PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Disk Question

Catty1
09-13-2008, 09:25 PM
I know, I know....few people use these any more, but I a formatting a bunch of them to see if anyone on Freecycle can use them.

It's going well - but with some disks "Windows cannot complete the format".

I am using quick format - if I get that message, then I do the regular...but it usually still happens.

I'm going to go over the "also-rans" after I am done to see if the write-protect wasn't switched over properly.

Why else would a floppy not format?

Thanks.

Karen
09-13-2008, 09:38 PM
If Windows cannot complete the format, I'd just pitch the disk. They don't last forever, and some have flaws in the media anyway.

slick
09-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Before you toss the diskette....on the top of the diskette, slide the silver part over to reveal the magnetic tape. Run a magnet over the tape to delete any data that's on it.

Catlady711
09-14-2008, 04:17 PM
I agree, just pitch the ones that won't format. And better yet, pry it open and cut up the 'disk' part inside, it's made out of film like material.

And a few of us still do use floppys. I still use them for backups on one of my programs because it won't write to a disk, and I use them for putting pix on to show people at work.

Hellow
09-14-2008, 06:21 PM
For me, "sudo mkfs /mnt/(whatever it is mounted as) -f" would work, but thats me :). You need to find a way to make windows force a format onto the supposedly dead floppys.

DJFyrewolf36
09-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Usually when windows rejects a disc, it's bad. Floppys have a shelf life and sometimes they just die. It also depends on how many times it was formatted previously, you can only write/erase to them so many times before they just up and quit.

There are disc utilites out there for windows that will force format them but Ive noticed that discs that tend to reject formatting will have write problems later. No use risking data on an old disc I say. ;)

Check out
http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/09/creative-uses-of-old-floppy-disks-dont.html

For an idea of how to be "constructive" with those old discs! :D

Freedom
09-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Check out
http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/09/creative-uses-of-old-floppy-disks-dont.html

For an idea of how to be "constructive" with those old discs! :D

WOW! But . . . are you dating yourself, with such an accessory? :p