out of the game and make it watchable again!

The LA Kinks play out in Lost Vegas-outdoors- in the preseason and they have a very intimate rink setup- This put a rink at second base and let the people TRY to watch the game is really dumb.

The game last year was so poorly set up I watched about 5 minutes of it and then changed the channel.:rolleyes:

RICHARD
01-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Hey Gary B!

http://www.moscowtimes.ru/article/1010/42/373445.htm

I watched this game and found it WAY more enjoyable that your Winter-where-is-the-puck? Near-the-shortstop! debacle.

Good camera shots and they were outdoors. Again, the Russkies know how to do good hockey!

Grace
01-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Sharks recall recall Claude Lemieux
Monday, 01.19.2009 / 12:03 PM / News

San Jose Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Wilson announced today that the club has reassigned forwards Brad Staubitz and Tom Cavanagh to the Worcester Sharks, the team’s top development affiliate in the American Hockey League and recalled forward Claude Lemieux.

Lemieux has played in 23 games with Worcester, posting 11 points (3-8=11), 24 penalty minutes and a +2 rating. He was originally signed by San Jose as a free agent on Dec. 29, 2007.

I wonder if the Red Wings can fit a 1 or 2 game Bob Probert contract under their salary cap. I'd like to see this nonsense ended with one punch.

aki
01-20-2009, 02:13 PM
the wings play the coyotes tonight! woot!

HEY HEY HOCKEY TOWN! :D

Grace
01-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Henrik Zetterberg has been given a new contract - 12 years, 72 million. He's 28 now, so this ensures he will be with us until retirement.

"I've never seen any reason to go anywhere else," Zetterberg said. "I really like it on the ice and off the ice. I have great teammates, a great coaching staff, owners who we know will have a good team every year. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't stay. I love it here, and I want to be here forever."

This is the longest contract ever by the Wings. How refreshing to see an athlete more concerned about where he is, than how much he will rake in. Not that 6 million a year is chicken feed. Just compare him with Manny and A-Rod; actually there is no comparison.

sparks19
01-29-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't think he can make much more than that anyway with the salary cap can he?

Good for him

Grace
01-29-2009, 05:22 PM
I don't think he can make much more than that anyway with the salary cap can he?

Good for him

The Wings do have two players, right now, who make more than 6 million/year. Lidstrom and Hossa both get 7.45. Datsyuk is at 6.7 - his contract is for 7 years. Actually, Zetterberg get 7 - 7.5 over the first 10 years; then drops to 3.35 in year 11 and 1 million in the last year.

A few of the Wings have structured their contracts so that the team can sign players like Hossa. And Zetterberg could have gotten 8 million easily, if he had become a free agent. The players like it in Detroit - especially the Swedes!! They are treated well here.

Puckstop31
01-30-2009, 02:08 PM
I am happy for Zetterberg. But in the era of the salary cap, the Wings better hope he does not suffer some sort of career ending injury because they will be on the hook for his salary... AND it will count against the cap I think. I don't know if the current CBA allows for removing his contract if he gets hurt.

Grace
02-06-2009, 01:07 PM

Think again; it appears the Rangers might have him back eek:

The Rangers have conducted thorough internal discussions regarding the feasibility of bringing Sean Avery back to Broadway and appear to be on the verge of allowing Dallas to send Hockey's Public Enemy No. 1 to Hartford in what would be the first step of the process, The Post has learned.

The organizational meetings included management personnel, coaches and players. They yielded a consensus that Avery's return to the Rangers New York Rangers is very much worth pursuing and that his injection into the lineup this season would be a constructive move.

Shelteez2
02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Think again; it appears the Rangers might have him back eek:

Huh. Well good for him. Hopefully he can make the best of it and stop being an arse to everyone.

Grace
02-10-2009, 01:34 PM
The owners of the Red Wings continue to amaze me -

Ilitches give Wings' alums, including Pronovost, Stanley Cup rings
Posted by George James Malik February 10, 2009 11:32AM

The Windsor Star's Dave Waddell spoke to New Jersey Devils scout and former Red Wings defenceman Marcel Pronovost about the tremendous gift from Mike and Marian Ilitch recently:

February 10, Windsor Star: As he worked his way through the packaging, Marcel Pronovost couldn't remember being this curious about a gift since he was a child.

When he reached the bottom and opened another tiny box, he felt like a kid again too. Staring back at him was a glittering version of the 2008 Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup ring with his name on one side with four extra diamonds symbolizing the quartet of cups he won with Detroit in the 1950s.

"My reaction was instantly to flashback to those teams," said the 78-year-old Pronovost, who was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1978 after a 21-year playing career and five cups with the Wings and Toronto.

Pronovost was one of 20 to 30 retired Red Wings to receive a gift last week. The team sent rings to every living Wings' players that won a cup in Detroit prior to their 1997 championship.

"It was Mr. and Mrs. Ilitch's idea," Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "They're special owners. They wanted to remember our great past. Players from the past didn't receive rings. They wanted to honour them.
"When UPS called to see if they could deliver it, they wanted to know if I was a jewelry dealer because of the value of it," said Pronovost, who also got a personal note from the Wings owners along with the ring. "I was really shocked by this. It was a grand gesture and I called Mr. Ilitch to thank him. I was so proud I took it (to the OHL All-Star Game) and showed it to everyone."

Is that classy or what? I'm floored by this myself.

Grace
02-25-2009, 10:51 PM
The Wings are going to open their 2009-2010 season in Stockholm in October. They will be playing the Blues.

The tickets sold out in less than one hour. If you didn't get yours, you are out of luck!

Grace
02-27-2009, 07:15 AM
From Wednesday night - another amazing goal by Zetterberg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1futVFCGtwo).

Grace
03-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Colleen Howe, wife of Gordie, passed away from Pick's disease. She was 76.

Link (http://www.freep.com/article/20090306/SPORTS05/90306069/1053/Mrs.+Hockey++Colleen+Howe++dies+at+age+76)

sparks19
03-18-2009, 12:20 PM
did anyone watch the Devils game last night?

Marty Brodeur is now officially the winningest goaltender of all time... and he's pretty darn close to setting the record for most shut out wins.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but how wierd is it that his Record TYING game was IN Montreal and he got to have his winning game on home ice. lol

Last night was a good game. the last few minutes was especially tense.

I loved how he cut the ENTIRE net off... well he cut half of it but he had these ridiculous rinky dink scissors that probably have trouble cutting butter lol... so halfway through his teammates stepped in and helped him cut the rest. I thought that was pretty cool. not just a piece... the WHOLE D@MN THING lol.

Congrats Marty

Grace
03-18-2009, 02:17 PM
I agree with you on the coincidence of his tying and record breaking games. Someone in Hockey Heaven did an amazing job with the schedule!!

We saw highlights of the game last evening. That cracked me up when he was cutting the net. Great idea!!

smokey the elder
03-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Also, Patrik Elias set the Devils' record for points. Congrats, Marty and Patrik! I saw Elias' assist on the short handed goal, but missed the 3rd period.

sparks19
03-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Also, Patrik Elias set the Devils' record for points. Congrats, Marty and Patrik! I saw Elias' assist on the short handed goal, but missed the 3rd period.

Oh yeah forgot about that. Kind of cool that they did it on the same night but poor patrik got lost in all the commotion.

LOL did anyone think even the officials were trying to help marty get the win lol... there were so many times that they just turned a blind eye to things. Like when Khabibulin had the puck covered for almost 10 seconds with THREE devils surrounding him and the official didn't blow the whistle... that was such BS lol.

BUT he earned it there is no doubt about that.

Grace
03-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Looks like he's fixing to stay a Wing :)

From the Detroit Free Press -

March 23, 2009

Hossa says he'll take less money to stay in Detroit

BY HELENE ST. JAMES
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

CALGARY, Alberta -- While Marian Hossa's focus is on playing hockey, he is, behind the scenes, talking to his agent about what it'll take to continue playing hockey for a long time with the Red Wings.

Hossa's agent, Edmonton-based Ritch Winter, and Wings general manager Ken Holland are holding contract talks with an eye on turning Hossa's one-year deal into a long-term relationship.

"To tell you the truth, I want to sign somewhere and retire there," Hossa said Sunday. "I don't want to move around any more. I'm 30. I don't know how long I'm going to play, but I am looking for long-term deal.

"To be able to stay as a Red Wing, I am prepared to take less money, but a fair deal, so both sides are happy. That's what I'm looking for. I know if I go somewhere else, I could have more, but I'm willing to take less to stay here. Hopefully things work out."

Hossa takes a team-leading 36 goals into tonight's game at the Saddledome against the Flames. Tomas Holmstrom (knee) skated Sunday and said he would decide today if he's ready to play. Chris Osgood will get a fifth straight start in goal.

The Wings are 45-13-8 with Hossa in the lineup. He signed with them last summer because he saw them as the best chance to win a Stanley Cup.

"I could be somewhere else, you know, but I came here because I like everything and I want to be a part of it," Hossa said. "And that's why I want to still be a Red Wing and stay here."

Hossa is making $7.4 million, but the Wings will push the fact that star forward Henrik Zetterberg just agreed to a 12-year deal with an annual cap number of $6 million. Zetterberg left millions on the table to remain surrounded by talent.

"That was something we talked about when we worked the deal out," Zetterberg said. "It's not if you can live on 6 (million) or 8 million; I'd say it's more that you have a lower limit that you think you deserve, and we found that, and then they were great to give me the long term."

In addition to trying to keep Hossa, the Wings also want to retain forward Johan Franzen, who's making less than $1 million. With next season's salary cap not expected to grow much beyond this season's $56.7 million, the Wings have around $9 million in cap space left, though they'll move some lower-end players this summer.

Veterans on the team are confident Holland will pull off another coup.

