PDA

View Full Version : The Quick-Shop Kitty Rescue

zippy-kat
09-09-2002, 01:33 AM
My small rescue for tonight:

While waiting in line to buy some stamps, I caught a quick glimpse of a guy on a bicycle with a small grey animal aboard; its front paws hooked over the handle bars and back paws balanced on a bar! But because of a display, I couldn't tell what *kind* of animal it was--my first thought was a poodle. Quite amuzed, I watched them disappear and wondered about their travel route. I didn't have to wonder long, however.

In walks the bike-rider w/ the most adorable grey and orange kitten. The bike-rider asks one of the clerks if stray cats still hung around the back. The clerk responded, "I don't know. I'm not a cat-guy--I don't look for them." ( :mad: :rolleyes: ) To shorten the story a bit, no one in the store wanted the small kitten. The clerk finally asked him, why he didn't just keep the cat or take it to the pound, to which the bike rider replied, "I can't afford to keep her. And this one's special. Not just any ol' cat can ride a bike. She needs a good home. She's special." And he walks outside.

As I was climbing into my ride's car, I looked for the bike rider. He was at the side of the store, setting the kitten down. :( You could tell he was heart-broken. My ride asked, "what's that guy doing?" "Dumping a kitten." "WHAT?!" **phone rings** So while my ride answers the phone, I watch the bike-rider and kitten. The kitten ventures out of sight but quickly comes running--a big tom-cat was on her tail. The bike-rider lunges for the tom, I hop out of the car and go after the spooked kitten (who was headed for the path of a moving vehicle). I really, really, really wanted to take the kitten home with me, but couldn't. My heart just ached for the poor dear.

I'm not quite sure what the guy did with the tom-cat, but I did see him try to 'herd' the cat back to the alley. After the kitten, was "safe" on the sidewalk, I walked back over to the car. The bike-rider left. :(

Apparently, my cousin (my ride) told her friend the story as it was in progress. The friend told us to get out and get the kitten; he'd take it home to his son. So I jumped out of the car and grabbed the kitten. Right as I turn around, there was the bike-rider, "Are you going to take my kitten?" "Not if you want her back." "No take her...and THANK YOU...... THANK YOU."

When we were in the car, the kitten curled up by my neck and just purred and purred and purred.... I almost bawled. It was warming and heart-breaking at the same-time. She kept looking out the window and pressing her small body so tightly against mine. I wonder if the kitten was thinking, "Are you going to dump me off too?"

It just BREAKS my heart!! I don't know the bike-rider's circumstances so I'm not going to judge but, he really, really hated to give up his bike-riding kitten.

Maybe one of these days I'll run into him and be able to reassure him that his kitten went to a good home, complete with toddler and tricycle.

Logan
09-09-2002, 06:52 AM
Oh, Tonya. I was sitting there about to cry until I read that you got the kitten! I'm so glad your phone rang when it did!!! :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-09-2002, 09:23 AM
Oh Tonya, what a heart-breaking and heart-warming story all at the same time. It seemed to be obvious that the bike rider really cared about the kitten, but just couldn't keep it. And depending on how religious you are, you can believe either one of these sayings - "God works in mysterious ways" and "Timing is everything." I'm so glad the phone rang when it did, I'm so glad you two just happened to be there when the bike rider came by with the kitten, I'm so glad the tom decided to chase the kitten when it did, and I'm oh so doubly glad that the kitten got a new home and will continue to be able to ride the handle bars - how cute is that!.

Uabassoon
09-10-2002, 12:06 PM
What a sweet story. You should try to submit it to the Chicken Soup series. Wouldn't it be cool if your story was in the next Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul.

zippy-kat
09-11-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
What a sweet story. You should try to submit it to the Chicken Soup series. Wouldn't it be cool if your story was in the next Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul.

Thank you! I will think about sending it in!

Edwina's Secretary
09-11-2002, 08:50 AM
Oh do submit the story Zippy! It (and you) are so special! Have you gone to see the kitty in its new home?

AvaJoy
09-11-2002, 08:59 PM
Hurray!!!:D :D Another forsaken soul has found a home, thanks to your compassion . . . :) Let us know how the kitten is doing . . . sounds like a real sweet one, immediately cuddling up and trusting you to help, as you did.:) :)

lynnestankard
09-12-2002, 06:39 AM
Oh Tonya what a sweetheart you are! Another furbaby off to a forever home - complete with toddler and tricycle!!
I was having a bit of a weep while reading your tale - convinced it ws going to have an unhappy ending. Then - **WOW** - a really satisfactory home - one happy furbaby - and hundreds of ecstatic Cat Lovers!!
THANK YOU.

