PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow! Gas prices are skyrocketing!

jazzcat
09-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Last night our local news announced that several gas station have run out of gas and shipment isn't due till next week at best. Overnight prices increased by as much as $.40 to $4 a gallon and they are predicting the price will go up another $1 by the end of the day which will put the price at $5.00 a gallon!!! :eek:

They are begging people not to panic here and not to rush out and fill up.

Is this happening where you are or is this just happening to Knoxville, TN?

EDIT: The noon local news says the cause of the shortage is from Hurrcane GUSTAV, not Ike but the "panic" of the shortage and the possible problems from Ike are causing prices to continue to climb. Everyone does expect it to be $5 a gallon here by tonight. No Fair!
Here's a link: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/sep/12/knoxville-gas-prices-rising-hurricane-threatens-su/?partner=yahoo_headlines

Karen
09-12-2008, 11:14 AM
They said it was sue to happen in the Gulf states, as everyone panics about Hurricane Ike, as the refineries have to stop production while the storm hits. It should be a temporary bump, I'm guessing you are close enough so that your gasoline comes from those refineries more directly.

I filled my tank a couple days ago, so am fine for a little while. It turns out my supermarket chain has a "gas points" program, and as the two I shop I don;t have a gas station, I had never paid attention. Went online, found the one with a gas station closest to me (8 miles) and filled my tank for 75 cents less a gallon than the street price. That was cool!

pomtzu
09-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Here in central Delaware it's averaging $3.30. I saw it for $3.28 in Dover yesterday. I heard that since the price of oil dropped back down to under $100 per barrel, that the oil companies are cutting back production. But of course - so the price of gas can go back up again - just like it is where you are! Won't they ever be satisfied with the billions in profits that they make???:mad::mad::mad::mad:

lvpets2002
09-12-2008, 11:27 AM
:o Yes there are Several Oil Refineries on the Gulf Coast in the Houston Area.. If Ike hits as hard as they predict then it wont be temporary.. It is more likley to wipe out the refineries.. Now we can just watch & see how Ike does & hope for a temporary bump..

RICHARD
09-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Went online, found the one with a gas station closest to me (8 miles) and filled my tank for 75 cents less a gallon than the street price. That was cool!

There was a report about a woman smiling at a gas station pump!:D

pitc9
09-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Karen, I have the same thing here. Giant Eagle give you .10 cents off a gallon of gas for every $50 you spend. Once in a while they double it if you buy gift cards! That's when I go crazy!!

I've gotten as much as $2.10 off PER GALLON once when I filled up!

Gas around here (NE Ohio) is around $3.50-$3.70.

davidpizzica
09-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Karen, I have the same thing here. Giant Eagle give you .10 cents off a gallon of gas for every $50 you spend. Once in a while they double it if you buy gift cards! That's when I go crazy!!

I've gotten as much as $2.10 off PER GALLON once when I filled up!

Gas around here (NE Ohio) is around $3.50-$3.70.

The Giant Eagles work about the same way here in Pittsburgh. Gas here is between $3.50 and $3.63 a gallon. I was lucky enough to find a station that had it for $3.47 a gallon!

AllAmericanPUP
09-12-2008, 01:43 PM
it's 3.99 here:mad:

gemini9961
09-12-2008, 02:08 PM
I just filled up at $3.59. Filled up in Tampa, FL.

Hellow
09-12-2008, 02:45 PM
I thought they had refineries for the oil they get from Alaska? Anyways, hope that you get gas back soon!

P.S. You don't have gas companies to blame for the high gas prices. Blame OPEC, they are the ones who controls it all. But some of the high gas prices is reasonable, because Oil is becoming harder and harder to find on land, and they don't want to drill the ocean for risk of disrupting the natural wildlife.

Freedom
09-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Filled up yesterday for $3.51 per gallon.

The Weather Channel today, reporting on Ike, did say the refineries would be off line for at least a while. :(

Reggie, according to a recent Washington Post article, it is not OPEC but Sovereign Funds which caused the gasoline price spike; all done by speculators.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/11/AR2008081102462.html

lvpets2002
09-12-2008, 03:18 PM
:) Yes have refineries all over the place including Alaska.. Texas City & Port City that skirt tails Houston does have Several.. They call these two towns the mini rich communities.. My stepbrother is a head coach in Texas City High School..

chocolatepuppy
09-12-2008, 03:31 PM
I paid $3.50 a gallon this morning.

Animalhouse26
09-12-2008, 03:41 PM
It was 3.63 ish up to 3.72 depending on the station.. a cpl days ago. I am sure it is up now. :(
I am in Pinellas County Florida. I HATE this! We drive a Big SUV with 15 miles to a gallon.. ugh!

jazzcat
09-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Just came back from the vet and the gas station down the road is out of Unleaded and Plus and price on they had for the unleaded was $4.49.

At the vet's some people were saying that while in line for gas a station ran out and people started yelling and fighting. It's getting crazy around here.

I just wonder what it's going to be like tomorrow. It's the Univeristy of TN's home opener football game and they often have 100,000 in the stadium many of who drive long distances. There isn't going to be any gas. We had thought about going to the game but decided not to. I bet there will be a lot of cars with gas stolen out of the tanks tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Laura's Babies
09-12-2008, 04:43 PM
They said on our news last night that gas was going to jump up 1.50 a gallon, then another station said that was a rumor but people rushed out to fill up, causing a shortage, however they did say it was going to go up to around $4 a gallon at some stations, but not all of them. I haven't heard anyone say today rather it has jumped up any or not today but our attorney general has warned everybody, he IS watching for price gouging and they will be delt with accordingly. I am surprised to hear it is going up in Tennessee already so Lord help us here!

Due to all that is going on in the gulf, the price per barrell today has gone up.