"He'll figure it out somehow," Osgood said. "He always does the right thing. There's not a single guy around that doesn't think that he'll figure out a way to keep them. We always seem to be able to lure good players here who want to stay here, because it's no fun regardless of what you're making to be on a bad team. There's no substitute for winning."

smokey the elder
03-24-2009, 03:14 PM
What's with the 3 game losing streak, New Jersey? Getting Marty some goals would be nice. They've scored like 1-2 goals in each of the last 3 games.

sparks19
04-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Alright... I'm fed up. I have had enough. WHEN is someone finally going to throw down and kick Sean Avery's a$$? Seriously? this guy is everything that hockey shouldn't be. He's not a team player... he's has ZERO sportsmanship. he's a spoiled pansy brat. He takes cheap shots at players and then he runs away when they want to throw down with him.

Anyone see what he did to Tim Thomas? Whistle blew and Tim Thomas was just kneeling on the ice... Avery came skating up behind him and purposely hit him in the back of the head with his stick. not hard enough to actually cause injury or anything but that is WAY besides the point. It was BS...absolute BS. and he doesn't this stuff all the time.

I think even the refs are starting to get fed up. Guys are starting to go after him and the refs are really taking their time stepping in (good for them on this one). Guys have been trying to have a face to face man to man fight with him when he does this stuff and he runs away, turns his back and tries to avoid it at all costs.

At this point... I hope the players take it upon themselves to end his BS if the league isn't going to do anything about it. he is a disgrace to the game and humanity IMO. he's a cheap shot artist and can't back it up... or is too scared to back it up

OK lol I think I made my point. I just cannot have any respect for someone who doesn't have any respect for the GAME they are getting PAID to play. he should have a job emptying porta potties... that's what he deserves to be doing

Puckstop31
04-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Yeah, Avery is a tool. But having played hockey most of my life, I know that he will get what he deserves. The Rangers are going to regret picking him up.

I'm sitting here, watching the Sabres sesons tick away. Barring a miracle of all miracles, losing to the Devils tonight pretty much seals the deal. They have to play the Bruins and the Red Wings yet as well... :(

The Habs are looking good however. But then again, its not hard to look good against the Leafs. LOL

Grace... Ya might get me actually rooting for the Wings come finals time. If the Bruins make it from the East, I'll be cheering the Wings on.

Dear God in Heaven... ANYbody but the Bruins. I like Tim Thomas, but it stops there.... LOL

RICHARD
04-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Had to laugh at the SA 'assault' on the goalie.

Are the NHLers starting to take lessons from the futbol world?

I would have laughed and sent someone else after him. You ain't gonna win too many fights dressed up like a UXB technician.:D

sparks19
04-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Had to laugh at the SA 'assault' on the goalie.

Are the NHLers starting to take lessons from the futbol world?

I would have laughed and sent someone else after him. You ain't gonna win too many fights dressed up like a UXB technician.:D

You'd be surprised how feisty the goalies can be and how effective they can be ;) Not much on the ice more effective then the end of a blocker to the nose :D Just wish it had have landed in Avery's face.

I just can't have any respect for people who don't have any respect for how FORTUNATE they are to be playing a game they supposedly love for a LIVING. Sportsmanship is just as important as any other role they play on the ice

smokey the elder
04-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Can anyone tell me why, when the Montreal team is called the "Canadiens" why people call them "the Habs"? Whatintheheck is a "hab" anyway?

RICHARD
04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Can anyone tell me why, when the Montreal team is called the "Canadiens" why people call them "the Habs"? Whatintheheck is a "hab" anyway?

Easy!

They are the Habs, we are the Habs not!

IT comes from "Les Habitants" - a salute to the people of the area.

--------------------

S19,

I did a few games as goalie in a 'sandlot' roller hockey. Fiesty?

With all the gear on I was sweating so badly I wanted to beat myself up.:rolleyes:

sparks19
04-06-2009, 04:21 PM

:)

Question: Why are the Montreal Canadiens called the Habs?

Answer: Habs is an abbreviation of "les habitants," the informal name given to the original settlers of New France, dating back to the 17th Century. So it's a natural fit for the The Montreal Canadiens, established in 1909 and marketed as a French-Canadian hockey team.

Having said that, the nickname might have been the result of an error. According to NHL.com, the first man to refer to the team as "the Habs" was Tex Rickard, owner of Madison Square Garden, in 1924. Rickard apparently told a reporter that the "H" on the Canadiens' sweaters was for "Habitants." Not true. The distinctive C-wrapped-around-H logo stands for "Club de Hockey Canadien."

smokey the elder
04-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks! That makes sense.

Grace
04-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Interesting article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/14/AR2009041403361.html?hpid=artslot) from the Washington Post about Mr. Avery, and his anticipated antics in the playoffs.

I do not wish harm to anyone, but if a member of the Capitals should accidentally bruise him, I would not be terribly upset ;)

Puckstop31
04-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Interesting article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/14/AR2009041403361.html?hpid=artslot) from the Washington Post about Mr. Avery, and his anticipated antics in the playoffs.

I do not wish harm to anyone, but if a member of the Capitals should accidentally bruise him, I would not be terribly upset ;)

He had an encounter with Jose Theodore late in the game... Frankly, I am a little disappointed in the Caps reaction.

Being the brute I am supposed to be... I DO wish harm on Avery. Severe harm. Career ending harm. He's got enough money to take care of his kid. He is bad for the game, except in NYC. He is a blight on the GAME. He does not respect it nor does he play it with honor. And that is a shame, because he does have skill. He could be a good player with out all the crap he does. Asshats like him give the NHL the bad rap it sometimes has...

Grace
04-19-2009, 01:26 PM
While on the subject of the Montreal Canadiens, have any of you heard about this -

Celine Dion part of potential bid for Habs: report
Last Updated: Thursday, April 16, 2009 | 3:36 AM ET
The Canadian Press

A shared passion for the Montreal Canadiens is making for strange bedfellows in Quebec business circles.

The Globe and Mail is reporting that pop star Celine Dion, Seagram heir Stephen Bronfman and Quebecor boss Pierre Karl Peladeau are considering a joint bid for the storied NHL team and Montreal's Bell Centre arena.

The report cites unnamed sources in the financial industry.

Team owner George Gillett is reportedly into the second round of bids for the team and arena he purchased nine years ago for $185 million US.

One investment banker familiar with the process told the Globe that potential buyers who made `initial expressions of interest' now have full access to financial data on the Canadiens and the Bell Centre.

However, the banker and other sources familiar with the possible sale of the team cautioned it will be difficult to strike a partnership that satisfies the strong personalities of the reported consortium.
© The Canadian Press, 2009

source (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/04/16/sp-canadiens-celine.html)

sparks19
04-19-2009, 02:53 PM
I heard about the bidding but I didn't hear about the celine dion part.

cassiesmom
04-19-2009, 07:06 PM
*rooting enthusiastically for the Blackhawks - who are in the playoffs for the first time since 2002*

davidpizzica
04-22-2009, 08:06 AM
One more win over the Philly Flyers!! GO PENS!

sparks19
04-22-2009, 08:50 AM
What a series between Vancouver and St Louis. I mean St Louis got swept but man were those games intense. St Louis definitely put up a fight.

JenBKR
04-22-2009, 11:18 AM
One more win over the Philly Flyers!! GO PENS!

It has been an exciting series so far. Tomorrow's game should be good - I think the Pens will take it, but we will see. The Flyers came out strong yesterday but can you believe Fleury?? He was amazing! Hope he can keep it up!

RICHARD
04-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Ugh, I can't stand the Ducks....if they advance, please someone, kick their butts?

Please?

davidpizzica
04-25-2009, 04:58 PM
The Penguins have just defeated The Flyers in the first round of the Stanley cup playoffs by a score of 5-3. They took the series 4 games to 2. Fleury was awsome!

RICHARD
04-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Ovechkin is a freak.

He is not of this planet.:eek:

Puckstop31
04-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Fleury was very good indeed. That save on Giroux was just sick.

The Penguins are looking very good.

JenBKR
04-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Fleury was very good indeed. That save on Giroux was just sick.

The Penguins are looking very good.

Especially considering that for a few months they were completely out of play off picture. I don't usually like to blame things on the coach, but the coaching change seems to have made a big difference this season. Go Pens!

Shelteez2
04-27-2009, 08:29 AM
*sigh* Do or die for us tonight. I'm not afraid to blame the coach. I want to be rid of Keenan so badly.

GO FLAMES GO!

davidpizzica
04-27-2009, 08:31 AM
You're right, Jen. The coaching change did wonders. Now I hope the Pens success can rub off on the Pirates!

sparks19
05-02-2009, 12:04 AM
WOW WHAT a hit tonight on Hudler. wow. I hope he is OK and I hope Brown (I think) get's a hefty suspension for that. That was BS :eek:

Grace
05-02-2009, 02:35 PM
WOW WHAT a hit tonight on Hudler. wow. I hope he is OK and I hope Brown (I think) get's a hefty suspension for that. That was BS :eek:

Too bad the NHL didn't see it the same way - no suspension :confused:

sparks19
05-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Too bad the NHL didn't see it the same way - no suspension :confused:

was there really no suspension? that's ridiculous. I guess they are too busy focusing on trying to stop fighting (which is ridiculous) and how to make the goaltenders equipment even SMALLER (even MORE ridiculous) to focus on the things that are REALLY causing damage to the players and the game itself. They are so out of touch it's insane. do they actually WATCH the sport they are trying to run or do they just guess.

Grace
05-02-2009, 04:42 PM
was there really no suspension? that's ridiculous. I guess they are too busy focusing on trying to stop fighting (which is ridiculous) and how to make the goaltenders equipment even SMALLER (even MORE ridiculous) to focus on the things that are REALLY causing damage to the players and the game itself. They are so out of touch it's insane. do they actually WATCH the sport they are trying to run or do they just guess.

From NHL.com (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=421189)

I think there should have been at least one game.

Puckstop31
05-03-2009, 07:33 AM
From NHL.com (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=421189)

I think there should have been at least one game.

They called it a clean hit... WHAT BS. I swear, I think Colin Campbell is on the take or something. The way I read the rule, if a referee administers a major interference penalty, with Game Misconduct... How can it NOT also be an intent to injure? Looking at the replay, I mean come on...

Bogus... And like the Ducks needed to give the Wings a reason to REALLY play. LOL

Puckstop31
05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Carolina got JOBBED. End of 2nd period, a close call on what might have been a goal. Ref rules NO goal.

