PDA

View Full Version : Lucy caught her first chippie

sasvermont
09-08-2008, 02:58 PM
I took Lucy outside with me while I emptied my trash and on my way back in the door, I looked at Lucy and there she was, standing there with a chippie in her mouth. She was just as proud as she could be. My instincts kicked in, I grabbed Lucy by the body and shook her until she let go of the chippie. By the time I turned around to see if the chippie was dead, it was GONE off the porch.

Lucy 0
Chippie 1

My heart is still racing, and I suspect Lucy's heart and the chippie's heart are racing about the same rate.

We have hundreds of chippies around here and I wouldn't miss one....but don't see any reason for them to be treated harshly. Lucy hadn't killed it and I don't want her to either.

Now, I am sure, every time Lucy goes outside, she will look for her oh so stupid friend, the chipmunk!:eek:

Donnaj4962
09-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Awww, Lucy was just looking for a friend to take inside to play with. She would show him around and tell him how nice it is inside! ;)

Sasha loves to watch the squirrels and chippies from the windows of our house! I know that if she could get outside, she would have one in no time flat!

Laura's Babies
09-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Nice toys the yard provided. Interactive toys!

Karen
09-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Aw, congrats, Lucy - you proved you are the mighty huntress, and chippie got away unharmed. Now remember, not every chippie will be as accommodating - some can be proactive about using teeth and claws, and you wouldn't want to scar that pretty nose of yours ...

lvpets2002
09-08-2008, 03:15 PM
:) Well I was wondering how Lucy caught the chippie without getting a nose nipp.. Glad for the nice ending..

catmandu
09-08-2008, 05:48 PM
IT SOUNDS LIKE IT MAY HAVE BEEN EITHER A YOUNG INEXPERIENCED :(CHIPMUNK WHO WAS UNAWARE OF LUCYS STALKING HIM
OR MAYBE LUCY HAS THE MAKINGS OF A FIRST CLASS HUNTRESS.
MY DEAR MOTHER RESCUED A ROBIN FROM OUR HUNTER CAT GEORGE AND WAS HE MAD :mad::mad:
ANYTIME HE CAUGHT SOMETHING , HE RAN LIKE THE WIND IF HE SENSED MY MOTHERS APPROACH :cool::cool:

sasvermont
09-08-2008, 06:00 PM
I let Lucy out again, just a few moments ago, and she headed right for the spot where she had to drop the chipmunk. She gave up after a few minutes. I suspect she will do the same thing, day after day.

I didn't see her stalk the chippie, so I don't know if she caught it or if the silly thing ran in front of her.... They are getting slower these days, as the weather is turning more fall like.

I have never seen Lucy eat anything other than food, so I don't think she would chew on the find. She looked as though she wanted to bring it inside with her. Oh my, that would have been a mess!
:rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
09-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Would you please ask Lucy if she catches mice? Inside the house?

If so - please tell her how nice the weather is in SoCal and send her to me.

The Es need help!

Bengalz
09-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Aww Lucy ... it's all in the hunt isn't it sweetie :) We've seen Eve chase a chipper down through the creek - all furry feet running as fast as they can barely touching the ground:p Fortunately no one was hurt in the exercise but it was pretty heart stopping :eek: Chipper knows better now ;) he sits in the trees and yells loudly :p he knows Eve can't run thru the trees as fast as he can :D

Same thing happens with the Starling Jays - they have learned to visit in packs and the strategy is pretty amazing. One distracts Eve while the other 2 or 3 pick up the peanuts :p Then they all scream at each other (Eve, of course, is right in the middle:rolleyes:) It has become a great game for all and Eve stays in pretty good shape - very buff;):D

jennielynn1970
09-08-2008, 10:41 PM
My dad's cat Taz used to catch chippies, never hurt them, just catch them and bring them to the door.

One time my dad let him in the house without knowing he had a chippie in his mouth. My mom wasn't home, otherwise she would have had a heart attack.

I wish I could explain the dramatization that my father did of Taz and the chippie racing around the house together, lol. Taz had let the chippie go, and he and the chippie were running side by side, doing circles around the 1st floor of their house! :D :eek:

Randy_K
09-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Maybe Lucy brought the chipmunk for you to eat. You know... a present for mommy!

Barbara
09-09-2008, 02:51 AM
I second Randy- Lucy knows the winter is coming and you and her sisters need food;)
She will be so disappointed you didn't appreciate it.

But I am glad Chippie got away unharmed. It would not have been enough for the 4 of you anyway;)

Randy_K
09-09-2008, 09:08 AM
So I see this in this morning's paper...

http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/tas080909.gif