PDA

View Full Version : Should I stay or should I go?

RICHARD
09-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Here comes Lance Armstrong again.

He has been riding and recently finished a 100 mile off road race- he came in second place! He gassed at the end but was able to stay with the winner for most of the distance.

---------

LA is another one of the "retired" athletes that retire, come back, think about retiring again, then come back.

As much as I love the stories, there gets to be the time where I really don't care about them anymore.

Like the Michael Phelps thing- First he says he won't race in 2012 then changes his mind. Could it be that four more years of being paid for training had a little to do with his decision?;)

Another thing that I have to laugh about is the press release about his donation of his one million dollar bonus to charity. Take some of your time and instead of showing up at some stupid award show- go clean an inner city pool, teach a swimming class, go talk to kids about how you got to the point where you can get paid for getting waterlogged..... :confused:

Of course, now we have to put up with Phelps and his Rosetta Stone commercials, cereal box pictures and tons of kids bugging their parents to go swimming.

Brett Favre, might be the wishy washiest one of all! He thinks about retiring for the last few years, pulls the pin and expects the company/team to take him back. I know I wanted him to do it one more time but how can an athlete do that to the team and city time and time again?

Recently we saw Dara Torres swim her rock-hard rear end off to win three silver medals. WOW, now she wants to try for a 2012 London Games! I never heard her waffle about coming back.......she said she'd think about it.

I like the fact that the "little people" in sports do their thing without the fanfare of news conferences and huge statements. Last week I saw a two inch story about DT having surgery for a shoulder ailment.

She was HUGE news a month ago and now she ends up getting a few soy ink words at the back of the sports section. I wonder if she'd get the same treatment had she won all gold?

Karen
09-08-2008, 02:54 PM
I am not surprised at Michael Phelps changing his mind, Olympic athletes get so focussed on that one big event that it is hard to think beyond it right away. I don't mind athletes "unretiring" if it is done without much fuss and fury. After all, my own non-athlete Great Uncle Mac retired 5 times! He'd retire, stay home for a couple days, drive Aunt Adrienne nuts and then get another job!

My favorite of his "retired" jobs was when he was fixing trucks and equipment at a local dairy that had an ice cream stand. He'd get given the over-ripe bananas bought for making banana sundaes - and they'd become banana bread to share. And he'd bring over almost-empty (as in still a half dozen scoops left - containers of ice cream, too!

And I think before that was when he was driving and fixing school buses - that was good, too, because a couple times a year we'd get given all the pens and crayons and stuff kid left on the buses and never reclaimed!

So, we were a little spoiled - they never had kids, but we were his favorite nephew's kids, so we got the goodies!

RICHARD
09-08-2008, 04:30 PM
I have to apologize here,

MP was here in L.A. teaching a swimming class and trying to get support for Chi Town to bring the 2016 games here!:eek:

Open mouth, insert floaties?:D

lizbud
09-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I have to apologize here,

MP was here in L.A. teaching a swimming class and trying to get support for Chi Town to bring the 2016 games here!:eek:

Open mouth, insert floaties?:D

When I first read the title to this thread, I was about to say.........

Yes, have you packed yet? :D .......j/k

I really don't put much thought into athletes personal decisions on this or
that. I do enjoy their performances though.

RICHARD
09-09-2008, 10:46 AM
When I first read the title to this thread, I was about to say.........

Yes, have you packed yet? :D .......j/k

I just need your address.:eek:

LOLOLOLOLOL.

Athletes and sport are things that take us away from our mundane lives.

Stop for a second and think about the last time you were totally transfixed watching a sport on T.V.

All the things, that really don't have any weight in 'real' life, are dreams to us, reality to others and a way to make people stop for a second and enjoy each other. One of the best moments that I saw on the tube was the Iraqi soccer/futbol team playing-I think it was the World Cup.

I saw a news clip of people in a bar/restaurant watching the games and getting into it. There was no religion, hate, color or status.

It was just a bunch of people cheering on their country.

The Greeks had it right. Stop everything for a minute and and let's see who is the strongest, fastest, best with a few rules tossed in.

A few people that are extraordinary compete in games that really do not have any bearing on what we are. The represent what we could be.

Professional athletes take their stature for granted.

There was a woman who competed in the shot put in China who said that her inspriation came from an American gymnast.

This gal was probably a foot taller and twice the size of her hero.

What? Tossing a steel ball has nothing to do with doing a back flip off of a four inch wide piece of wood.

Gosh, there are TONS of people I have watched doing things that I can only dream about doing.

Ride a bike across France for three weeks?
Play volleyball on the sand or indoors with the best on the planet?
Run 26 miles and change?
Jump higher than I am tall?
Ice skate for 10,000 meters?
Race a car or motorcycle at speed?

Did you see the table tennis competiton at the Olympics?
Badmiton, fencing, wrestling?

These people do not realize the impact they have on the people who watch them compete. Yes, they do it for themselves and the chance to represent a country, their hard work and the reward for what they do-but do they ever really know how they impact the people who get a chance to see them do what they do best?

I have my favorite list of athletes who I admire. They aren't the football players, baseball stars or basketball players who I watch to keep me content until I see a real sportsman.

Kathy Turner, speed skater-Jeff Blatnick, wrestler-Gabriela Schiess, runner, Eddie the Eagle, ski jumper- Lance Armstrong, racer-Ivan Stewart, off road racer- Kenny Roberts, motorcycle racer. Those are the people who competed in their sports with little or no exposure. You only saw them for a brief second, when we were allowed to.

You held your breath when you did, and thought to yourself, "Dang, could I do that?" I know that I couldn't - But, I have dreamt and thought about the things I could to, if I put my mind to it.

I love the stories about people who think, dream and with a little hard work make me feel that there is something that I can do. It won't get me a medal, money, a cereal box or a chance to do something I can do well and not worry about anything else in life.

It's all about the people who are blessed with a talent, skill or ability that sets them apart from the rest of the ordinary people people on the planet like me and you.

I stop and think about what they feel and how they would act if they were Uncle Mac's shoes.;)

I hear about athletes who dream about gold medals, getting the winning score in a game, being the best in the world. Then you have Uncle Mac.

Mechanic and all around good guy.

I'll never see him doing commercial, selling phones or at the MTV awards. He did enough to make an impression on the people that he was around.

Athletes today are some of the last heroes that can take us away from being a clerk, sales person, dishwasher, housewife or office drone.

They don't see their ability to make everyone watching stop for a second and think about what can be done when we put our minds to a task.

There is a saying that goes, "You go until you break".

Many athletes get to the top and stop. They retire and make a huge deal about winning their prize. Good on them.

I love the people who win, keep going and then stop one day. They tell us that they cannot go on.

It's a reality that we don't like to hear, but we admire their honesty and the reality behind their decision.

It makes us realize that they are human, we take a second and see ourselves. It makes them human and we love that. We hurt when we see a 'star' beaten down.

We like winners. They are that much more special when we see them fail.

lizbud
09-09-2008, 01:40 PM
I agree that sports performances can excite us or deflate us & I do watch
some events. I don't think they necessarily bring people together though.

Have you ever seen the riots after some soccer matches in Europe? :eek:

RICHARD
09-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Have you ever seen the riots after some soccer matches in Europe? :eek:

Another reason I don't go to more sporting events. My nephew has gone to matches held here locally and tells me about the behavior of the 'fans'.

NO thanks!

I'll stick with the genteel stuff.

Checkers anyone?