PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Ike -All safe!

Scooter's Mom
09-10-2008, 10:51 PM
My brother near Houston called. His county is under a mandatory evacuation. Tomorrow morning he is putting boards on the half a million windows in his house (there's a lot) and his wife is getting the girls ready to get out. They will leave around 2pm or so from what he just told me.

My dad is in Harris County. No mandatory evac called (yet). This is where Houston is. I am begging him to leave with my brother...

My grandma is also in Harris County. She hired one of those ambulance services after Hurricane Rita. I don't know when they will get her and her neighbors out - all are mid 80's and older... I am scared for them.

Katjaye, from here on the board, and her family are unsure so far. They may head up to Dallas. Two of their kitties used to be mine, and are elderly (Twinkie and Cassie were both born in 1995, so they're 13+).

The rest of my family - I haven't contacted yet. They are all further inland, so they will probably stay.

Please pray for them all to be safe and for them to make it through Ike with minimal damage.

Thank you.

Laura's Babies
09-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Prayers for everyone in the path of that storm! They are scarey dangerous storms and had it come our way, I would have gotten out after my Gustav experience. We are suppose to start getting rain from it today. It is a BIG storm!

pitc9
09-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Prayes for everyone that is in Ike's path.

smokey the elder
09-11-2008, 10:02 AM
The Caribbean and the Gulf are just getting walloped this year. I hope that everyone can get out of harm's way.

Karen
09-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Everyone in Ike's path will be in our prayers, that they stay safe and loved ones are secure.

lvpets2002
09-11-2008, 11:42 AM
:love: Yes I as well am worried about Ike's path.. Thats going to hit very powerfull.. My stepbrother & family live in Texas City which is right on the coast line where the oil refineries are.. They have already gotten out.. I feel for everyone in the path.. Some of our local rescuer's have headed to Houston to get all the animals out of the shelters to bring them on up here.. We are just to get rain & some wind.. Lots Prayers being sent.. God Bless Them All..

momoffuzzyfaces
09-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Prayers on the way from me for sure!!!

We will get some of the rain and maybe some of the wind way up here in Kansas. Nothing like you all near the coast will get for sure!!! Even my kitties are crossing their paws for you all.

phesina
09-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Prayers for all, of all species, in the storm's way..

molucass
09-11-2008, 01:48 PM
My parents don't want to leave once again. They have already called for a mandatory evacuation. We are in the Beaumont/Port Arthur area of Texas, and I am really worried.. But they say we are going to stay.
I told them I don't think this one is going to be like Gustav where people evacuated and then nothing happened in our area.
Even though it doesn't look like its going to hit right here but more towards Galveston/Houston, we are going to be on the bad side of it, and will be getting A LOT of water/wind.

Prayers being sent out for everyone in the path of this storm.. And prayers that everyones houses will be ok when they are able to return. I hope everyone stays safe.

Scooter's Mom
09-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Current update:
My dad is going to be heading over to Katjaye's to have a little "higher ground" to ride out the storm.

My big worry is my brother in Rosharon. He hasn't left yet. Says he's waiting 'til nighttime so the girls will sleep through the drive. His house is under a MANDATORY evacuation. He has to go or they won't help him. If it was just my brother I would shake my head and say, "Well, he IS stubborn." But they are playing with and possibly endangering the lives of my three nieces. That, to me, is inexcusable. They need to GET OUT.

Ok, I got that out of my system... worrying about my family is stressful.

Good luck to everyone in the path of this storm.

Laura's Babies
09-11-2008, 03:30 PM
We are going to get tropical force winds and rain tomorrow here near Baton Rouge. They are warning us (as was my fear all along) that the trees already weakened from Gustav may fall and some of us will be without power again. We are getting rain bands today and some wind. There are a couple of trees around my house that worry me, one is a real tall pine tree that I was surprised to see still standing after Gustav.