Versus showed a replay, multiple times that clearly shows the puck across the goal line. Maybe only 2-3 frames of video, but it is clearly (in low def, BTW) across the line.

The NHL review rules NO goal. BS.

Boo. LOL

Puckstop31
05-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Sorry to the many Pens fans out there...

But WOW! :eek: That was an AWESOME game last night. That might be one of the most entertaining hockey games I have seen in a long time.

The stories today are all about Crosby and Ovechkin. But I think Varlamov was the hero. He made some unbelieveable saves to keep the Caps in it during the 1st period. That kid is something else....

Can it get better than that?

JenBKR
05-06-2009, 11:22 AM
That was quite a game - well I didn't actually get to see it because we don't get versus, but I listened to (most of) it. Hopefully the results will be better tonight! We'll see.....

davidpizzica
05-06-2009, 12:00 PM
That was quite a game - well I didn't actually get to see it because we don't get versus, but I listened to (most of) it. Hopefully the results will be better tonight! We'll see.....

I agree, Jen. The Pens maybe two games down, but I don't think all the Pens fans here will let them down! I'll be taping the game tonight., it should be very interesting.

RICHARD
05-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Had to laugh about Crosby complaining about the hats on the ice......Dude, skate around them!!!!!

Shelteez2
05-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Had to laugh about Crosby complaining about the hats on the ice......Dude, skate around them!!!!!

I got a huge kick out of that too. Somehow I think had he scored his hat trick in Pittsburgh he wouldn't have asked the officials to make an announcement about not throwing things on the ice. What a whiney baby... lol

sparks19
05-06-2009, 03:06 PM
I got a huge kick out of that too. Somehow I think had he scored his hat trick in Pittsburgh he wouldn't have asked the officials to make an announcement about not throwing things on the ice. What a whiney baby... lol

NO kidding. what a load of BS lol. is he new to hockey? He knows how it works when you get a hat trick. he was just mad that no one threw hats for him when he got his hat trick. had he been at home and the hats were for him he would have been in his glory.

He's a great player but more and more his whining and attitude gets to me.

Grace
05-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Then - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1uhorF5LA&feature=related

And now - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6tJUp_V5C8

What a tragedy :(

JenBKR
05-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Well, as I said I didn't see the game the other night, so I didn't know that Crosby complained. I can't find anything about it online either.....but it's kind of funny, if you look back people said all of the same things about Mario Lemieux when he was that age. With time he matured, and Crosby will too. I'll go out on a limb and say it's possible that his frustration was with his own team and not the hats. I may be biased, I suppose :D since I happen to love Crosby...not a lot of players can do what he does. He means a lot to this team.

davidpizzica
05-09-2009, 09:08 PM
The Pens have taken a 3-2 edge over the Capitals tonight with a 4-3 ovetime victory. It was a serious nail-biter and could have gone either way. GO PENS!!

JenBKR
05-09-2009, 09:32 PM
The Pens have taken a 3-2 edge over the Capitals tonight with a 4-3 ovetime victory. It was a serious nail-biter and could have gone either way. GO PENS!!

This has been an amazing series so far...it's sure keeping me on the edge of my seat! Hopefully the Pen can finish the series on monday, although at this point seriously anything can happen. GO PENS!!

sparks19
05-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Then - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1uhorF5LA&feature=related

And now - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6tJUp_V5C8

What a tragedy :(

Oh god doesn't that just break your heart grace :(

I remember that. will never EVER forget it :(

goosebumps and tears now just watching it. I won't ever forget it... or him the way he was.

RICHARD
05-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Playoff hockey? You betcha!

Grace
05-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Playoff hockey? You betcha!

I second that!!

For those who might be interested in how the Wings have done it over the years - 18 consecutive playoff appearances - a good read from the Orange County Register. (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pick-wings-red-2404785-zetterberg-through)

JenBKR
05-14-2009, 01:53 PM
That was a long, hard-fought series between the Caps and the Pens. I'm glad it's over...and I especially enjoyed how it ended! :D Tonight we will find out who the Pens play next...I am hoping for Carolina for home ice, but my guess is that Boston will pull it out. GO PENS!

RICHARD
05-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Go wings!

RICHARD
05-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Thank you, Ice Rink Jesus!

Grace
05-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Was just coming in to post about the WIN!!

So we have two of the Original Six playing in the Western Conference Final.

Dan Cleary - the pride of Newfoundland - with the winning goal; and Ozzy was spectacular.

Grace
05-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Red Wings - 5

Blackhawks - 2

1 down; 3 to go. And it isn't going to be easy.

cassiesmom
05-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Red Wings - 5

Blackhawks - 2

1 down; 3 to go. And it isn't going to be easy.

Ever since the Hawks game at Wrigley Field on New Year's Day there has been a lot of interest in hockey in Chicago. I don't know a lot about hockey but it has been very fun to have a winning team around here again. I heard Quenneville saying on the news last night they are going to have their hands full with Detroit. Not that they didn't in the previous playoff games, but now they will twice as much.

Grace
05-17-2009, 09:48 PM
The best thing about this series is that the two teams are part of the Original Six NHL teams. The others being Toronto, Montreal, Boston and New York.

Chicago and Detroit having been playing against each other for 83 years.

JenBKR
05-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Let's go Pens!

After the crazy season the Pens had, I am more than thrilled that they are in the Eastern Conference Finals. Game 1 tonight...it should be a good one! Unlike with Philly and Washington though, I am finding it difficult to dislike Carolina. Both teams play a very similar game, so it should be great hockey!

davidpizzica
05-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Let's go Pens!

After the crazy season the Pens had, I am more than thrilled that they are in the Eastern Conference Finals. Game 1 tonight...it should be a good one! Unlike with Philly and Washington though, I am finding it difficult to dislike Carolina. Both teams play a very similar game, so it should be great hockey!

Jen, the Pens put one in the WIN column last night 3-2. You're right, both teams play similar games, but the Pens have a better goalie in Fleury. GO PENS!

Grace
05-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Detroit 3
Chicago 2
in OT.

Game winning goal by Mikael Samuelsson - the very same Mikael Samuelsson who scored the game winning goal in the first game with Chicago.

Grace
05-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Couple of interesting articles from ESPN.

First, Joel Quenneville -
TORONTO -- The NHL has fined Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville $10,000 for harsh criticism of officiating in his team's loss to Detroit in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals.

Quenneville fumed over a roughing call against defenseman Matt Walker during a scrum as the first period ended Sunday. The Red Wings scored on the ensuing power play 1:13 into the second period extending their lead to 3-0, and went on to win 6-1 and take a 3-1 edge in the series.

"I think we witnessed probably the worst call in the history of sports there," Quenneville said after the game. "Nothing play.

"They scored, it's 3-0. They ruined a good hockey game and absolutely destroyed what was going on the ice. ... Never seen anything like it."

The Blackhawks will try to avoid elimination Wednesday in Detroit.

Now regarding the TV schedule for the Cup Finals -

According to multiple sources, if the Pittsburgh Penguins and Detroit Red Wings can wrap up their respective Conference final series by Wednesday night, the Stanley Cup finals likely would start on Saturday, May 30 in Detroit. In this scenario, Game 2 would be played on Sunday, May 31.

This is a change from a May 22 press release from the league that indicated that the championship series would begin on Friday, June 5, if both Conference final series didn't end in four-game sweeps.

The Penguins can close out their series with a victory over the Hurricanes in Raleigh on Tuesday night. The defending champion Red Wings, meanwhile, have positioned themselves to advance with a win over the Blackhawks on Wednesday in Detroit.

For the past several days, the league has been working behind the scenes with NBC, which has limited prime time real estate to devote to the Cup finals due to important "sweeps" week programming and the Tonight Show re-launch with new host Conan O'Brien.

The possible change would spare the league an embarrassing, television-created, eight-day hiatus and the competitive nature of the playoffs wouldn't be compromised by an unusually long layoff for both clubs.

RICHARD
05-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Buena Suerte, Pinguinos!

A ganar el Tazon de Stanley?

Si como no!

Grace
05-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Buena Suerte, Pinguinos!

A ganar el Tazon de Stanley?

Si como no!

Translation, please :)

RICHARD
05-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Translation, please :)

Congrats Penguins!
Gonna win the Stanley Cup?

Why not!:D

Grace
05-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Thank you :love:

davidpizzica
05-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Congrats Penguins!

I agree, RICHARD! WHY NOT?!

cassiesmom
05-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Congrats Penguins!

No, señor! The Blackhawks are! Or at least I hope they are! GO, Hawks!

JenBKR
05-27-2009, 12:06 PM
If you would have told me that the Pens would be in the Stanley Cup Finals in January, I would have never believed it. The coaching change made a world of difference. I was pretty shocked to see that they swept the Hurricanes though, I really thought that was going to be a long series. The playoffs have been really exciting this year so far. I'm excited to see a re-match of Detroit and Pittsburgh (I know it's not over yet but Detroit will win that series...).

TORONTO -- The NHL has fined Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville $10,000 for harsh criticism of officiating in his team's loss to Detroit in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals.

We've seen a lot of complaining about officiating in the East too, especially in the Washington series (against the Pens). The Caps' coach complained about it after pretty much every game.

Puckstop31
05-27-2009, 07:35 PM
3 weeks ago... I would have not thought the Penguins would have a chance against the wings. After watching them TOTALLY dominate the canes...

Lets go PENS! Anybody but the Dead Things. Detroit is a classy orgnaization that produces a magnificent team. They are and should be the envy of the entire professional sports world. But its getting old watching them win. The big question is... Can the pens stretch it out in the neutral zone vs the wings defence? IMO, the pens have to play LONG North-South kind of game. Gte the wings D skating forward towards their own net, rather than skating backwards and in control.

I think it will be a high tempo, but low scoring series. Should be REAL fun to watch.

As for the officiating... What coach does not whine about it in the playoffs? I have not seen any major issues with it. And I am a Level 3 USA Hockey official. :)

Good times.

