PDA

View Full Version : Would you -

Grace
09-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Would you vote for or against a candidate or ballot proposal because your Pastor, Priest, Rabbi, Spiritual Advisor said to do so?

For the past 54 years, there has been an IRS ruling forbidding this. Now it is going to be challenged. Here's an article from today's Washington Post - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/07/AR2008090702460.html?hpid=sec-religion

I wouldn't vote a specific way because someone told me to - regardless of their station in life.

I'm not sure if this whole thing is unconstitutional, but all these places of worship have been getting a free ride on taxes for years, knowing the rules set up. Now they want to speak out - but not to pay.

Too bad - let them talk all they want; but let them also pay their fair share. The rest of us sure have to.

sasvermont
09-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Out of the question. I could care less what a church official suggests! I don't even care how my friends vote. I believe it is a personal and very private decision.

Karen
09-08-2008, 03:39 PM
We are Americans, and have a constitutional separation of church and state. I would not vote a particular way just because my pastor said so - he (or she) has the ability to get me to think about something, but I make up my own mind considering everything I know or can find out.

JenBKR
09-08-2008, 03:51 PM
No. I can make up my own mind. My church and Pastor have never endorsed any particular candidate since I have been going there. I don't believe that anyone, including a Spiritual leader, should 'tell' people how to vote, although I think it would be ok if they tell people where candidates stand on issues.

RICHARD
09-08-2008, 04:53 PM
I do not attend any religious services.

I would not let myself become "Pastor-ized".:confused:

Medusa
09-08-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't even want to hear about political subjects from the pulpit. I want spiritual food when I go to church. I get enough politics from newspapers, TV and the internet. I had a minister friend for over 30 years (he passed over a couple of years ago) and not once, to my knowledge, did he ever talk about politics from the pulpit. IMO, it's the height of arrogance to do so. It's a secret ballot for a reason and the clergy should stick to what they know.

lizbud
09-08-2008, 04:59 PM
I would not. I could be persuaded more by a family member's opinion
& logic to look twice at a certain candidate, but I make my own choices
in the end.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Church is for hearing about God, not political issues. Mercy, I hear enough about the canidates on tv and the news. I make my own choice and give that right to others. I just HATE being told what to do! :)

Freedom
09-08-2008, 05:31 PM
The only thing our pastor ever says from the pulpit on this is to be sure to vote. As a part of that, he suggests that we follow debates, educate ourselves, not just go in on 'the day' and check a few boxes.

Among other things, religion suggests a method of making decisions, but it does not tell you what decision to make.

Grace
09-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Apparently there are some religious figures who feel it is their right to tell members how to vote. In the article I linked, the attorney for the group says -

three dozen church leaders from more than 20 states have agreed to deliver a political sermon, naming political names.

"The sermon will be an evaluation of conditions for office in light of scripture and doctrine. They will make a specific recommendation from the pulpit about how the congregation would vote," he said.

"They could oppose a candidate. They could oppose both candidates. They could endorse a candidate. They could focus on a federal, state or local election."

If this happened while I was in church, I would get up and leave.

Medusa
09-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Apparently there are some religious figures who feel it is their right to tell members how to vote. In the article I linked, the attorney for the group says -

three dozen church leaders from more than 20 states have agreed to deliver a political sermon, naming political names.

"The sermon will be an evaluation of conditions for office in light of scripture and doctrine. They will make a specific recommendation from the pulpit about how the congregation would vote," he said.

"They could oppose a candidate. They could oppose both candidates. They could endorse a candidate. They could focus on a federal, state or local election."

If this happened while I was in church, I would get up and leave.

I would not only leave, I would contact the IRS about them.

Grace
09-08-2008, 07:17 PM
I would not only leave, I would contact the IRS about them.

Mary - read the article I posted the link for. It is about some preachers who plan to test the IRS rulings about this.

Medusa
09-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Mary - read the article I posted the link for. It is about some preachers who plan to test the IRS rulings about this.

That was my point. I would continue to report them for as long as they continued to challenge the IRS rulings.