I talked to my dispatcher today and she told me not to worry, just stay home and take care of things here. She admitted this is a lot easier than getting me off the boat and getting me home should something happen here. I am to call in Monday and let her know if I can get to the boat then. I sure hope so!! I am realy for a normal boring life again!

molucass
09-11-2008, 05:52 PM
If it was just my brother I would shake my head and say, "Well, he IS stubborn." But they are playing with and possibly endangering the lives of my three nieces. That, to me, is inexcusable. They need to GET OUT.

That is pretty bad.. Like you said, if anything he needs to get out for the kids.

My sister is evacuating with my niece, but they were unable to get any reservations anywhere up in north texas... So they got one in New Orleans of all places. I personally think its quite stupid to go to New Orleans. As big as the storm is, the storm surges off the storm are probably still going to get New Orleans.

We are staying here with my parents, the dogs & cat, and Brynn. My sister offered to take Brynn with them, but I don't think she would be any safer there than she would be here, so she's staying with me. My daughters life is more important than my own, so I will make sure I do anything possible to protect her.

--edited to add:
Our neighbors are leaving their cats here, outside.. When we got home a little while ago they had left a note on our door, and left a bag of cat food on the porch saying "We are evacuating, and can't take our cats.. We knew you guys were going to stay here, so please feed our cats for us if you can. We are leaving them outside." :(
When we talked to them earlier, they said they were going to stay with some of their family in Austin.. I'm sorry, but if you are going to stay with family, tell them you are bringing your cats and leave it at that.. Don't leave them where you know a storm is going to hit.

Scooter's Mom
09-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Ike is gearing up to make landfall soon - tonight or tomorrow morning.

Today at work is going to be so long.

Daisy and Delilah
09-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Thoughts and prayers going out to everybody. Please stay safe and check in when possible.

Laura's Babies
09-12-2008, 10:45 AM
We are getting some wind now (Just outside Baton Rouge.), 25-35mph and possiably gusts up to 55mph. I woke up to no power this morning (meaning no coffee), but it is back on now.

Rie said they have been up since 1:30am. The weather got real bad then and they could hear the drip, drip, drip in the celing in the dinning room. Her husband put a ice chect up in the attic to catch that drip. He stayed home today to tend to anything that needs tending to.

I had a friend call me from Pensacola, Florida last night and he said they have closed Santa Rosa Island because they are having 20 foot seas over there.

I am stayin home and praying no trees fall here. Giz and Boo are extreemly nervous and have spent some time hiding in the kitchen cabinets. I would just hate to have to move them again so soon after Gustav.

IKE! IKE! GO AWAY! Prayers for Texas are still flowing from here! May you all stay safe and God watch over you.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Prayers flying from me for everyone in this storms path. Galveston is really getting hammered! :(

Felicia's Mom
09-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Sending prayers to everyone in the path of Hurricane Ike.:eek:

boomersooner
09-12-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm 300 miles away in Dallas, and we are supposed to get tons of rain and wind from Ike. I think the path will take Ike a little east of us, so we won't get hammered as bad as east Texas from it. It is huge storm. I heard today that the eye is 90 miles wide!!!

Karen
09-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Still thinking of all of you being affected by Ike. Check in when you can, okay?

chocolatepuppy
09-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Prayers for everyone in the path of Ike.

catfamily
09-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Prayers going strong for everyone in harms way.
Now it is saying that all rescue workers are leaving and there
will be noone answering any help me calls.
also said that it is manditory that people that stayed behind where social security ID's on their arms!

AllAmericanPUP
09-12-2008, 07:32 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/09/12/hurricane.ike.texas/index.html

Weather service warns of 'certain death' in face of Ike
Sept. 12, 2008
8:15 am

HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) -- Residents along Galveston Bay in Texas "face certain death" if they don't leave home before Hurricane Ike roars ashore, the National Weather Service warns.

Rarely do forecasters use such forceful language.

The last time they did was three years ago as Hurricane Katrina closed in on New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.

Forecasters expect Ike, a Category 2 storm, to strengthen before its center makes landfall late Friday or early Saturday. The storm is so big that it fills most of the Gulf of Mexico.

Roughly 3.5 million people live in the storm's impact zone, according to federal estimates.