Grace
05-27-2009, 09:31 PM
the Dead Things

Such a pity – someone so ill informed. That expression hasn’t been used to describe the Red wings since the 1980’s. I’m pretty sure this is the 19th consecutive year the Wings have been in the play offs.

Oh yes, do the years 1997, 1998, 2002, 2007 rings any bells? Those are the years the dead things won Lord Stanley’s Cup.

See you in Detroit on Saturday night.

RICHARD
05-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Oh yes, do the years 1997, 1998, 2002, 2007 rings any bells? Those are the years the dead things won Lord Stanley’s Cup.

OOOOHHHHHHH!

Ma'am, you dropped your gloves!;)

And?

Thou shall not have false gods before (me)?:eek:

Grace
05-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Richard - what gloves?

I have been a Wings fan for 43 years. There was once a time when I thought I would die without seeing them win THE CUP.

No false Gods - no snarky comments - just a prayer that they win one more.

JenBKR
05-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Looks like it's rematch time! I guess the finals will be starting this weekend then...I would so, so love to see the Penguins win a Cup. I think the finals are going to be really exciting...GO PENS!

RICHARD
05-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Richard - what gloves?

LOL, you are a real fan.

Us cretins only think of dropping the gloves when someone talks 'smack' about 'our' team.

For a moment I thought you and Puck were gonna throw rounds..

You called him out and I was just reminding you that all good hawkey scraps start with gloves and end with gravity!:eek::D

----------------

YOU mentioned Lord Stanley and I just wanted to remind you about Ice Rink Jesus!

Grace
05-27-2009, 10:38 PM
LOL, you are a real fan.

Us cretins only think of dropping the gloves when someone talks 'smack' about 'our' team.
----------------

Richard, to show you how much of a fan I really am . . . . . there once was a time when I worked the night shift. I would drive into work, listening to a hockey game on the radio. The broadcast was from Montreal, often in French!! Of course, I could figure out who scored because I could understand the announcers when they mentioned a specific players name.

One year, my son gave me a hockey puck autographed by Igor Larionov for Christmas. That's the kind of fan I am.

Edit - my favorite player's name, as pronounced by the French announcers, was Yvan Cournoyer

RICHARD
05-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Edit - my favorite player's name, as pronounced by the French announcers, was Yvan Cournoyer

EE-Van Corn-Y-eh.

;)
-----------

Lah knee Mack don ahld.

Puckstop31
05-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Such a pity – someone so ill informed. That expression hasn’t been used to describe the Red wings since the 1980’s. I’m pretty sure this is the 19th consecutive year the Wings have been in the play offs.

Lighten up, Grace. ;) "The Dead Things", as used in the 90's was a light hearted reference to the AGE of the team.

It was all in good fun. Or did you purposely miss all the good things I have to say about the Wings?

Puckstop31
05-28-2009, 06:27 AM
LOL, you are a real fan.

For a moment I thought you and Puck were gonna throw rounds..

You called him out and I was just reminding you that all good hawkey scraps start with gloves and end with gravity!:eek::D

----------------

YOU mentioned Lord Stanley and I just wanted to remind you about Ice Rink Jesus!

LOL... NO way dude. Goalies don't fight, well usually not.

MY team didn't even make the playoffs. :(

Puckstop31
05-28-2009, 06:30 AM
I hope the Pens coaching staff watched last night's game. The Wings played well, but the Hawks exposed a weakness... Stretch passes in the neutral zone. Speed. Osgood was, well, good. Huet was sick as well. Could have been a 6-7 game.

Going to be a good (I hope) finals series.

RICHARD
05-28-2009, 07:33 AM
LOL... NO way dude. Goalies don't fight, well usually not.

MY team didn't even make the playoffs. :(

Don't feel badly. I have lived in Hawkey Purgatory for years.

psst, I am just trying to rile things up for the Finals. Could I get the Sin Bin for inciting a fight?:eek:;)

Luck to everyone!

smokey the elder
05-28-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm rooting for the Penguins, since Detroit has won enough for awhile! It ought to be a good series.

davidpizzica
05-28-2009, 12:27 PM
GO PENGUINS! I think it'll be great for Pittsburgh to win the Super Bowl AND take home Lord Stanley's Cup in the same year.

Grace
05-28-2009, 05:33 PM
http://www.seaotter.com/marine/research/octopus/rubescens/pics/red_octopus2.jpg

davidpizzica
05-28-2009, 05:43 PM
http://www.seaotter.com/marine/research/octopus/rubescens/pics/red_octopus2.jpg

Grace, there was a news story that was just on tv tonight. It would almost impossible for Detroit fans to buy octopus in Pittsburgh for the Stanley Cup series. You'd have to show some sort of Pittsburgh or Pa. idenification to buy it.

phesina
05-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Gretchen, just WHAT is the deal with the octopi? I gather you're supposed to throw one on the ice after the Red Wings score, but why?

There was a feature on the Ch. 4 evening news tonight about a guy who owns a fish market ("o-FISH-al headquarters") near the arena. He is well-stocked with the cephalopods for all the loyal fans. He demonstrated the proper way to grasp the critter to throw it.

Grace
05-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Grace, there was a news story that was just on tv tonight. It would almost impossible for Detroit fans to buy octopus in Pittsburgh for the Stanley Cup series. You'd have to show some sort of Pittsburgh or Pa. idenification to buy it.

Ahhh, but there are many places to buy in Detroit. Then all one has to do is cook it before leaving for Pittsburgh . . . . . :D

RICHARD
05-28-2009, 06:34 PM
The octopus has eight legs and the 8 is the number of games needed to win a SC trophy back in the days when there was a handful of teams.

Now that the playoff format has changed - I think you need to win 12? - the octupi still represents a successful run at the trophy and people think that tossing an octopus on the ice after a goal is the reason to do so, but it's totally a different meaning.

The ban has been in effect for the SC series in different cities for years!

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/history/f/detroit_octopus.htm

Grace
05-28-2009, 06:52 PM
The octopus has eight legs and the 8 is the number of games needed to win a SC trophy back in the days when there was a handful of teams.

Now that the playoff format has changed - I think you need to win 12? - the octupi still represents a successful run at the trophy and people think that tossing an octopus on the ice after a goal is the reason to do so, but it's totally a different meaning.

The ban has been in effect for the SC series in different cities for years!

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/history/f/detroit_octopus.htm

The magic number is 16. So one would need two octopuses to toss. Come to Michigan, Richard, and I'll give you lessons on how to toss one . . . . . . I promise it will be fun :D

Then we could go to Greektown and have some calamari and ouzo.

RICHARD
05-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Then we could go to Greektown and have some calamari and ouzo.

Oh hell.......contact a bail bondsman and leave a deposit. just in case?:eek::D

Oh, can we bring Peter Puck with us?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnCO33mBUpA

cassiesmom
05-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Soooo... The Hawks lost last night. (SIGH) But it has been a lot of fun watching them, and watching Chicago become a town interested in them again. Hey, I just today found out that one of the Hawks is from the same town as PT's own Fritz03, Bowmanville, Ontario (that's Bryan Bickell). No word on Havlat or Khabibuhlin's injuries. Chicago is a town that is very good at waiting Until Next Year because of our Cubs! So, Hawks - Until Next Year, thanks for a great year!

RICHARD
05-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Goodbye Peter Zezel,

Thanks for the thrills and memories.:(

Grace
05-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Wings 3

Penguins 1

Puckstop31
05-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Wings 2nd goal, game 2....

DANG, they are good. And lucky. ANd good at hiding the cheating. But thats all part of being good.

Hossa TOTALLY got away with a slash setting up that goal. Oy. But Malkin allowed that goal, checking the "hated" Holmstrom down on top of Fleury. I'm sure he went down easy... ;)

These Wings are good. REALLY good. All the more reason to root against them. LOL It is getting SO old watching this.

Come on Pens... Where is the transition speed we are so used to seeing? The Wings are 1-3-1 on D... STRETCH passes in the neutral zone. Take a chance, you have too... Left winger at the top, looking for that pass.

:) I love this game.

ETA... Pens, get Stall to play like a power forward... Take the chances. Bull Stall to the net. Make the Wings play him and get some interference calls.

Puckstop31
05-31-2009, 08:51 PM
This series will be the worst nightmare of the new rules. Past few seasons, its called to the letter... Until OT in the playoffs and.or the finals.

I would have called interference 7 times already.... On Kronwall 3 times. On Malkin, twice.

This would be WAY more fun with a lot of special teams play, eh?

Puckstop31
05-31-2009, 09:22 PM
Were I a betting man... I'd put $500 on this to be a sweep. A dominating one at that. Oy.

I am in AWE of just how good the Red Wings are.

Grace
05-31-2009, 09:46 PM
RED WINGS - 3

Penguins - 1

sparks19
05-31-2009, 09:53 PM
I agree.

the pens can hold their own in the first period and partway through the second... but after that? they are just running on empty and the redwings still have a full tank.

The pens are goign to have to pull off some kind of miracle to win this

Puckstop31
05-31-2009, 10:01 PM
Watching the post game...

Zetterberg got away with covering up the puck in the crease. Oy. Its true what they are saying about "bounces" for the Pens. A millimeter here and there... Its 3-1 Pens.

Not making excuses Grace... ;) Just a very educated observation. The Wings are VERY, VERY good. But this means they are VERY good at the "gamesmanship" part of the game too. LOL

Come on Pens... What do you have to lose? Forecheck 2-2-1. GO for it. STRETCH the neutral zone. Heck... Cherry Pick the left winger from time to time. Make the Wings do something REactive. Oh and go 5/7 hole on Osgood. Stop trying high glove/blocker. It ain't working and he is looking for it.

Grace
05-31-2009, 10:42 PM
Watching the post game...

Zetterberg got away with covering up the puck in the crease. Oy. Its true what they are saying about "bounces" for the Pens. A millimeter here and there... Its 3-1 Pens.

Not making excuses Grace... ;) Just a very educated observation. The Wings are VERY, VERY good. But this means they are VERY good at the "gamesmanship" part of the game too. LOL

Come on Pens... What do you have to lose? Forecheck 2-2-1. GO for it. STRETCH the neutral zone. Heck... Cherry Pick the left winger from time to time. Make the Wings do something REactive. Oh and go 5/7 hole on Osgood. Stop trying high glove/blocker. It ain't working and he is looking for it.

