PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Your church - organ, piano, band or other?

Catty1
09-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Comments appreciated too!

shais_mom
09-13-2008, 11:12 PM
my home church has a piano and organ for the traditional first service then the 2nd contemporary service has a band

Karen
09-13-2008, 11:22 PM
We have a 1912 E.M. Skinner Pipe Organ, and a grand piano in the sanctuary, and singers in the choir. Other instrumentalists also perform from time to time.

Cookiebaker
09-14-2008, 03:03 AM
We have an organ and a piano...but our organ player left a couple of years ago, and we haven't found a replacement...so for now, its just piano. For the evening service, we have a band that plays...three guitars, piano and drums. :)

sirrahved
09-14-2008, 05:25 AM
We have an organ. During communion when the organist is partaking in the Lord's Supper we have a pianist that will play a song.

Pam
09-14-2008, 06:57 AM
We have a band consisting of piano, keyboard, two electric guitars, two drummers and occasionally acoustic guitars join in. We also have a praise team and the sound system is just awesome. ;)

chocolatepuppy
09-14-2008, 07:19 AM
I voted 'One or more of the above with singer(s)'

shepgirl
09-14-2008, 08:40 AM
We have an organist with a choir, makes things so much more fervent I find.
The music seems to put everyone in friendlier spirits and it's especially nice to walk down the aisle for communion. The congregation is welcomed to ask for preferred hymns also, adds a personal touch.

davidpizzica
09-14-2008, 01:48 PM
We have a nice organ, but we are presently looking for a full-time organist. The Pastor's wife is filling in right now. We are also getting the choir organized for this year. I'm the tenor.

Flatcoatluver
09-14-2008, 02:00 PM
We have a band, and they are amazing!

Catlady711
09-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Your survey didn't allow me to vote for more than one. At my church they have both a piano and an organ. Everyone sings so we don't have a choir. Sometimes the pastor and his kids (excellent singers) do a special for us and sing by themselves.

prechrswife
09-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Our church is a pretty traditional Baptist church. We have a piano, an organ, and a choir.

Casper
09-14-2008, 05:20 PM
I voted "Band", but I meant to choose the one below it. Whoops.
Our church really encourages singing and music. Aside from the vocals we have a keyboard, guitars(both acoustic and bass), mandolins, drums, and various other odds and ends. I play mandolin.

Catty1
09-14-2008, 05:23 PM
During the fall, winter and part of the spring, we have two services - the traditional at 9 am, and contemporary at 10:30 am.

The first one has the piano, sometimes with its organ sound, and a real choir with robes.

The second service now has actually a wee orchestra - cello, oboe and violin one week, this week bass guitar, flute and recorder and hand drum...next week, who knows! All these instruments are based around the pianist, and there is a leading chorus of 3 women - though I think a bass just joined them today.

Karen
09-14-2008, 05:28 PM
We have a nice organ, but we are presently looking for a full-time organist. The Pastor's wife is filling in right now. We are also getting the choir organized for this year. I'm the tenor.

Have you tried advertising with the AGO (http://www.agohq.org/home.html) American Guild of Organists? We had several good candidates the last time we advertised, and interviewed 5 people.

Of course, I'm in the Boston area, which is pretty densely populated with music schools and programs, so ... we may have had an advantage that way. Is there a music program at any of the nearby colleges that you might be able to coordinate with to get a student organist, at least for a year or so?

davidpizzica
09-15-2008, 04:46 AM
Have you tried advertising with the AGO (http://www.agohq.org/home.html) American Guild of Organists? We had several good candidates the last time we advertised, and interviewed 5 people.

Of course, I'm in the Boston area, which is pretty densely populated with music schools and programs, so ... we may have had an advantage that way. Is there a music program at any of the nearby colleges that you might be able to coordinate with to get a student organist, at least for a year or so?

Karen, last year we had a wonderful organist, he was Episcopal, but he knew Lutheran music very well. This year he wanted a little more than the church can afford. Now we are looking for one through AGO and all around Pittsburgh for a student organist. I guess Pittsburgh is a smaller market than Boston.

Freedom
09-15-2008, 08:07 AM
We have a highly trained (master degree) musician in charge of our music. He plays organ, piano and several other instruments. He also conducts the choir (33 voices, 5 parts) and our hand bell choir. During Christmas, he adds a children's choir.

Most of the time, he plays the organ. Once in a while he brings the piano out from the back room and uses that for a song or 2.

We have a full set of handbells, and the adult handbell ringers are getting quite good; the program is now 5 years old. He started a children's handbell ringers group about 2 years ago.

At the Christmas and Easter services, he brings in a few other musicians, including a clarinet and a trumpet.

For the music prior to the service, he is flexible enough to be able to compose a medley of the songs we will be hearing during that service. The songs are artistically done at this point, so they don't always sound the way you expect!

Logan
09-15-2008, 10:01 AM
We have a wonderful music director at our church and he is also a very good pianist and organist, although our church does employ an organist/pianist, so that the music director can direct the choir and handbells. Many members of the congregation, including my husband, will participate when asked doing percussion.
Although we don't have a contemporary service any longer, we do have the band and they participate frequently in worship, They have a couple of guitarists, drummer and vocalists.
And there is an instrumental ensemble made up of many in the congregation who enjoy picking up their instruments and participating in worship. They play once/month.