PDA

View Full Version : Is your cat worth $5 million?

Randi
09-08-2002, 11:35 AM
I found this by chance on CNN recently. I will make no comment, but thought perhaps you might be interested!

Airline sued for $5 million over lost cat
August 29, 2002 Posted: 9:07 PM EDT (0107 GMT)

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- A couple sued Air Canada for $5 million, claiming the airline lost their tabby cat during a flight from Canada to California.

Andrew Wysotski and Lori Learmont, formerly of Oshawa, Ontario, traveled to San Francisco with their 15-year-old cat, Fu, and four other cats last August.

They claim Air Canada, its cargo-handling company and San Francisco International Airport personnel are guilty of negligence, negligent infliction of emotional distress, fraud and false advertising.

"It's not about the money," Wysotski said. "It's more the attention to the problem than the money."

The August 16 filing in Superior Court said the couple got airline-approved plastic crates for the cats before they boarded the flight at Pearson International Airport, outside Toronto, Canada.

Upon arrival in San Francisco, Fu's crate had a large hole in a corner, the front door was broken and open, and the cat was gone, the claim said.

An Air Canada spokeswoman said that because of pending litigation, it "will confine its comments to legal proceedings."

The couple's attorney is David Blatte, an animal rights lawyer who represented a couple in their fight to save Hera, one of two dogs that attacked and killed a woman in front of her San Francisco apartment

John

Former User
09-08-2002, 12:31 PM
"It's not about the money," Wysotski said. "It's more the attention to the problem than the money."

Okay, if it's not about the money, where did this $5 million come up then? :confused:
I feel for them for losing their cat though....

Kirsten
09-08-2002, 01:34 PM
Hard to say... You can not set a life off against money. I can understand the couple's decision though - it would have broken my heart to lose a cat that way and I sure would them want to pay for that.

All I can say is - if someone would offer me 5 millions for Luna, I would say no. For me, she's priceless!

Kirsten

krazyaboutkatz
09-08-2002, 04:18 PM
I read this article last week. I also agree that an animals life is priceless. No amount of money will bring them back. I do think that the airline needs to have some kind of charges brought against them. They really need to be more careful so that this doesn't happen again.

Aspen and Misty
09-08-2002, 04:58 PM
I think they made it so high so that the media would pick it up and be like some lady or man is chagring the airline company 5 million dollars for a lost cat. To answer your question yes I would pay that much for my cats, but no I would never sell them to somone, even if the offered me 5 million.