PDA

View Full Version : Desperate for advice. Found teenage cat. New mom posts #41!!

Moesha
09-05-2008, 08:18 PM
I just went outside to let Aroara in and the cats were acting a little strange looking off of the porch interacting with the dog. Then I heard some mews and upon closer examination I saw a face on the lawnmower. I came inside to get a flashlight and went back out to find the face on the porch. It's a scrawny teenage black kitty with very angular features. I think it is male, but it hard to get a look at it's backside because it is demanding to be petted. I put it in the bathroom and put the bowl of food down. I think it would have inhaled the food if it could have. So up came the bowl and I spread out pieces on the floor for it to eat more slowly. It still wanted attention. Of course Aroara is outside the door hissing her head away. I don't know what to do. There is no way I can keep it. I can't afford anymore animals. I still have to trap Gary and get him fixed and vaccinated. I can take this to the vet tomorrow to be tested and vaccinated, but I'm sure it is too young to be fixed. We don't have a shelter or anything here. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions at all?

Karen
09-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Any sign of a collar or anything? Have you looked around for "lost cat" signs? If he's a teenager, he's old enough to be neutered, by the way. Call your local paper, they often list "lost" or found" pets for free. Have you contacted Animal Control to see if anyone is looking for him?

If no one is looking for him, maybe you can put a notice in the paper or on craigslist or even Freecycle and "sell" him for ten dollars - something cheap enough, but not free, so he won't fall into the hands of bad guys ... Freecycle doesn't allow you to charge anything, so you'd just have to careful about who you let take him.

Does your vet have anyone who might foster him?

kitten645
09-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Sorry..I can't give any advice. However, my boys were fixed at 8 weeks so I doubt it's too young to get fixed. Maybe the vet can get him adopted for you?
Good luck!
Claudia

Moesha
09-05-2008, 08:46 PM
I only discovered him 30 minutes ago. We don't have animal control. I will ask the neighbors tomorrow, but he is scrawny and scarfs food like he hasn't seen it before. I can call the radio station tomorrow as well but don't have much hope there. I don't even know if I can stand to keep him in the bathroom tonight. He's screaming for attention. I'll post a video in a minute.

jennielynn1970
09-05-2008, 08:47 PM
How far are you from Mississippi... maybe you could mapquest Willow Oak and just happen to find yourself there and see if they could use a new guest.. :p ;)

Moesha
09-05-2008, 08:52 PM
LOL I'm tempted Jenn!

I don't know exactly how to add video, but here's the link (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v310/schweetmoe/Stray%20Kitty/?action=view&current=BlackCat.flv). I put the towel outside the door to keep Aroara from growling and hissing at it. He pulled it inside the bathroom.

jennielynn1970
09-05-2008, 08:58 PM
OMG... how pitiful sounding!!! Both Sophie and Jorgie are right here with me and listening to the video (I've replayed it for them a few times). Sophie just looks at me with these big eyes, and murmurs at me, like "Where is the baby kitty??"

Sweet little thing! He just wants some loving!! Please give him some hugs and loves for me, and from Sophie too!

kt_luvs_kitties
09-05-2008, 11:01 PM
First off thank you for finding him and saving him.

Second you could post adds in the newspaper and craigslist. BUT PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL_ Halloween is coming up, and people start looking for black cats around now... For not so nice reasons! SO do vet checks PLEASE!

kitten645
09-05-2008, 11:43 PM
OMG those mews are so pitiful. I can't think howPoor to help. Breaks my :love::(
Claudia

Emeraldgreen
09-06-2008, 12:27 AM
What a little sweetie he is! I think he crossed your path because he somehow knew you have a heart for animals. ;)
As kt_luvs_kitties mentioned, I would worry about people with bad intentions regarding black cats this time of year. :(
Do you think any of your friends or family might have a space for him? If they saw that video, maybe they wouldn't be able to resist him!
Thank you for letting him in and giving him some food. Please keep us updated.