The weather service painted a vivid picture in its warning of the destruction it expects: a towering wall of water, possibly up to 22 feet high, crashing over the Galveston Bay shoreline as the brunt of Ike comes ashore. That wall of water could send floodwaters surging into Houston, more than 20 miles inland.

"All neighborhoods ... and possibly entire coastal communities ... will be inundated during the peak storm tide," the weather service warned. "Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single family one- or two-story homes will face certain death."....

....Still, not everyone was heeding the weather service warnings.

"I've decided not to evacuate," said iReporter Matteu Erchull on Galveston Island. "We have a lot of faith in the seawall, and we have boards on the windows. Most people on the island live on second or third stories, so they don't have to worry about the water so much.

"The actual stores down here ran out of sand so we took some ice bags and filled them with sand from the beach," he said....

I was in Hurricane Camille in 1969...in the process of getting the heck out and still got hit by her. It was like being in an F-5 tornado that would not stop!!

Scooter's Mom
09-12-2008, 08:41 PM
My brother and his girls are in San Antonio.
The service my granny signed on with never picked her up. But we didn't know that until everyone was gone.

She's 84, can barely walk and is ALONE in a fairly flood prone area...
I am beside myself with worry. Please, please... say a prayer for my granny.

She is very religious. She says she is comfortable with the fact that she is at her house... I've been crying all night. Nobody can go get her now, and I'm 1200 miles away. Her name is Juanita.

Karen
09-12-2008, 09:22 PM
We'll keep your grandma in our prayers. Does her house have a second floor?

Scooter's Mom
09-12-2008, 09:51 PM
We'll keep your grandma in our prayers. Does her house have a second floor?

No. :(
It's a wood frame house, 950 sq ft., that was built in 1956. It has survived hurricanes before, of even greater magnitude than this... but it's the flooding I'm so worried about.

I'm watching some of the traffic cams in the area until they stop functioning. My husband says I'm obsessing. I've always been really close to my granny... and just cannot bear the thought of her alone during this storm.

Emeraldgreen
09-12-2008, 10:02 PM
No. :(
It's a wood frame house, 950 sq ft., that was built in 1956. It has survived hurricanes before, of even greater magnitude than this... but it's the flooding I'm so worried about.

I'm watching some of the traffic cams in the area until they stop functioning. My husband says I'm obsessing. I've always been really close to my granny... and just cannot bear the thought of her alone during this storm.

I'm so sorry to hear that your grandmother is still at her house without a way to get out. I do not think you are obsessing at all!! She is family and I would be worried too. I'm praying that someone can help her soon. And if she is unable to leave, praying that her home will not become flooded and that she will be safe. Please keep us updated. {{{hugs}}}

Scooter's Mom
09-12-2008, 10:08 PM
My husband just lectured me on how "ridiculous" I am being.
I think that now is not a good time for him to be a jerk, when the lives of my family ... almost my entire family at that ... are at risk due to this hurricane.

*sigh*

AllAmericanPUP
09-12-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm sorry your grandmother is still at her house and I'm sorry your husband is a jerk, sometimes people don't know how hard terrifying it is until they are in your shoes.
I hope your grandmother is fine and will make it through this:love:

Karen
09-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Tell Grandma that if the water starts coming in, do her best to move a chair with arms and a pillow and blanket into the tub, as it will keep water out as long as it doesn't get higher than the tub walls. Staying dry is a priority at her age. Tell her we'll be praying for her!

cyber-sibes
09-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Prayers for everyone in Ike's path, and especially for your Granny Juanita, I truly pray she'll be safe. The reports on tv look bad, I'll be praying for those kitties that were left outside, too.

Scooter's Mom
09-13-2008, 06:28 AM
I lost phone contact (texting) with my dad and Katjaye around 3 hours ago.
I am unable to sleep.

Ike has not weakened; the weather channel said it has strengthened slightly since making landfall!

I am asking again for prayers for my family and all in the path of this storm.

edit: Just after I posted this, Katjaye got a text to me. They are okay (her, my dad, my ex, etc.). No word on my granny yet.
Pray for no flooding.

