PDA

View Full Version : What breed should I get?

StarandBratsmom
09-08-2008, 10:00 AM
My boyfriend and I are moving pretty soon, to a place where we can have dogs. Currently we have cats because my landlord doesn't mind cats. We think adding a dog to our family would be great.

We both want a BIG dog, but we both do not know what will be a better breed to have. We both like the Bull Mastiffs, but they are large and very slobbery dogs. I kind of want a fluffy dog, leave it to a girl to want cute and fluffy. We also both want one that is smart, easy to train, and does great with kids. We plan on marrying and having kids too.

What do you think?

Husky_mom
09-08-2008, 10:56 AM
are you taking your cats along too??... a big dog and cats is another thing to consider... also is prey drive... so sighthounds are out... and huskies LOL... I mean there are exceptions but more than likely they´ll think your beloved kitty is a nice prey to catch...

also how big you want it to be mastiff size?.. and fluffy??... how active?? all dogs are smart but some are way too smart for us...

do you have a yard? are you gonna have one?.. fenced??... have yu previously owned dogs?...how do you feel about grooming??..

this "quiz" has a few questions
http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_dog_breed_is_right_for_me

Taz_Zoee
09-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Why don't you just look around at the local shelters and maybe the perfect dog will find you? :D
It's really hard to specify what breed you should get. All dogs are different in their own way even within the same breed. For example, Aussies. You might find a hyper one (like mine) and then you might come across a mellow one. There's no telling. :)
I know at the shelter where I volunteer, the adoption counselors sit down with you and go over what it is you are looking for in size, temperment and everything. Then they look through the list of adoptable dogs to see if there is a good match for you.

Sighthounds4me
09-08-2008, 11:12 AM
My boyfriend and I are moving pretty soon, to a place where we can have dogs. Currently we have cats because my landlord doesn't mind cats. We think adding a dog to our family would be great.

We both want a BIG dog, but we both do not know what will be a better breed to have. We both like the Bull Mastiffs, but they are large and very slobbery dogs. I kind of want a fluffy dog, leave it to a girl to want cute and fluffy. We also both want one that is smart, easy to train, and does great with kids. We plan on marrying and having kids too.

What do you think?

What about activity level? That's also important. I prefer breeds that are less active, because I myself am lazy. Some people prefer more active dogs to jog and/or hike with.

As far as smart and easy to train, that can apply to almost any dog. Many dog breeds may be reputed to be unintelligent, or difficult to train. Sighthounds are notorious for this, but it could not be farther from the truth. Sighthounds are very intelligent, but often learn very differently than other breeds.

So I guess by "easy to train" do you want a dog who will be well-behaved in the home, or an obedience competitor? That is something to really think about, because many breeds are very good at just being good dogs - they are well-mannered by nature, and need little more in the way of training than basic obedience, and general manners. Others need condtant reminders of who's in charge, and how to behave themselves well.

Also, how big is big to you? A Bullmastiff is considered a giant breed. But would something a little smaller work for you?

In the case of the Bullmastiff, is it the drool that turns you off, or the lack of coat? I know for me, it would be the drool, so I understand!

But if you like a breed like the Bullmastiff, but want coat, I would look into something like the Tibetan Mastiff, Bernese Mountain Dog, Great Pyranees, St. Bernard, or Newfoundland. All breeds are based from the Mastiff, and have similar temperaments (though the Pyr is rather protective by nature, and require a firmer hand in training and LOTS of socialization), but have coat.

Do remember, though, that a coated breed will require more in the way grooming. They are double-coated, and so will blow coat by the bucket-loads in spring/summer. And to keep the coat in good shape, these breeds will require brushing several times a week, especially during times of heavy shedding. You'll need to be prepared for that.

Also, would you prefer a puppy, or an adult? Puppies require a ton of work, need to be spayed/neutered (unless you plan to show), need vaccinations, and other general health things, LOTS more training. They will teethe, so they will chew a lot, and when a giant breed puppy chews, he means business!! He'll require different nutrition than many other breeds, to ensure that he does not grow too fast, and threaten the health of his joints.

Another thing to consider is that larger breeds often do not live as long as smaller breeds, and that can be heartbreaking. Just another thing to consider.

NOW, I am NOT trying to talk you out of a giant breed. Just telling you things to think about, and take into considerantion. Some of these things are items that some folks don't realize, and may be a deal-breaker.

I do want to say: KUDOS to you for doing your research!! So many people fail to do that, and the dog ends up paying the price. I wish you luck in your search.

animal_rescue
09-08-2008, 01:48 PM
A standard poodle may be a good one.
Or even a Labrador or Golden Retriever.

You may want to try a dog breed selector quiz.

http://selectsmart.com/dog/

They are not in any way 100% accurate but you can get an idea of the different breeds out there and information about them so you can do further research on them.

AllAmericanPUP
09-08-2008, 02:11 PM
I agree with going to a shelter and looking at different dogs.
as was said before, even if a dog is a certain breed there is still no telling what its personality is like.

Unless you are dead set on a puppy I would suggest maybe adopting an adult dog so you alredy know what it's personality is like

*LabLoverKEB*
09-08-2008, 05:53 PM
I say go look at the animal shelters in your area, and see what they have... Keep us updated, and good luck!:)

Giselle
09-08-2008, 11:59 PM

What do you think?
Well, here's what you're asking for:

A big dog will eat a lot, poop a lot, drink a lot, take a lot of space. A big dog probably eats a $30-40 bag of good quality kibble every month. Can you afford that for the rest of the dog's life?
A fluffy dog requires regular grooming - either from you or a groomer. Groomers aren't cheap.
A "smart"/highly trainable dog is a dog who NEEDS constant mental stimulation. A "smart" dog is a dog who needs a job. He will NOT be content to sit on the couch for 8 hours while you're away at work. In fact, the "smart" dog will find ways to occupy himself (and it's usually something destructive, like ripping apart your laminate floorings :rolleyes: ).
A "smart" dog often needs adequate physical exercise. This doesn't mean 15 minute strolls around the block. This usually means a hard jog/hike/run/play at park, etc.
Being good with kids is completely an individual characteristic. You just can't generalize and say one breed is better with kids than another. It's an individual thing.