Moesha
09-06-2008, 08:18 AM
We have a 9:15 appointment to be combo tested. After that I have no idea what I am going to do. I haven't slept since before 3 am. He was quiet all night until 6am. I just woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. He was so quiet I was almost afraid something had happened to him during the night. My sister said he looks like a bat. LOL He has one of the longest tails I have ever seen on a cat his age. I responded to a couple of craigslist ads where people were looking for kittens/cats. A couple of them wanted black cats too, but of course they wanted females. I sent links of the video hoping to appeal to their emotions. I haven't received any reponses yet though.

Randi
09-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Aww, poor little thing wants his mommy. :( Since he's so friendly, maybe he has an owner nearby - I do hope so, and that they'll come forward. If not, taking him to your vet to be checked, is a good idea, and perhaps he can help find a family for him.

Thanks for helping this cutie! :)

Best of luck, and kisses to "Blackie" :love:

orangemm
09-06-2008, 10:34 AM
What a little sweetie pie! He sounds piteous, poor thing. Reminds me of my RB Mikey, who I fell for in a pet shop. He cried and cried and of course I had to have him.

He's lucky to have you! Please keep us posted as to how he's doing...bless you for taking him in.

Moesha
09-06-2008, 11:03 AM
We got back from the vet with the good news that his combo test was negative. I took a fecal sample in since there was blood in it this morning. Then on the way there he gave another very loose sample in the carrier, again with blood. The float test showed he has "every kind of worm". Of course he also is covered in fleas and has earmites. Lots of little critters like living on him! We got medicine for all those and he got his first set of shots. They thought he was too young for a rabies shot. You would not believe how friendly this cat is. I don't think he has a home around here. And even if he did, after seeing all the things he is infested with, I'd be afraid to let him go back there. Even the vet said he looks like an Egyptian Mau kitty with his very angulared features and long lines. Not that he is that, but that's what he resembles. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know what happened. He has to be isolated for another day or two to make sure none of the "hangers on" transfer to my kids. I did not need this at all, but how can you turn away a helpless creature. He really needs someone to love him forever.

jazzcat
09-06-2008, 11:17 AM
OMG, what a sweetheart!!! He reminds of me Jazz when we first adopted her. I think she was around 12 weeks old.

Sounds like this little guy is on his own but I think it's interesting he's so friendly and loving. I'd think he's definitely been around people, guess they just didn't take care of him. Poor little guy.

Bless you for taking him in. So are you planning to foster him till you can find a home?

Moesha
09-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Bless you for taking him in. So are you planning to foster him till you can find a home?

I don't know what other choice I have. He's in the bathroom for another 2 days. Then I don't know what to do. Aroara will tear him up. She hissed at me when I got back from the vet as soon as she smelled him on my hands. I'm going to take pictures to the vet's office. He told me to post fliers there. I wish I could post a video there of how super friendly and personable he is.

jazzcat
09-06-2008, 11:41 AM
I don't know what other choice I have. He's in the bathroom for another 2 days. Then I don't know what to do. Aroara will tear him up. She hissed at me when I got back from the vet as soon as she smelled him on my hands. I'm going to take pictures to the vet's office. He told me to post fliers there. I wish I could post a video there of how super friendly and personable he is.
Could you post the link (web address) to your video of him on the flier? That way if people wanted to go home and "look" at him they could? Don't know how well that would work but maybe some people would check it out.

Too bad Aroara isn't more accepting and that you can't keep him but I understand. Will she tolerate him being fostered for a while?

Catty1
09-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Aroara! Little girl, please be patient. Mommy hasn't abandoned you - there is a lonely baby kitty who needs love and a home!:love: You are mom's special baby and that will never change.:love:

Moesha
09-06-2008, 11:58 AM
At the moment I'm taking care of 9 other kitties and a dog. I cannot afford the vet care for any more animals. This morning's bill was $99.50, but they gave me a $15 discount. I just don't have it in my budget to care for another animal on a regular basis. I'll do what I can for him right now though. He is such a sweetheart that he really deserves to have a family that will love him and let him love them in return. I think I'll put the address to a video or two on those little strips of paper that you can tear off and take with you.
I forgot to mention that he is 4 pounds.