My only response to your comments - did you happen to see Matt Cooke and/or Hal Gill last evening? Penalties that weren't called? It works both ways. I prefer that the refs let them 'play the game'.

The Wings are good - and have been good for 2 decades now. That is not a reason for me to suddenly cheer for some other team. One reason why they are so exceptional -

Scroll down to #1 in the BEST list. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/hockey/nhl/05/08/nhl.owners/index.html)

sparks19
05-31-2009, 10:55 PM
I am also one that prefers that they j ust let them play the game....

HOWEVER.

They can't call it close half of the year (I would say the whole season but that never happens lol) and then let everything slide in the playoffs.

it's just confusing for the players and contradictory.

Either call it ALL year.... or DON'T

RICHARD
05-31-2009, 11:22 PM
RED WINGS - 3

Penguins - 1

LOL, are you stuttering?:D

--------------------------

Here's the deal..

Keep shooting, they start to go in eventually.;)

-----------------------

Where is Marty Mc Sorley's stick when you need it?

Grace
06-01-2009, 08:44 AM
LOL, are you stuttering?:D

--------------------------

Here's the deal..

Keep shooting, they start to go in eventually.;)

-----------------------

Where is Marty Mc Sorley's stick when you need it?

Nah - It's just that the Wings have repetitive scoring dysfunction :D

As for McSorley's stick - the way sticks are breaking all over the ice, he may have to lend it to one of the teams.

Loved Abdelkader’s goal - he's just cruising toward Fleury, all alone but for 2 Penguins. Then he shoots - and scores!! Next you can hear the MSU Fight song being played in the arena.

http://bestsmileys.com/sports2/4.gif

JenBKR
06-01-2009, 09:53 AM
It's ok, I'm not worried yet. A little bummed, yes, because I thought the Pens could have won at least one of the games so far. But it's ok - look at the washington/pitt series. They were down 2-0, and the Pens were looking the same as in games 1 & 2 of this series. But they came back fighting and took the series. They can certainly come back in this one. Games 3 & 4 are on versus, so I won't get to watch, which might be good because for some reason they seem to score when I am not watching....:eek: GO PENS!!!

RICHARD
06-01-2009, 10:45 AM
. Games 3 & 4 are on versus, so I won't get to watch, which might be good because for some reason they seem to score when I am not watching....:eek: GO PENS!!!

THAT sucks............

If they were shooting and nothing was close then the fans should worry.

Three will be good.

Repetetive scoring dysfunction?

LOL, very good!

Grace
06-02-2009, 12:23 PM
A poem for Sidney Crosby -
Written by Robert Louis Stevenson -
Portrayed by Henrik Zetterberg

I HAVE a little shadow that goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me, . . . . . . . . . .

RICHARD
06-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Look what I have in MY backyard!:p:cool:

Grace
06-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Look what I have in MY backyard!:p:cool:

Are we going to use it on Thursday - for drinks http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/10.gif

RICHARD
06-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Are we going to use it on Thursday - for drinks http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/10.gif

LOL,
During the week!
;):cool:

Grace
06-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Penguins 4

Wings 2

Hey Richard - different score tonight :D

RICHARD
06-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Penguins 4

Wings 2

Hey Richard - different score tonight :D

LOL, See!
Ya just have to keep shooting.

Dang, where did that Helm kid come from?:eek::D

Grace
06-02-2009, 10:28 PM
LOL, See!
Ya just have to keep shooting.

Dang, where did that Helm kid come from?:eek::D

St. Andrews, Manitoba

Puckstop31
06-03-2009, 12:11 AM
I only got to watch the first period as I played a late, 2 HOUR, pick up session. Man am I gonna be sore....

Looking at the box score, it would seem getting last change really helped. I wonder who was on the ice for the Wings when the PP goals were scored? Was Zetterberg able to get out there?

Helm... Good. CLEARY. WOW. That guy does it all and is all over the place. First Newfie in the NHL, IIRC. But he DOES speak normal English, I heard him do a interview. LOL

Grace
06-03-2009, 07:06 AM
First Newfie in the NHL

Not the first to play - but the first to have his name engraved on Lord Stanley's Cup.

RICHARD
06-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Not the first to play - but the first to have his name engraved on Lord Stanley's Cup.

OH, Do I sense a little bravado!:eek:

One more Pens win, Best of three - and two overtime games.:D

And a partridge in a pear tree!:confused::)

Puckstop31
06-03-2009, 10:06 AM

Doh! My bad. Looking at the list of players from Newfoundland, its a big list. I did not know that Micheal Ryder was from St. Johns... Ya learn something new everyday.

Thanks Grace.

Grace
06-03-2009, 10:12 AM
OH, Do I sense a little bravado!:eek:

I was referring to last year - 2008 - when the Wings won and Dan Cleary became the first Newfie to have his name engraved. The whole population of Newfoundland turned out when he brought the cup "home" with him.

http://www.cbncompass.ca/photos/TheCompass/stories/DreamComesTrue.jpg

RICHARD
06-03-2009, 10:15 AM
I was referring to last year - 2008 - when the Wings won and Dan Cleary became the first Newfie to have his name engraved. The whole population of Newfoundland turned out when he brought the cup "home" with him.

MY CUP doesn't come with the security dude with the white gloves.:p

smokey the elder
06-03-2009, 10:33 AM

All 20 of them?:p;)

RICHARD
06-03-2009, 11:32 AM

Is that during tourist season?

I kid, I kid!:D

Grace
06-03-2009, 02:42 PM
MY CUP doesn't come with the security dude with the white gloves.:p

You could hire a private security guard :D

Comparing the pictures - your cup is quite a bit smaller, also. Does it overflow frequently?

Grace
06-03-2009, 02:47 PM

Dan is from Harbour Grace, population 3,074 in 2006. Population for Newfoundland in 2006 was just under 500,000. Wouldn't surprise me if most all of them didn't get at least a glimpse of it.

Our local Fox Sports channel, which broadcasts the Wings games, had a special on Dan and his trip home with the cup. It was quite the celebration up there.

RICHARD
06-03-2009, 03:25 PM
You could hire a private security guard :D

Comparing the pictures - your cup is quite a bit smaller, also. Does it overflow frequently?

Actually, Ed could to the job!

Grace
06-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Actually, Ed could to the job!

ABSOLUTELY!! He'd be perfect - wouldn't take any cr*p from anyone!! And he'd be a lot cheaper, also. Couple of cans of his favorite food and he'd be good to go.

Grace
06-03-2009, 10:03 PM
. . . . . . . . . Games 3 & 4 are on versus, so I won't get to watch, which might be good because for some reason they seem to score when I am not watching....:eek: GO PENS!!!

After tomorrow night's game, the rest will be on NBC.

JenBKR
06-04-2009, 09:20 AM
After tomorrow night's game, the rest will be on NBC.

I know...although I am not a fan of these 8pm games.

sparks19
06-04-2009, 11:19 AM
the only thing I hate about NBC games....

pierre McGuire. GOD I can't stand that guy lol.

RICHARD
06-04-2009, 11:42 AM
I saw part of this clip on a sports/comedy show the other day.
Love my sports and find that most of the hosts/announcers/play-by-play/color guys really suck.

Since the internet has come around, I can peek in to see some of the people I had only heard about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7J3YvnXuHA

Yes, there is a mention of pets in the last minute or so of the clip and Don Cherry is a car wreck that I can watch over and over again.:D

Grace
06-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Penguins 4

Red Wings 2

See you Saturday night in Detroit.

RICHARD
06-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Penguins 4

Red Wings 2

See you Saturday night in Detroit.

Can't you wait until the game ends?;)

O.K. Here it comes, Best o' three with two overtime games :D

JenBKR
06-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Whew, exciting! First two games, 3-1 Detroit. Next two, 4-2 Pens.

I'm hoping no OT - the washington/pitt series had 3 OT games and I almost lost my mind. I'm betting this goes 7 games.....

smokey the elder
06-05-2009, 08:59 AM
What's with the repeat scores? I wonder if Detroit will win 3-1 again on Saturday (I hope not!) Go Penguins!

RICHARD
06-05-2009, 11:59 AM
What's with the repeat scores? I wonder if Detroit will win 3-1 again on Saturday (I hope not!) Go Penguins!

It's a cost cutting measure!

The newspaper sports writers asked the NHL to repeat scores to save money on the people who write the headlines!?!

smokey the elder
06-05-2009, 02:11 PM
:D "cost cutting" love it!

RICHARD
06-06-2009, 07:36 AM
:D "cost cutting" love it!

Have you priced soy ink, lately?;)

Hey, down to the nitty gritty tonight. On Versus, they had a commercial that counted all the minutes in the NHL playoffs. It's down to 180-not counting commercials-and I hope they are the best of the year.

Rock on fans, you deserve it!!!!!

Grace
06-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Sid is showing his age - and losing his cool.

Grace
06-06-2009, 09:50 PM
RED WINGS 5

Penguins 0

Penguins taking really stupid penalties once again. Their frustration is showing. That's one thing about the Wings - those games they lost, they kept their cool.

Datsyuk being back made a huge difference.

Grace
06-06-2009, 10:51 PM
This is related to hockey - and also to WWII. From the NY Times -

The Red Wings’ P.A. announcer, Budd Lynch, was given a standing ovation on the 65th anniversary of the D-Day landings. Lynch, 91, served in the Essex Scottish Regiment of the Canadian Forces in Normandy and lost his right arm during combat a few weeks after the invasion. Five years later, he joined the Red Wings as play-by-play announcer and has been with the organization ever since.

phesina
06-07-2009, 05:49 PM
This is related to hockey - and also to WWII. From the NY Times -

Wow!!!!!

JenBKR
06-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Ugh, I don't even want to talk about that game. The young guys got frustrated and lost it. They took WAY too many stupid penalities. They are going to have to pull it together for tomorrow night's game. They are the comeback kids, and they will be playing with their backs against the wall, so I do think that it will be a much better game. GO PENS!

smokey the elder
06-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Game 5 was a disaster!

