PDA

View Full Version : Just a fun one

Karen
09-06-2008, 01:34 PM
The other night, we were watching a reality-based TV show, and a person (young single male) was reflecting on being lonely despite his successes in business. And I instantly said, "You know, he needs a dog."

Do you ever think that? Watch a show, or read a newspaper story and think "That person's life would be so much better if he/she had a pet to love?"

Bengalz
09-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Often :D A home is not a home without some furry paws in it :D

I'll bet that young man's social life would escalate if he had a cute little pupper managing it for him ;)

Karen
09-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Often :D A home is not a home without some furry paws in it :D

I'll bet that young man's social life would escalate if he had a cute little pupper managing it for him ;)

It's funny, I realized after I posted it that I sometimes think "I bet X was raised without pets" or "I am glad that person doesn't have a dog ..." or "X needs a hamster" ...

Even though I know people who are completely different toward animals than they are people! So I know, when I think about it, that just because someone acts callous and mean toward people, that doesn't mean they act that way toward animals ... but my first impulse doesn't take that into account!

Bengalz
09-06-2008, 02:44 PM
It's funny, I realized after I posted it that I sometimes think "I bet X was raised without pets" or "I am glad that person doesn't have a dog ..." or "X needs a hamster" ...

Even though I know people who are completely different toward animals than they are people! So I know, when I think about it, that just because someone acts callous and mean toward people, that doesn't mean they act that way toward animals ... but my first impulse doesn't take that into account!

I appreciate your perspective Karen. My father, bless him, was very austere when it came to raising children (wonder why :rolleyes:) however, he had the softest heart for anything in a fur coat and 4 legs:D I was never allowed to do many of the things Dad let my pets get away with:p An example? Feeding my dog secret goodies under the table when I was trying to train her not to beg :confused: And taking her for car rides anytime she asked:D And as for our cat .... well Sam had a very privileged life :D my Dad coddled and spoiled him rotten:D

That isn't to say my Dad was unkind to people (or children for that matter) he just preferred the company of his furry friends:) He was a good influence on me in that way :love: because I learned to love and respect animals at an early age.

Laura's Babies
09-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Pets add so much to our lives, some people DO need pets and just don't realize what a big differance they make in your life.

catnapper
09-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I am constantly shocked when I meet someone who doesn't have a pet. I can not imagine life without their friendly faces - even when they're causing trouble ;)

AdoreMyDogs
09-06-2008, 04:52 PM
I think it's so beneficial for children to grow up with animals. I am so glad that I have given this gift to Quinn. Even when she was 5 days old and I was pulling a cat hair out of her eyeball, I have never regretted raising animals and my sweet baby in the same house. Her first social smile EVER was at our kitty, Minion, and I'll never forget that.

I feel that children that don't have pets in their house are deprived of a very important lesson of love and responsibility.

Karen
09-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I think it's so beneficial for children to grow up with animals. I am so glad that I have given this gift to Quinn. Even when she was 5 days old and I was pulling a cat hair out of her eyeball, I have never regretted raising animals and my sweet baby in the same house. Her first social smile EVER was at our kitty, Minion, and I'll never forget that.

I feel that children that don't have pets in their house are deprived of a very important lesson of love and responsibility.

Seeing Quinn and all the Pet Talk babies with their pets always makes my heart glad. We were raised with pets - okay - A pet, but Sheba was the best, nicest, smartest doggie in the whole wide world. She not only kept me company when my older siblings went to school, but she taught me lots of things. My usual example is, Sheba taught me to look both ways before I crossed the street. She was a shepherd mix, and when I got near the street, she'd stand in front of me to block my way, and once I had stopped she point that Shepherd nose first right, then left, very deliberately ... and only then would we cross the street. Now I am sure my parents TRIED to teach me, and told me a million times, but Sheba's gentle but insistent example served best!

Without Sheba, and Freckles, and Gracie, would I have grown up to be the person I am today? No idea. And no desire to find out! :)

Suki Wingy
09-06-2008, 08:10 PM

I feel the same way. I know several kids who's parents just don't see what how much a pet would help them. These kids are afraid of anything not human that moves.

shais_mom
09-06-2008, 11:20 PM
When my cousin got pregnant with her daughter my grandma was like "It's too bad they will have to get rid of Maverick (dog) dog now." I was like "huh?" She fully expected them to get rid of the dog b/c she was having a baby. Now I love love love MY GRANDMA. But BOY oh BOY did that Peeve Me off!!! My cousin was like - uh no he's not going anywhere. And he hasn't.
A coworker of mine had trouble getting pregnant. Everytime she got pregnant her husband made her take her cat to her mom's and she would always ask me if I would take it. She finally got pregnant and Stayed pregnant with twin boys and I don't know where the cat is to this day. I don't want to know, b/c it will just peeve me off. I know it. And now her husband won't keep the babies during the day when he works evenings b/c he doesn't want that responsibility. Uhhh shoulda thought of that before you got married and agreed to have kids. Idiot.
I dunno - sure I think people would benefit from having pets but then there are people out there like the idiot lawn chair guy from Findlay and then I know that pets don't really make people nicer if they are rotten to begin with!!!
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=144979&page=4

moosmom
09-07-2008, 08:11 AM
I don't know what my life would be like without my furbabies. I can thank my daughter for pressuring me to get a cat, my very first cat, Mollie Rose. 16 years later I now have 6 and wouldn't have it any other way.

Bengalz
09-07-2008, 09:53 AM
I dunno - sure I think people would benefit from having pets but then there are people out there like the idiot lawn chair guy from Findlay and then I know that pets don't really make people nicer if they are rotten to begin with!!!

This is a good point, sad, but true. An even more important reason to teach our children well so this type of behaviour becomes less common.

Alysser
09-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Tests have proven that animals improve the health of people physically and mentally. I almost always think this about someone without a pet, I guess I just see the bad in them more clearly because I for one have never lived without a pet. :p An animal can do wonderful for people. I have a cousin(third cousin or something) that I hardly know but he used to be horribly unsocial, very clingy to his parents, and pretty bad-tempered. His parents bought him a puppy for his birthday one year and he wanted nothing to do with it. In about a week, that all changed. He eventually got involved in a dog sport and became and extremely different person. This is what my mom told me. I don't remember the sport or anything and I haven't seen this guy in a year or two. When I see him, I never talk to him, I guess I really should.