Taz_Zoee
09-06-2008, 12:10 PM
I thought he looked about the same size as Paizly. She is 4.3 lbs. And she just got her last round of shots along with rabies this past Tuesday. And she is scheduled for her spay on the 18th.
Just because they are the same size doesn't mean they are the same age, but they're probably close. Paizly is approximately 4 months old. But I think she is small. She only gained .3 lbs in 4 weeks, and she eats a lot!

I hope you can find this lovie kitty a home. He seems like he really wants one.

Laura's Babies
09-06-2008, 12:31 PM
That baby is just adoreable and really needing someone to love him.Please be careful who you turn him over to. He would be a velcro baby to the right humans and be very faithful. I love his little voice, it is so sweet. Wish I could take on another one but that is impossiable..

cassiesmom
09-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Bless you for taking him in, Moesha! If you want help w/ his vet bills, please say the word.

Moesha
09-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Bless you for taking him in, Moesha! If you want help w/ his vet bills, please say the word.

I thank you for the offer, but I can cover it. I just need to find him a permanent home because I can't add another animal to the regular routine of vet trips and monthly doses of medicine. There are a couple of local programs that I've seen posting fliers that have funds to help with spaying and neutering animals. I'm going to check into getting some assistance with that for Gary, I'm almost at the point where I think I can grab him, and for this new kitty. Thanks again though! I do appreciate it.

momtomany
09-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Bless you for taking him in. He sounds wonderful and just needs loving and will give it back. Please be careful, though, because folks are looking for black cats for not very nice things at Halloween. I wouldn't mind contributing some money towards you fostering him until a good safe home could be found. He seems like such a sweety.

catmandu
09-06-2008, 04:29 PM
I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH MOESHA, AS I PUT FOOD OUT FOR THE PORCH CATS AND ITS ALWAYS GONE BEFORE LONG.
AND THE SAD THING IS THAT THE ANIMAL WELFARE IS FULL, AND TO GO WITH ANIMAL CONTROL MEANS ALMOST CERTAIN DEATH AS THEY ARE SO FILLED UP WITH STRAY CATS.:(:eek:
I WONDER IF TRAPPING THEM IS BETTER AS AT LEAST THAT WILL STOP UNWANTED KITTENS.
AND NOW EBONY TUBSTER IS NOT COMING AROUND, AND I WONDER IF HE WILL BE LIKE SOME MANY PORCH CATS , A MEMORY OF A CAT WHO USED TO COME AROUND.
YOU HAVE A GOOD HEART , AND I KNOW THAT YOU WILL DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.
GOD BLESS YOU FOR CARING!!!:love::love:

Moesha
09-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Here are a few pictures of the little guy. (He has no name because I'm not getting attached and have to keep him.)

It is almost impossible to get a picture of him by oneself. He's always following you and you can't get a decent angle. I had to have assistance to get these. Notice his feet are always going. He's purring and pawing constantly and can't get you to rub his head enough. Even while she's hold him he's trying to get scrubbies.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/schweetmoe/Stray%20Kitty/P1040502.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/schweetmoe/Stray%20Kitty/P1040503.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/schweetmoe/Stray%20Kitty/P1040504.jpg

Here he is before his trip to the vet. I have to use this size carrier for Morgan. He doesn't fit in anything smaller. This little guy could live in it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/schweetmoe/Stray%20Kitty/P1040494.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/schweetmoe/P1040495.jpg

columbine
09-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Oh! He's SO beautiful, with those luxurious whiskers and those great big ears! I love his long aristocratic nose, and that wonderful tail. I'm sure anyone who meets him will fall for him. It's certainly true that you have to be especially careful finding homes for black kitties this time of year, but once the right person meets him, he'll have his lovely tail wrapped right around their heart.

