PDA

View Full Version : Windy!

davidpizzica
09-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Tonight we are having very windy conditions in Pittsburgh. We have winds at 27 MPH gusting to 52 MPH. There are a lot of power outages, but no tree damage at least not yet here. It's still blowing pretty hard right now. I'm in good shape with the power coming back on after an hour of being off. I'm hanging in there! The weather channel said the winds were very bad in southern Indiana and northern Kentucky. Any PTers affected?

Moesha
09-14-2008, 09:59 PM
A tree fell on a golf cart at a course outside of Nashville this morning when the Ike remnants were going through. Two golfers were killed.

davidpizzica
09-14-2008, 10:07 PM
A tree fell on a golf cart at a course outside of Nashville this morning when the Ike remnants were going through. Two golfers were killed.

Moesha, I'm sorry to hear about that tragedy, but I can understand the hazards of being on a golf course in a storm, I've come pretty close myself working on a golf course.

Medusa
09-15-2008, 06:29 AM
My power went off and on 8 times last night. Creamsicle panics in total darkness, so I lit candles everywhere and then had to be really careful so that no one knocked one over. I have large tree branches down; it's going to take me all day to clean up the mess.

Grace
09-15-2008, 06:33 AM
The remnants of Ike - just passing through.

sasvermont
09-15-2008, 06:47 AM
I live in the northwestern portion of VT. Right now the winds are gusting ... enough to blow doors closed with a bang! I just checked the weather channel and it is saying that the winds are at 13 mph. I guess I can't complain, comparing the mph to what others are having. I cannot imagine 135 mph winds, as in the hurricanes.

P. S. I just now heard that there are gusts up to 45 mph. Still not that big of a deal.

Casper
09-15-2008, 06:51 AM
I live in the northeast part of Arkansas, and what was left of Ike passed through here early, early Sunday morning. We got more from Ike than what I was expecting, and the winds were a bit scary at times.
There is quite a bit of tree damage here. Including a lot of reports of trees falling through roofs of houses, and in one case, killing a man. The power went out around 6pm and stayed off for a good 5 hours or more, but I can't complain considering what so many others are going through.

I hope everyone is safe and sound!

Craftlady
09-15-2008, 07:36 AM
I'm in Northern Kentucky, boy did we get slammed. Across the street a tree fell into a house. Debris all over the place. We lost shingles on the roof (thankfully, we have a box full down in basement). School systems closed, except our immediate Independent School in our area (they never close). Up in Cincinnati (32 miles north of us) Ohio, was awful. We were without power for 3 hours. Some in up north will be days getting power back. Duke Energy said this is the worse power outage in history of their company at one time 650,000 were out.

Laura's Babies
09-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Man! It is unbelieveable what that storm has done! I kept telling it to GO AWAY but I meant to fade itself out, not cover the country and cause more distruction. I don't recall any storm before causing this many problems for so many people over such a large area! Geez!!

Sounds like we got it good here close to Baton Rouge compared to what everybody else has gotten. We didn't even get the rain they said we would! The worst we got was wind gusts up to 50-60 MPH but a stead breeze 25-35MPH. Only 1 limb fell in my yard.