PDA

View Full Version : Obama and the Palin Effect by Deepak Chopra

Catty1
09-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Obama and the Palin Effect

by Deepak Chopra

Sometimes politics has the uncanny effect of mirroring the national psyche even when nobody intended to do that. This is perfectly illustrated by the rousing effect that Gov. Sarah Palin had on the Republican convention in Minneapolis this week. On the surface, she outdoes former Vice President Dan Quayle as an unlikely choice, given her negligent parochial expertise in the complex affairs of governing. Her state of Alaska has less than 700,000 residents, which reduces the job of governor to the scale of running one-tenth of New York City. By comparison, Rudy Giuliani is a towering international figure. Palin's pluck has been admired, and her forthrightness, but her real appeal goes deeper.

She is the reverse of Barack Obama, in essence his shadow, deriding his idealism and turning negativity into a cause for pride. In psychological terms the shadow is that part of the psyche that hides out of sight, countering our aspirations, virtue, and vision with qualities we are ashamed to face: anger, fear, revenge, violence, selfishness, and suspicion of "the other." For millions of Americans, Obama triggers those feelings, but they don't want to express them. He is calling for us to reach for our higher selves, and frankly, that stirs up hidden reactions of an unsavory kind. (Just to be perfectly clear, I am not making a verbal play out of the fact that Sen. Obama is black. The shadow is a metaphor widely in use before his arrival on the scene.) I recognize that psychological analysis of politics is usually not welcome by the public, but I believe such a perspective can be helpful here to understand Palin's message. In her acceptance speech Gov. Palin sent a rousing call to those who want to celebrate their resistance to change and a higher vision

Look at what she stands for:

* Small town values — a nostaligic return to simpler times disguises a denial of America's global role, a return to petty, small-minded parochialism.
* Ignorance of world affairs — a repudiation of the need to repair America's image abroad.
* Family values — a code for walling out anybody who makes a claim for social justice. Such strangers, being outside the family, don't need to be needed.
* Rigid stands on guns and abortion — a scornful repudiation that these issues can be negotiated with those who disagree.
* Patriotism — the usual fallback in a failed war.
* "Reform" — an italicized term, since in addition to cleaning out corruption and excessive spending, one also throws out anyone who doesn't fit your ideology.

Palin reinforces the overall message of the reactionary right, which has been in play since 1980, that social justice is liberal-radical, that minorities and immigrants, being different from "us" pure American types, can be ignored, that progressivism takes too much effort and globalism is a foreign threat. The radical right marches under the banners of "I'm all right, Jack," and "Why change? Everything's OK as it is." The irony, of course, is that Gov. Palin is a woman and a reactionary at the same time. She can add mom to apple pie on her resume, while blithely reversing forty years of feminist progress. The irony is superficial; there are millions of women who stand on the side of conservatism, however obviously they are voting against their own good. The Republicans have won multiple national elections by raising shadow issues based on fear, rejection, hostility to change, and narrow-mindedness

Obama's call for higher ideals in politics can't be seen in a vacuum. The shadow is real; it was bound to respond. Not just conservatives possess a shadow — we all do. So what comes next is a contest between the two forces of progress and inertia. Will the shadow win again, or has its furtive appeal become exhausted? No one can predict. The best thing about Gov. Palin is that she brought this conflict to light, which makes the upcoming debate honest. It would be a shame to elect another Reagan, whose smiling persona was a stalking horse for the reactionary forces that have brought us to the demoralized state we are in. We deserve to see what we are getting, without disguise.

http://www.chopra.com/wordsfromdeepak

Twisterdog
09-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Dead on, as is most everything by Deepak Chopra .

phesina
09-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Ooooooh, dead-on, I agree.

I bet the fact that Deepak Chopra doesn't like her for VP and why will be another mark in her favor with her supporters!

rosethecopycat
09-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Ooooooh, dead-on, I agree.

I bet the fact that Deepak Chopra doesn't like her for VP and why will be another mark in her favor with her supporters!

DEAD ON!
You nailed it. I've never heard such gobbledygook as from that Deepak guy.
Of course, he's laughing all the way to the bank. I guess he is smarter than me. :rolleyes:

Give me a straight forward speaking person any day!

"higher vision" "reach for our higher selves" "higher ideals" --- all BS.

Let's get down to business and find some solutions.

The second from last paragraph from Deepak really slammed some words into her mouth: "us" pure American types.
SERIOUSLY! :rolleyes:
:eek:

As far as Reagan and the perceived 'demoralized' state of the country, he was the best president in the modern age, and brought us out of the cold war. hummmmm?