Love, Columbine

momtomany
09-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Oh he is the spitting image of my Alex who got killed last week. Alex also talked alot and was so sweet and loving. You know sometimes we don't pick the kitties, they pick us.

Catty1
09-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Beautiful boy! LOOK at those happy toes and endless head bumps!:D

momtomany...I apologize for asking, as you lost your beloved Alex so so recently...but might you consider this little guy if transport could be arranged?

Again, I apologize for speaking out of turn and hurting you...it was just a thought.:love:

Medusa
09-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Oh goodness, he's adorable! Hard to resist those eyes. I sure hope this situation is resolved for you soon, Moesha. It's so wonderful of you to take him in and care for him. Be aware, though, that the Halloween season is upon us and sick minded people are wanting black cats now for awful things. The Humane Society here won't allow black cats to be adopted during Sept.-Oct. until Halloween has passed and still there's almost always a newspaper article about bad things that people did to a black cat. I don't want to be a downer because this is a happy thread but just want to alert you to what can happen. Mega prayers going up that all will be well and that this darling will be adopted to a permanent, kind, loving home right quickly.

moosmom
09-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Moesha,

Boy does that mew just cut into my heart strings. I'm sure you'll find a home quickly. Please just do one thing. Do a home check if possible, and get personal references and the name and phone number of their vet. I know it can be a pain in the butt, but believe me, it'll save her life in the long run. Charge an adoption fee, seriously. Charge whatever the vet charged you, as that's the cost they would have to put out had they taken her to their vet. If they can't afford the vet bill, they have no business adopting her, plain and simple.

Thanks for taking her in and looking out for her well being. You rock!!!

Moesha
09-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks to everyone for the reminders about black cats, especially at this time of year. I don't celebrate Halloween but am very conscious about the danger to black kitties. I have 4 of them.

Now, I need some real advice. I just am not allowed to have anymore kitties in this house. Morgan is a strictly inside kitty and Aroara was going to be, but she REFUSED. She does spend half of her time inside though. I don't exactly know how to explain this, but since I personally brought those two kitties here, I feel a greater responsibility to them. The rest of them showed up here on their own. I take care of them. They have food and shelter and regular vet checkups and emergency vet services if needed. But they can't live inside. I don't own this house and those are the rules. I live in the country on a backroad with acres of open fields and some wooded areas also. I know there are dangers outside, but I figure that these guys that showed up here have it pretty good compared to what it could be. And some do come inside for social visits also. That being explained, here's my problem with the new kitty:

His quarantine period is up tomorrow. I may be able to talk my way into getting him a couple days inside, but I know it won't be many. I can use the pretense of having to watch his stools until they firm up. I have had a friend of mine say that she would take him when she moves out of her parents house in November. She has a cat and is responsible. I'm sure she would do her best with him. But I also know how much it costs to live on your own. She'll have fun trying to feed herself sometimes, so I don't want to add to the burden if I can help it. I told her I would use that as a last result.

I have set up a photobucket account with several pictures and the video on it. I also ordered a few of them as prints to put on some fliers to put up at the vet's office and such. I was going to put this link (http://s396.photobucket.com/albums/pp45/runningazoo/Stray%20Kitty/) on the fliers with rip off pieces of paper so people can take it with them to view later. Are there any other suggestions you guys have? Also, I need some questions to ask perspective families. I responded to one add on a local craigslist type site. The person wanted a black female 6-8 week old kitten. I explained what I had and asked why it needed to be female. He responded that he'd already gotten a kitten earlier in the week and went with a male anyway. But they'd wanted a female because they had gotten an orange and white kitty and wanted to have kittens. They decided with the male because they have full blooded labs and are going to have puppies instead. I wouldn't have let a kitty go there. But I'm not sure how to go about getting him a good home.

It would be so much easier and more comforting to get him a PT home. If anyone would be interested in him, I'd be more than happy to do anything I could to help with that. He just needs a home that would give him as much love as he has to give.

