PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been told by their doctor...

moosmom
09-04-2008, 08:18 PM
that soy products can screw with your thyroid??? That's what my friend told me her doctor asked her as her thyroid test was a bit off.

I eat edemame alot, which are soybeans. Just curious.

Daisy and Delilah
09-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Donna, here's an article about it. I found quite a few online. Thanks for this info. I have a thyroid condition and knew nothing about it either.

www.westonaprice.org/soy/darkside.html

Freedom
09-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Yes, I was also advised of this. Here is a link from the Mayo Clinic. Do a google search, tons of hits!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyperthyroidism/AN00454

catnapper
09-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Yup, I knew about it because my family has a HUGE history of thyroid disease in women.

Sirrahsim
09-04-2008, 09:14 PM
absolutely! I avoid soy products as much as I can.

moosmom
09-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Wow. Looks looks like edemame is off my diet.

smokey the elder
09-05-2008, 09:28 AM
If you follow the advice in the Mayo link and take meds first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, you should be OK. I've been on Synthroid for almost 20 years and haven't had any trouble with any food.

sirrahbed
09-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Yes, I have Graves disease myself and have been warned away from any soy products. I used them at one time for hot flashes and I also like edamame and crunchy soybeans, but understand it to be a no no:) I eat them sometimes anyway but recently my thyroid dose is screwed up again. I guess for that reason alone I should probably stay away from the products for the most part. Four out of five in my immediare family have thyroid disease.

A favorite site I use is Mary Shomon's http://thyroid.about.com/

Marigold2
09-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Same here been taking it for 20 years as well. Good thing it's only $4.00 a month.

If you follow the advice in the Mayo link and take meds first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, you should be OK. I've been on Synthroid for almost 20 years and haven't had any trouble with any food.