Daisy and Delilah
09-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Reports this morning are looking bad. I am still keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers. They said there are over 2 million people without power. :(:(:(

phesina
09-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Thinking of and praying for you all.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Prayers are on the way from me too.

Millions are without power. They are saying it may take weeks or even months to get it completely back on. :(

Catty1
09-13-2008, 12:11 PM
The only good news I've read is that the surge won't be as high as originally feared. :(

PRAYERS for all affected by Ike, near and far.

pomtzu
09-13-2008, 01:36 PM
I've been watching the coverage on MSNBC all day. It's terrible! Galveston especially, looks like another New Orleans all over again, tho on a smaller scale. I hope all PTer's loved ones and friends and their pets are all safe. You can replace material items lost, but never a life. Prayers to all.

slick
09-13-2008, 08:27 PM
I just now saw on the news the destruction caused by Ike. I just don't know how anyone left behind could survive....it totally baffles me.

I'm praying for everyone.

Scooter's Mom
09-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Still unable to reach my grandmother. :(

Medusa
09-14-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm sorry that I'm just now seeing this thread. I will do a special candle lighting for Grandma Juanita and all of you. Keep the faythe. :love:

Catty1
09-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Prayers for Grandmother Juanita.

Can you check with any of the rescue orgs? There were some doing rescue in the last couple of days.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Scooter's Mom
09-14-2008, 11:15 AM
I have been trying to contact the local police dept. but their phones are not working either.

I've got a call in to my uncle about 1.5 hours away, surely he will be able to find out something...

My dad is anxious to go home. He wants to check on his food and stuff.... The power in his area has been out (according to reports) since Friday around 10:45 pm... He's going to have to get rid of his entire month's worth of groceries. He is retired and only does one major shopping trip per month - and he did it at the beginning of last week. So he's lost 3 weeks of food. I told him I would send money to reimburse him for the food, so he shouldn't worry about it. I don't have the money, but will get it somewhere. I will not let my dad go without. Not after all the years he worked so hard to make sure I did not go without.

Scooter's Mom
09-14-2008, 02:01 PM
My dad chanced it and went home... from Cypress (NW side of Houston) to Pasadena (SE side of Houston).

His house is Okay, just downed tree limbs. But the BEST news is, he called me on his cell phone from my Grandmothers house... She is okay too!

WOOHOO! That is the biggest relief. I can breathe again.

Medusa
09-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Whew, what a relief! I'm sure you'll get some sleep tonight, huh?

Scooter's Mom
09-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Whew, what a relief! I'm sure you'll get some sleep tonight, huh?

No kidding. Sleep has definitely been sporadic the last few nights.

Molucass is in the Beaumont/Port Arthur area. I know they were inundated with rain and some heavy flooding. Hope she checks in soon, too!

phesina
09-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Oh, that's just wonderful, thank God. I'm so happy for you.

Continuing prayers for everyone else affected by this storm.

Catty1
09-14-2008, 06:41 PM
THANK YOU GOD for looking after Grandma Juanita! :):love:

PLEASE look after everyone else, and especially molucass!:love::love:

Daisy and Delilah
09-15-2008, 10:03 AM
I remember the last time Cori went through a hurricane(Rita I think). I was worried sick about them. Eventually they checked in. Cori, We hope you and Robin and all the crew are okay. Check in when possible. The reports we're getting from Texas are horrendous.

Do we have any PT'ers from the Galveston area? My heart goes out to all of you that were in the path of that storm.

sammy101
09-15-2008, 05:40 PM
My mom was right in Ikes path. She was by herself through the whole storm and I feel terrible. She has the dogs and the neighbors but still. She lives in northeast Houston and they have no power at all. The phones aren't even back up yet. I haven't talked to her since Friday so one of my friends is going to check on her for me. I'm going to Houston on Friday so I'm not too sure what things are going to be like. Galveston got hammered. I love that place and I hope there isn't too much damage.
From texting with my friends, there isn't too much damage. Just fallen tree's and all that.
When Rita hit Houston we had no power for almost 3 days.