ETA: I thought about putting a story from the kitty's point of view on the flier about how he would love a home. Of course I'd mention the vet visit and results. I also thought that I might warn people that I'd be checking into any potential owners to make sure that he would be well taken care of. Does that sound ok?

kitten645
09-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Wow you are in a tough spot. Thanks for saving this baby. I have a special place in my :love: for blackies. We couldn't be further apart or I'd try to give you a hand :( I think if you could hold on to him just past Halloween with your friend taking him as a back up (if even temp. while you keep looking) it might give you some time at least. Aside from that,the only thing I can suggest is naming him Jellybean and see if it works :confused:
Claudia

jazzcat
09-08-2008, 11:52 AM
I wish I knew something to tell you. Sounds like you are doing all you can with the flier. I'm sorry if you've said before but are there any no kill shelters that would take him in? I know they are usually very full this time of year but if all else fails.

It would be wonderful if you could find a PT home. I'm sorry I can't help but I'm over my limit buy 2 as it is.

Anikaca77
09-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Moe,

I really wish I could take him for you, but I have my hands full as well. I would be willing to donate though if you need some extra cash since you have been so kind towards me in the past.

He sure is a cutie pie.

Melissa

GILL
09-09-2008, 11:54 AM
He is so adorable. A perfect match for Lucky. Just keep us informed. I hate to say it but it looks like we are fighting a lossing battle with ET, so we may have an opening soon.

Moesha
09-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm so excited. I'm almost afraid to post this until the transaction is completed, but I can't contain myself much longer.

We named the kitty Purrcival because of the non-stop purring. That soon was shortened to Percy. The plans are for Percy to move to his new home! The best news is that it is a PT home!!! I'm going to pick up a few things for him at the vet's office in the morning and by early afternoon he should be living in the lap of luxury with his new family. It's going to be hard to watch him go. He's a heartbreaker for sure! But I know this is the best for him, as long as he fits in with his new family. If not, he'll come back here and we'll work something else out for him. I don't know if I should spill the beans about who is new hoomins will be or not. Maybe I'll let him/her make his/her own announcement. I couldn't be happier for all involved! Thank you guys from the bottom of my heart! There are a few new pictures and a video up at http://s396.photobucket.com/albums/pp45/runningazoo/Stray%20Kitty/.

jazzcat
09-11-2008, 08:49 PM
That is great!!! A new home and a PT one at that! Sounds like a happy ending in the making. :)

Now, who would like to adopt Moxie? Maybe Decker too?? Any takers?

catmandu
09-12-2008, 07:26 PM
THATS SUC GREAT NEWS AND PERCY :love:REMINDS ME OF TUBBY 2 ANGEL:love:, EBONY TUBSTER:love: AND TUBSTER PANTHER:love: WHO ALL CAME LOOKING FOR HOMES.:love:
AS IT GETS COOLER I KNOW THAT TUBSTER PANTHER:cool: WILL STAY IN MORE AND I HOPE TO HAVE A SHELTER UP FOR THE PORCH CATS:D SOON.
BLESS YOU FOR FIDNING PERCY:love: THAT NEW HOME AND THERES A NEW GOLD STAR BY YOUR NMAE AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE TONIGHT.:love:

Moesha
09-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Oh no Gary, the gold stars go to his new family. He's been dropped off and things looked to be going well. I can just hope that he loves his new family as much as I do. If that happens, things will be wonderful! I took him back to the vet one more time. He'd gained .25 pounds and had a normal temperature. He got the A-OK to move in to the new digs. And I must say they are fabulous digs! Maybe I'll move in next. ;)

kimlovescats
09-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Ok, I guess it's time we "let the cat out of the bag"!:p Percy is now residing here with me and my furry crew! He is such a precious little guy ... right now he is snoozing at the foot of my bed ... making himself right at home!

It was so nice meeting Moesha! She is so sweet and friendly and has given this little guy a great start in his life! I feel honored to have met her and to be able to take her precious little guy in!