So my suggestion is: search your shelters. An adult dog from a shelter is a dog stable in size, coat, exercise requirements, and compatibility with other dogs/kids. Whenever you get a puppy, you're in for a bit of a crapshoot, so I suggest adopting an older adult.

binka_nugget
09-09-2008, 01:39 AM
Well, here's what you're asking for:

A big dog will eat a lot, poop a lot, drink a lot, take a lot of space. A big dog probably eats a $30-40 bag of good quality kibble every month. Can you afford that for the rest of the dog's life?
A fluffy dog requires regular grooming - either from you or a groomer. Groomers aren't cheap.
A "smart"/highly trainable dog is a dog who NEEDS constant mental stimulation. A "smart" dog is a dog who needs a job. He will NOT be content to sit on the couch for 8 hours while you're away at work. In fact, the "smart" dog will find ways to occupy himself (and it's usually something destructive, like ripping apart your laminate floorings :rolleyes: ).
A "smart" dog often needs adequate physical exercise. This doesn't mean 15 minute strolls around the block. This usually means a hard jog/hike/run/play at park, etc.
Being good with kids is completely an individual characteristic. You just can't generalize and say one breed is better with kids than another. It's an individual thing.

So my suggestion is: search your shelters. An adult dog from a shelter is a dog stable in size, coat, exercise requirements, and compatibility with other dogs/kids. Whenever you get a puppy, you're in for a bit of a crapshoot, so I suggest adopting an older adult.

I completely agree! :) You're never guarenteed anything with a puppy. I had hoped to get cats one day. Kai was my first dog and is excellent with cats. Keeva (third dog, second puppy) was raised to be tolerant with other animals as well. She can not stand the sight of cats and would eat my rats if given the chance. Both dogs were socialized extensively, both were exposed to different animals and both are herding dogs with a modified prey drive. I did everything the same, got breeds similar in temperments and ended up with polar opposites.

Also, the tidbit Sophie added about smart dogs is really important to keep in mind. My dogs are herding dogs. I chose herding breeds because they're known for being extremely intelligent. Intelligent? Yes. Easy to train? Not quite. My two younger dogs are SO smart that they'll understand what I'm asking of them instantly... then figure out a way around it and beat me to the punch. Also, my Malinois is SO keen on working. She does it all day! Most days I give her enough "work".. intense agility or competitive obedience training mostly. On days I slack and don't give her enough work.. she wrecks havoc and creates her own work. There are doors, computer monitors, shoes, glasses, mp3 players and countless other items needing to be replaced. Unfortunately it's the price you pay when you want a highly intelligent breed. They NEED to work, otherwise they'll get bored.

Anyways, I suggest going to a shelter to find an adult dog. I've come a lot of dogs in my days as a volunteer dog walker that have had solid basic commands already. You'll be able to choose the perfect dog for you :)

StarandBratsmom
09-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Yes, I will be bringing my cats with me too. You guys have a point, bigger dog means more space and more food. Your tips have been very helpful. I am going to talk to my boyfriend.

Karen
09-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Just one more vote for visiting shelters and seeing who you fall in love with. That, and some breed research, and you should do well.

Sighthounds4me
09-09-2008, 03:27 PM
are you taking your cats along too??... a big dog and cats is another thing to consider... also is prey drive... so sighthounds are out... and huskies LOL... I mean there are exceptions but more than likely they´ll think your beloved kitty is a nice prey to catch...

Sighthounds are not automatically out. I have a cat, and have had cats for years, with my dogs (and fosters). I have Greyhounds and Borzoi.

I also know plenty of sighthounds people who have cats. It's a matter of testing and training, but it can be done very successfully.

Outside, it's another matter, but you shouldn't be letting the cat and dog outside together anyway.

Husky_mom
09-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Sighthounds are not automatically out. I have a cat, and have had cats for years, with my dogs (and fosters). I have Greyhounds and Borzoi.

I also know plenty of sighthounds people who have cats. It's a matter of testing and training, but it can be done very successfully.

Outside, it's another matter, but you shouldn't be letting the cat and dog outside together anyway.

I never meatn automatically out... as I mentioned there are exceptions to the rule.. and even then they all need supervision...

in my case i have huskies and i mentioned them out too...they can learn to coexist with cats, just look at Glacier´s dogs but still she´s had a few bad experiences there... I just wanted to make her aware of that possibility...

no hard feelings about them, I loooooove sighthounds... especially Borzoi´s I want one sooo bad...;)

Freedom
09-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Do you have time for a dog? Dogs require lot more human time than cats do. They MUST go out, in all weather (even when THEY don't want to!) :rolleyes: Are both of you working? So the dog is going to be alone for at least 8 hours per day. How long is your commute? The moment you get home, the dog is going to want to go OUT. Do you have the energy for that?

There are several breed selectors on line, which will help you learn about the different types of "work" involved with dogs, help you narrow it down to a manageable number to consider when you visit a shelter. These are just a few, they get you thinking about different aspects of dogs.

http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do

http://www.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IAMS_Page.jsp?pageID=DBS

http://www.5stardog.com/dog-breed-selector.aspx