PDA

View Full Version : We just gave Ripley sub-q fluids, so proud!

jazzcat
09-17-2008, 08:58 PM
It took both of us to hold him and stick him and then hold him still while it dripped but we did it. I'm so proud of us. Richard had to stick him cause I just couldn't bring myself to do it to the old kitty. Poor guy. He's really angry with us but he will feel better in the long run.

Do we get an award or a gold button or something? How bout a cookie?

RICHARD
09-17-2008, 09:04 PM
It took both of us to hold him and stick him and then hold him still while it dripped but we did it. I'm so proud of us. Richard had to stick him cause I just couldn't bring myself to do it to the old kitty. Poor guy. He's really angry with us but he will feel better in the long run.

Do we get an award or a gold button or something? How bout a cookie?

LOL, no living being is beneath your care and attention?

Have a whole row of cookies!:)

catmandu
09-17-2008, 09:07 PM
THE CAT I HAVE TROUBLE WITH IS JUKE JOINT JOSEPH BECAUSE IM AFRIAD THAT IF I HOLD HIS MOUTH TO GIVE HIM HIS CLAVAMOX, THAT I WILL HURT HIS GUMS.
THAT GREAT NEWS AND I HOPE RIPLEY WILL LET YOU GIVE HIM HIS MEDS AGAIN.
AND THE FRUSTRATING THING IT IS FOR JJJ3 :love:AND RIPLEYS :love: OWN GOOD:(:(

Catlady711
09-17-2008, 09:55 PM
I still remember the first time I gave fluids or an injection to Dusty, I was terrified I'd do something wrong. She was very cooperative with injections, but just a bit fussy holding still so long for fluids. You'd think with helping with that at work I'd be used to it, but when it's your own kitty I revert to just being a worried owner. LOL

We frequently have clients that just cannot bring themselves to do that at home and opt to just keep bringing the critter in for us to do it. Glad things went ok. You should get a trophy for that. ;)

Medusa
09-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Wow, first time and no incident? Great! My first time I stuck the needle in my thumb because Puddy was carrying on so and because I was so nervous. Congrats on doing it right the first time. It'll get easier every time and Ripley will come to accept it. :)

Taz_Zoee
09-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Way to go! Here I'm having trouble just giving liquid meds to my cat and you are doing sub-q fluids. I'd probably be the one taking the cat to the vet for it to be done. At least a few times until I felt confident enough to attempt it myself.

And what kind of cookie would you like? :)

smokey the elder
09-18-2008, 10:26 AM
I hate doing fluids, mainly because the needle is so big. Insulin or distemper shots, no problem! Good for you.

Randi
09-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Well done! I'm sure it will get easier. ;)

Kisses to Ripley ... and some treats! :p

kimlovescats
09-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Good job! Jerry is so squeamish about even helping me do something like that! He hates to even hold a kitty ... so afraid he's hurting it!:rolleyes: I have to hold and give fluids alone .... thank God I haven't had any cats that really fought me on it.

So ((((HUGS)))) and WAY TO GO to you and Richard!!!:D

CathyBogart
09-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Well done! Even when I was working in a clinic, sticking a kitty with a needle that size always gave me pause, no matter how many kitties will just sit for it.

jazzcat
09-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks! I ate half of an orange cream iced sugar cookies or as I like to call them, Better Than Sex cookies!:D

kimlovescats
09-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks! I ate half of an orange cream iced sugar cookies or as I like to call them, Better Than Sex cookies!:D

Just half? How could you stop there? Wouldn't that be like starting to enjoy it and then stopping cold turkey?:eek::p

jazzcat
09-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Just half? How could you stop there? Wouldn't that be like starting to enjoy it and then stopping cold turkey?:eek::p
LOL, I was wondering if anyone would see that post!!
Yes, it was very hard to eat only half. I finished it off last night. :D

RICHARD
09-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Better Than Sex cookies!:D

Do they make a headache go away?:p:eek::)

jazzcat
09-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Do they make a headache go away?:p:eek::)
;):p

kb2yjx
09-19-2008, 03:07 PM
I read on a CRF site that if you FREEZE the needle BEFORE you insert it into the cat, it makes the insertion easier. I did that and it did work. YOU SHOULD HAVE A BOX OF MALLOMARS!!!!!!!!!!

jazzcat
09-19-2008, 03:12 PM
I read on a CRF site that if you FREEZE the needle BEFORE you insert it into the cat, it makes the insertion easier. I did that and it did work. YOU SHOULD HAVE A BOX OF MALLOMARS!!!!!!!!!!
That is interesting! I'll have to try it but I wonder if the cold needle will make Ripley jerk and squirm more?

Jessika
09-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Oooh congrats! Sticking any animal is scary at first, but the feeling after you do it and do it right is so awesome :)

We had to give SQ fluids to a rat at school; sadly she didn't make it, but the experience we had with her was so neat. We just got in a FeLV+ kitty yesterday also that is jaundiced as well and very very dehydrated and we got to give SQ fluids to her, also.

SQ is easy once you get the hang of it, but that feeling you get the first time you do it you'll never forget :)

kt_luvs_kitties
09-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Lori, Be VERY proud! I always hate sticking ANY animal, but you just have to. And it is WAY better than the stress of bringing him back and forth. Ya did good!;)

Now, please give the old fella a pat or two from me:D:love:

slick
09-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Oh boy Lori do I ever understand what you are going through. When my RB Speckles was so sick I went to pick her up at the vets. Long story short, I love my vet but hate the girls that run the front office. This particular time the girl from hell was on and my wonderful vet told her to teach me. All I got was 3 min........3 MIN!!!! For a first time user I thought that was disgusting and I kept asking her to show me again. She threw up her hands and made some smart remark. It was late and I wanted to get Specks home so I drove home shaking like a leaf.

I got everything upstairs and set up a hook for the line. The next morning and I shaking sooooo badly. I tried 3 times and finally on the last try I got the needle in, but not without all the water gushing out. I had pushed the needle in one part of the skin and out the other.

My poor girl was so sick that she just laid there. Finally she just looked up at me as if to say "Good grief Mom, get it right will ya :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:?" When I finally got it right I cried like a baby and kissed my little girl (and dried her off..) and thanked her for being so patient with me. The next few days it did get easier but sadly 4 days after bringing her home, I helped her off to the Bridge.

At least now I've done it and I know what to expect, just in case Max needs it in his old age.

Congratulations girl! I hope you are still celebratin' :)

Emeraldgreen
09-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Not only do you get one, you are:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd102/emeraldcreek/cookie2.jpg

When I first did it I poked the needle too far and fluids started coming out her other side. :rolleyes: She was very patient with me and thankfully I figured it out so that didn't happen again. :)

sirrahbed
09-20-2008, 03:03 AM
Good for you Lori!! If I were near enough, I would bring you a box of my favorite Lofthouse cookies:D Oh yes, and a big pat on the back to both of you!