PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Cajun Jambalaya recipe?

kt_luvs_kitties
09-05-2008, 02:11 PM
I want to try to make a jambalaya, but I want to try one that someone else has tried first:p

Does anyone have one they can share, that is easy and good, without a zillion ingredients? :D

smokey the elder
09-05-2008, 02:40 PM
I think "jambalaya" and "without a zillion ingredients" is probably a contradiction in terms. ;) A basic one should start with a light roux; should have celery and onions, rice (of course), Cajun spices (you can probably use one of Emeril's premix "essences") and one or more of the following: chicken, shrimp, Andouille sausage, crawfish, or whatever else suits your fancy.

kt_luvs_kitties
09-05-2008, 02:55 PM
LOL- I did not clarify! I mean, like shrimp, chicken, sausage, etc etc. all together!:D

I would like to use just spicy italian sausage or the like;)

Cincy'sMom
09-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Jambalaya is one of those things that nobody really has an exact receipe for...at least I don't! I saute celery and onions, peppers, mix in some salsa ( add salsa to a lot things...already cut tomatoes, onions and peppers, works great in casseroles, chili etc), spices, rice, and whatever meats I have on hand. I started by looking at several different receipes and combingin things I liked about them and leaving out things I didn't!

The easiest way to make it is to get a Zatarain's box mix and had your sausage to that.

Sevaede
09-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Andouille sausage is a spicy cajun sausage. I've seen shrimp and chicken used most in jambalaya. I would recommend Tony Chachere's for the cajun seasoning. :D

Karen
09-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Yeah, isn't the "recipe" for Jambalaya:

1. take large pot
2. Add "the good stuff" - as much or as little as you want
3. Throw in a mess of spices - to your taste.
4. Stir, heat for a while, enjoy!
5. Place leftovers in fridge for next day.

Moesha
09-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Here's a link (http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/sausagechickenjambalaya.shtml) to a recipe that Emeril had for jamabalaya on Good Morning America awhile ago. You can use it as sort of a guide for amounts and such and then just add things you like and take away things you don't. It is usually better the second day after seasonings have gotten to blend better too.

caseysmom
09-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Moesha, I may take that camping in a few weeks that sounds really good, I think I will subsitute shrimp for all the meat though.

jennielynn1970
09-05-2008, 08:34 PM
To me, this is not a complicated dish. There are a bunch of ingredients, but it's worth it. It is VEGETABLE JAMBALAYA, so just add in your sausage or whatnot. It's basically a one pot meal, and not difficult.

This is a winter dish for me. It makes great leftovers.

Vegetable Jambalya

3 Tbsp. oil
1 c. diced onion
2 zucchini squash diced
2 cloves garlic minced
3.4 c. diced celery
1/2 c. diced carrots
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. paprika
1 bay leaf
1 red bell pepper diced
1 greed pepper diced
1 can black eyed peas
28 oz. can plum tomatoes chopped with juice
2 tsp. parsley
3 1/4 c. vegetable broth
1 1/2 c. uncooked rice

Heat oil in large pot. Add onion and cook for 10 minutes. Add garlic, celery and carrots. Cook 1 minute longer. Mix in spices and herbs, and peppers, peas, tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cook on low temperature 10 minutes.

30 minutes before serving, add zucchini, bring to a boil. Stir in rice, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve. Serves 6.

Laura's Babies
09-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Since I live in Cajun country, I make Jambalaya all the time.. LOVE the stuff but I don't use a recipe. I like a pork and smoked sausage one the best but you can change it up to add anything you want.. I will tell you how I make it.. It is simple but has the taste I love!

I put my cut up pork steaks in a heavy pot and brown it with a good dose of salt, pepper and garlic granules (don't be stingy with any of this). I let that cook down a bit to tenderize the meat, add my smoked sausage and about a cup of chopped onions, celery (and what other veggies you like, I just use these) and let them cook until the onions are clear. I add 4 cups of water and let that come to a boil.. I add Kitchen Bouguet as seen here http://www.drhot.net/kitchenbouquet.html to make it the color I like, I like mine dark. I add 1 teasoppn of salt for every cup of rice used and add the rice (I use long grain rice) when the water starts to boil. Cut the fire down to a slow simmer and let cook until the water is asorbed. Pull it off the fire and let it sit about 15 minutes before serving. You can add Cayanne pepper to spice it up when adding the salt, pepper and garlic granules. I sometimes use fresh garlic but still use the garlic granules because I love the taste it gives my Jambalaya.

The great thing about Jambalaya is there is no right way or wrong way to make it. I have a friend that used left over baked ham one time and said that was really good too. It is your OWN tastes that dictates to you how to make it.

sirrahbed
09-06-2008, 08:50 PM
I have made this several times in the past few months and think it is just so yummy!! It came from my Simple & Delicious (by Taste of Home) magazine. It is rather a cheat but I think it tastes just as good as the stuff we used to eat in Shreveport:D Surely not as good as LB's authentic version but great if you want EASY!!

1 package (8 ounces) red beans and rice mix (I like Louisiana brand but Zatarains is good too)
1/2 pound smoked sausage, sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce, optional
Directions:
Cook red beans and rice mix according to package directions.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute sausage and onion in oil until onion is tender. Add the shrimp, tomatoes, brown sugar and hot sauce if desired. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Stir in rice mixture. Yield: 4 servings.

Oggyflute
09-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Yeah, isn't the "recipe" for Jambalaya:

1. take large pot
2. Add "the good stuff" - as much or as little as you want
3. Throw in a mess of spices - to your taste.
4. Stir, heat for a while, enjoy!
5. Place leftovers in fridge for next day.

I know what you mean! I can quite easily get 'out of control' cooking these types of recipies, a lot of the time I forget to write down what I actually put in. :D