RICHARD
06-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Yeah, someone upset the delect repeating score syndrome.:eek::confused::mad:

JenBKR
06-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Well it better not be a repeating score! I seriously doubt it will be, if the Pens do lose game 6 it won't be like that. I hope that they would at least go out with dignity. Not thinking about that yet though, just hoping that they force a game 7.

I think part of the Pens problem the other night is that they were overconfident going into the game, had some great chances in the first 10 minutes, then detroit scored and they got frustrated. They just didn't recover.

Grace
06-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Well it better not be a repeating score! I seriously doubt it will be, if the Pens do lose game 6 it won't be like that. I hope that they would at least go out with dignity. Not thinking about that yet though, just hoping that they force a game 7.

I think part of the Pens problem the other night is that they were overconfident going into the game, had some great chances in the first 10 minutes, then detroit scored and they got frustrated. They just didn't recover.

Dignity is not a word associated with the Penguins right now. Even Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette compared them to a goon squad.

JenBKR
06-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Dignity is not a word associated with the Penguins right now. Even Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette compared them to a goon squad.

I have to disagree. That was one game, and no it wasn't dignified. I am sad to see that people look at one game and judge the whole team.

Grace
06-08-2009, 12:49 PM
It's not been just the one game. There were more than a few incidents in games 1 and 2. Remember Malkin and the "instigator" penalty that in normal situations would be an automatic one game suspension? But the NHL forgave him almost immediately.

The words "goon squad" are not mine - they come from a Pittsburgh reporter.

3 game misconduct penalties in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd period - how dignified is that? If you know you are going to lose, why do you attempt to do great bodily harm to your opponent? There were none against the Wings in games 3 and 4 - both of which we lost.

JenBKR
06-08-2009, 01:06 PM
It's not been just the one game. There were more than a few incidents in games 1 and 2. Remember Malkin and the "instigator" penalty that in normal situations would be an automatic one game suspension? But the NHL forgave him almost immediately.

The words "goon squad" are not mine - they come from a Pittsburgh reporter.

3 game misconduct penalties in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd period - how dignified is that? If you know you are going to lose, why do you attempt to do great bodily harm to your opponent? There were none against the Wings in games 3 and 4 - both of which we lost.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine. I'm not going to argue with you. However, I have seen then Pens all year, not just this series. I don't agree with attempting to hurt the other team, and I am not condoning that. I'm not happy that they did that either. That is not typical of them (well most of them, there are a few players that I have gotten upset with before for doing stupid things like that).

Sorry, I have to stick up for my team. No team in the league is perfect, including the wings.

EDIT: I didn't like the way I came across so I edited my post. I know that there is a lot of dislike for the Pens, and I tend to get upset and take it personally. I don't really understand the dislike for them, but I shouldn't take it personally. They have been a very special team to me since I was in 6th grade, watching them win the Cup with my father. So..I apologize for getting hotheaded.

Grace
06-08-2009, 01:17 PM
And there is one team in particular that I could make comments about, but I choose not to mention it. Isn't that 'dignity?'

I would consider that as "class" - as in being one classy lady :)

JenBKR
06-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I would consider that as "class" - as in being one classy lady :)

Thanks Grace, I appreciate that. I will just say that the team I was speaking about is in the same conference as the Pens and they have an intense rivalry. That does make for some fun games though!

Grace
06-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks Grace, I appreciate that. I will just say that the team I was speaking about is in the same conference as the Pens and they have an intense rivalry. That does make for some fun games though!

I'm quite sure I know which team you mean, but I will not mention it.

Back to the word "dignity" - using that in connection with the sport of hockey is oxymoronic, don't you think. Unless one goes back 40 - 50 years, to the Montreal Canadiens of Jean Beliveau and Henri Richard.

Grace
06-08-2009, 02:27 PM
This is really going to p*ss people off -

From the Detroit News -

Monday, June 8, 2009
NBC blocks Joe Vision broadcast of Red Wings-Penguins
Terry Foster / The Detroit News

Detroit -- There will be no "Joe Vision" broadcast of Tuesday night's Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals because NBC would not rescind its exclusive rights to the telecast.

The game will not be shown at Pittsburgh's outdoor plaza either.

At issue is television ratings, and a large crowd at Joe Louis Arena could be hundreds -- if not thousands -- of television sets not tuned into NBC.

"It is certainly something we wanted to show but were unable to secure the rights," said Steve Violetta, Senior Vice President of Business Affairs for the Wings.

NBC representative Brian Walker did not immediately return a phone message for comment, but NHL media relations vice president Frank Brown confirmed the situation while expressing sympathy to Red Wing fans.

"We are very much in tune and very sensitive to the great experience that fans have by coming to a great venue and watching a great hockey game," Brown said. "That said we need to be sensitive to the business end of things and that business is ratings driven."

RICHARD
06-08-2009, 02:35 PM

Back to the word "dignity" - using that in connection with the sport of hockey is oxymoronic, don't you think. Unless one goes back 40 - 50 years, to the Montreal Canadiens of Jean Beliveau and Henri Richard.

Don't forget Gump Worsley.

Watch, the Burgers will bombard NBC with calls and the game will air.

But, then again, you really can't trust a network that promotes Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow:confused::eek::o

JenBKR
06-08-2009, 02:36 PM

So true! Too much testosterone perhaps ;)

This is really going to p*ss people off -

From the Detroit News -

I know, NBC has been doing that in Pittsburgh too. They haven't been able to show any of the NBC games outside the arena. NBC just wants the ratings, and that's all they really care about :(

Grace
06-08-2009, 02:51 PM
I know, that in the past, the Joe has shown the game - perhaps before the games were on NBC?

Anyway, they would charge a flat fee of $5, and all the money went to charity.

NBC - the Scrooge Network :mad:

RICHARD
06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
It's 2:35 PST..On days when there is a big game I think about the players and try to think about how THEY feel hours from the opening faceoff!

Under pressure?:eek:

Grace
06-09-2009, 04:59 PM
It's 2:35 PST..On days when there is a big game I think about the players and try to think about how THEY feel hours from the opening faceoff!

Under pressure?:eek:

Well, Bernie Smilovitz just interviewed Zetterberg on the local news, and Z is definitely not showing any pressure. Maybe because he's Swedish?
Hopefully that is the case, as our team is chock full of them -Swedes, that is.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gXlbsb64iZE/Rv55XsF3T-I/AAAAAAAABYo/TmZJtsAz_iQ/s320/Swedish+Flag.jpg

Grace
06-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Cup Trivia.

In order to have ones name engraved on Lord Stanley's Cup, a player must play in 41 regular season games or one game in the Finals.

The NHL makes exceptions for players who do not meet the standard because of injury or other extenuating circumstances.

That is why you will find the name of Vladimir Konstantinov on the 1998 list - even though he has not played a game since game 4 of the finals in 1997. Vlady was the inspiration for the Wings 1998 victory.

Their motto for 1998 was Believe - верить

Grace
06-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Penguins 2

Wings 1

See you Friday night in Detroit.

RICHARD
06-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Cup Trivia.

In order to have ones name engraved on Lord Stanley's Cup, a player must play in 41 regular season games or one game in the Finals.

The NHL makes exceptions for players who do not meet the standard because of injury or other extenuating circumstances.

That is why you will find the name of Vladimir Konstantinov on the 1998 list - even though he has not played a game since game 4 of the finals in 1997. Vlady was the inspiration for the Wings 1998 victory.

Their motto for 1998 was Believe - верить

I forgot about him............Thanks for the reminder.

Isn't that what the SC is about?

60 minutes.:D

Puckstop31
06-09-2009, 09:52 PM
A game of bounces... And weird calls.... And a <gasp> mistake by Nick Lidstrom. He pinched in when he should have hung back on the winning goal.

All we can hope for is a game as good as this one was in a few days. This was, by far, the most competitive game of the series. Fun to watch.

My prediction for game 7. 2-1 Wings, early in the first overtime. (I hope I am wrong....LOL)

smokey the elder
06-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Pittsburgh sure redeemed themselves last night! I'm glad it's going the distance. Whoever wins will have earned it (still rooting for Mario's team, though.)

JenBKR
06-10-2009, 09:33 AM
And it all comes down to one game. I am going to be sad when it's all over, it's been a lot of fun to watch. Of course, I will be able to breathe again..;) Both teams have worked so hard and they both deserve the Cup IMO. I think it will be a close game on friday. Other than that, I'm not even going to try to make any predictions, anything can happen at this point!

Grace
06-12-2009, 12:42 PM
In one of those strange bits of scheduling karma . . . . . While Pittsburgh is playing in Detroit tonight, Detroit is playing in Pittsburgh tonight.

In their wildest dreams, do you think MLB thought that the Tigers and Pirates would be playing on the same Friday night in June that the Penguins and Wings would also be playing?

smokey the elder
06-12-2009, 02:55 PM
That's certainly an odd quirk of interleague play in sync with the Stanley Cup final!

phesina
06-12-2009, 04:11 PM
In one of those strange bits of scheduling karma . . . . . While Pittsburgh is playing in Detroit tonight, Detroit is playing in Pittsburgh tonight.

In their wildest dreams, do you think MLB thought that the Tigers and Pirates would be playing on the same Friday night in June that the Penguins and Wings would also be playing?

That's a riot! Will the same city take both games? Will the home team take each game?

Go Wings, go Tigers!

Puckstop31
06-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Oy Vey.... Osgood was WAY off his angle on that 2nd goal.

My prediction is wrong already, and I am OK with that. LOL

RICHARD
06-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Oy Vey.... Osgood was WAY off his angle on that 2nd goal.

My prediction is wrong already, and I am OK with that. LOL

I haven't heard a fat woman sing, yet.

Oh, Ye of little faith?

Grace
06-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Congratulation Penguin fans.

Puckstop31
06-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Red Wings! SALUTE! One HECK of a hockey game.

Penguins... Made me sweat. I HATE it when teams sit on a lead in a big game. LOL

Fleury... The SICKEST save of your career in the last seconds. Just freaking incredible.

