PDA

View Full Version : Logan's DNA results are in.....

K9karen
09-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Yep!

I didn't do the super duper deluxe DNA package. Logan's analysis recognizes 38 breeds.

Primary.... none....meaning no major specific breed since her parents weren't purebreds.

Secondary...reports breeds easily recognizable in the dog..each breed makes up less than the majority.

1) German Shepherd (really? :rolleyes:)
2) Bernese Mountain Dog!!!! :eek::eek:::cool::cool:

In the Mix.... least amount of influence in the dog's composition

1) Beagle!!! (I KNEW IT!!!!) :love:

I got a discount certificate to upgrade to check another 60+ breeds that were added to the test. I love the goober no matter what she is, but I wanted to know how close I was to guessing!
It was a fun thing to do!

ramanth
09-15-2008, 11:06 PM
How neat!! What company does this? :D

Karen
09-15-2008, 11:08 PM
I would have completely guessed the German Shepherd, don't see any Bernese influence, but believe the Beagle bit ...

38 breeds? That counts as "well mixed" for sure! She's a mixed breed American - like me! :)

BC_MoM
09-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Which company did the DNA test? It's kind of fun to see what you get as results, but from what I've learned, those DNA tests aren't too accurate. There is a slight trend that some of us have noticed that you get results according to how your dog actually looks rather than what is in his DNA.

A purebred Border Collie came back as a Chihuahua... somewhere on YouTube there is a video with a lady who sent in DNA from her purebred bully breed and it came back with crazy results too.

I guess it would be kind of interesting what they said say about my dogs, but I wouldn't save up just for this cause. lol

Taz_Zoee
09-15-2008, 11:46 PM
I was thinking the same thing as BC_MoM. I wonder how Zoee's would come back. She supposed to be a pure bred Aussie.

But it's neat to know. :D

IRescue452
09-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Your results actually seem to be believable. I also get suspicious of the companies that ask for a picture to be sent or even encourage people to upload a photo. If I had the money I'd send in one of my purebreds and see what they send back. Sometimes the rarer breeds they say for some dogs are just too rediculous to believe.

Sevaede
09-16-2008, 02:11 AM
hehe! No matter what, she is 100% PURE CUTENESS. :D

Pam
09-16-2008, 05:08 AM
What a neat thing to have done! :cool: And what a unique, one-of-a-kind girl she is! :cool: I, too, always saw lots of german shepherd but wondered where she got her ears. :)

Ginger's Mom
09-16-2008, 05:46 AM
What a fun thing to do. :) I think German Shepherd and Beagle are very believeable. Too bad they don't have have a test for cutie-patootie, because our Logan would have been way off the high end of the scale. :D How did you take the test, Karen. Is it a snip of fur, or a buccal swab, or a blood test, or what?

Freedom
09-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Just 19 shy of being a Heinz 57!!! :D

What fun, so interesting.

k9krazee
09-16-2008, 07:05 PM
That's pretty neat! :) I can DEFINITELY see Shepherd and Beagle in her.

Daisy and Delilah
09-16-2008, 07:07 PM
This is the coolest thing ever!!! I want to test Delilah. I have always thought she is mixed with something else but I thought I could never prove it.

K9karen
09-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Logan says *Arroorahrumpdelduff*..that's the Beagle in her for sure! She will answer any question you have as humanly as possible! Great digger and nose to the ground, paw up critter smeller! Awesome, but sometimes painful herder (hence my purple legs) and all around terrific squirrel chaser, mole catcher and groundhog corner-er!

I was surprised and excited about the BMD! Maybe that explains her ears, longish, soft fur, fuzzy tail and white feet!

I, too was anxious...I did hear a lot about really odd findings and disappointment.

I used Canine Heritage..in fact I saw it in one of the PT posts! The website is www.canineheritage.com and the phone is 800-362-3644. There are different prices for the breeding tests and it takes about a month.

They use a swab on the inside of the gum line (reminded me of CSI!)

My vet said there are tests done through blood work but are a bit more expensive. Maybe more accurate.

