PDA

View Full Version : Rock band trivia

smokey the elder
09-17-2008, 07:22 AM
The Richard Wright thread, and the book I recently read about Pink Floyd's songs, gave me an idea for a thread. What cool pieces of trivia have you learned about some of your favorite bands? Here are a few, all from Another Brick in the Wall;

Stanley Kubrick wanted to use Atom Heart Mother in A Clockwork Orange.

The flying pig shot, over the Battersea Power station, went awry when the helium-filled pig escaped its moorings. The pig ended up in Kent.

The Wall is a semi-autobiography of Roger Waters, but IMO he conflates some of the Syd Barrett stuff in it, too.

The operator in "Young Lust" on The Wall did not realize she was going to be on the album, so the take was completely candid.

Steven Hawking's voice appears on "Keep Talking" on The Division Bell.

RICHARD
09-17-2008, 09:03 AM
http://www.pinkfloydz.com/millionaire.htm

A PF trivia game!

Really good!

----

I do remember the loose pig story, I seem to remember the air traffic controllers warning the jets to be on the look out for a pink pig flying around!

David Bowie has two different colored eyes.

Chris Squire of YES is the only member of the group, in all it's incarnations, to appear on every album.

PF's The Wall was only toured in two cities on the North American continent, N.Y. and L.A. It was too costly to perform because of the stage show.

--------------

Story about The Wall and why RW wrote it?

( I remember reading this in a Rolling Stone article.)

Waters was on stage performing, when he noticed that there was a young man who, no matter what was being played, bounced his head up and down out of sync with the music.
The gent was at the edge of the stage-and Waters motioned for the him to get closer to where he was was standing.

The fan, moved closer and RW leaned over and spat on him. RW gave some reasons as to why he did it. He was irritated with the fan because of the constant head bobbing during the show. He went on in the article and said that that was the point he realized that there was a "wall" between the fans and the stage and that led to the album.

--------------------------

During "The Wall" tour a giant wall made of block was erected on stage slowly separating the band from the fans in the arena. PF performed the show mostly hidden from the fans, with a few solo songs performed by Waters and Gilmour from the top and from an area in the wall that opened up into a living room set.

kitten645
09-17-2008, 11:47 AM
David Bowie has two different colored eyes AND one is permanetly dilated after being socked in the eye! :eek:

The Ramones based their punk anthem "Blitzkrieg Bop" on the Bay City Rollers song "Saturday Night" :p

I'll have to think of some more. I love R&R trivia.:D

Claudia

smokey the elder
09-17-2008, 02:17 PM
I saw The Wall on TV when Roger Waters and his band performed it after the Berlin Wall came down. I'm hoping to find it on DVD or, better yet, BluRay.

RICHARD
09-17-2008, 03:54 PM
I saw The Wall on TV when Roger Waters and his band performed it after the Berlin Wall came down. I'm hoping to find it on DVD or, better yet, BluRay.

It should be available somewhere, I saw that concert once.

---------

Here's another bit of trivia from "The Wall" movie.

Bob Geldof, cut his hand severely on a metal blind during the filming of the room trashing scene.

If you watch closely, BG starts to go nuts in a hotel room and grabs for the blinds. He has his back to the camera so you don't see him actually cut himself- He grabs the blinds, pulls them down and right before the scene changes he looks down at his hand, which he has sliced open!
---------

The scene that opens the movie, was a recreation of a riot that actually happened at the location where is was filmed at.

The Lost Angeles Sports Arena held a PF concert that turned into a riot when fans and the LAPD squared off before the gig!

RICHARD
09-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Two Rolling Stones records were released with some very unique additions to the album sleeves.

The "Sticky Fingers" AC had a real working zipper that fans were able to slide up and down.

On the "Some Girls" cover, there were cut out sections over a wheel that could be spun to change the faces on the women on the cover, Mick and the Boys were some of the choices that could be made.

Jerry Garcia/Grateful Dead lost part of a finger in a childhood accident, He used that to his advantage, saying it made him a better musician.

Danny Elfman/Oingo Boingo has penned many scores on video/movie projects, including the theme to 'The Simpsons'.

At the LIVE AID concert, Phil Collins became the first musician to perform on two different continents the same day. He did a set in England, flew on the Concorde to the U.S. where he appeared in Philapdelphia later on in the show televised around the world.

kitten645
09-17-2008, 11:10 PM
"The "Sticky Fingers" AC had a real working zipper that fans were able to slide up and down.

On the "Some Girls" cover, there were cut out sections over a wheel that could be spun to change the faces on the women on the cover, Mick and the Boys were some of the choices that could be made."

I still have both of these vinyl albums!
Off to think of new trivia.
Claudia

RICHARD
09-27-2008, 07:04 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_You_Did

Fun Steely Dan/Eagles trivia.