PDA

View Full Version : Toxic Plants

heidiv
09-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Hey everyone.....I was looking around the net as to what plants are toxic to animals well I have found out if spider plants are safe to cats but I can't find a definate answer on a Wandering Jew plant???? I have a huge plant that is on my front deck I don't want to lose it this winter but refuse to bring it indoors until I am for sure that is wont harm my cats in any way.....Does anyone have any info on this at all?

Catlady711
09-07-2008, 11:19 AM
I can't say with any certainty.

Most websites I found either didn't specify one way or the other on that particular plant, or I can't find any specific credentials that qualify them to decide what is toxic or not to cats.

I know it costs money, but your safest bet is to call the Animal Poision Control and ask them, it's their specialty and they will give you the right answer you can trust. You may be able to get the info by way of the mailing address or email address at the bottom of this copy/paste from their website.

Animal Poision Control -

For over 25 years, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center has been the premier animal poison control center in North America . The center, an allied agency of the University of Illinois , is the only facility of its kind staffed by 25 veterinarians including 6 board-certified veterinary toxicologists and 10 certified veterinary technicians. Located in Urbana , Illinois , the specially trained staff provides assistance to pet owners and specific analysis and treatment recommendations to veterinarians pertaining to toxic chemicals and dangerous plants, products or substances 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In 2004, the center handled over 95,000 cases. In addition, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center provides extensive veterinary toxicology consulting on a wide array of subjects including legal cases, formulation issues, product liability, regulatory reporting and bio surveillance.

ASPCA APCC (888-426-4435); a $50 consultation fee may apply. Be ready to provide:

Your name, address, and phone number
Information concerning the exposure (the amount of agent, the time since exposure, etc.)
The species, breed, age, sex, weight and number of animals involved.
The agent your animal(s) has been exposed to, if known.
The problems your animal(s) is experiencing.
When the 888 number is used, your credit card number will likely be required in addition to the above information. (If the agent is part of the Animal Product Safety Service, the consultation is at no cost to you.)

For more information about the center’s various services, please contact:

Dana B. Farbman, CVT, Senior Manager, Client and Professional Relations
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
1717 South Philo Road, Suite #36
Urbana , IL 61802
1-217-337-5030 (voice)
1-217-344-3586 (fax)
[email protected]

Randi
09-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Here's a list of toxic plants:

http://maxshouse.com/Toxic_Plants%20_Index.htm

heidiv
09-07-2008, 12:40 PM
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-catplants.htm
Here is one site that I found that said its non-toxic still doesn't make me feel real good its the only one so far.....I will keep looking.

heidiv
09-07-2008, 12:44 PM
http://www.wapc.org/pdf/education/Plants.pdf
I liked this site they actually gave more info its kinda looking like its an ok plant I guess its better to be safe than sorry!!