Lynne

Pam
09-12-2002, 07:15 AM
Oh Tonya I am so happy you were there at just the right time. I agree with the others. Your story is so much like the ones that come to my inbox every so often from Petwarmers. It is beautifully written! Bless you for doing what you did!

Cataholic
09-12-2002, 06:12 PM
Tonya, what a great deed you did the other day. As my mom sometimes says, "you can't make a difference to them all, but what a difference you can make to that one".

I see the cat spirits beaming down on you with cattitude!

moosmom
09-19-2002, 12:46 PM
Tonya,

What a great story! I would definitely try and submit it to Cat Fancy Magazine. I'm so glad the kitten found a wonderful home. That friend who took the kitten is someone very special.

While I don't think it was right for the man to dump the kitten, I will also not judge. His circumstances could've been that he could barely feed himself let alone another mouth. For whatever reason, you guys were in the right place at the right time. Bless you all!!

wolflady
09-19-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon

What a great idea! I like it too! That was definitely an incredibly sweet story. Talk about timing being right on target! I am one of those people who do believe things happen for a reason...and I think it was God's way of finding this special kitten a home! This story was like a nice warm blanket on a cold night for me this morning!:)
Tonya, you are a sweetheart!! Thanks for sharing and thanks for being such a wonderful purrrrrrrson!:D

gini
09-24-2002, 08:06 PM
Oh Tonya, I didn't see this story until now. Guess I was running around doing niece wedding stuff.

What a wonderful story - yes, you should submit it! All of these little guys with no chance of ever find a good home really gets to me. You were at the right time at just exactly the right place.
Kinda like our very own "little angel."

wayne0214
09-29-2002, 06:02 AM
Tonya, whenever situations come together like you stated in the account, it usually means that you should take the kitten, whether or not you intend to keep it. Listen to your inner voice on these matters. Good for you and the kitten, for a safe rescue.

This is something like my rescue of Tiger last Oct. 29th. (and I',m sure that it has been related before, but for the sake of the new ones on Pet Talk). I seldom go out of Friday nights to eat in my former central Calif. town. Any way I did and went to a Chinese restaurant. I had no more than ordered my meal (twice cooked pork, with hot sauce), and in walked two teen-aged girls with something in an old shirt. Since there were only about 4 patrons in the place, she came to me with a kitten wrapped up. "Would you like to have a kitten" they asked? (Of course, the owner did not see her because it is against the ordinances to bring an animal into a restaurant) Anyway, when I saw her tiger markings and blue eyes, I knew she was a lynx-point Siamese. Of course, I replied, "yes, and do you have any more like her"? They said, "no" and this kitten is the last one to be given away. I tried to eat my meal thinking of my new kitten, for which they went next door to the local grocery store's boxes and made a suitable carrier for her. When they returned I put her in my truck and went back in to finish my meal. But then I really didn't finish, so I had them put it in a carry-out box, and home I drove with my new prize. She was very tiny, probably less than 8 weeks old. And hungry -I guess so! She gobbled down all the dry food I had out for my other furkids. I also remember that one side of her whiskers was singed off from being too clost to an open flame. How this happened, is left to your imagination, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was caused by abuse. Since then, Tiger has become a large cat and is a "standard fixture" around here, and now she weighs nearly 10 lbs. I love her dearly.

.............wayne

Randi
09-29-2002, 09:27 AM
Tonya, what a heartwarming story! :) I'm so glad you were there at the exact right time!! I hope the kitten is happy and warm in his new home! :D

...... and yes, you should submit this story!!

Karen
09-29-2002, 11:56 AM
Yay! You should post a notice on any public bulletin board near there, telling the man his kitten has a good home. I could tell from your story his heart was really breaking, and he deserves to know she is safe!

And maybe at some future point in his life, he will be able to have a rescue kitten to keep, too.

toughCookie
09-29-2002, 03:47 PM
you are the kittens guardian angel! that was so wonderful of you to rescue the kitty. the store clerk sounds like a real jerk!

tatsxxx11
09-30-2002, 05:21 PM
Beautiful story, Tonya!! Sounds like all of the "players" were in position to assure a happy outcome that fateful day!! Can you imagine what happiness that sweet creature is experiencing!! Toddler AND tricycle!!:) Yay, Tonay, bike rider, cousin and new family! (Postal worker gets a big thumbs down!!:mad: And yes, definitely....chicken soup!

NoahsMommy
10-07-2002, 04:31 PM
Tonya & Wayne,
What beautiful stories....these little fur angels are so precious, I just can't imagine anyone not wanting to keep them. I am so happy for those who care and find homes for them. Thank you to both of you.

In fact...your stories have made me want to be a foster kitty mommy. If I ever see a kitten/cat in need...I know what to do.

God Bless.

weeze
10-09-2002, 12:53 PM
okay, I'm sitting here at work balling my eyes out.. what a wonderful story!