Woot!

RICHARD
06-12-2009, 09:53 PM
The best part was the F-Bomb!:eek:

As long as series was exciting!

An inch lower on the Wing's shot?

THey'd still be playing. Did someone just drop another?:eek:;)

Puckstop31
06-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Oh... I GOTTA do it. LOL

Hooooooosssssaaaaaaaa....... Hooooooooosssssssaaaaaa......

Hoooooooossssssaaaaaaa......... Hoooooooooosssssssaaaaa.....

Grace
06-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Why Lidstrom missed that game against Chicago - from the Freep -

Lidstrom admits having surgery during playoffs; Datsyuk quiet about injury

By HELENE ST. JAMES
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

While teammates played Game 4 against Chicago, Red Wings defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom was undergoing surgery after getting speared in the testicles by Patrick Sharp in Game 3.

"I thought it was OK that Saturday when I practiced," Lidstrom said, "but Sunday, Sunday I was just in too much pain. I had surgery during that game."

Lidstrom said he would need more tests, but more surgery probably would not be needed. He said it was the most painful injury he has had.

Pavel Datsyuk was less willing to discuss the injury that sidelined him for seven games from Game 3 against Chicago to Game 5 against Pittsburgh. There may have been more than one injury, but he did suffer a foot injury after blocking a shot in the same spot twice.

In Datsyuk's view, it no longer matters.

"Too late about injuries," he said, "now, especially. My body doesn't feel anything now. My body just feels empty now."

JenBKR
06-13-2009, 08:32 AM
That sure was an exciting game. I am just a little excited :D The last 6 seconds about killed me though. So great to see Mario hoisting the Cup again, only this time in his suit. I was a little disappointed to hear the fans booing when the Pens were awarded the Cup though. But, hey, it was a great night. Pittsburgh is now the first city to win a superbowl and stanley cup in the same year.

JenBKR
06-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Oh... I GOTTA do it. LOL

Hooooooosssssaaaaaaaa....... Hooooooooosssssssaaaaaa......

Hoooooooossssssaaaaaaa......... Hoooooooooosssssssaaaaa.....

:D

Maybe he's just bad luck ;)

I did read an article this morning, he admitted that the pressure was too much for him.

Puckstop31
06-13-2009, 08:40 AM

:eek:

A goaltenders protection device for that "area" is a big honking armored kind of thing. I still wince and it hurts when I take a puck there. I cannot imagine getting speared in the goodies, having nothing but a regular cup on.

We all know Nick Lidstrom is a first ballot hall of famer. But THAT quote needs to be in bronze, somewhere in his space there. LOL

Puckstop31
06-13-2009, 08:45 AM
:D

Maybe he's just bad luck ;)

I did read an article this morning, he admitted that the pressure was too much for him.

It was HIS choice. Granted a pretty good bet, but still his choice. He seemed to be a good fit with the Wings skill game, but when it got to gut check, "how much do you want it" time.... He was not equal to his teamates desire.

Wow... What makes this so great for the Penguins is that they beat THIS Red Wings team. This Red Wings team, IMHO, is in the top 5 teams ever. Really. To go from getting just 100% taken apart in game 5, to winning the last 2 games they did...

Wow. Good for the NHL I think.

RICHARD
06-13-2009, 09:06 AM

I'd probably go see the doc after a 'sharp' blow tp to the bits.:eek:

Not a good way to mark a date.

Grace
06-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Jen, you have more class than some of the Penguin players.

From hockeydirt.com –

Shame on Sidney Crosby and a few other members of the Pittsburg Penguins for disrespecting the Red Wings. I guess Lebron James is their role model.

After being defeated by the Penguins in game 7, the Red Wings gave the Pens a few minutes to celebrate the win. The Wings then lined up for the traditional handshake. Sadly, Crosby and few other Penguins were too busy celebrating to notice that the handshakes had begun. By the time Crosby did join the line many of the Detroit players had already come to the end of the line and headed for the dressing room. This left Crosby to shake the hands of a couple of players and some members of the Detroit training staff. Shameful, and a mockery of what the CBC announcer described as one of the greatest traditions in sport.

Then there is this –

Update: NHL.com has posted a video of the handshake. Take a look - it confirms that Sid wasn't in the lineup until late. Nick Lidstrom led the Wings line and he even waited for some Penguins to get in line, but Crosby was very late arriving and by the time he did get in line Lidstrom, Draper and many others had peeled off.

HERE (http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?id=43746) is the link to the video. You might note some booing in the background. I think it was from the fans who could see Crosby and the others who were not shaking hands.

JenBKR
06-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Jen, you have more class than some of the Penguin players.

From hockeydirt.com –

Then there is this –

HERE (http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?id=43746) is the link to the video. You might note some booing in the background. I think it was from the fans who could see Crosby and the others who were not shaking hands.

I did notice that a few players wree late in getting to the handshake, but I didn't know why. The camara never showed what they were doing. I would agree, that was wrong of them and they should have been more respectful. However, the booing had already been going on, it started when the Pens were awarded the Cup and didn't seem to let up for quite a while. And I think hockeydirt needs to learn to spell Pittsburgh ;)

Grace
06-13-2009, 04:02 PM
I did notice that a few players wree late in getting to the handshake, but I didn't know why. The camara never showed what they were doing. I would agree, that was wrong of them and they should have been more respectful. However, the booing had already been going on, it started when the Pens were awarded the Cup and didn't seem to let up for quite a while. And I think hockeydirt needs to learn to spell Pittsburgh ;)

That happens after the handshakes are over. Yeah, they should have just said the Penguins :)

JenBKR
06-13-2009, 04:10 PM
That happens after the handshakes are over.

Whoops, you're right, I don't know where my head's at...

Grace
06-13-2009, 04:56 PM
I was coming back to comment on the booing. Did anyone really expect the Detroit fans to cheer for the Penguins? I certainly did not expect the Pittsburgh fans to cheer for Detroit last year - and they did not.

That's why a team wants to win at home :)

RICHARD
06-13-2009, 06:31 PM
I was coming back to comment on the booing. Did anyone really expect the Detroit fans to cheer for the Penguins? I certainly did not expect the Pittsburgh fans to cheer for Detroit last year - and they did not.

I really didn't think the fans were really rude or AHs, I noticed there were quite a few hats tossed on the ice, You figure they would have tossed more than hats at the opposing teams rink.

---------------

LOL, Of course I come from going to the El Lay Raiduhs games...Some of those fans were animals.

Grace
06-13-2009, 06:41 PM
I really didn't think the fans were really rude or AHs, I noticed there were quite a few hats tossed on the ice, You figure they would have tossed more than hats at the opposing teams rink.

---------------

LOL, Of course I come from going to the El Lay Raiduhs games...Some of those fans were animals.

Like some of these -

http://www.greenexpander.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/octopus.jpg

RICHARD
06-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Like some of these -

http://www.greenexpander.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/octopus.jpg

Do you get the VERSUS channel? There is a program called Sports Soup that made fun of the octopi!

They tossed a few at the host of the program, Matt Iseman.

It was really funny, I looked on the website for them but could not find the clps!:confused:

JenBKR
06-13-2009, 08:20 PM

Of course I wouldn't expect them to cheer, but the booing was so loud I was having trouble hearing some of it. I don't remember that happening quite like that in Pittsburgh last year (although I could be wrong, I think I may have turned the tv off then).

JenBKR
06-13-2009, 08:30 PM
I just watched the clip again where the Cup was presented to the pens - I can hardly understand what is being said because of the booing. However, it occurred to me that they may have been booing Bettman himself. Ah well, no matter.

Speaking of throwing things on the ice, a CERTAIN team's fans threw all kinds of garbage and other items at the pens players as they skated off the ice after 'capping' a series ;) I would be upset, and embarrassed, if Pens fans ever did that to an opposing team, and I would hope that has never happened. You always have your wackos though.

Hey Puckstop, which is your favorite hockey team? I know your wife follows Montreal, but I don't remember if you've ever mentioned your favorite team. Just curious :)

sparks19
06-13-2009, 09:44 PM
He's a buffalo sabres fan :)

Grace
06-13-2009, 09:44 PM
However, it occurred to me that they may have been booing Bettman himself. Ah well, no matter.

BINGO!! You hit it right with this comment. No matter the arena, Mr. Bettman gets nothing but boos when he shows up. When the Wings won at home in 2002, the boos were deafening - and he was giving the Cup to Stevie Yzerman who is adored in Detroit.

smokey the elder
06-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Poorly played by Crosby to not join the handshake line.

I only caught the last 3 minutes because I had a rehearsal (dang it, both for games 6 and 7!) I saw the puck clang off the crossbar...whew! That was a hard-fought Stanley Cup series!

Looks like the 5-0 shellacking gave the Pens the slap upside the head they needed!:D

Puckstop31
06-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Hey Puckstop, which is your favorite hockey team? I know your wife follows Montreal, but I don't remember if you've ever mentioned your favorite team. Just curious :)

Tanya said it, but not in the way I would have..... :)

My favorite teams are the Buffalo Sabres and whoever is playing the Flyers or the Senators. LOL But I really am a huge Buffalo fan. I also love to watch the home MSG feeds for Buffalo games. Nobody calls a game like Rick Jeanneret. "SCORES! Top shelf where momma hides the cooookkkiieeessss!"

LOL

Puckstop31
06-14-2009, 08:56 AM
"The Crosby incident."

If it was intentional... Boo on him. If he was excited and getting hassled by the press... Boo on him, a little less.

So, now the next game the Pens/Wings play in Detriot we get to hear the fans boo everytime Crosby touches the puck. AND, Detriot gets a chalkboard motivation for that game.

All this said.... It was a whale of a series.

Grace
06-14-2009, 10:56 AM
So, now the next game the Pens/Wings play in Detroit we get to hear the fans boo everytime Crosby touches the puck.

And that is just as stupid as it was when the Pitt fans booed Hossa this year. It's not like he had been with the team for years - he was only acquired on February 26, 2008.

Whatever . . . . . . .

sparks19
06-14-2009, 01:00 PM
LOL... ever watch habs games.... they boo anyone who EVER played for montreal that no longer plays there lol. it's just their thing.