Scooter's Mom
09-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Molucass, check in when you can. I'm worried. Hoping you're okay, but just without power!

So many places from my childhood memories are just... gone. My dad has yet to see the full impact of the devastation as his power is not restored yet. I told him some of the news stories, but until he SEES the photos, it will not fully impact him.

My family used to go to Crystal Beach when I was a child. It's almost totally gone. I saved these photos from www.chron.com (The Houston Chronicle).
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/Crystal_1972/CrystalBeachsidebyside.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/Crystal_1972/CrystalBeachsidebyside2.jpg

People need our prayers and support. The destruction left behind... it's unbelievable. I am afraid the death toll will reach a very high number.

gini
09-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Thank God everyone in your family is alright. These photos make me feel so helpless. It must be so tragic to return and find your home completely gone.

Thank God your Grandmother is alright as well. What a horrible worry.
I can only offer you my prayers - and prayers for all who have lost so much.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Check in soon, Cori. =[ We love you!

molucass
09-23-2008, 06:07 PM
This is the first time I have had access to a computer.. Our power finally came back on after a week or so, but we still had no phone, internet, or cable.. Today is the first day they turned that back on.

My parents house has A LOT of roof damage. The ceiling in my sister room collapsed, and we are just waiting for it to collapse in my parents room as well.. The front bathroom was leaking, and ALL of the bedrooms were leaking. My niece's room started midewing just a day or two after the storm..
The night/morning of the storm I didn't get any sleep. My room is upstairs, and I just sat up there listening to the roof come off, and tornadoes roaring around out there.. Thankfully the tree we thought for sure would fall on our house didn't fall at all. It was coming out of the ground.. Moving up and down, and now you can see the roots. Our air conditioner didn't work after the power finally came back on, so we are still as hot as we were with no power, but we are all ok, and all of our pets are safe.. So that is the most important thing.

My dad has a shop over at the house we are supposed to move in to, and we put our car in there thinking it would be safer. My mom has lived here all of her life, and its never flooded where that house is... The shop is on the lower part of the land, so thankfully the shop was the only thing that flooded. The house had no damage what-so-ever. We had 4 ft. of water in the car... The car is completely totaled, and a lot of stuff that we had stored in the trunk is also ruined.

We were able to survive on a generator.. It was a small one though, so we could only run the fridge, 2 freezers, and a couple fans.

Before we got our power back on, we stocked up on water (also some of my moms friends gave us some), ice, & MRE's from various people offering them to people who needed them.. But our boil-water notice was lifted, so I donated all but 2 of the tons of cases of water to our local humane society, which is in Beaumont where the boil-water was lifted just a couple of days ago.. I donated at least 15 cases of water, and a couple of jugs of water as well. I've been spending my days up there volunteering to help out.. They have piranahas, horses, cats, birds, swans, guinea pigs, etc.. You name it.. Normally they just have dogs/cats. It makes me feel good to donate my time to the animals, rather than sitting at home going crazy. It's also very very sad to see these dogs that were peoples pets, wondering why their family left them, and how they ended up in such a strange place. It truly does break my heart to see them scared, and upset because of what they have been through.

I have a lot more I need to say, but I need to go for now. Glad to hear everyone is safe. Hopefully I will be able to add more soon..
Also, thank you everyone for your prayers, and for thinking of us. We appreciate it so much.

gini
09-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Thank you for checking in - and THANK GOD everyone is alright. "Things"
can be repaired and replaced slowly - but not your lives.

How wonderful that you are helping out at the Humane Society. I know that each of those animals feels there is an angel among them.

Catty1
09-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Good to hear from you!

With all the damage, the power out, and just all the craziness...there were good people helping each other out.

I imagine it will be a while before people can collect themselves - and even have a place to put them - before they can even try to locate their missing pets.

More prayers to your family, and everyone else there.

Scooter's Mom
09-23-2008, 08:30 PM
I am so relieved that you checked in! ((Hugs)) for all you have gone through. I know my dad and grandmother said it got pretty rough!

My dad and other family got their power back on last night. Katjaye had her birthday yesterday and she said it was the best birthday present she could have gotten!