Ok ... enough gabbing ... here are a few pics from our visit!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Percy/MoeshaPercy91208003.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Percy/MoeshaPercy91208002.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Percy/MoeshaPercy91208001.jpg

That's Redfurd in his usual place ... wrapped around my ankles!:D

Moesha
09-12-2008, 09:03 PM
LOL Me and my crazy "luau" outfit! hehehe

I love Kim's kitties! I was tempted to snag a few and bring them home with me! That Redfurd is a sweetheart indeed! So were the others furkids. They must take after their hoomins!

jazzcat
09-12-2008, 09:36 PM
AWWW!!! He is so cute. Looks like Jazz did at that age. :)

Nice to see you Moesha and Kim you're looking good! I hope Percy adjust to his new family quickly. I bet he'll be one of the gang in no time.

Grace
09-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Look at those eyes - he's just taking it all in!!

In my next life I want to be rescued by Moesha and adopted by Kim ;)

P.S. Has he met Bear or Betina yet, especially Bear?

Emeraldgreen
09-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Oh my gosh!! What a happy ending to this incredible story. It's so amazing that a cat can show up at the door of a Pettalker in need of help and a week or so later after vet checks and a clean bill of health have a brand new home with another Pet Talk person! That is the coolest! :)
Great pics and by the way Moesha, I love the giraffe shirt!!!
Thank you both for making sure this guy was well taken care of. He went from being homeless, hungry and lonely and became a loved family member. That's the best!

kimlovescats
09-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks everyone!

Lori, I'm rather pale ... I did not do the suntan thing this year at all! Plus I didn't get to bed until 5:45 am. I was up all night not feeling well ... that way again tonight! Crazy stomach troubles and raging hormones!:rolleyes: Being a woman is such fun! LOL!

Anyway ... Grace, that's very sweet of you to say. Nope, I am saving the doggie introduction until tomorrow! I don't want him hightailing it outta here!:eek::)

Medusa
09-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Oh what a heartwarming ending! Just look at the title of your thread and then look at how things turned out. It's wonderful for everyone involved. Bless all of you. This little guy doesn't know how lucky he is but I'll bet he's beginning to figure it out. :p:love:

pitc9
09-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Yeahhh!!!
Life can't get any better once you've found a home with a PT'er!
:D

Taz_Zoee
09-13-2008, 10:40 AM
This is so exciting! I was directed here from Moesha's post in Willow Oaks thread. Woo Hoo!! :D :D Kim pulls through again. :)

Laura's Babies
09-13-2008, 12:54 PM
HI KIM! HI MOESHA! Kim, you have lost a lot of weight? Looks like it! You came through again for someone in need. A little blackie too, he is so cute! I love blackies, they have a special place in my heart, every one I have had have been so special.

Moesha, isn't Kim just the sweetiest person you ever met? She is one of the few PT'er I have personally met and I think she has the cutiest voice.. I've often thought about asking her if she would adopt me! :D

GREAT ENDING YOU TWO!

kimlovescats
09-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Thank you for all the sweet comments, everyone! Laura, you are a sweetheart too and I'll never forget the joy of meeting you!!! Yes, I have lost about 25lbs. over the past few months. I need to lose more but I'm happy for those!;)

I'll be posting more pics of the new little guy before too long. He's doing great!:):love:

orangemm
09-13-2008, 02:29 PM
I just love happy endings! You guys are so lucky to live close to each other. What great luck.

so happy for little Percy!!!

momtomany
09-13-2008, 06:50 PM
What a perk me up to know this sweet baby who looks like my RB Alex has a wonderful home. Thanks so much.
By the way, understand the raging women hormones!! Between them and raging hot flashes, I am just a happy camper!

krazyaboutkatz
09-14-2008, 05:36 PM
I just finished reading this thread and I'm so glad that everything worked out for Percy.:) PT homes are the best.:)

Anikaca77
09-14-2008, 07:38 PM
This is such a great ending!

I'm so Happy!

CONGRATS!!