The true shame would be not another Reagan, but another mealy mouth Jimmy Carter.

Deepak should go 'align his chakras" some more, and leave the business of the country to the straight thinkers.

And this from a guy who has at least 3 books on Lucky Cards. :rolleyes::p:D:D

RICHARD
09-16-2008, 12:17 PM
DEAD ON!
You nailed it. I've never heard such gobbledygook as from that Deepak guy.

Give me a straight forward speaking person any day!

"higher vision" "reach for our higher selves" "higher ideals" --- all BS.

Let's get down to business and find some solutions.

Please,

Don't laugh about his beliefs or chakras.

I believe in the power of crystals and healing.

Why, I had my familiy "crystals" in hand, this morning during my shower.:rolleyes:

(Can you send me a Cliff's Notes version of that?);)

Catty1
09-16-2008, 02:44 PM
If anyone thinks that psychology and the election have nothing to do with each other, then just look at 'spins' and 'media tricks' and wonder why they work on the dumb masses (present company excluded, of course!).

rosethecopycat
09-16-2008, 04:55 PM
If anyone thinks that psychology and the election have nothing to do with each other, then just look at 'spins' and 'media tricks' and wonder why they work on the dumb masses (present company excluded, of course!).

Oh, I believe you!
:eek::p

Freedom
09-16-2008, 09:14 PM
I always enjoyed Chopra's programs on PBS. I have one of his books around here somewhere . . . . I wasn't aware he had moved into applications for the masses. When I was following him, he was working at the individual level. Interesting! M. Scott Peck did the same thing, started at the individual level and over the years started working at the community level, as well.

I happen to agree with Chopra's comments given above; great insight!

RICHARD
09-17-2008, 12:55 AM
'media tricks'

OOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!:D

tranquill
09-17-2008, 11:14 AM
It's interesting how the Israelis view Obama. He receives much support
both from Jewish liberals and arguably the right-wing AIPAC, but his
middle name bothers Israelis a lot. Also, there are doubts whether he is
really a Muslim apostate. Here is an article which analyzes Obama's
similarity to early Zionists:
http://samsonblinded.org/blog/obama-against-jewishness.htm What do you think of the parallels?

Lady's Human
09-17-2008, 11:46 AM
I have no idea why you posted that here, tranquil, but that site is gibberish. It's not even coherent anti-obama fear mongering.

kitten645
09-17-2008, 12:02 PM
"I have no idea why you posted that here, tranquil, but that site is gibberish. It's not even coherent anti-obama fear mongering."

I have to agree here :rolleyes: Furthermore, what intelligent person bases their political thoughts on a middle name?? :confused::rolleyes:

I completely agree with the first post as well. Deepak Chopra is eloquent and intelligent. Two qualities that clearly intimidate alot of people.

Claudia

caseysmom
09-17-2008, 12:03 PM
It's interesting how the Israelis view Obama. He receives much support
both from Jewish liberals and arguably the right-wing AIPAC, but his
middle name bothers Israelis a lot. Also, there are doubts whether he is
really a Muslim apostate. Here is an article which analyzes Obama's
similarity to early Zionists:
http://samsonblinded.org/blog/obama-against-jewishness.htm What do you think of the parallels?

Lovely first post :D

rosethecopycat
09-17-2008, 02:14 PM
"I have no idea why you posted that here, tranquil, but that site is gibberish. It's not even coherent anti-obama fear mongering."

Deepak Chopra is eloquent and intelligent. Two qualities that clearly intimidate alot of people.

Claudia

I agree with the first part about gibberish.

And Deepak does not intimidate me in the slightest.
I've got a mind like a steel trap compared to that guy and his 'metaphysical' stuff.

Wonder what my lucky card is today......Richard, can you help?

RICHARD
09-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Wonder what my lucky card is today......Richard, can you help?

Let me put my crystals down.:confused:

QUEEN OF DIAMONDS? I don't do Tarot.:eek:

------------------

Let me try and explain Seapak Oprah's view..

THe shadow represents the area there no light shows because that person is literally standing in the sun on a day when there is sunlight. Sarah Palin represents the sunlight in the political arena long clouded with darkness from the men and their ideals (this is not to say that SP represents whtie people and BO represents shade)

Obama's shadow is one you may see at DIsneyland. Representative of a tall person with a Mickey Mouse set of ears on.

