PDA

View Full Version : Happy Namesday to meeeeeee ^_^

Ann
09-09-2002, 02:51 AM
In Sweden, we don't only celebrate birthdays, but also "namnsdagar" (means namesdays). This started in the Catholic times, when each day in the year was associated with a saint. People with the same name were celebrated on his or her day. Nowadays the namesday list is kept by the Swedish Academy, and occasionaly changes (although very rarely). For example, I used to have a namesday on my birthday, but now I don't anymore :(

Anyways, now that you all know what namesdays are (I remember the first time I mentioned it to a non-Swede they were totally clueless, so I figured I'd explain it a little first), today it is my day :) One of the two names featured today is Annette (which is my name)!

Former User
09-09-2002, 02:53 AM
We also celebrate name day in Finland, so I'm not glueless now because you mentioned it ;) Anyway, HAPPY NAMEDAY ANN!
Mine is October 26th ;)

Piglet
09-09-2002, 03:02 AM
Happy namesday Ann! I would love to have two days a year to celibrate and get presents, you Finnish and Swedes are lucky!
But of course there's always Christmas and over here we also have Sinterklaas on December 5th (also with presents).
Maybe I'm obsessing over the presents thing, but I just love giving and receiving presents (especially unexpected ones). :)

Ann
09-09-2002, 04:28 AM
You have it in Finland too? How neat!!! Maybe it exists in all of Scandinavia then... However, I looked it in my calender and it's Amanda and Rasmus that have namesdays on October 26, but no Niina :( I guess we have different names (or maybe Amanda is a middle name of yours?)

Piglet, I know how you feel! I love giving and getting presents too :) And I've heard about Sinterklaas before, it sounds like a lot of fun :)

Former User
09-09-2002, 04:34 AM
Amanda isn't my middle name (it's Johanna actually). October 26th is my nameday, together with Manda and Amanda. How Niina comes together with those two, I have no idea! :rolleyes:

Piglet (what's your name by the way? feels funny to call you Piglet!), isn't Sinterklaas more for children? I know I haven't been so long here in Belgium to know it, but we celebrate it here too

Former User
09-09-2002, 04:40 AM
Ann, I think the calendars are different in each country. I just checked my Finnish calendar and today's nameday folks are Eevert, Isto and Evert. Never heard anyone to be called Eevert in Finland though... must be one of those new names...

I'll see if I can find Ann, it's not a Finnish name though, closest is Anne.

Will check it out...

Ok, no Ann there, but Dec. 9th there's Anne, Anna, Anni.... that's the closest!:)

anna_66
09-09-2002, 08:33 AM
I've never heard of it before, but that's pretty cool! Hope you have a wonderful day:D

09-09-2002, 08:43 AM
Here in Belgium we also have our name-day : we call it our "feestdag" ! Until at least the 60ths or even later , every name must have a relation to a name of a saint on the Catholic calendar ! Modern names like we have now , were not allowed !!! I was so unlucky to be born on the French-talking part of my country , so they did not even accept that my dad wanted to give me the name of a Flemish saint !! It was supposed to be "Lutgart" , but they wrote it down in French , as "Lutgarde"(I hate this name !!) . But everybody calles me Lut !!
My name-day is on June 16 !!

Edwina's Secretary
09-09-2002, 09:37 AM
In Mexico name days are also celebrated. The call it Saint Day. I once lived there and my Saint's Day was in October I believe. I have a brother-in-law from Croatia and he also celebrates Saint's Day.

So some other countries/cultures celebrate it too but in any case....Happy Name Day to Ann!!!

Albea
09-09-2002, 10:14 AM
Before the Comunist Revolution in Russia they used to have a "name day" too. I don't know if they have gone back to it after 1989.
Anyway, happy day to you Ann!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-09-2002, 10:46 AM
Cool! I had never heard of this. Must be too many different cultures over here to get everyone to agree on one nameday calendar, but I love the idea.

Happy nameday Ann!

Karen
09-09-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty
Amanda isn't my middle name (it's Johanna actually). October 26th is my nameday, together with Manda and Amanda. How Niina comes together with those two, I have no idea! :rolleyes:

Johanna is my sister's name! She was named after my Swedish grandfather's mother.

Former User
09-09-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Karen

Johanna is my sister's name! She was named after my Swedish grandfather's mother.

Hey, that's cool! :)

lovemymaltese
09-09-2002, 03:11 PM
cool, thanks for sharing. Happy nameday!

Piglet
09-09-2002, 03:29 PM
Piglet (what's your name by the way? feels funny to call you Piglet!), isn't Sinterklaas more for children? I know I haven't been so long here in Belgium to know it, but we celebrate it here too

Hi Niina, my name is Bonnie (but I'm quite used to being called Piglet here LOL).
You're right, Sinterklaas is really meant for children but lots of adults celebrate it too. In my family we usually put all the names on pieces of paper and everyone has to take one and make a special secret present with a poem for that person. Sometimes it takes a while to sort things out, because when you pick your own name, you have to start all over again with the papers.
Well enough about Sinterklaas, it's still a few months away...I just love winter! Hot chocolate, purring kitties and staying in bed to read books...mmmm :)

koxka
09-09-2002, 06:19 PM
We also have the Sant Day here in Spain and it's related to the Saints of the Catholic Faith.But In
France and Italy the Catholics don't celebrate the Sant Day though.
Now, with the modern names that are not Christian some kids have lost a day of celebration and presents. Well, some people invent it's own day :D

My name is Anna too, but I celebrate it in July the 26th (Catholic Saint's Calendar)

Lut, same situation here, we weren't allowed too have catalan names, you should got it translated in Spanish, so I was born Ana, when the times came better you where allowed to get it in your own lenguage and I changed in Anna, catalan spellng. Maybe it not too late for you, Lut?

BTW, have a nice NameDay, Ann !!!!

AmberLee
09-09-2002, 09:16 PM
I'd forgotten about Saint's days -- first heard about it from a family that had two sets of triplets born on the same day (different years). So that the kids would have a day all their 'own', they had the major celebration of the Saint's Day and a lesser celebration on the birthday. I thought it was a pretty cool idea.

Congratulations Ann!!!!

Sara luvs her Tinky
09-10-2002, 12:36 AM
:cool: COOL:cool:
I have never heard of that before..... HAPPY NAMESDAY ANN!:)

Ann
09-10-2002, 05:04 AM
Thanks everyone :) It's fun to see how there are a few other countries around that have this tradition as well!

Originally posted by Piglet
I just love winter! Hot chocolate, purring kitties and staying in bed to read books...mmmm :)

I agree! But, I also love playing in the beautiful snow, and my dog Tina absolutely looooooooooves snow!

NoahsMommy
09-10-2002, 01:10 PM
That sounds really neat! Thanks for sharing! :)

Happy Namesday Ann!

Uabassoon
09-10-2002, 01:14 PM
Happy Name-day. I never heard of nameday. That sounds like a fun idea.

toughCookie
09-11-2002, 11:05 PM
well, Happy Namesday to you!

krazyaboutkatz
09-12-2002, 12:12 AM
HAPPY BELATED NAMESDAY ANN !!!! I've never heard of this either. I hope you had a great day. :D

09-12-2002, 04:50 AM
oh oh , me dummy !!! I keep blabbering about name-day here , and I forget the most important thing :

CONGRATS TO YOU ANN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Ann
09-12-2002, 05:08 AM
LOL lut, you're so funny :D

Thanks everyone :)