PDA

View Full Version : Chunky Cat

StarandBratsmom
09-09-2008, 09:19 AM
I hate to admit it but my spoiled, kitty kid, Star is chunky. What is the best way to get a to a more healthy weight?

catmandu
09-09-2008, 09:34 AM
THE FIRST THING IS TO NOT SPOIL STAR QUITE SO MUCH, AS ITS A BAD HABIT TO GIVE OUR FURRY ONES TOO MUCH HUMAN FOOD, WHICH IS NOT GOOD FOR THEM.
AND THEN A GOOD LIGHT CATFOOD IS CALLED FOR.
SCIENCE DIET , NUTRO AND IAMS HAVE EXCELLENT LIGHT FORMULAS, I WOULD PERSONALLY WITH WITH NUTRO COMPLETE INDOOR LIGHT:cool: WHICH WORKED WONDER WITH MY TUBBSTERS!!:love:

Taz_Zoee
09-09-2008, 09:35 AM
My Taz weighed 21 1/2 lbs at his heaviest. Up until I moved in with the BF all of the vets I saw weren't too concerned about it. Because he was still active and could jump onto windowsills and tables with no problem.
But the vet here said she'd like to see him lose a couple pounds. I put him on a diet food purchased at the vets office. But you can find diet food in the pet food stores too.
Well, it doesn't work quickly, that's for sure. And then Taz got sick and lost too much weight! He has maintained his weight for the last few years at 12 1/2 lbs. Which is a bit skinny for his size, but now I can't seem to get weight back on him! LOL

But I just suggest a diet food (someone else can suggest what brand and what to look for in the ingredients, I'm not good at that either) and lots of play time to help Star get more exercise.

Good luck! :D

catmandu
09-09-2008, 09:39 AM
THATS A GOOD POINT, AS SOMETIMES CATS DONT GET ENOUGH PLAY, AND THATS SO IMPORTANT TO KEEP THEM MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY SHARP!
AND IT DOSENT HAVE TO BE PRICEY, A FEW BOXES PUT TOGETHER TO MAKE A TUNNEL, A CRUMBPLED PIECE OF PAPER, ANYTHING WILL WORK TO GET OUR FURRIES :love:GOING!!!!:D

KitCat
09-09-2008, 09:54 AM
My vet said that if my cat wasn't a healthy weight, he wouldn't be around as long. He weighed around 16 pounds. I carefully measure his food and now he's at 15, but it took a long time. My vet says 14 would be the right weight. I play with him when he's in the mood. He has been getting more active as the weight is coming off, and is gaining some muscle.

I will keep trying to get his weight down because he is the most important cat in the world to me and I want him with me as long as possible.

StarandBratsmom
09-10-2008, 09:25 AM
I guess I feed Star her treats, spoil her, and buy her toys because it does make her happy. If I am unhappy, at least I can make her happy. Makes a lot of sense. I may try the foods you reccomended. No one has said she's unhealthy but Star is very active, loves to play even though she's 4.

AllAmericanPUP
09-10-2008, 10:11 AM
You really don't need to feed a diet food, they generally aren't very good for animals.

just feed LESS.

I dont know if you free feed or not but if you do then stop. Feed her a certain amount at certain times.

I've always done schedule feedings with my cats just like my dogs and they've always been at good healthy weights.

and treats are OK to just don't give her so many