His shadow and how tall it is cast is only a sign of where the sun is in relation to the earth, the time of day and how many clouds are in the air at any moment.

Clouds, based on their water content, may produce rain and/or thunderstorms, sleet, hail, snow. The snow, which is white, represents not the whiteness of Alaskan snow, But of snow blindness or looking into an empty freezer that has frost built up on the sides.

The Right reactionary Left handed Zealots, may align themselves in the middle of the road in order to pass any traffic that blocks the far left and right hand sides of the road. Pedestrians may want to be careful not to cross in the middle of the street when any Democratic and Rebuplican vehicles race down the road, oblivious of anyone not seen because the lower VISOR in their way.

---------

I know I can write a convoluted post about politcis that some people don't understand, BUT I HOPE that I cannot' take myself as serious others do.

Smartness only works when you see how stupid you look and sound at times.:(

Now, to find the Time Masheen.

Lady's Human
09-17-2008, 02:51 PM
It's not a time masheen, remember.....it's the WABAC machine!!!

RICHARD
09-17-2008, 02:59 PM
It's not a time masheen, remember.....it's the WABAC machine!!!

Oh....

Mr.Peabody is somewhere in the house! And Did Sherman ever have to pick up after him?:D

Larry Harmon for president?

Lady's Human
09-17-2008, 03:05 PM
I don't know, I'll have to ask his pet boy Sherman the next time I see him.

RICHARD
09-17-2008, 03:21 PM
I guess I can stop yelling, "Help Me Mr. Wizard!" when I get into trouble?:eek:

rosethecopycat
09-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Let me put my crystals down.:confused:

QUEEN OF DIAMONDS? I don't do Tarot.:eek:

------------------

Let me try and explain Seapak Oprah's view..

THe shadow represents the area there no light shows because that person is literally standing in the sun on a day when there is sunlight. Sarah Palin represents the sunlight in the political arena long clouded with darkness from the men and their ideals (this is not to say that SP represents whtie people and BO represents shade)

Obama's shadow is one you may see at DIsneyland. Representative of a tall person with a Mickey Mouse set of ears on.

His shadow and how tall it is cast is only a sign of where the sun is in relation to the earth, the time of day and how many clouds are in the air at any moment.

Clouds, based on their water content, may produce rain and/or thunderstorms, sleet, hail, snow. The snow, which is white, represents not the whiteness of Alaskan snow, But of snow blindness or looking into an empty freezer that has frost built up on the sides.

The Right reactionary Left handed Zealots, may align themselves in the middle of the road in order to pass any traffic that blocks the far left and right hand sides of the road. Pedestrians may want to be careful not to cross in the middle of the street when any Democratic and Rebuplican vehicles race down the road, oblivious of anyone not seen because the lower VISOR in their way.

---------

Now it's perfectly clear.

BO is a sundial, and is very, very tall, especially with the MM ears on. I am at street level, at Disneyland, laying in the street. If I change position, the cast of the clouds presents new shadows and I may be in the light or the shadow depending on my higher self and ideals. Time, itself, is altered, as viewed from my vantage point with the political VISOR on. And, Sarah Palin is still really, really white.

And exactly who is John Galt?

RICHARD
09-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Now it's perfectly clear.

BO is a sundial, and is very, very tall, especially with the MM ears on. I am at street level, at Disneyland, laying in the street. If I change position, the cast of the clouds presents new shadows and I may be in the light or the shadow depending on my higher self and ideals. Time, itself, is altered, as viewed from my vantage point with the political VISOR on. And, Sarah Palin is still really, really white.

And exactly who is John Galt?

And with each passing day the media plays more paid commercials from the candidates leading to an Ad Visor that blinds everyone.

The Teacup ride will make you throw up, Tomorrowland is really Todayland and the Pirates of the Carribean ride is politically incorrect. Pirates never raped or pillaged anyone.

Sarah Palin in not really white, she is fair skinned and John Galt was a 7 time Jeopardy champion, not the rabblerouser that Rand portrayed him to be.

RICHARD
09-17-2008, 07:54 PM
The radical right marches under the banners of "I'm all right, Jack," and "Why change? Everything's OK as it is."

I'm all right Jack keep your hands off my stack.
Money it's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good bullshiat
I'm in the hi-fidelity first class traveling set
And I think I need a Lear jet
Money it's a crime
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie
Money so they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a rise it's no surprise that they're
giving none away
-rw

I thought I had heard that line somewhere before.....You think the 'change' comment is somehow relate to money?

I smell plagarism.;)