I don't really care too much either way if people boo or cheer or whatever... it's SPORTS... that's how it is.

BUT I remember during the playoffs a couple of years ago people were booing the Canadian national anthem and vice versa... they actually had to start making announcements BEFORE the anthems to remind people not to be a$$holes. That is where I draw the line.

Boo a player... it's sports. Boo a team... it's sports. boo bettman... he deserves that and a lot worse lol. but to boo another countries national anthem? that is just trashy and disrespectful.

JenBKR
06-15-2009, 08:52 AM
My favorite teams are the Buffalo Sabres and whoever is playing the Flyers or the Senators. LOL But I really am a huge Buffalo fan. I also love to watch the home MSG feeds for Buffalo games. Nobody calls a game like Rick Jeanneret. "SCORES! Top shelf where momma hides the cooookkkiieeessss!"

LOL

Sounds like Mike Lange in Pittsburgh - he has some of the greatest sayings. "HEEEEEE shoots and scores! Get in the fast lane grandma, the bingo game is ready to roll!" I was so bummed when he went from FSN on tv to the radio - sometimes I still mute the tv and turn him on, he's awesome.

"The Crosby incident."

If it was intentional... Boo on him. If he was excited and getting hassled by the press... Boo on him, a little less.

So, now the next game the Pens/Wings play in Detriot we get to hear the fans boo everytime Crosby touches the puck. AND, Detriot gets a chalkboard motivation for that game.

All this said.... It was a whale of a series.

I honestly think it was unintentional. Crosby has so much respect for the game, it's just not like him to intentionally snub the Wings, or anyone else. Not to condone it, he should have been in that line sooner. Just an oversight on his part.

LOL... ever watch habs games.... they boo anyone who EVER played for montreal that no longer plays there lol. it's just their thing.

I don't really care too much either way if people boo or cheer or whatever... it's SPORTS... that's how it is.

BUT I remember during the playoffs a couple of years ago people were booing the Canadian national anthem and vice versa... they actually had to start making announcements BEFORE the anthems to remind people not to be a$$holes. That is where I draw the line.

Boo a player... it's sports. Boo a team... it's sports. boo bettman... he deserves that and a lot worse lol. but to boo another countries national anthem? that is just trashy and disrespectful.

Ugh, booing national anthems? Very trashy. That's just wrong.

In general, I don't see a problem with booing a player or team...like you said that's just sports. Crosby is used to getting booed, especially in certain buildings. He actually tends to play better when he is being booed...motivation maybe. Hossa is seen as a traitor by some fans - I don't necessarily agree. I didn't really blame him, all the guy wants is to win a Cup and he went with the team he thought would give him that chance. In January and early February, I would have said he most certainly made the right move, since the Pens were well out of contention for the playoffs. When Pens fans booed Jagr, though, I didn't like that. He may not have left on the best note but he did a LOT for this team.

Grace
06-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Cool website (http://www.hockeyfights.com/) I just discovered. You can watch fights from almost 30 years ago!!

Lots of hockey info, also.

JenBKR
06-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Cool website (http://www.hockeyfights.com/) I just discovered. You can watch fights from almost 30 years ago!!

Lots of hockey info, also.

Cool! Now I can get my 'hockey fight fix' over the summer :D Thanks!

Grace
06-23-2009, 02:52 PM
The National Hockey League added four new members to its exclusive club Tuesday, selecting Steve Yzerman, Brett Hull, Brian Leetch and Luc Robitaille as part of the 2009 Hall of Fame class.

The four greats will be honoured with a ceremony at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto on Nov. 9.

Grace
06-27-2009, 10:20 AM
From ESPN -

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Flyers made the biggest early splash at the NHL draft when they acquired star defenseman Chris Pronger on Friday.

Pronger and prospect Ryan Dingle went from the Anaheim Ducks to Philadelphia for forward Joffrey Lupul, defenseman Luca Sbisa, first-round picks in 2009 and 2010 and a conditional third-round pick in 2010 or 2011.

The 34-year-old Pronger, who had 11 goals and 37 assists in 82 games last season, is going into the final year of a contract that will pay him $6.25 million next season.

cassiesmom
07-04-2009, 05:30 PM
The Hawks lost Havlat and Khabibulin on free-agent day :confused: Lots of interest in the Hawks in Chicago ever since the game at Wrigley Field on New Year's Day. I wonder if they will have another outdoor game in 2010, and if it will be just one game for the entire NHL?

Puckstop31
07-05-2009, 01:24 PM
The Hawks lost Havlat and Khabibulin on free-agent day :confused: Lots of interest in the Hawks in Chicago ever since the game at Wrigley Field on New Year's Day. I wonder if they will have another outdoor game in 2010, and if it will be just one game for the entire NHL?

The rumor mill says they are trying to do it in Boston in 2010.

As for the free agency stuff... Thats life in the NHL in a salary cap era. I do have to laugh at Philly. Chris Pronger is of course a game changing player and they certainly need defence. But picking up Ray Emery and Brian Boucher for goal? LOL But I reckon the goons on Broad Street will enjoy a bone crushing hit from Pronger at the end of a 6-1 loss. LOL

Grace
07-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Watch out for Pronger - he's liable to do something stupid. During the 2002 playoffs, he aimed for Yzerman's bad leg. Tried to check him into the boards. But Stevie slipped out of the way at the last minute, and Pronger tore a knee ligament, and was done for that year.

I know one shouldn't laugh at another's misfortune, but I did laugh back then.

RICHARD
07-05-2009, 02:36 PM
I just read the LAK's wanted to pick up Hossa...They didn't do it, instead they picked up Scuteri (sp) from the pens.:eek:

Welcome to hawkey hell.

JenBKR
07-06-2009, 09:21 PM
I just read the LAK's wanted to pick up Hossa...They didn't do it, instead they picked up Scuteri (sp) from the pens.:eek:

Welcome to hawkey hell.

Scuds is great. Pittsburgh will miss him.

I honestly think that Hossa is overratted. He's a good hockey player, don't get me wrong, but he chokes. I don't think he's worth the contract that the Hawks gave him, IMO.

Grace
07-08-2009, 08:04 AM
It appears that Joe Sakic will be retiring from the Colorado Avalanche. 20 years with the same organization - such a class act.

From CBC -

Joe Sakic reportedly will retire from the NHL on Thursday, but whether he plans to accept Steve Yzerman's invitation to Team Canada's summer orientation camp remains to be seen.

The Colorado Avalanche have scheduled a media conference Thursday at 1 p.m. MT, at which time Sakic is expected to announce his retirement.

Sakic's playing time the past two seasons was limited by injuries, including a herniated disk that required surgery and three broken fingers on his left hand suffered in a snowblower accident.

Even so, Sakic was one of 46 players invited by Yzerman, executive director of the Canadian men's Olympic team, to attend an orientation camp in Calgary from Aug. 24 to 27.

Sakic was drafted 15th overall by the Quebec Nordiques in 1987, and become the face of the franchise when it was moved to Denver and renamed the Avalanche in 1995.

The 40-year-old Burnaby, B.C., native posted 625 goals and 1,016 assists for 1,641 points in 1,378 games over 20 NHL seasons with the Nordiques/Avalanche and captained Colorado to Stanley Cups in 1996 and 2001.

He won the Hart Trophy as NHL MVP in 2001 and the Conn Smythe Trophy as top playoff performer in 1996.

Sakic captained Colorado to Stanley Cups in 1996 and 2001, and he was voted tournament MVP when Team Canada won its first Olympic gold medal in 50 years at the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Games.

He also helped Team Canada win the 2004 World Cup of Hockey, the 1994 world championship and 1988 junior worlds.

SUPER JOE

Sakic ranks eighth all-time in points (1,641), 11th in assists (1,016) and 14th in goals (625) among NHLers.

RICHARD
07-08-2009, 12:40 PM
http://auction.nhl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=106788768&prmenbr=12717464&aunbr=107135478&CID=6493737&CMPID=NHL0328-133373

???????? Is the NHL that hard up for cash?:eek::confused:

Grace
07-08-2009, 03:53 PM
http://auction.nhl.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=106788768&prmenbr=12717464&aunbr=107135478&CID=6493737&CMPID=NHL0328-133373

???????? Is the NHL that hard up for cash?:eek::confused:

Are you planning to buy it?

RICHARD
07-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Are you planning to buy it?

NO! :eek:

I got it as an e-mail from the NHL. If I had the bucks and house I would.:D

Grace
07-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Saku Koivu going to Anaheim.

After 13 seasons with Montreal, 10 as their captain, they let him hang out to dry. So it's off to sunny LA for the Flying Finn.

ANAHEIM, Calif. – Saku Koivu has left the Montreal Canadiens after 13 seasons to join the Anaheim Ducks.

The two-time All-Star center, who turns 35 in November, signed a one-year deal Wednesday.

Koivu was Montreal's captain for nearly 10 years, tying Jean Beliveau for longest-serving in the team's 100-year history. He had 191 goals, 450 assists and 623 penalty minutes with the Canadiens, the only team Koivu has played for during his NHL career.

"Saku Koivus character and leadership qualities are unquestioned," Ducks general manager Bob Murray said. "He is a skilled playmaker and we are thrilled to add him to our team."

Koivu reached the 600-point milestone with a goal against Florida in October. He had 16 goals and 34 assists in 65 games last season. He has recorded 40 or more assists in five of the last six seasons and surpassed 50 points in the last six consecutive seasons.

"I'm very excited to join the Ducks this coming season," said Koivu, who helped Finland win an Olympic silver medal in 2006. "I'm also looking forward to a full season with Teemu Selanne as a teammate."

Koivu successfully overcame non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and returned to hockey seven months after being diagnosed in September 2001.

RICHARD
07-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Saku Koivu going to Anaheim.

After 13 seasons with Montreal, 10 as their captain, they let him hang out to dry. So it's off to sunny LA for the Flying Finn.

He's going to ANAHEIM! It about 40 miles south of el lay.

We don't have anything to do with Orange County, that's another planet!;)