This has nothing to do with the test, but Logan met her first cat the other night.
She turned the corner of the house and didn't come when I called her, so I tromped after her in the dark (reminded myself to replace the lightbulb :rolleyes:) and she's standing at attention, transfixed. I walked over to where she was, thinking there was a rabbit in the bushes, but there was a cat sitting up against the side door. They stared at each other, Logan barked and put her butt in the air, the cat made an odd noise..and then there was a short ruckus but nobody was hurt. I have no idea how the cat got in out fenced yard, unless it climbed the fence. The teeny bottom fence imbalances due to our hill are way too small for the size of this cat to get under. Anyway, I ran inside, got her leash and took her in and the cat was gone. That was Logan's big nighttime adventure.

Jessika
09-16-2008, 10:04 PM
I was thinking the same thing as BC_MoM. I wonder how Zoee's would come back. She supposed to be a pure bred Aussie.

But it's neat to know. :D

Believe it or not, since Australian Shepherds are still such a "relatively new" breed when compared to other "seasoned" breeds out there, their DNA isn't as clear-cut as other established breeds. Grant it, they aren't a mix and their DNA will obviously share some traits from dog to dog, but it just may not be as established or clear-cut as other breeds' DNA, so with newer breeds like Aussies make sure the company specifically says they identify for your breed, otherwise you may get some crazy results :)

I spoke with a representative for a DNA testing company while I was at the CVC conference in Kansas City, MO last month. You bought a kit from them, swabbed the inside of your dog's mouth, and sent it back. They didn't ask any other information, and it was relatively inexpensive I do believe, only like $85. The results seemed pretty accurate and believable, however, they only did the top 8 breeds in your dog's mix.

Husky_mom
09-17-2008, 05:09 PM
how cool!!... the shepherd was a dead on right...

the beagle.. sure itīs possible...

but the bernese... only now that you mention it.. I kinda see soemthing... but very very faint...

it may not be 100% accurate but I think itīs cool anyhow... on a side note I tink the ones that donīt need a pic of your pooch are more "reliable" due to the fact they wonīt be guessing by the pic...

wolf_Q
09-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Very cool! I've always wondered how acurate those are, its interesting to hear the results.

buttercup132
09-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Those test aren't veyr accurate.
There are alot of people on a Pitbull forum I belong to and none of the test ever come back even remotly close to what the dogs are. These are all big dogs and it usually comes back saying Poodle,Bichon, and other little dogs.

Spiritwind
09-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Its rather interesting... I kind of agree! From what I have heard, they aren't very accurate.. but still interesting to see...

Earlier this week I was watching an episode of Judge Judy (yes! I have no life!) where a lady was suing the breeder she got her dog from because she claimed she got a "tea cup" chihuahua from this breeder, and the dog ended up being 12 lbs.. so the lady brought in DNA test results she had run on the dog that said the dog was a mix of several different dogs - I remember border collie and cocker spaniel being listed in the results.... I can't recall what else... she also brought in a printed copy of the breed standard for a Chi.

She had the dog in court with her, and the whole time I was watching this show I was like..... this dog looked like a badly bred, over sized chihuahua... not a mutt.. but judge judy took the evidence and believed the dog was not a chi. and gave the lady her money back plus the $100+ she spent on the DNA test. Obviously this breeder was a very shady guy anyway so he deserved it.. he wouldn't let the lady come to his house to pick up the dog and he didn't have papers on the dog but told the lady he would try to get papers on the puppy for her LOL Judge Judy did say she was going to send animal control to his house to check the condition of the dogs since he wouldn't let the lady come to his house...

Then at the end of the case the lady who bought the dog tried to get the judge to give her money for what she would have gotten from the dog if would have been able to breed her dog, like she planned LOL it was a MESS! Both the breeder and the buyer deserved eachother...

shepgirl
09-18-2008, 07:56 PM
That sounds so interesting. The German Shepherd stands out but never would have thought Bernese or beagle. A real heinz 57 , true to form.
I also saw that show on Judge Judy about the teacup chihuahua, I think she's hilarious.