PDA

View Full Version : Cat trees?

CouturePup
09-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Anyone have one that they like or can recommend? I want to get one, even though the new kitten probably will never use it. Haha

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
:)

Laura's Babies
09-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Me and a friend of mine made mine one several years back. It needs redoing now from all the scratching they have done. We also made one for my daughter and I now have that one in the place of the first one until I can get it redone.

They do use them if it is in the right place.. Where you put it is everything! I put mine by a window where they can see out and there is always one, sometimes two on it.

catmandu
09-13-2008, 03:51 PM
FOR A KITTEN SOME STURDY CARBOARD BOXES FROM THE GROCERY STORE WITH HOLES CUT IN THEM WILL DO AS WELL AS A CAT TREE FROM A STORE.
AND WILL PROVIDE JUST AS MUCH FUN!!!
I KNOW SOME OF OUR PET TALKERS :love:HAVE HOME MADE :love:FORTS, I HOPE THEY SHOW SOME PHOTOS!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/new%20photos/2362c943.jpg

mrspunkysmom
09-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Location, location, location

Laura's Babies is right. The cat tree now sits 2 ft away from the original location but it gets used daily now. Strange. It was against a wall where I passed by it on the way to the kitchen. Now it is moved forward so it sits right behind the couch. The cat that doesn't jump well has security, I still pass by it, it is more open, and it's like it's part of the couch. They climb this regularly and they wouldn't leave the lower level in the other place. Of course it could be that the lower level is blocked behind the couch so the upper levels are more inviting.

Tha cats love the sisal rope and I dust the tree/condo with catnip for further enjoyment.

GO figure. I thought about the windows, but some idiot placed all of the vents under the windows of the house.

The bean bag ottoman that I bought for my feet has been claimed by the cats. I wish the beans were in a removable pouch. It needs washing.

Good luck with your search and look around. Independently owned animal stores sometimes have better deals. Mine delivered mine for free.

Freedom
09-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Get something TALL with a perch on the top. You can make something as well, if you are inclined that way. Sisal rope or carpet work well. I prefer a perch with sides so they can't fall off. My RB Amber used to fall asleep, have his head over the edge, and next thing, BANG he fell off. He did this over and over until I finally modified it and put sides on it. Still have it, 14 years later! The rest were purchased or made after that so they came with sides.

Tall because a kitten grows into a CAT who wants to stretch up as if it were a tree in the forest and rake those nails downward.

mrspunkysmom
09-13-2008, 09:15 PM
I should add that any shelves will do. Most of my shelf units have one empty shelf for the cats. I have one small shelf with hearts cut out and Mr. Spunky loves to put his head through it to attack me. He is precious. Never have the camera ready.

In the early days I had put bells on ribbons under chairs for the cats to play. The chair (Old-fashioned ladderback) serves as a hidey hole and the bell makes noise. The bell was big enough so they couldn't swallow it (I also have no other pets or kids).

All Creatures Great And Small
09-13-2008, 09:37 PM
xx