PDA

View Full Version : Saving a Frogs Life

StarandBratsmom
09-07-2008, 05:02 PM
People that know me, know that I have an insane fear of frogs and toads. It doesn’t matter, which one, I am scared of both of them. Let me tell you, I am scared to death of them. To other’s it’s hilarious, even tease me about it. Fun and games, I don’t mind being picked on about it, until someone daring enough brings a REAL frog near me. Of course I lose all control, things get knocked down, I bump into things trying to get away, and screaming my bloody murder screams. My screams can be heard from far away, and this always ends in other’s laughing.

Last night, I go outside, get some fresh air like I do every night. I sit in my lawn chair, pet the cats, and enjoy the quiet. While giving my animals attention, one of my cats darted out towards the yard and catches something. Usually it’s mouse or something like that. I was not alarmed but I did want to see her prize from her hunting skills. As I started towards her, she dropped what was in her mouth. Curiosity got the better of me and I looked down to find it. Out hops a frog! I scream and jump away, my cat goes after the frog again. I guess my motherly instincts kicked in, because the next thing I realize, I am trying to save the frog from a horrible death. I tried to scare my cat away from the frog, so it could get away. It must have misunderstood me because it hopped right towards me. With that, I jumped back, hit the side door of my car, and almost knocked myself out. I screamed so loud that even my own ears rang. In the end, the frog gets away, but even thinking about this ordeal makes my heart race. I wonder if the neighbors think I am crazy for screaming at the ground. Hmm.

Karen
09-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Oh, dear, what an ordeal! Eh, if the neighbors ask, tell them it was a snake or spider - more people are afraid of them!

I was a disappointment to boys on the playground. If they ran toward me with a snake or frog or bug to try to scare me (other girls might shriek and run away) I'd tend to say "Cool, can I hold it?" They'd generally be disgusted and walk away, trying to find a more suitable fright target.

RICHARD
09-07-2008, 06:22 PM
DUDE!

Snakes creep me out.

I was a camp counselor at a camp run by the El Lay city schools. Next to the service road they have a set of snake cages, across the asphalt there is a Iron pipe that acted like a guard rail and the curb/wall below it is made of rocks.

During the nature hikes they will stop and let the kids take the snakes out and handle them. Another one of the counselors had the same ,fear so we went over to the guardrail/curb. She was sitting on the rock wall and I had my feet on the wall and my arse on the pipe. Neither one of us were paying attention to the kids when one walks up to me and shoves the snake into my face.

I pulled back and almost threw a header over the side. I had managed to grab the pipe to keep from falling.. It wasn't very high but it was steep and I could have hurt myself pretty bad, I don't know what scared me more, the snake or the thought of falling.

I'd rather hit a car!

kitten645
09-07-2008, 08:49 PM
I too have a frog phobia. This is kinda gross so stop reading if you are squeemish.
Long ago, I used to horse back ride. At horse camp, we'd bring the horses into the barn in the evening at dusk. Well one year, for some reason, there were wall to wall frogs in the fields. Riding the horses into the corrals/stables you could just hear *squish* *squish* :eek::( So gross. I had to stop doing the evening round ups cause I couldn't get over it. EWWWW!

I'm techinically not scared of them in a fish tank. Same for mice. It's the thought of them jumping or running at me fast that FREAKS me out.
We were at a restaurant the other night. People started moving chairs and I thought they were rearranging to fit in more people.:rolleyes: NOOO...a rat the size of a CAT scurries by. I am ON TOP of the not so sturdy table! I was there with a friend who had to carry me out piggyback:rolleyes::p

Claudia

StarandBratsmom
09-08-2008, 08:26 AM
I too have a frog phobia. This is kinda gross so stop reading if you are squeemish.
Long ago, I used to horse back ride. At horse camp, we'd bring the horses into the barn in the evening at dusk. Well one year, for some reason, there were wall to wall frogs in the fields. Riding the horses into the corrals/stables you could just hear *squish* *squish* :eek::( So gross. I had to stop doing the evening round ups cause I couldn't get over it. EWWWW!

I'm techinically not scared of them in a fish tank. Same for mice. It's the thought of them jumping or running at me fast that FREAKS me out.
We were at a restaurant the other night. People started moving chairs and I thought they were rearranging to fit in more people.:rolleyes: NOOO...a rat the size of a CAT scurries by. I am ON TOP of the not so sturdy table! I was there with a friend who had to carry me out piggyback:rolleyes::p

Claudia

Sounds like something I would have done, but with a frog. My boyfriends family think its funny, my fear of frogs. So one day they bought a little baby waterfrog and out it in the fish tank. THe youngest boy, 8 wanted me to come look at the NEW FISH. I didn't think much of it, until the whole family (8 of them) followed me in there to look. I see the fish, and then all of a sudden out swims a frog. Of course I scream and holler and jump back too. Everyone laughs and the whole evening is spent of picking on me. Ribbit ribbit. It's all fun and games though.

pitc9
09-08-2008, 09:30 AM
I don't mind seeing them or watching them, but do NOT ask me to touch one. :D

MoonandBean
09-08-2008, 09:34 AM
That will make for a great memory or story for years to come :). The things we do for our love of animals :)

StarandBratsmom
09-08-2008, 09:57 AM
LOL, it will be a story to tell someday.

Freedom
09-08-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm with Deb (MoonandBean), what a story to tell for the rest of your years! The natural instincts won out over the fear for the brief moments needed tos ave a life! Amazing isn't it?

Suki Wingy
09-08-2008, 11:36 AM
I always makes me sad when people are afraid of animals.