PDA

View Full Version : Thank God for the ER Vet.....

mr.chiwawa
09-17-2008, 06:25 PM
So when I got home from work today everything was normal. Took mister out played ran around. Peed everything normal. THen we came into the house was sitting on the bed watching tv. When all of a sudden mister looked up at me eyes got HUGE and he wasn't breathing. I freaked called the my normal vet he in turn told me to go to my er vet asap. Put mister in the jeep and away we went. They took him right in checked temp and vitails everything was normal. They took an xray nothing showed . The ER vet says he has a healthy body. So after 197.50 at the ER vet and an hour I was told to watch him make sure it doesnt occur again but in a nutshell they dont know why or what caused it. I am beside myself in a slight panic....No sleep for this momma tonight if anyone can think of any reason why it happened or if it has happened to you I would HIGHLY appericate it. Oh and FYI his heart lungs and organs are fine. No broken bones. Just a very worried mamma

Taz_Zoee
09-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Oh my goodness, how scary!! I have no advice for you, but I hope it doesn't happen again. Poor Mister....and mommie!!

Freedom
09-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Very frightening! Glad he seemed to come out of it all on his own. Whew!

Prayers that this NEVER happens again.

boomersooner
09-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Wow...I, too, hope that never happens again...how scary! Can dogs get asthma? or maybe some allergic reaction or something? How weird

Ginger's Mom
09-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Very scary. Hope it doesn't happen again.

Aspen and Misty
09-17-2008, 08:07 PM
I know Chi's have collapsing Tracheas. Could his trachea possibly collapsed and he just wasn't able to clear his throat? Did he cough after he couldn't breath? Thats really the only thing I could think. I hope poor Mister is ok. Give him a huge kiss from everyone on pet talk and keep us updated!

Ashley

Catlady711
09-17-2008, 08:46 PM
I don't blame you, that would scare the tar outta me too! Hopefully it never happens again. I'm glad to hear he checked out fine and is feeling good now.

Emeraldgreen
09-17-2008, 09:04 PM
You must have been very frightened. How long was he not breathing for? How was he acting right afterwards? I'm glad to hear that he seems okay now though.

mr.chiwawa
09-17-2008, 11:05 PM
It only lasted a few seconds. Then when he started to breathe again he was shaking more then usaual but semi alert. In the xray all looked good and clear. I told him if it was for attention (I started a new job) then I wouldnt do it again if I were him see where it landed you???:p
I think we are in the clear he hasnt done it since I got home from work yesterday night..(keep the prayers and fingers and paws crossed):)
I am going to take him and the xrays to our normal vet later on today so they can have them....thanks everyone for the love it is felt and now I dont feel so crazy......(friends. who are NON dog owners told me I was nuts:rolleyes: )
Thanks a million for all the love I can feel it comming our way ANd I promise to keep everyone updated as I get the info.

Daisy and Delilah
09-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Both of my girls have the reverse sneezing thing. Daisy handles it well but Delilah doesn't. She acts exactly like Mister did. It really upset me the first time she did it. Every time she does it now, it's not much easier to tolerate. She freezes and her eys bug out, she gets real stiff and she doesn't breath until she coughs a little. It really scares me to see her like that. I'm betting that that's what happened to Mister.
Thanks for bringing that up A and M. I agree with you.

Cinder & Smoke
09-18-2008, 12:53 AM
Memo to ALL:

LEARN Doggy CPR!

The American Red Cross teaches "Pet First Aid" at many local chapters.

Here's a self-study CPR site >>>

http://www.dog-first-aid-101.com/dog-cpr.html

But remember - do NOT practice the "Chest Compressions" on you dog!

mr.chiwawa
09-18-2008, 06:43 AM
I know Pet CPR i took a class but when your alone with a small dog panic sets in not oh i took a class. And when I picked him up to take him to the phone to call the vet he started again...
PS I didnt need to be "yelled" at with the bold and caps thanks

Cinder & Smoke
09-18-2008, 07:03 AM
PS I didnt need to be "yelled" at with the bold and caps thanks

"you" weren't being *yelled* at ...
my post was directed to "all" pet owners.

Pam
09-18-2008, 07:20 AM
What a scary story but thankfully it seems that the crisis has passed (and hopefully will never return!) Please give that sweetheart a kiss from all of us. Both of my dogs do the reverse sneezing. I always thought it was possibly allergy-related but, whatever the cause, it is agonizing to watch at times.

P.S. Sometimes caps are interpreted as shouting so I very rarely use them. I know Phred meant well. :) (Thanks for editing your post Phred. :) )

kimlovescats
09-18-2008, 11:14 AM
My dachshund has always had the reverse sneezing and I never really considered it a collapsed trachea! My vet has never said anything about it being that either. Betina (my chi) also does it at times but again she doesn't seem to stop breathing! This must have been very scary for you!

I think I need to do more research on this condition!!!

CathyBogart
09-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Scary!! Mister, don't do that to your mama!! I'm so glad to hear that he's okay. I would have been petrified too, and you betcha I'd have been right over at the e-vet!

Reverse sneezing is NOT THE SAME as collapsed trachea by the way. It's a pharyngeal reflex! Reverse sneezing is not dangerous(despite how scary it can look) and some dogs actually learn to do it for attention.

Sevaede
09-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Scary!! Mister, don't do that to your mama!! I'm so glad to hear that he's okay. I would have been petrified too, and you betcha I'd have been right over at the e-vet!

Reverse sneezing is NOT THE SAME as collapsed trachea by the way. It's a pharyngeal reflex! Reverse sneezing is not dangerous(despite how scary it can look) and some dogs actually learn to do it for attention.

Heart murmurs, also, cause something that looks like a collapsing trachea. I was made aware of this when I had taken my RB Yorkie to the vet (in preparation for a flight) and began discussing her history with the new vet. She explained to me that Little Dogs heart murmur was causing her to have such mannerisms. :)

Daisy and Delilah
09-18-2008, 12:38 PM
I knew that collapsed trachea and reverse sneezing aren't the same. Sorry. My bad. I used a bad choice of punctuation and reference. Collapsed trachea is much more severe from what I've read. Actually, let me make this clear that my girls only have reverse sneezing and NOT collapsed trachea. I know I need to be more careful in how I say everything.:o Thanks ladies.:)