RedHedd
09-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Price in San Francisco is DOWN to $3.93 for ss unleaded. I had paid as much as $4.49 in the past several months. Now, less than $4 sounds cheap.

kt_luvs_kitties
09-12-2008, 06:11 PM
It is 4.52 here, but the news said it will go up to 5.25 by tonight.

I had to wait 30 minutes last night at the pumps, and THEN it said you can only get 10 gallons at the time. I start to pump, and then did not feel any movement in the line, I pulled it out, and it was literally just dripping:mad:

By today, the local gas stations near my home are OUT of gas. None:(

My husband had to drive 30 minutes to find gas:eek:

Alysser
09-12-2008, 07:55 PM
It was $3.23 a few days ago. My mom filled up for $3.28. It said something on the news about going up to $4.90.

ramanth
09-12-2008, 08:37 PM
People were panicing here in MI. Long lines at stations, blocking intersections, and causing accidents. :eek: Madness!!

It was $3.95 last I saw.

cali
09-12-2008, 08:38 PM
yup, our gas is up to 1.45 a liter. thats a little over $5 a gallon US.

Twisterdog
09-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Gas has been about $4 per gallon here since spring.

Moesha
09-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Gas here was $3.59 last night and $4.10 this morning. I was able to get 10 gallons for $3.53 this afternoon when I took Percy to his new home. I filled up the rest of the way for $3.79 with 5% off at BP. I also got 5% off of the first batch of gas with my Discover card.

Grace
09-12-2008, 09:57 PM
People were panicing here in MI. Long lines at stations, blocking intersections, and causing accidents. :eek: Madness!!

It was $3.95 last I saw.

Did you see the Governor's remarks at 6pm? She said there had been unconfirmed reports of $6/gal from Kalamazoo and Grass Lake. She gave an 800 number to call if you have actually seen those prices. The state will prosecute for gouging. They did, successfully, after the black-out from 2003.

When I bought gas this morning there was only one other pump being used. Hubby filled up this afternoon - no big deal, no lines.

It was $3.69 here just a couple of days ago; went up to $3.89 overnight; then to $3.99 here in Dexter this afternoon. I heard it had gone to $4.49 in Chelsea.

slick
09-12-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm up near Vancouver, BC Canada and it hasn't hit us yet. I filled up tonight for $1.31/litre which is roughly $4.95/gallon. Hey, that's cheap for us.

slick
09-13-2008, 08:07 PM
I went out this afternoon to pick up a few groceries and the price at the pump is now $1.51/litre. It jumped 20 cents overnight. I'm sure glad I filled up last night.

Moesha
09-13-2008, 08:28 PM
AAA says the average price of a gallon of gas in the US went up 6 cents today. Sure wish that was all it was here, more than 50 cents overnight just isn't fair.

kt_luvs_kitties
09-13-2008, 09:49 PM
It went up to 5.49 last night, BUT today it is 3.99-4.52 again:o

Sirrahsim
09-14-2008, 06:28 AM
We filled up in Virginia Beach yesterday for $3.49.

Ginger's Mom
09-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Well, knock wood, we don't seem to be having a huge problem here in NJ. Yesterday it was $3.21, I just looked on-line and it was $3.45. A big jump, but I am not hearing about any shortages nor long lines.

ramanth
09-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Did you see the Governor's remarks at 6pm? She said there had been unconfirmed reports of $6/gal from Kalamazoo and Grass Lake. She gave an 800 number to call if you have actually seen those prices. The state will prosecute for gouging.
I missed the report, but I can imagine how people misunderstood and thought gas WAS going to be $6/gal.

My sister who works in Jackson told me how a coworker came running in stating it would be going up to $6 and that everyone needed to go get gas now. Linn said half the department went scrambling to fill up. My sister didn't and she had coworkers furious with her. :eek:

It's been between $4.19 - $4.27 between East Lansing and Williamston.

Not so much scrambling today. :rolleyes:

Casper
09-15-2008, 07:39 AM
I gassed up on Friday due to a request from my mum to do so. A trip that normally takes me 5 minutes took 45! Long lines and people blocking the entrance of the gas stations while trying to get in... resulting in those ready to leave being stuck. A few gas stations ran out of gas and one had to call the police because of a fight. Who knew such entertainment could break out in this small town in the middle of nowhere!
I filled up for $3.85, if I remember right. A 40 cent jump from the day before.

smokey the elder
09-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Gas has only gone up 10 cents or so, depending on the station. There are some where it didn't budge, others where it went up 20c. I think we get our gas from New Jersey refineries, which may cushion some of the blow.

jazzcat
09-15-2008, 10:56 AM
The gas stations that have gas near me are at $4.99! :mad:

I can't believe the rep from Pilot Co. was on acting like this is not price gouging! :mad::mad: There are a few station in Knoxville charging $5.09 as of yesterday.

At these prices it costs me $20 a trip just to go check on my Dad.

Moesha
09-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Well gas prices came down a little bit here this week, but now gas stations are just completely out of gas. I was just watching the news from Nashville. There are only a handful of gas stations with gas and those have lines up to 2 hours long!! They showed 2 stations that received gas deliveries this morning and are now empty. I heard on the radio that more gas is on its way, being diverted from the north to Middle TN. They also said that Knoxville and East TN weren't affected like this because their gas pipeline comes from somewhere else. I guess it is from Houston to Atlanta to Nashville. I also saw that in Knoxville where it was over $5 last weekend it is now back to around $3.69. Are you getting any relief jazzcat?

jazzcat
09-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Are you getting any relief jazzcat?
Yes thank goodness. We dropped from $5 on Saturday and Sunday to $3.49 yesterday. We have plenty of gas here now too. Good thing since the big Tennessee/Florida game is here tomorrow.